Dev channel update to 87.0.634.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 87.0.634.0 to the Dev channel.  As you can see, this is the first release for major version 87, and we have lots of exciting new features to share!  But first, an important update about the end of Adobe Flash:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/09/04/update-adobe-flash-end-support/.  We also would like to extend a special invitation to anybody who doesn’t sign into the browser.  We want to hear from you tomorrow (September 10th) live and not in person:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/not-signing-into-the-browser-why-or-why-not-we-wo....  Now, for those exciting features: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to Open and Save As for downloaded items on the Downloads shelf before they begin downloading. For more details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/announcing-the-open-save-as-save-and-delete-prompts-....  
  • Added the ability to view a PDF’s table of contents and use it to navigate to locations within it. 
  • Added a Website Permission Setting for sites that ask to open an application after clicking on a link. 
  • Changed ClickOnce support to be enabled by default. 
  • Enabled support for a Printing Paper Size Default management policy from Chromium. 
  • Enabled support for management policies for Default File System Read Guard Setting, Default File System Write Guard Setting, File System Read Ask For Urls, File System Read Blocked For Urls, File System Write Ask For Urls, and File System Write Blocked For Urls from Chromium. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where users running the OS 11 preview (Big Sur) may have issues with all versions of Edge either crashing or not launching. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a local file sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection in an InPrivate window crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch. 
  • Fixed a crash related to sync. 
  • Fixed an issue where zooming in PDFs crashes the tab on certain devices. 
  • Fixed an occasional crash when uninstalling a website installed as an app.  
  • Fixed an issue where Edge can’t update. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleting a saved password from the Passwords management page causes the page to freeze. 
  • Fixed an occasional hang when viewing files protected with Data Loss Prevention. 
  • Fixed an issue where trying to sign into the browser with a work or school account fails on certain versions of Windows. 
  • Fixed an issue where new Collections sometimes can’t be created. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where links from other applications always open in the last used profile, regardless of which profile is chosen as the default for opening links. 
  • Fixed an issue where Microsoft Search for Business doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where text on the address bar dropdown is too small. 
  • Fixed an issue where setting the browser to delete cookies when it’s closed but also setting some exceptions sometimes results in those exceptions getting deleted. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening Edge from a shortcut pinned to the Taskbar sometimes doesn’t associate the window with that shortcut but instead creates a new entry on the Taskbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where disabling the setting to show search results in the address bar from local data like favorites and history sometimes results in the inability to directly navigate to certain URLs like chrome:// URLs, since they have to first redirect to edge:// URLs. 
  • Fixed an issue where some website permissions in Settings are missing icons. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a link that initiates a download in a new tab sometimes fails to start the download if the setting is enabled to choose where to save every downloaded file. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting URLs that have been formatted using the Link style via Share, Copy, and Paste Settings sometimes pastes only the title of the underlying page and not the actual URL. 
  • Fixed an issue where re-opening a closed tab that had the Immersive Reader activated doesn’t open the page back in reading view. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where Shy UI sometimes isn’t visible when it should be. 
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes fails to produce any search suggestions. 
  • Fixed an issue where selecting all items on an internal page like the History management page sometimes doesn’t bring up the option to delete them. 
  • Fixed an issue where a website can appear multiple times in the list of top sites on the new tab page. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes leaves behind a huge data cache. 
  • Changed PWAs and websites installed as apps to no longer re-open after the browser is restarted due to an update, crash, etc. due to user feedback.  This area is still being explored and will likely be revisited. 
  • Obsoleted the New Tab Page Company Logo management policy.  Updates to documentation and administrative templates will come later. 
  • Removed the ability to translate the new tab page using the built-in translator. 
  • Removed the ability to save passwords in Application Guard windows. 

Known issues: 

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Some users are still running into an issue where all tabs and extensions immediately crash with a STATUS_INVALID_IMAGE_HASH error.  The most common cause of this error is outdated security or antivirus software from vendors like Symantec, and in those cases, updating that software will fix it. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

Since 87 is now in Dev, look for last week’s build to make its way to Beta soon! 

37 Replies

So the end of Flash player comes here. R.I.P Adobe Flash Player, we will remember you.

@josh_bodner Cookie settings are now completely broken as they have been in canary for several builds.  ETA for a fix?

Dev:

rshupak_0-1599683651685.png

Beta:

rshupak_1-1599683739219.png

@josh_bodner 

According to their reported user agents:

Desktop Google Chrome Beta - Chrome 86

Android Google Chrome Beta - Chrome 86

Desktop Microsoft Edge Beta - Chrome 86

Android Microsoft Edge Beta - Chrome 77

77 !

Are you ever going to get a move on with Android Edge? About the only thing I've seen all year is adding collections to it, which I have no interest in. You've done nothing whatsoever about any of the missing features important to me, which means Android Edge remains unusable to me, which in turn means I can't even think about using desktop Edge.

