SOLVED

Dev channel update to 88.0.692.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 88.0.692.0 to the Dev channel.  While there aren’t many product updates to mention this week, we do have some articles for you: 

As for everything in the product this week: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to pin a website to the Start Menu. 
  • Enabled support for Guided Switch on Mac. 
  • Added the ability for Kiosk Mode to open all popups in new tabs instead of windows. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch when Edge is set to restore the previous session. 
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when opening certain PDFs. 
  • Fixed a crash when syncing Collections. 
  • Fixed a hang during navigation. 
  • Fixed an issue where some PDFs opened straight from the internet fail to load. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes flicker or flash constantly. 
  • Fixed an issue where the button to close an InPrivate window doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where work or school users sometimes don’t see the personalization or changes away from the default that they expect to see on the new tab page. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Force Sync management policy didn’t work when using on-premises profiles. 
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page shows an error that “Something is wrong” when certain management policies are applied. 
  • Fixed an issue where pages sometimes don’t have images properly added to their entries in a Collection. 

Known issues: 

• Certain extensions such as the Microsoft Editor extension don’t work on Linux.  As soon as they’re installed, they crash and are disabled.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge.  In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

Just as a heads up, next week’s update will be the last update for the month due to upcoming holidays. 

35 Replies

@josh_bodner 

The new icons in Canary are growing on me I do not know if I partially, like them but I see where Microsoft is going. They are trying to make the icons round and more fluent and not like Chrome's icons

@HotCakeX 

It's not there for me in Canary channel, version 88.0.697.0.

@MarinM 

@MarinM wrote:

@HotCakeX 

It's not there for me in Canary channel, version 88.0.697.0.

Maybe not in Canary but in Dev Version 88.0.692.0 it's there

or it could be a controlled feature rollout where it's available only to a portion of insiders.

@HotCakeX Interesting. I don't see that option to "pin to start" despite running the current dev build. I see:

DWAnderson2_0-1605195391411.png

Then it's definitely a controlled feature rollout.

@josh_bodner  Please Add Dictionary to the Right-click Context menu when we select a word.

hi
very very thanks
problem solved
king regurds
Great, have a good one!

@josh_bodner Two things have changed on my computer: I have updated to this weekly dev channel update, and I updated Windows to 20H2.

I have many tabs that I keep open.  Before the two things above, I could load edge (with all my ~100 tabs) and in a minute task manager would report that about 2-4 GB of memory are being used.  

After the Tuesday updates, Task Manager now reports that edge is using, and I have double checked this, 19,633 MB (19 GB) That's with a G.  

Something big happened.  My first launch crashed because I was multitasking.  Now that I'm not doing anything, Edge can load but it is sitting still at 19GB, still doing a lot of network traffic after about 5 minutes, and signifigant CPU usage (fluctuates up to 25% on an 8 core system). 

Edit: 15 minutes later or so, and memory is at 15GB.  I found that my "sleeping tabs" settings had changed to 1 hour (I had been aggressive with them at 15 minutes before, due to the way I use the browser).  Changed the setting back to 15 minutes.  

Also I need to understand a bit more about how the launch boost works, I wonder if that is triggering a different way for Edge to load, which is causing the massive memory, load time, and CPU usage.

@HotCakeX I've seen MS do "A/B" testing where they roll out a change to only some users and don't really talk about it.  I'm interested!  

BTW Chrome Canary seems to be doing some major graphical changes as well FWIW.

@BenR00002145 I wouldn't think that the startup boost feature would result in this; all it does is pre-load certain Edge processes in memory when Windows starts up so that launching Edge the first time is faster.  It shouldn't change anything about how tabs within Edge are restored or loaded.  

@BenR00002145 

@BenR00002145 wrote:

@HotCakeX I've seen MS do "A/B" testing where they roll out a change to only some users and don't really talk about it.  I'm interested!  

BTW Chrome Canary seems to be doing some major graphical changes as well FWIW.

Yes that's correct, the reason they don't talk about it is probably because not all users have that feature so it'd create confusion.

umm what graphical changes? 

You're introducing new feature closing eyes on real obvious problems.
Images rendering in Chromium is totally awful. Downscaled images are very blurry comparing to Firefox. This bug was reported to Chromium team about 5 years ago.
Maybe Microsoft could resolve this problem?
I like new Edge, but looking at images makes my eyes bleeding.
best response confirmed by sorskoot (MVP)
Solution

Came for the Hololens 2 beta left with nothing? It was rumored around that Hololens 2 had a build but I'm not seeing anything?

الاغلؤبلبؤيؤقؤبزق