Dev channel update to 85.0.552.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 85.0.552.1 to the Dev channel.  Like last week, we’ve got a lot to talk about:

As for all the browser-related changes this week: 

Added features: 

• Added a New Tab Page Search Box management policy.  Administrative Template updates to come later. 
  • Added support for the Auto Open Allowed For URLs management policy from upstream Chromium. 
  • Added support for the Auto Open File Types management policy from upstream Chromium. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes does not open. 
  • Fixed a crash on startup. 
  • Fixed a crash when printing. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening the Read Aloud voice options list crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where entering fullscreen mode in an installed app or website crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when importing data from other browsers.  
  • Fixed an issue where certain 4K video content, such as that encoded using HEVC, doesn’t play properly. 
  • Improved the reliability of importing passwords from other browsers. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding items to a Collection sometimes fails, and instead the loading spinner is shown indefinitely. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the flag that controlled the ability to use the Block option in website Autoplay settings disappeared.   
  • Fixed an issue where Edge users who are signed into Windows with a work or school account sometimes don’t get automatically signed into the browser with that account, which can lead to sync errors. 
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs or websites installed as apps sometimes have consistent GPU use even when idle. 
  • Fixed an issue where icons in some menus like the … menu are the wrong size. 
  • Fixed an issue where the New Tab page from Edge Legacy sometimes opens after an Edge update instead of the correct page. 
  • Fixed an issue where system notifications from websites sometimes stay onscreen indefinitely. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads management page shows a message that a file is successfully deleted even when the deletion fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes incorrectly suggests credentials to use in forms on websites that have never been visited before. 
  • Fixed an issue where autofill sometimes incorrectly suggests passwords in fields on websites that aren’t asking for a password. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Windows Title Bar buttons sometimes appeared in a different color than the rest of the window’s title bar. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where opening flyouts like the Add a Favorite flyout in fullscreen mode results in the flyout appearing cut off or incomplete. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge is sometimes pinned to the Taskbar more than once on older versions of Windows. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Collections pane sometimes stays open when opening an IE mode tab.  
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to use the Audit tool in the F12 Dev Tools sometimes fails by hanging on start. 
  • Obsoleted the Enable Domain Actions Download management policy. 

Known issues:

• Users of certain ad blocking extensions may experience playback errors on Youtube.  As a workaround, temporarily disabling the extension should allow playback to proceed.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/known-issue-adblock-causing-errors-on-youtube/m-p/14... for more details. 
  • Clicking links from external applications while Edge is waiting to restart to apply an update sometimes results in those links not loading properly.  The workaround is just to restart Edge to apply the update, and this should be fixed for users who have taken an update in the past week, but we’re keeping it in the known issues category this week just in case some users didn’t get last week’s update.   
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.  For users with discrete GPUs, updating graphics drivers may help. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, all 10,000+ of you are the reason we’re able to keep doing this! 

10 Replies

@josh_bodner 

I would like to suggest a custom link for the updated dev channel update post like the updated Top Feedback Summary post has - https://aka.ms/MSEdgeTopFeedback 

My suggested link for the updated dev channel post is https://aka.ms/MSEdgeDevUpdate 

More information about this suggestion is in this conversation. 

@josh_bodner 

Is somebody ever going to fix the issue in the page context menu when some text is selected and it says 'search the web for ...' - small first letter - instead of 'Search the web for ...'  - opening capital letter? It's been like that for ages, and elementary punctuation errors are not a good look for a major company.

Other than that, I still cannot use Edge as my browser until all of:

1 The option to turn off Microsoft Edge scrolling personality is made permanent with a switch put into the Options pages, not just an Experiments flag.

2 Edge desktop AND Android can both sync History and Open Tabs, especially with each other.

3 Android Edge has a Force Dark Mode for Web Contents option or ability to use Dark Reader extension.

4 Android Edge has the option for the user to choose which sites are pinned to the NTP in place of the auto-generated top sites.

5 Android Edge gives the ability to search (on site and username) the passwords. But you really should have a Microsoft Android autofill service that the user can use in place of the Google one or Mozilla Lockwise - it's very clumsy, if creating some account in Android Edge, to then sign in with it in some related app, as it would need searching in Android Edge, which isn't possible, then having to go backwards and forwards between Edge and app copying and pasting username and password, unlike if one uses Google Chrome or Firefox and their matching autofill services.

@DavidGB what language are you currently using Edge in?  In mine, it looks correct:  

josh_bodner_0-1593052258400.png

@josh_bodner Can you maybe make the sidebar search float over the webpage instead of pushing content? When the page gets pushed, context goes out of view because the content positions gets shifted around

@josh_bodner 

Seem like Microsoft Edge Version 85.0.552.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit) on mine.

Annotation 2020-06-25 152235.png

@DavidGB I agree with sync history.  I'm not sure why that is taking so long to implement.

I think this is a really big deal. Pushing webpages to the left and right is, to me at least, a big part of what makes Edge... Edge. Collections and Sidebar search already do it, and Vertical Tabs are gearing up to implement it soon. Personally, I've only had mild issues with the mechanic; every once in a blue moon, a website will reload instead of resizing. My guess as to why it is so reliable is that it treats the situation the same was as it would if I restored down a maximized window. Websites and web browsers have already been doing it for... I don't know, 20 years? On the other hand, I have generally had much worse experiences when using "floating" menus, which some of my extensions use. With a pushing sidebar, I only have to scroll once to get back to the context I need. With a floating menu, especially if there is text that spans the width of the page, I might have to continuously juggle the menu just to read a few lines - and don't even think about trying to highlight something. That's also assuming the floating menus can be dragged to other parts of the screen in the first place. Take the description of images on NASA's APOD website as an example. https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html If we let the right portion of the screen get covered, we're chopping off parts of sentences.

I want to see Edge add MORE "pushing" sidebars, not less. For example, Edge Legacy's Hub had a useful "recently downloaded" pane that could make it easier to move a file from a cloud storage platform to a social media page.

I just want to know what issues you're experiencing more specifically, since our views are polar opposites.

If you already made a detailed post about it in the past, just tell me and I'll find it on your user profile. :thumbs_up:

@josh_bodner 

sidebar is not working for PDF files. 

Hey, now that you mention it, I don't have options for "search in sidebar" OR "search the web" when right clicking selected text in a PDF.
Collections open fine for me, but dragging text into them is impossible.

how time wil own edge mode?@josh_bodner