Dev channel update to 89.0.723.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 89.0.723.0 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is our first build for version 89, and here’s everything exciting it’s got: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to run an on-demand scan for leaked passwords from the Passwords Settings page. 
  • Added a website permission to Cookies and Site Data for pre-loading websites. 
  • Added an option to have downloaded PDFs open in the default PDF reader instead of Edge.
  • Added keyboard shortcut information to the Share, Copy, and Paste Settings page. 
  • Enabled work from Chromium to reduce battery usage by background tabs. 
  • Enabled support for management policies from Chromium for Printing Allowed Background Graphics Modes and Printing Background Graphics Default. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge doesn’t start and instead gives an error that the “side by side configuration is invalid”. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch on Linux. 
  • Fixed a crash on shutdown when the browser is closed quickly after creating a new tab. 
  • Fixed a crash during shutdown. 
  • Fixed a crash when using vertical tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where re-opening an IE mode tab that was previously closed sometimes crashes the browser. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where there’s an invisible or un-selectable tab in the tab strip. 
  • Fixed an issue where the … menu’s icon direction is vertical instead of horizontal. 
  • Fixed an issue where middle-clicking on a folder in the Favorites menu doesn’t open all its content in new tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the Favorites menu or History menu button when the menu is open doesn’t close the menu. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain website permissions in Settings are blank. 
  • Fixed an issue where the button in Settings to manage printers doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes suggests older or out-of-date passwords for websites. 
  • Fixed an issue where resizing a window after taking a Web Capture sometimes results parts of the capture not being able to be annotated. 
  • Fixed an issue where webpages in certain languages don’t trigger an offer to translate them to the user’s default language. 
  • Fixed an issue where features such as zoom or right-click sometimes don’t work properly in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn’t show any choices in the voice options dropdown. 
  • Fixed an issue where videos that are only partially onscreen sometimes are resized instead of clipped. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting text into the title of a Collection instead creates a text note. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding Price Comparison info from the Shopping flyout into a Collection sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge updates sometimes take a long time. 
  • Fixed an issue where updating Edge sometimes causes apps installed as websites to lose their Taskbar shortcut icons. 
  • Fixed an issue where an alert that a saved password has been leaked is shown even though there’s been no leaked password detected.    
  • Fixed an issue where work or school management of the Windows Taskbar sometimes results in multiple Edge shortcuts on the Taskbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where moving a window to a different monitor sometimes results in IE mode tabs not being the correct size. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  This issue should be reduced now that automatic deduplication has been introduced into Insider channels.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the manual deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for the automatic deduplication to make it to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge.  In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, your bug finding and feedback filing is what makes this all possible! 

42 Replies
Hi, thanks for the update,
is there going to be an indication to show which features are available on Edge linux versus Edge Mac/Windows ?

because Mac and Windows have pretty much the same set of features (I'm not aware of any difference), but on Linux, sync is not available, read aloud is not available, vertical tabs is not available and so on.

so I think since Edge on Linux is only available on the Dev channel, it'd be great to have a separate section in weekly change logs to talk about some of the Linux-specific features too.

thank you
Playing Netflix in high quality isn't working in the Linux version.
The PlayReady DRM feature in the Linux Edge. Is there any update coming up? I use that feature in my regular Windows PC for Netflix.
@josh_bodner I noticed that scanning for password leaks manually was already available in version 88.0.705.15.

@dicastropr If I'm not wrong, PlayReady DRM is only available on Windows, so probably it is not possible to bring it to Linux. 

@josh_bodner 

Fixed an issue where clicking on the Favorites menu or History menu button when the menu is open doesn’t close the menu.

This has been fixed when clicking with a mouse but not using touch. Touching the favorite or history icons when the menu is open just closes and reopens them immediately.

It's not fixed here. I can still close them by clicking their respective buttons, either pinned or not. I'm using my laptop's touchpad, but I don't know if it differs from a mouse.
Should I be sending feedback on translation somewhere else? It's been a while since I've been sending feedback on buttons and labels that have weird translations, but none of them have been fixed.
Why did you guys took the tab hover card flags out? :(

@eduardobragaxz 

@eduardobragaxz wrote:
Why did you guys took the tab hover card flags out? :(

Josh could answer that but i think they did it because they are working on Tab previews that is about to come out in January

They did the same thing with Tab groups, a couple of versions ago they removed all flags related to Tab groups, then few weeks later we got tons of flags for Tab groups and bunch of new features.

flags related to PWAs are also removed, there were a couple of them, I'm assuming we will be seeing an improvement for them soon as well.

