Dev channel update to 88.0.685.3 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 88.0.685.3 to the Dev channel.  It’s a relatively quiet week this week, although for heavy tab users, we’ve got some interesting stuff:  a discussion about what double-clicking tabs should do https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-add-ability-to-close-tabs-via-double-c..., and an overview of our upcoming vertical tabs feature https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/vertical-tabs-preview-now-available-in-the-canary-an....  Note that vertical tabs are being rolled out via our experimentation platform, which means it may take longer for some of you to see it than others.  As for everything noteworthy and new this week: 

Added features: 

• Added support for pre-rendered new tab pages on Linux. 
  • Added Mac support for the management policy to Configure Friendly URL Format. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge won’t open and gives an error message about a bad image or a missing msedge.dll. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch when favorites sync is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain browser profile names will cause Edge to crash on launch. 
  • Fixed an issue where installing a website as an app and then clicking Edge’s … menu sometimes causes a crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Application Guard. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites like Outlook sometimes fail to load and give an error that “something went wrong”. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the prompt to restore tabs after Edge unexpectedly exits does nothing if history is set to be deleted when the browser is closed.  Note that this fix disables the popup entirely. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Security section in Settings is missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where the setting to clear cookies when closing the browser sometimes ignores exceptions and clears cookies that it’s not expected to. 
  • Fixed an issue where data that’s supposed to be cleared when the browser is closed sometimes isn’t. 
  • Fixed an issue where some PDFs initially render all black or blank when opened. 
  • Fixed an issue where web captures can sometimes be closed unintentionally. 
  • Fixed an issue where copying web captures sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where initiating a web capture sometimes removes any text highlighting on a page. 
  • Fixed an issue where some parts of a web capture sometimes can’t be inked on. 
  • Fixed an issue where webpage zoom levels sometimes cause the Favorites menu to be zoomed as well. 
    Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes don’t zoom in as much as they should be able to. 
  • Fixed an issue where the certificate selection popup sometimes isn’t shown in IE mode tab. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge.  In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

Thank you for all your excitement and feedback for vertical tabs, we look forward to even more of it as more of you try them! 

41 Replies

@josh_bodner You note that Edge would sometimes clear cookies on the do not clear on exit list.  I have seen this but infrequently.  The problem with the current dev and canary builds, and one which has repeatedly appeared in earlier builds, is that cookies are not cleared on exit at all.  I have a list of five exceptions but find that on start after all windows closed that I could have dozens of domains with cookies and local storage.

I also have an issue with stable that a domain that sets local storage only but no persistent cookies and is in the exception list will have the local storage cleared on exit.  This site does set session cookies.

And while on the subject, why does the exception list on edge://settings/clearBrowsingDataOnClose not sync across installations while the lists on edge://settings/content/cookies do roam?

Rich

@josh_bodner Thanks! And are you planning to address "blur some parts of Web Captures containing personal information" soon? I think I already sent feedback.

@josh_bodner 

Letting folks know that there is a flag in edge://flags for vertical tabs.  This flag might not be avail for everyone, but do a search in  the flags window for "vert" and if you have it, it will show up.

Vert Flag 2020-10-30 143037.jpg

This is also in Canary as well..

Dennis5mile

@Dennis5mile Thanks for notifying us!!!

@Kam How can Edge detect what is or is not personal information?

My own wish for web capture is to not only have the tools available with Win+Shift+S but to support some features of MSPaint which I use including the ability to select an area and cut it, which I usually use to exclude personal information, or to add shapes such as circles, rectangles, and rounded rectangles which I use to highlight areas.

Rich

@rshupak Not Edge, we should be able to blur some parts of images, whether personal info or not.

@Kam In that case, sure though I would rather cut than blur.

@rshupak They should add the feature anyway. That is my opinion. At least it should be a toggle in edge://settings.

@Kam That I don't want.  There are too many settings.  It would be overload to have one for features such as blur vs. cut.  I absolutely want web capture, as well as Win+Shift+S to have a more functional mechanism to annotate the capture.  The free form pen only in web capture is embarrassingly insufficient.  As is the UI with the feedback tool (Alt+Shift+I).  The barely more functional Win+Shift+S is too.

@rshupak I suggested adding text onto Web Captures a few days ago via feedback.

@josh_bodner 

I have history and open tabs sync enabled but when i visit websites, they don't appear in the Windows timeline or task view.

it was mentioned before that history sync will enable visited websites to appear in there but it's not happening.

any info about this?

@HotCakeX You have it enabled, right?

@Kam 

@Kam wrote:
@HotCakeXYou have it enabled, right?

Yes i said it in my comment

@josh_bodner I looked at this more closely.  It appears that the hosts on edge://settings/siteData which are inappropriately present on start up after closing all Windows, that each has local storage but zero cookies.  This may be file storage or database storage or combinations of storage not cookies.  Here is one example.

rshupak_0-1604450217572.png

@rshupak I've already got a thread with the engineers about various "clear browsing data when closing the browser" bugs, so I'll ask them about this!  

With this update, I again got lost all the open tabs on macOS, the "Recently Closed" menu is empty again :( 

@josh_bodner Vertical tabs still not working on macOS when the Window is maximized.

@josh_bodner So what's the point of vertical tabs? When I first saw them I was excited because using a web browser on the bottom screen of an Asus Zenbook duo can be a little challenging with the lack of vertical space. I saw that and was like "wow, I can save some vertical real estate with this" except. All it does is take up horizontal space without removing any from the top.

If I can make a request can you make it so the url bar can merge with the windows bar if toggled during vertical tabs mode? It'd be much more useful then. 

@josh_bodner 

To be clear, I have two opposite issues in different channels.

In Edge stable, Version 86.0.622.61 (Official build) (64-bit), sites in the do not clear list have their storage cleared on exit when it shouldn't be.  This may be related to the fact that the site in question has cookies but all are session only not persistent.

In Edge canary, Version 88.0.689.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit), sites not in the do not clear list retain their storage across exits.  Their persistent cookies are cleared.  It looks to be as if the storage only, albeit multiple types of storage, are retained when it should be cleared.  Sites in the do not clear list do have their cookies preserved.