Dev channel update to 89.0.723.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 89.0.723.0 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is our first build for version 89, and here’s everything exciting it’s got: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to run an on-demand scan for leaked passwords from the Passwords Settings page. 
  • Added a website permission to Cookies and Site Data for pre-loading websites. 
  • Added an option to have downloaded PDFs open in the default PDF reader instead of Edge.
  • Added keyboard shortcut information to the Share, Copy, and Paste Settings page. 
  • Enabled work from Chromium to reduce battery usage by background tabs. 
  • Enabled support for management policies from Chromium for Printing Allowed Background Graphics Modes and Printing Background Graphics Default. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge doesn’t start and instead gives an error that the “side by side configuration is invalid”. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch on Linux. 
  • Fixed a crash on shutdown when the browser is closed quickly after creating a new tab. 
  • Fixed a crash during shutdown. 
  • Fixed a crash when using vertical tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where re-opening an IE mode tab that was previously closed sometimes crashes the browser. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where there’s an invisible or un-selectable tab in the tab strip. 
  • Fixed an issue where the … menu’s icon direction is vertical instead of horizontal. 
  • Fixed an issue where middle-clicking on a folder in the Favorites menu doesn’t open all its content in new tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the Favorites menu or History menu button when the menu is open doesn’t close the menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain website permissions in Settings are blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where the button in Settings to manage printers doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes suggests older or out-of-date passwords for websites. 
  • Fixed an issue where resizing a window after taking a Web Capture sometimes results parts of the capture not being able to be annotated. 
  • Fixed an issue where webpages in certain languages don’t trigger an offer to translate them to the user’s default language. 
  • Fixed an issue where features such as zoom or right-click sometimes don’t work properly in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn’t show any choices in the voice options dropdown. 
  • Fixed an issue where videos that are only partially onscreen sometimes are resized instead of clipped. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting text into the title of a Collection instead creates a text note. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding Price Comparison info from the Shopping flyout into a Collection sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge updates sometimes take a long time. 
  • Fixed an issue where updating Edge sometimes causes apps installed as websites to lose their Taskbar shortcut icons. 
  • Fixed an issue where an alert that a saved password has been leaked is shown even though there’s been no leaked password detected.    
  • Fixed an issue where work or school management of the Windows Taskbar sometimes results in multiple Edge shortcuts on the Taskbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where moving a window to a different monitor sometimes results in IE mode tabs not being the correct size. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge.  In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, your bug finding and feedback filing is what makes this all possible! 

42 Replies

@josh_bodner Front page teaser upon first opening this says something about "ability to move tabs between profiles". don't see anything about that here?

@josh_bodner Yes, I have been on Windows Insider Dev builds. This happens for any "installed" website - e.g. Discord, Hacker News, Youtube Music, etc. I uninstalled 726 yesterday shortly after you put up the post with news of the fix (since I wanted to start from a clean state), and installed it anew. I installed the previously mentioned websites as apps, and shortly thereafter the 727 update came, and the icons were lost again.

@Scharkenberg 

since we are both on Dev channel of Windows insider and are experiencing the same thing, maybe it's somehow related to these 2 issues regarding pinned sites to taskbar:

https://blogs.windows.com/windows-insider/2020/12/03/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-202...

@aach1 it's still turned off by default and hidden behind a flag.  I only mention features here once they're turned on by default for all users in Dev and Canary.  

@josh_bodner Hi, it's been 2 updates since and still no fix on this: Losing ability to set permission for individual cookies - Microsoft Tech Community. It's not even acknowledged in "Known Issue" too for last 2 updates.

Is there really no one reporting this other than me and @HotCakeX ? Individual cookie permission capability is make or break for me, and with this breaking down for 4-5 updates since, I might have to return to Chrome :cry:

Thanks

@flyingplastic 

@flyingplastic wrote:

@josh_bodner Hi, it's been 2 updates since and still no fix on this: Losing ability to set permission for individual cookies - Microsoft Tech Community. It's not even acknowledged in "Known Issue" too for last 2 updates.