There is a view that a significant percentage of desktop Google Chrome users chose to use it because they used Android Chrome on their phones - not the other way round. If you don't put some significant effort into making Android Edge a great deal more competitive you're liable to find your drive for desktop Edge adoption stalling.

@DavidGB 

I would imagine that after the Surface Duo releases tomorrow that there would be updates coming.  I'm sure there has been good reason to let it stay where it is.  After the release, early adopters will really be pushing to get updates.  I always hear that iOS apps have things that Android apps don't.  I would image that will start to change as more people push for the same features on both platforms.

@rshupak There's a lot of change going on in that area right now, so this is likely just bad timing on which build made it to Dev this week.  It should be fixed in Canary in a day or two.  

@josh_bodner One of the main uses I had for this feature both in the old Microsoft Edge and on browsers like Firefox is being able to determine the size of the download any possibility that can be added back? There are times when this can't be determined and for those cases, that's when it's fine for it to not show up.

sprite-1_0-1599703299232.png

Also, why is it ordered Open, Save As, Save? It should follow the convention of old Edge and IE with Open, Save, Save As and there should be the 3 options shown there by default, not just 2 (plenty of room to spare!)

since this update its eat a lot of memory and a bit of processor to, normally i have 3 pages with 50-120 tabs opened and was using 3-6gb max, now with same pages opened its using all my 16gb and makes my pc stuck. (just noticed cuz my On startup config set to Continue where you left off)  @josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner Following up on our discussion here with the additional details you inquired on.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-86-0-622-3-is-live/m-p/1649...
I noticed a strange behaviour when using Alt-Tab with Edge open in recent builds. With Edge open, the current app sometimes doesn't appear as the 'first' app when invoking the Alt-Tab menu, this behaviour only occurs when Edge is open/running interestingly.

To reproduce the Alt+Tab behaviour, I:

1. Hold down Alt

2. Press and release Tab  

3. Release Alt

Repeat these 3 steps relatively quickly and the behaviour occurs when Edge is open.

I've reproduced this using the on-screen keyboard so that it's more obvious what I'm pressing: https://imgur.com/a/FIjo0ps, copy included below as well.

I have not found this reported yet, but opening a 'folder' of tabs is broken. I have a couple of tab folders that I sometime open all - sometimes in the same window, sometimes in a new window. I get the 'Are you sure you want to open xx tabs?' but it does not open.

Verified on my wife's surface as well.

I sent this in feedback as well.

LOVE that this feature was finally added. Thanks Team!

However I definitely agree with @sprite-1

Please show all three by default.

@sprite-1 and everybody else, please make sure you each file feedback about all the things you want like having a dedicated Save button or showing the size before it starts, that way we'll get accurate counts in our database for how many people want it.  

Also, the Save option does exist; it's just in the download item's ... menu.  Personally, I know it was the option that I used the least out of the three back in the Edge Legacy days, so I'm curious if any of you have any idea how often you used the three different options?  

@Kestech When you see that happening, can you hit shift+esc to open up the Browser Task Manager and see if there's any particular tab that's using the majority of the memory?  In cases like these, that's usually the cause, specifically some advertisement on that tab acting poorly.  

@CaptnDanLKW I see that too, and it seems that it's specifically a problem with that prompt.  If you have a folder with only a small number of items in it, it successfully opens them since it doesn't bother asking for the prompt in the first place.  Good find!  

@josh_bodner wrote:

Also, the Save option does exist; it's just in the download item's ... menu.  Personally, I know it was the option that I used the least out of the three back in the Edge Legacy days, so I'm curious if any of you have any idea how often you used the three different options?  

I am aware that it's in the 3-dot menu. I personally used the Save button way more than Save As because I use it as a secondary checkpoint for "do I really want to download this file?" along with seeing its file size.

Also I have filed a Feedback.

yes I've tried it, but also figured out the problem
i copied session folder into beta version and all work perfectly
then i opened "windows" task manager to see what happening and i noticed that the early version even if i have 500 page opened they not running till i click on them, but dev and canary last version running everything in background one page by one till i get out of memory.
"its need a huge fix" i need to open my last session safely @josh_bodner 

With the end of flash coming, how are sites that use flash going to be accessible? I just started using Edge beta (coming from Chrome), and noticed flash is disabled by default on Facebook, so Facebook never loads, I just get a white screen. After enabling flash and restarting Edge, Facebook loads as expected. What happens after December?

@Kestech I'm not sure if that's something we intentionally or something we picked up from Chromium, so I'll ask.  

@Dan33185 Well, they aren't.  And it's their fault.  But major sites, especially like Facebook, should have already gotten rid of any flash dependencies long ago.  What part of Facebook are you seeing that on?  

@josh_bodnerI was seeing it just using Facebook.com, I couldn't get any further than that as it was just a white page that never loaded.