SOLVED

Dev channel update to 85.0.564.8 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 85.0.564.8 to the Dev channel.  This is the final build for major version 85, so expect it to be coming to Beta soon, and also possibly getting a few smaller fixes over the next week.  On the communications front, we’ve got a few things to point out: 

On the product side, here’s all that’s worth mentioning in terms of features and fixes this week: 

Added features: 

• Added a button to the PDF toolbar for highlighting text. 
  • Added the ability to undo certain actions in Collections. 
  • Added the ability to reorder the extension icons on the toolbar using a keyboard shortcut (Alt + Shift + arrows). 
  • Added an option to the … menu for each item that appears on the Downloads shelf to report it as a safe or unsafe file (which option appears is dependent on SmartScreen’s determination of the file’s safety). 
  • Added the ability to import certain settings and cookies from Internet Explorer. 
  • Added a management policy to Exempt Domain File Type Pairs From File Type Download Warnings.  Note that Administrative Templates will come later. 
  • Added a management policy to control New Tab Page Allowed Background Types.  Note that Administrative Templates will come later. 
  • Added a management policy to control pre-rendering of the new tab page.  Note that administrative templates will come later. 
  • Enabled support for the Chromium management policy for Intensive Wake Up Throttling. 
  • Added support for the Chromium management policy to Auto Launch Protocols From Origins, which allows admins to define a list of protocols that can launch an external application from listed origins without a prompt. 
  • Added a feature to Kiosk Mode to close the browser when it’s idle (with the time limit being adjustable). 
  • Added an alert to the … menu of installed websites and apps when Edge has an update ready to be installed. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash when closing the browser after creating a new profile. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a tab in IE mode sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where moving a tab when it has the search sidebar open sometimes crashes the sidebar. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to print a PDF sometimes crashes the tab. 
  • Clicking links from external applications while Edge is waiting to restart to apply an update sometimes results in those links not loading properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Kindle reader website doesn’t load. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to share video, such as in a Microsoft Teams call, sometimes fails, and the recipient only sees a blank screen. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Sidebar Search option appears to be available but doesn’t do anything. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting content into a Collection sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting content into a text note in a Collection sometimes fails. 

Changed behavior: 

• Changed the PDF reader to no longer prompt where to save an edited PDF every time it’s saved. 
  • Fixed an issue where data imported from other browsers during the first run experience sometimes isn’t deleted properly if the browser is closed before the first run experience is completed. 
  • Fixed an issue where the top border of the window can’t be used to resize it. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Pull To Refresh flag from upstream Chromium disappeared. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the Switch button in the Guided Switch dialog sometimes does nothing. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning an Edge shortcut to a specific profile or website to the Taskbar sometimes results in that shortcut not opening to the correct profile or website. 
  • Fixed an issue where pages sometimes try to translate into the same language they’re already in. 
  • Fixed an issue where pages are sometimes offered to be translated from random languages into the language they’re already in. 
  • Fixed an issue where browser profiles that aren’t signed in with work or school accounts sometimes incorrectly get Information Protection applied to them when another profile in the browser is signed in with a work or school account that has Information Protection applied to it. 
  • Fixed an issue where Immersive Reader is no longer available on certain webpages. 
  • Fixed an issue where the undo dialog when deleting a saved password from Settings doesn’t appear. 
  • Fixed an issue where the PDF toolbar sometimes doesn’t appear when it should. 
  • Improved the number of websites where Collections can retrieve an image for a website added to a Collection. 
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback dialog sometimes appears too big or cut off. 
  • Improved the performance of Edge updates that are manually triggered by viewing edge://settings/help. 
  • Improved the performance of clearing browsing data. 
  • Removed the Network Prediction setting. 
  • Removed the ability to search using the sidebar in PDF files because it is not functional. 

Known issues: 

• Attempting to watch video in fullscreen will sometimes not work properly.  Instead of showing the video fullscreen, it will blow up or zoom the video to the size of the browser window.  This issue affects all Chromium-based browsers. 
  • Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, thanks to everybody for your bug reports and suggestions! 

46 Replies

@josh_bodner 

There is a problem in the Immersive reader in Microsoft Edge where the upper part of the scrollbar is not seen when the top bar of Immersive Reader is unpinned, more information here. I have sent four feedbacks about this through the in-app feedback tool since February, the last feedback sent in April got a reply in early May that the Microsoft Edge team is working on this issue but it is still not yet resolved after 6 months from reporting it. Can you please give us some insights about what is happening on resolving this issue? 

@josh_bodner 

I already submitted feedback on this through the application but I wanted to make sure I reached the developers directly.  First, I'm a big fan of what the Edge team has been able to archive with the Chromium code.  Bravo!  I honestly look forward to every Dev release and it has been thrilling to watch the Edge browser grow, involve and most importantly innovate!  

