Dev channel update to 86.0.601.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 86.0.601.1 to the Dev channel.  It’s a small week for updates this week, so here’s everything that’s noteworthy: 

Added features: 

• Added support to Kiosk mode for an automatic browser restart when it’s idle. 
  • Enabled support for the Storage Access API.  Note that this was previously under a controlled rollout. 
  • Enabled a feature from Chromium that forces websites to specify the SameSite=None attribute in order to use third-party cookies.  By default, cookies without this attribute will be treated as if they’re SameSite=Lax.  See https://blog.chromium.org/2020/02/samesite-cookie-changes-in-february.html for more details. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where browser sign-in or sync sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed a crash when submitting feedback. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening Settings in a Guest window crashes the browser. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the smooth-scrolling flag went missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages can’t be translated because the prompt to translate them doesn’t appear. 
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes get stuck onscreen, even when Edge isn’t the active window. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing a profile picture for profiles that aren’t signed in doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where entering fullscreen mode sometimes results in the Shy UI not working. 
  • Fixed an issue where data sometimes can’t be imported from Firefox because it’s missing from the list of available browsers. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling sometimes doesn’t work when viewing PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting Information Protected content into a PDF sometimes doesn’t work as expected. 
  • Deprecated the User Agent Client Hints Enabled management policy. 
  • Obsoleted the TLS 1.3 Hardening For Local Anchors Enabled management policy. 

Known issues:  

• Mac users running the OS 11 preview (Big Sur) may have issues with all versions of Edge either crashing or not launching to begin with.  We’ve identified the issue and are working to get it resolved before Big Sur is officially released. 
  • Users with certain hardware are seeing changes in scrolling behavior that are unintended.  For example, pages scroll much faster than they used to.  We’re currently investigating. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, we couldn’t do this without your feedback! 

40 Replies

@josh_bodner As far as the video issues I've been going on and on about earlier in the previous thread, I filed bug 4954 over at angleproject. Lets see if anything comes of it. My current workaround is forcing an alternative ANGLE backend, and it seems to work so far.

@josh_bodner where da "backspace to navivgate back" feature at?

@josh_bodner 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where browser sign-in or sync sometimes fails. 

Thanks Josh, can confirm the sync issue I was having on MacOS last week is fixed :smile:

@josh_bodner is anyone else having problems with comments not appearing due to 'your cookie policy settings' at wirecutter.com?  I don't have anything special set other than standard OOB policy and no blocking addins (Lastpass, honey, amazon and grammerly).  No matter what I do I can't get them to work, which included various exemption settings in Edge that don't seem to work.

@yesthatkarim specifically, edge://flags/#edge-backspace-key-navigate-page-back

@Michael Jones does turning Tracking Prevention off or to a lower setting help?

@josh_bodner After opening up Microsoft Edge for a while (even during idle), it will spike CPU to 100% for some no reason. It will stay the same until it is killed from Task Manager. This happens on Version 86.0.601.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit). It forces me to use Firefox as of now.

I have sent the feedback but just want to know if it is actually a known issue or not and wonder when it will get fixed.

@josh_bodner is it just me or is anyone else suddenly seeing an empty Collections panel? Also, adding a page to a Collection via the right click menu shows my Collections are "(empty)".

yoSachin_0-1597322957873.png

text is not appearing in info card

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner Playing around some more last night I could not get it to work by turning anything off, etc.  I did finally get it to work in InPrivate mode.  So I gave in, bit the bullet, and reset Edge to the defaults.  It appears to be working again in both the production version and the dev version I'm running on this machine.  Maybe something just got crosswired in a previous update somewhere, as generally, I don't mess with those particular settings.  

@James Shanahben De Castro I don't seem to be having any issues with my collections showing up.

@josh_bodner Some feedback on the new vertical tab experience..  

1. I honestly don't like the location of the toggle.  It's right next to my pinned tabs and I find myself hitting it too frequently on accident, which is jarring.
  2. default behavior is autohide, which is great for maximizing screen behavior but it makes basic tab management painfull.  Having to open the panel, find the tab I'm on (thankfully highlighted), hover over it to get it to pop out and then click x to close is just too many steps.  I should be able to close the tab much faster from the top bar that remains somehow.
  3. Same as number 2 can be said for other tab things like muting sound, etc.  Just too cumbersome IMHO in the current design.

I will keep playing around with it and share anything else that pops up.

@josh_bodner - I put in a feedback for it, but Discord.com is not working in the dev channel, even in privacy mode.  I haven't tried to do more troubleshooting on what is failing, however InPrivate doesn't fix it.

It's still working fine in release channel, fails immediately after login on dev channel.

@tulis the next time you see high CPU from Edge, can you hit shift+esc to open the Browser Task Manager and see which process (or processes) are causing it?  I suspect it's something on a particular website like a bad ad that's causing it, and if it is, then killing just the offending process should return things to normal.  

@James Shanahben De Castro we've gotten a few reports of missing Collections recently.  If you haven't already, can you file feedback so we get the logs from your device?  

@yoSachin the missing Website Information popup text should already be fixed in Canary, which means you can expect to see the fix in next week's Dev.  

@Michael Jones it's certainly possible that something got corrupted during an update, but I'm glad a reset fixed it.  Definitely let me know if it happens again though.  

@Michael Jones that's why I usually keep the vertical tab pane expanded!  If you haven't already, make sure you submit this via feedback as well, that way we can get an accurate count of all the people who feel the same way.  Also, don't forget that there are keyboard shortcuts for closing a tab (ctrl+W) and muting a tab (ctrl+M), right-click menu options for both, and my personal favorite:  middle clicking a tab anywhere closes it (if you've got a device with a modern trackpad, you likely can also set a gesture for middle click; mine is the three-finger tap).