I think they introduce some codes as flags, let users test them, then they gather data and feedback, they take them off, work on them, reintroduce the improved and enhanced version of the feature.

@josh_bodner 

• Fixed an issue where updating Edge sometimes causes apps installed as websites to lose their Taskbar shortcut icons.

Unfortunately, this is still happening even on builds >= 89.0.723.0 (Dev and Canary) on my machine, including today's Canary (727).

Nothing on the new Download UI issues.

Disability and medication side-effect brain fog means I'm not always as clear as I could be, and I think I didn't express myself well last week, so I'll have another go.

There are quite a few Edge (and Google Chrome) users who really dislike the native Edge (and Google Chrome) download bar/shelf at the bottom of the screen. They broadly fall into two groups,

Group One (which includes me) like having a download bar/shelf at the bottom but really hate the native one for one or more reasons. That it - or a mouseover over a download in it - doesn't show the speed or the file location it's saving in, or that the bar/shelf is too tall and takes up too much space in the tab, or a bunch of other specific features of the default bar/shelf.

Group Two are people who are viscerally offended by any download bar/shelf, and instead want a button in the toolbar that opens a dropdown panel (like the favourite or history ones) with the current and last few downloads in it that can be interacted with in the panel while leaving their current tab on screen underneath.

Up to now, all such people were catered for in Edge, and Google Chrome, and even Firefox, by a plethora of 'download manager' extensions in the Edge, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox extensions stores. There are extensions that disable the native download bar/shelf and provide custom download bars/shelves that are different sizes, provide different info on running downloads, with some also providing more on mouseover, etc. There are extensions that disable the native download bar/shelf and instead provide a toolbar button with a dropdown panel of running downloads that can be popped open, then closed without changing tab to keep an eye on things while doing something in another tab. The one I have used for a long time in Firefox, and there's also a Google Chrome version which I have installed in both Chrome and Edge, has loads of options: download shelf or not, toolbar button too, download bar has config options for size, multi rows, what info is displayed on bar or in popup on mouseover, colours of everything etc, etc. Basically pretty much anyone can configure it for the download UI they want, whatever that is.

BUT

ALL of these extensions start by DISABLING THE DOWNLOAD BAR/SHELF so they can then replace it with the custom bar/shelf or toolbar dropdown.

AND YOU HAVE COMPLETELY WRECKED THE USABILITY OF EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM IN EDGE.

In Edge as it was, as still in Google Chrome, and in Firefox, when one clicks for a download, a download dialogue opens (under the cursor/pointer, which is handy as one doesn't have to scroll somewhere at the bottom). In the dialogue is the choice of open or save/save as (and in Firefox there's an option to set the rest as default BY FILETYPE, so e.g. it will remember to open pdfs in the browser but ask for a save-as location for zips, etc). If one of the download manager extensions is present, the native download bar/shelf is disabled, and the extension provided download bar/shelf and/or toolbar dropdown does its thing.

In Edge as NOW, you have put the open/save/save-as ON THE NATIVE DOWNLOAD BAR/SHELF. Which is DISABLED by ALL of theses extensions. So the user gets NO OPEN/SAVE/SAVE-AS IN THE UI. Did NOBODY, not one, in the Edge team know that there are users who like different bars or toolbar dropdowns and therefore have the native dropdown bar/shelf disabled by extensions so you were removing a vital part of the download UI?

As it stands, to use these extensions for different dropdown bars/shelves or toolbar dropdowns, as well as clicking for the download, we now have to additionally open edge://downloads/all and go to it to get the open/save/save-as for each download. Which is bad enough for just one, but if downloading a dozen zip files, or twenty pictures, having to change tabs to edge://downloads/all then back again for every single download is just ... it's just "I'm not using this expletive, expletive, expletive-upped browser, I'm going back to Firefox or Google Chrome" is what it is.

In moving the open/save/save-as to the native download shelf you have WRECKED the usability for everyone who does much downloading and knows the interface they need for that downloading, and will put many people off from moving from Chrome or Firefox. And frankly the number of different download manager extensions of this type in the Chrome, Edge and Firefox stores should tell you that there's a lot of users who have very specific, different wants for their downloading UI. Until you made this dumb, not researched or thought through change, they were all catered for in their assorted wants and needs by the extensive ecosystem of extensions of this type. Now you have basically screwed that entire ecosystem and all those users.