Is there really no one reporting this other than me and @HotCakeX ? Individual cookie permission capability is make or break for me, and with this breaking down for 4-5 updates since, I might have to return to Chrome :cry:

Thanks

Yup, I keep testing it after every version of canary that i install and so far nothing

Version 89.0.729.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

to show again how easy it is to reproduce this issue:

Step 1:

in here: edge://settings/content/cookies

gfdgfd.png

Step 2:

do a search in Bing, Google, visit a page that has cookies etc.

fdfsd.png

Step 3:

fdsfds.png

Step 4:

dsdsa.png

when we press "Allow" or "Clear upon exit", none of those domains are added to the respective lists in here: edge://settings/content/cookies

@HotCakeX It looks like that Cookies In Use popup needs a lot of love in general.  If you click on specific cookies instead of overall categories in the Block tab, it grays out the Allow and Clear Upon Exit buttons entirely, which suggests that they're completely not functional (as you've seen) but they forgot to gray them out when you click on the top-level category.  That, along with the off-spec scrollbar and many dark theme glitches with dark text on dark background, makes me thing that this is either something we shouldn't be showing to begin with, or is in the process of being replaced, so let me ask the team about it.  

@josh_bodner but it wasn't like that 5-6 dev release ago, and even current Google Chrome implementation allows individual cookies to be unblocked/marked "Clear upon exit" in that "Cookies In Use" popup. Removing this feature is definitely not a good thing for usability (it forces us to manually type in the address in the setting page, instead of what wasn't broken way of just click the individual cookie and click allow).

@josh_bodner 

Spoiler

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX It looks like that Cookies In Use popup needs a lot of love in general.  If you click on specific cookies instead of overall categories in the Block tab, it grays out the Allow and Clear Upon Exit buttons entirely, which suggests that they're completely not functional (as you've seen) but they forgot to gray them out when you click on the top-level category.  That, along with the off-spec scrollbar and many dark theme glitches with dark text on dark background, makes me thing that this is either something we shouldn't be showing to begin with, or is in the process of being replaced, so let me ask the team about it.  

Hi,

when I click on specific cookies instead of overall categories in the Block tab

dsadsa.png

I find it expected and normal for the "allow" and "clear upon exit" buttons to gray out, because at that point I'm selecting "cookies" folder, which is not anything specific and only shows me contents of that cookie.

but why should they be grayed out when I select "bing.com" ? what I expect (same as other user) is for those buttons to work and add the top level domain that we select to the respective lists in here

edge://settings/content/cookies

fdfs.png

@josh_bodner I have two Windows 10 machines one on build 2004 it has  Microsoft Edge is up to date.Version 89.0.723.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit) installed on it. It has Sync options for Open Tabs and History enabled.

CopyQ.tVhzAT.png

Another computer has 20H2 and the same build and the Open Tabs and History are greyed out. Why?

Thanks for the reply and the link. The syncing of Open Tabs and History is now available on both browsers today.

That's good, you're welcome!

@josh_bodner  -- Why is it that Sync constantly breaks with each release of Edge no matter what channel?  I just formatted my laptop to fix a Windows Insider 10 update issue and Edge DEV is a new install and still will not sync.  Sits at "Setting up Sync" and never gets anywhere.  I am testing Beta/Canary now to see if they will work so I get at least one browser working.  Please address this permanently.

Thanks!

In Default browser, in Settings, the "Make default" button shows as "Criar padrão" in Brazilian Portuguese, but it should be "Tornar padrão".

And clicking the cookies icon in the address bar shows "x de cookies de terceiros bloqueados" instead of "x cookies de terceiros bloqueados".

@josh_bodner I confirmed with the feature owner that we are indeed in the process of completely replacing the Cookies In Use dialog with our own implementation, which is why this one has fallen into a state of disrepair (some of our underlying changes must have unintentionally changed something this was relying on).  We expect the new one to be ready by the time 89 goes to Beta (or sooner!), so they're still deciding on making fixes to this one in the meantime.  

@Chris Childerhose If you want to try something we've been working on, you can enable the  flag and then click the Reset button in Sync Settings.  However, we usually only see this sort of thing with work/school profiles, so if you're not using one of those, could you send feedback from the affected machine?  That will get us logs that will help us understand how to prevent this in the future.  

@eduardobragaxz I see your feedback, as well as some other mentioning these issues.  It looks like this is one area that our feedback categorization is a little weak in, since a lot of these things are automatically translated before they're looked at, so it's a lot harder to see what the issue is!  I'll ask our feedback processing team what to do about issues like these in the future, especially if there's a better way for them to be notified of translation issues, and then I'll also look into getting these specific issues fixed too.  

Thank you and thank you!

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@josh_bodner I confirmed with the feature owner that we are indeed in the process of completely replacing the Cookies In Use dialog with our own implementation, which is why this one has fallen into a state of disrepair (some of our underlying changes must have unintentionally changed something this was relying on).  We expect the new one to be ready by the time 89 goes to Beta (or sooner!), so they're still deciding on making fixes to this one in the meantime.  

If that's the case then it's alright, knowing that something better is on the way is enough for me, can leave this one as it is.