Dev channel update to 87.0.644.4 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 87.0.644.4 to the Dev channel.  We’ve also got some exciting announcements to make in the wake of Ignite

As for all of the noteworthy features and fixes this week: 

Added features: 

• Added dark theme support to sidebar Search. 
  • Rolled out support more broadly for Kiosk Mode automatic download deletion via management policy. 
  • Rolled out support more broadly for Kiosk Mode idle timeout. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where installing the latest version of Safari on Mac will cause Edge to show Error Code 6 instead of loading tabs. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs don’t load. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites crash immediately. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a window. 
  • Fixed a crash when choosing where to download a file. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch on Mac. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved favorites deduplication by preventing duplicates from being able to exist to begin with.  Note that this only affects any favorites that are synced moving forward, and existing duplicates on devices must still be removed manually. 
  • Improved support for websites pinned to the Taskbar to show informational badges. 
  • Fixed an issue where smooth scrolling stops working. 
  • Fixed another cause of Youtube videos not entering fullscreen properly and instead zooming a lot or growing to the size of the whole window. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where Shy UI or the tops of webpages aren’t functional in fullscreen mode. 
  • Fixed an issue where file sharing using the Web Share API fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where unpacked extensions that fail to reload are left in a disabled state with no way to fix them. 
  • Fixed an issue where dropdown inputs on webpages sometimes don’t appear. 
  • Fixed an issue where cancelling edits on Collections items edits them anyway. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites like NFL don’t sign in properly when Tracking Prevention is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to invoke search in the Sidebar doesn’t work in PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud in PDFs doesn’t start from the current selection or location. 
  • Fixed an issue where ink drawn on PDFs appears blurry. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

We hope you’re looking forward to Edge on Linux as much as we are! 

38 Replies
I've managed to recreate the problem using the feedback tool from within the browser. I've recorded it and referenced this reply, so you and your team can coordinate, Josh :)
Yes, it does feel situational. As I mentioned in the feedback tool: Today Tab #1 was giving me issues, yesterday it was tab #2, while #1 was fine. It was the same pages as yesterday, so it's hard to say exactly what triggers it. But your post helped me to understand, that was what was happening, so I was able to include that info in the report, so thank you for that :)

@josh_bodnerAt this point I'm only seeing it when pasting URL's from JIRA or Confluence into Slack.  If I paste the same URL into say a Word document or an Outlook e-mail I don't seem to have an issue.  Other URL's don't seem to have the same problem in Slack that I can tell, but that may also be related to Slack's 'preview' feature where they are pulling the highlights of the link.  I submitted a bug report on the previous beta for this one.  Haven't repeated it for this version.  Let me know if doing so would help. 

Hi, a website I log into is reporting logins from an Edge browser version "Edge V86.0.622.19 (Windows)". Is this a current full release or a Dev channel update? I'm not if the login was me or an intruder.

@josh_bodner Just installed 87.0.644.4 this morning and I notice there's an issue with Extensions no longer being displayed on the tool bar. After the update there was one, then I tried to play with it by disabling/enabling them and now not a single enabled extension is visible in my toolbar.

@josh_bodner -- having issues with this DEV build crashing and closing when trying to run the Favorites Duplicate remover.  Need to have this fixed as I have switched to Canary for now since it works, but prefer DEV build.

@josh_bodner

Please pay attention to these two problems that appeared after your programmers added the "Compositor threaded scrollbar scrolling" feature to Chrome:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1133727

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1133814

@josh_bodner 

It would be great if Edge / Chrome could finally start zooming in on the image / website under the mouse cursor: "Enlarge web pages and images under the cursor, as in the Chrome version for Android"

Surprisingly, it works in ancient Internet Explorer 11! O_O LOL!!! xD

@Michael Jones Your existing bug should be fine.  We've previously made a fix specifically for Slack not treating these links properly, but it looks like we only fixed some of the causes, so I'll let the people who fixed it know.  

@raimond2 86 is our current Beta, which means it was in Dev about a month ago.  When was the login from?  

@Vlad_Koon It looks like the last one is being taken as a feature request instead of a bug, so it will probably be less of a priority.  

@josh_bodner Thanks.  In the current build, it appears to be corrected for at least the Atlassian ones I paste into Slack a lot.  I saw it on a few others but it was pretty random. Will shout if I run into it again someplace noteworthy.

@josh_bodnerIt was around the 25th September.  When was that version released?  I'm not sure how I could have installed a beta version.  I didn't use the insider site until this issue arose?  Pretty sure it was an intruder logging in unless you can explain how I would have installed that version somewhere.

@raimond2 Beta would have still been 86 (and Dev 87) at that point.  You can verify whether or not you're using one of the Insider builds by going to edge://version and seeing what the top line says.  

@Michael Jones Well, that didn't take long.  :)  Atlassian stuff is working on the paste into Slack, but I ran into some other internal sites at work that didn't paste correctly either.  

@josh_bodnerThanks Josh.  It could have auto-updated since then though, no?

Would someone have have had to have downloaded that version from a specific beta repository or was the beta offered to the general public back then via the normal release channels?

@raimond2 That version of Edge 86 would have been the exact version in Beta at that time, so it sounds like it was just a regular, up-to-date version of Beta that anybody would have had access to.  

@josh_bodner And maybe your team can somehow make an impact on fixing this behavior, which has been annoying users for more than ten years!

I suggest displaying the "Press Esc to exit full screen" tooltip no more than 2-3 times