My download manager extension of choice in Firefox for many years is also one of the (few) Mozilla officially recommended extensions, and has the most users of any extensions of that type with Firefox. And there is a version (same author) for Google Chrome with all the same features. Which works in Edge. And I can save the settings (it's very customisable with options for virtually aspect of a download bar and/or toolbar dropdown) from the Firefox instance and load them into the Google Chrome and Edge instances. Which meant that in Edge, with the extension disabling the native download shelf and producing the exact, more expansive UI I've been used to for many years in Firefox and the occasional foray with Chrome and the Chrome version of the extension, I was very happy with my download experience in Edge - that was one aspect I didn't have a problem with and didn't get involved in discussions about little things about the native download shelf. I just never imagined you'd go and do something that broke an entire expansive ecosystem of extensions that provided a huge range of choice for Edge users.

If it stays like this, there are a whole bunch of Firefox and Chrome users who, if they try Edge, will give up in disgust and go back whence they came when they find it's stuck with a to-them inadequate native download UI, but one implemented in a way that completely borks the download manager extensions they use and which would otherwise be usable in Edge if you'd only not put the open/save/save-as on the download bar/shelf.

GET THE OPEN/SAVE/SAVE-AS OFF THE DOWNLOAD BAR/SHELF so download manager extensions are usable again as disabling the native download is the FIRST step for any extension providing an alternate UI. Give users back the large choice they have with the extensions usable.

I will be making no use of Edge now other than checking each release to see if you have made a change so the extensions are usable again, which means GET THE OPEN/SAVE/SAVE-AS OFF THE DOWNLOAD BAR/SHELF.

P.S.

1 If I did want to use the native downloader UI (which I don't) I would find it highly annoying that if I pressed the show all downloads button at the right end of the bar so I switched to a view of the edge://downloads tab to see how things are going with the extra info there, if I then switch back to the first tab the shelf has been closed with no way to open it again I can find.

2 You should show the file path of the saved file on the downloads page. I shouldn't have to actually open the folder to find out which it was if I've forgotten.

3 Two features of Firefox downloading I'd be loath to give up even if everything else in Edge was OK: (i) there's an option in the save dialog to set, and in the Options pages a UI to change, what should happen with links to files by MIME-type - always open in browser or different app, always save to download folder, always save-as, always ask - so e.g. in my Firefox PDFs always open in the browser without any dialogues after clicking on the link, whereas EXEs and mp4s always open a save as dialogue; and on top of that Firefox also remembers the last saved to directory by filetype, so e.g. while mine always opens a save-as dialogue if I click a link to an EXE and an mp4, if it's an EXE the save-as dialogue opens starting in my downloaded programs folder on my D drive, but if it's an mp4 the save as dialogue opens in whichever sub-sub-sub directory of my E drive I last saved an mp4 to. Edge really needs to implement these features if you want to convert a lot of Firefox users to Edge (including me). People used to these features are really not going to want to move to a browser where every save dialogue opens to just the one specified folder on one drive.

@Scharkenberg 

Spoiler

@Scharkenberg wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Unfortunately, this is still happening even on builds >= 89.0.723.0 (Dev and Canary) on my machine, including today's Canary (727).

yup same here, although im on Windows insider Dev channel and I thought that's the culprit 

@DavidGB 

@DavidGB wrote:

ALL of these extensions start by DISABLING THE DOWNLOAD BAR/SHELF so they can then replace it with the custom bar/shelf or toolbar dropdown.

Just a logical question, were any of those extensions made for Edge specifically?

if the answer is yes => then they would be compatible with the changes in Edge.

if the answer is no => then they are incompatible.

the reason is, they were made for Chrome.

so not all extensions fail, only those that are not made for Edge. of course there can be an extension that works with the new changes to downloads in Edge, just someone needs to develop it.

like if I was a browser developer and wanted to use Chromium, I shouldn't be afraid that oh if I do this, if i change that, if i listen to my users and do what they say, then some extensions made for another browser (Chrome) won't work with my browser. that would be crippling and not give me enough freedom to build the user experience i want. if my browser was so similar to Chrome, then there is no point in making my browser, everybody could just use Chrome and stay happy.

Ahhh thanks!

@Rohit Yadav correct, PlayReady is a technology specific to Windows 10, so you won't even see it on Mac.  

@Migue333 Good catch, I'll make sure the devs know!

@eduardobragaxz Can you give me an example of some of the feedback so I can look for it in our database?  I'll also ask our translation team what the best way to send feedback on those issues is.  

@eduardobragaxz the tab hover cards flag was from Chromium, not us, so it likely just expired in this version.  

@Scharkenberg Are you on a Windows Insider build like @HotCakeX?  Also, does uninstalling and reinstalling the app change anything, and do you have any example you can share of websites that this happens on?