Dev channel update to 87.0.644.4 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 87.0.644.4 to the Dev channel.  We’ve also got some exciting announcements to make in the wake of Ignite

As for all of the noteworthy features and fixes this week: 

Added features: 

• Added dark theme support to sidebar Search. 
  • Rolled out support more broadly for Kiosk Mode automatic download deletion via management policy. 
  • Rolled out support more broadly for Kiosk Mode idle timeout. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where installing the latest version of Safari on Mac will cause Edge to show Error Code 6 instead of loading tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs don’t load. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites crash immediately. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a window. 
  • Fixed a crash when choosing where to download a file. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch on Mac. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved favorites deduplication by preventing duplicates from being able to exist to begin with.  Note that this only affects any favorites that are synced moving forward, and existing duplicates on devices must still be removed manually. 
  • Improved support for websites pinned to the Taskbar to show informational badges. 
  • Fixed an issue where smooth scrolling stops working. 
  • Fixed another cause of Youtube videos not entering fullscreen properly and instead zooming a lot or growing to the size of the whole window. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where Shy UI or the tops of webpages aren’t functional in fullscreen mode. 
  • Fixed an issue where file sharing using the Web Share API fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where unpacked extensions that fail to reload are left in a disabled state with no way to fix them. 
  • Fixed an issue where dropdown inputs on webpages sometimes don’t appear. 
  • Fixed an issue where cancelling edits on Collections items edits them anyway. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites like NFL don’t sign in properly when Tracking Prevention is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to invoke search in the Sidebar doesn’t work in PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud in PDFs doesn’t start from the current selection or location. 
  • Fixed an issue where ink drawn on PDFs appears blurry. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

We hope you’re looking forward to Edge on Linux as much as we are! 

38 Replies
"Improved favorites deduplication by preventing duplicates from being able to exist to begin with. Note that this only affects any favorites that are synced moving forward, and existing duplicates on devices must still be removed manually. "

This is such a great news! does this mean that you will eventually remove "duplicate removal tool" from Edge, like by the time version 87 reaches stable channel?

Scrolling multiple line with a mouse feels much less snappy in this build, is that a design choice? Personally this feels much worse. Scrolling a single line at a time is still perfectly responsive however.

Is trackpad pinch gesture currently increasing page zoom level a bug or a "feature" ? It feels a little odd in this last update.

Actual pinch gesture

new.gif

Previous pinch gesture

old.gif

@Wryth Nope. It's very laggy.

@josh_bodner,

I've been using Edge without smooth scrolling all this time? Since last year? How is that possible? I just disabled it and it feels just like it was before I updated to today's build. I'm in shock.

Edit: Never mind. It's just this website.

We're also tracking some issues with certain devices from certain manufacturers when it comes to trackpad behavior.  We're planning on extending some fixes to them that we had tried out on other brands of devices earlier this year, so that may also help some of you.  

Actually, I take that back. Smooth scrolling wasn't on all this time for me, and now it is. Using it side-by-side with stable Edge with smooth scrolling disabled it's very apparent. I think it's scrolling too fast, though. I don't know...

@Wryth Yes, I have same exact problem to pinch zoom for touchpad user, also the scrolling experience seems quite not good.
it felt like i'm sliding, where the previous version is much smoother for 2 finger scrolling.

aforementioned scrolling and zooming issues, but also can't swipe left or right on the trackpad to go back or forward.

@josh_bodner  Click on 3 dot menu, it shows up. Now click on vertical tabs side bar and it refuses to expand until you click again on the three dot option and close the menu. Why can't we have both?

@josh_bodner Still holding out for this issue to get resolved :folded_hands:

Re: Dev channel update to 87.0.634.0 is live - Microsoft Tech Community

@Wryth @josh_bodner  I noticed that using the trackpad's pinch gesture actually changes the browser's zoom level. The zoom level is not changed when you use the same pinch gesture on a touch-enabled PC screen, like a Surface Pro.

I'm also still having the weird paste issue I had in the previous build (didn't see anything about it being fixed) where when I paste links for JIRA tickets into Slack the shortened URL is being truncated to just the host portion of the URL vs the entire URL being represented. 

Seems to be a weird interaction, but I also seem to only have this problem with Atlassian products (JIRA and Confluence in my case, don't use any of the other products at the moment).

Also, this page will no longer scroll in the latest beta for me.

VTIVX - Vanguard Target Retirement 2045 Fund | Vanguard

@josh_bodner 

The context menu has an option to close a tab, and right below it an option to close all other tabs except current. 

This is not very convenient when using touch screen as often accidentally the lower option registers and you loose all your open tabs.

Would be nice to add a separator or an expanding sub menu under "more options" or something like that.

Cheers.

@Rahsna Asurac, it feels random. If I open a new tab, it zooms smoothly, but if I zoom a website that changes its zoom level, the new tab page will start doing the same.

@sprite-1 that seems more like a feature request than a bug, so it's probably going to take a little more time since this feature is still a work in progress anyway.  

@Michael Jones does pasting them anywhere else exhibit the same behavior, or is it just Slack that's not getting them pasted correctly?  Also, is it only that source, or can you also get other links to paste incorrectly into Slack?  Figuring out how widespread this is would really help.  

@eduardobragaxz (and everybody else experiencing trackpad issues), I've alerted our scrolling team.  Also, please make sure you file feedback from within the browser since that will get us logs that might be useful in diagnosing this.