Dev channel update to 86.0.601.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 86.0.601.1 to the Dev channel.  It’s a small week for updates this week, so here’s everything that’s noteworthy: 

Added features: 

• Added support to Kiosk mode for an automatic browser restart when it’s idle. 
  • Enabled support for the Storage Access API.  Note that this was previously under a controlled rollout. 
  • Enabled a feature from Chromium that forces websites to specify the SameSite=None attribute in order to use third-party cookies.  By default, cookies without this attribute will be treated as if they’re SameSite=Lax.  See https://blog.chromium.org/2020/02/samesite-cookie-changes-in-february.html for more details. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where browser sign-in or sync sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed a crash when submitting feedback. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening Settings in a Guest window crashes the browser. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the smooth-scrolling flag went missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages can’t be translated because the prompt to translate them doesn’t appear. 
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes get stuck onscreen, even when Edge isn’t the active window. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing a profile picture for profiles that aren’t signed in doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where entering fullscreen mode sometimes results in the Shy UI not working. 
  • Fixed an issue where data sometimes can’t be imported from Firefox because it’s missing from the list of available browsers. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling sometimes doesn’t work when viewing PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting Information Protected content into a PDF sometimes doesn’t work as expected. 
  • Deprecated the User Agent Client Hints Enabled management policy. 
  • Obsoleted the TLS 1.3 Hardening For Local Anchors Enabled management policy. 

Known issues:  

• Mac users running the OS 11 preview (Big Sur) may have issues with all versions of Edge either crashing or not launching to begin with.  We’ve identified the issue and are working to get it resolved before Big Sur is officially released. 
  • Users with certain hardware are seeing changes in scrolling behavior that are unintended.  For example, pages scroll much faster than they used to.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, we couldn’t do this without your feedback! 

40 Replies

@yesthatkarim go to edge://flags/#edge-backspace-key-navigate-page-back and select Enable and it will work.

@davebac Discord is broken due to a bug from Chromium.  We're expecting to get a fix from Chromium into Canary soon, but if it doesn't make it in in the next couple of days, we likely won't see the fix in Dev until the week after next.  

@josh_bodner 

crashed for me every 10 or 20 seconds. wasn't even doing anything. just sitting there ate the bing home page. i had just done a clean install of windows for other reasons. it was working before this build. installed canary and have not seen one issue.

i do not use collections or anything fancy, no add-ins, it's just a browser.

@josh_bodner thanks! wasn't seeing under flags before, but i'm seeing it now. :folded_hands:

@hectorc7 thanks. wasn't seeing the flag before, but i see it now. :folded_hands:

@josh_bodner I had a similar Edge Dev using 100% CPU, unfortunately I was in the middle of something and not able to see which tab it was.  I did have Twitter.com open with a bunch of other tabs.  Had to close Edge & restart.

@josh_bod Good the hear.  I've been using dev channel both for testing and for most of my day-to-day use, because of generally how stable that branch has been - still keep release channel around.  I do web development, on MS stack, and so I have many web browsers installed. ;)

What is the mnemonic for: "SHIFT+ALT+I" ?  I for "input" about "feedback"?? Just curious, as I wonder what generated the logic for that KEYCOMBO.

I reported this bug a few times already but do you guys have any knowledge about losing bookmarks its been happening since January to me every now and then I would lose few bookmarks mostly from the last 24 hours sometimes the last 7 days

@SamOfficials how many different installs of Edge do you have, and across how many devices?  

Would it be possible to note under "Known Issues" that the alt tab integration of open tabs is temporarily disabled? This was mentioned in the last build's forum post and as far as I can tell that still does not appear fixed in this build either.

@josh_bodner I realised the vertical tab was on my Edge dev but right now, I don't see it. I loved the feature. Please what are the possibilities of having it back?

@josh_bodner My collections panel is also empty, everything's gone. Sync doesn't work either (sits on ''configuring data types'') and clicking on Trigger GetUpdates does nothing. 

I still have vertical tabs. I got it upon request on August 7 (10 days ago.)

@notbovvered if you haven't already, make sure you file feedback about the Collections issue.  That'll get us the logs we need to make sure this is the same issue other people have been running into.  

@josh_bodnerEdge Dev browser is using all of CPU making it unusable. Looked in browser task manager, browser process is taking all CPU even if only tab (e.g. Bing.com below) is opened. There are no extensions installed, it started happening since last machine restart, now every time browser is opened it start using all CPU within minute even with single tab.

Please fix this issue.

basil3143_0-1597809486111.png

@basil3143 do you have browsing data set to clear when you close the browser?  If not, what happens if you try to clear browsing data?  Just try clearing your cache and cookies at first.  

@josh_bodnerNothing is enabled in "Clear browsing data on close". I am able to clear all browsing data for All time without any issue. But CPU issue still there even on latest Dev version (86.0.608.2).

Update: The issue is resolved after restarting browser. Thank you very much.

@josh_bodner The issue started again, now clearing browser doesn't fix it. I am on latest Dev, have no extensions and no flags enabled

@basil3143 Given that this isn't particularly widespread, it's proving hard to investigate, so I'd like to get more info from you if I could.  Our feedback tool has recently gained the ability to record more detailed logs, and I'm hoping it's rolled out to you.  In the feedback dialog, click on the "diagnostic data" link:

josh_bodner_0-1597958871166.png

Then use the Recreate section to get a recording:

josh_bodner_1-1597958918675.png

You don't need to be doing anything specific while it's recording.  In fact, it would probably help the most to just look at Browser Task Manager while you're recording to see how the browser is performing over time.  

Then, include the phrase EdgeFeedback_krjvjek in the feedback text so it'll be easy for our engineers to find.