That said, my concern is with the changes to scrolling in the 85.0.564.8 build.  Gone is the precision scrolling I enjoyed with the mouse wheel.  Replaced by a more traditional multi-line scrolling kinetic found in browsers of old.  I hope this is only temporary, but it bothered me enough I sought out this forum hoping to have the problem addressed in a future builds.

Thanks!

@josh_bodner Is it just me or the settings and help & feedback icons got disproportionately huge in the drop down menu?

@josh_bodner @bhargavreddy Same here is this supposed to normal behaviour or is this a UI bug?

Annotation 2020-07-16 115142.png

@josh_bodner 

I have it too since upgrading from 85.0.552.1, on all 3 machines running Edge Dev.  I still have occasional sound mute issues, but I think it's less than before.

yoSachin_0-1594884849516.png

Highlight feature is weird in Edge. It was awesome in the old edge browser.

@josh_bodner 

This is crazy, right. Even I've got these huge weird icons.

@wjrandon My scrolling went strange as well.  I have a Logitech mouse with the smooth scroll wheel and it was pixel perfect and controlled but today it just went crazy, becoming overly sensitive and scrolling way too far and fast from the tiniest wheel movements.  In the end turning off #edge-experimental-scrolling has made it usable but no longer quite as smooth as it was.

Yes, same here. Also for me, the scrolling has become too fast with this update.

@bhargavreddy  @josh_bodner  --- Same issue here with the large icons.  At least you see them more now.  LOL

@wjrandon Totally agree!  Scrolling is horrible after this update!

@josh_bodner Hmm, the video issue I had before *might* be fixed. A quick test was always to load up a website with a seamlessly resizable video (via drag handle or resize animation). Before this build, that resize action was pretty laggy and in my opinion indicative for all other issues, whereas everything was smooth in Chrome. There was also typically a hitch when scrolling a video offscreen, that's now gone, too. Now things are smooth in this Edge Dev build. So I hope the build stops crashing the GPU driver from now on.

Of course, posting this might jinx it.

@josh_bodner 

Is on prem cloud-less profile roaming option still a no? This is a blocker for my organization.

There is a problem in the Immersive reader in Microsoft Edge where the upper part of the scrollbar is not seen when the top bar of Immersive Reader is unpinned, more information here. 

@TheShaunSaw the bug's still on our backlog, but it's honestly very low priority since it's got a pretty easy workaround to just wait until the bar goes away, so unless a lot more people complain about this, it will probably still be a while until it gets fixed.  

my concern is with the changes to scrolling in the 85.0.564.8 build.  Gone is the precision scrolling I enjoyed with the mouse wheel.  Replaced by a more traditional multi-line scrolling kinetic found in browsers of old. 

@wjrandon and everybody else seeing issues with scrolling, we've gotten quite a few reports of this recently, so it's definitely something we're trying to figure out.  If anybody wants to try some investigation, there are a few places to start:  

We'll be updating Dev over the next week or so with the final Chromium code from major version 85, so when those small updates come in, see if you notice any difference.  If so, the change was likely from Chromium to begin with.  

Otherwise, if anybody has Edge Canary installed, it would be good to know if you see it there as well.  

@bhargavreddy (and everybody else), the big icons issue was fixed in Canary, but that fix hasn't made it back to Dev yet.  Look for it in the small updates that will come to Dev over the next week or so.  

@nivlacckw we've been working on enabling on-prem syncing via Chromium's management policies to enable and set the roaming profile location.  See https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7349337 for details on how to do that.  

Thanks. I have been using the same for Chrome for some time.

Will try RoamingProfileSupportEnabled if it is available on Dev channel

@josh_bodner Nope, the video issue came back. Seems after a certain amount of system runtime, Edge starts balking. Any layout changes in the page become super laggy when video is playing, and scrolling a playing video off-screen just made the GPU driver restart again.

Some changes introduced to Edge that aren't in Chrome are causing this. Maybe smooth scrolling? --edit: Nope, disabling it doesn't do anything. Restarting Edge either (which happens with changing flags, anyway).

--edit: The issue persists across reboots now. What the hell? a) There's nothing special to my system, it's an AMD Threadripper (glorified Ryzen) and a Geforce 2070S, and b) it worked fine yesterday when I made the first feedback post, and now it went to crap again!? No driver updates, no OS updates, no nothing.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by MissyQ (Microsoft)
Solution

Today's small update should provide a fix for the issue where some icons are too big.  Additionally, we improved the relevance of Family Safety reporting data, and we fixed an issue where certain management policies like HomepageLocation or NewTabPageLocation stopped working and returned a message that they were blocked.  

View solution in original post