Dev channel update to 85.0.545.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 85.0.545.0 to the Dev channel.  We’ve got quite a few things to mention this week:

As for everything new in the browser: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to import data from Edge Legacy on demand. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where opening websites from shortcuts that have been pinned to the Taskbar sometimes results in a crashed webpage. 
  • Fixed an issue where entering payment card info on webpages sometimes leads to a crash when the offer to save the payment card info to the browser is shown.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to add items to a Collection sometimes crashes the webpage.    
  • Fixed a hang when exporting a Collection to Excel.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser with a personal account sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to save a webpage into favorites while in Immersive Reader sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to cast media to certain devices like Xboxes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where DolbyVision content doesn’t play properly. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the Global Media Controls flag from upstream Chromium was removed. 
  • Fixed an issue where a checkbox was removed that allows a payment card stored in MS Pay to be saved to the local browser.  
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs with certain non-English letters aren’t read correctly with Read Aloud. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs with certain non-visible characters aren’t read correctly with Read Aloud. 
  • Fixed an issue where Edge’s autofill suggestion popups sometimes cover popups that are created by websites filling in forms. 

Known issues: 

• Clicking links from external applications while Edge is waiting to restart to apply an update sometimes results in those links not loading properly.  The workaround is just to restart Edge to apply the update, and this is expected to be fixed after next week’s update. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, everything we do is made possibly by you! 

19 Replies

@josh_bodner We Want Split View features of two different PDFs .

With all the improvements the new Edge brought, I'd really love to know what the plans are for Edge on Xbox.

@josh_bodner where the heck is history and tab sync?!?!??

@josh_bodner 
Please give a status update on history sync. This is the thing I have been waiting for since migrating to edge chromium.

Wouldn't that just be... two different tabs? (no, seriously, I don't understand what you're talking about here. I've never heard of this feature before) @HereItis 

@josh_bodner 

In my understanding every GPO related to MS Edge Chromium is interpreted by all editions in the same way. The configuration of Edge is done for all our users and systems solely by GPO in AD.

We are using an 2FA authorisation service for several insurance company extranet websites that behaves different in Edge Chromium Enterprise Stable 83.0.478.45 in comparison to Edge Chromium Enterprise Dev 85.0.545.0.

In Stable its working, in Dev is not anymore. In fact, this is not the first version of Dev with this behavior. First reports came in a few weeks ago.

The login page is at https://www.einfach-einmal-einloggen.de/ and relays the user after successful authorization to the URL https://portal.easy-login.de/auth-portal/easy-login/secure/linklist.xhtml by opening a new tab.

In Dev this tab is not opened and no message appears in any way. For sure its not a popup blocker case because we made a exception entry for this domain.

Big question, is it a bug or a feature that will go over to Stable after a few weeks if it's not configured correctly?

Good job so far, we happily replaced Google Chrome on all our systems!

@WolfIcefang  You will be able to view two two different PDfs side by side

@Thomas_Gessert it's hard to say without a little more investigation what could have caused the difference.  I'd recommend opening a support ticket (... > Help and feedback > Help) so our support agents can look into it further.  

@josh_bodnerWhere is tablet mode support! Don't roll it out with Windows Update before it has native controls and native behaviors(like quit full screen mode behavior) and have full support for tablet mode! You guys keep abanding a lot of features that you think nobody use. But because this is Windows so any features will have a lot of users then you think. Especially you guys still sell Surface so make it use WinUI in windows and support Tablet mode thank you! I don't care any cross-platform staff, you guys need to make Edge as a part of windows as you can. Not a third party app.

FWIW, I've never experienced wobbly scrolling. I've only experienced times where it's impossible to scroll using the touchpad or touchscreen. I have a PTP and use Edge production and canary

>After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it. Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window.

can't wait for a fix for this!
if you mean a two page view, then you may want to follow this: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=51472

@KangHongjia what features specifically are you missing?  When it comes to fullscreen, for example, we're working on adding in the ability to swipe down from the top of the screen on a touchscreen device in order to show the tabs and address bar.  

@josh_bodner  -- why does this new version crash on closing?  I get a stopped responding message then when opening Edge DEV again it asks to restore tabs.  This has happened since this version of the browser.  Can I check somewhere in the browser to see what is causing it?

@Chris Childerhose edge://crashes should list your recent crashes, although it won't tell you why Edge is crashing.  Crashes when it closes are especially difficult to try to diagnose since they often aren't directly caused by the act of closing the browser, but instead are tripping up on some memory corruption that happened far earlier.  The only crash I'm aware of right now that happens when closing Edge is a relatively uncommon crash that's directly caused by closing a tab, but the timing to trigger it is very tight, so I'd be surprised if that was what you were hitting, especially if you've seen multiple crashes.  There are quite a few other crashes set to be fixed in this week's upcoming Dev build though, so it would be interesting to see if any of them fix your issue.  

hi josh. were you guys able to reproduce the items in history, favourites and downloads taking some time to load in? it doesn't happen in chrome.

@HereItis 

I still don't understand. I can have two different pdfs side by side by dragging and dropping tabs to create two different windows. 

See the first attachment: on the left is math homework and on the right is a D&D character sheet.

If you're talking about seeing multiple pages of the same PDF side by side, then I agree that this is a feature of Edge Legacy that is lacking in Edge Chromium. See the second attachment.

@pneenkoalabear 

Microsoft Edge DEV BUILD "not" updating on Win 7

Shows this instead----->>

Microsoft Edge

An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please allowlist MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe. (error code 7: 0x80072EFE -- system level).Learn moreVersion 85.0.545.0 (Official build) dev (32-bit)

@maddman since that error is a network error, is there anything else that's not working when you try to go to websites?  What about if you download and re-install Edge Dev?  

@josh_bodnerI upgraded to Win 10 32 bit and all good now EXCEPT the printer error that has been plauging ALL Win10 users after the recent "printer broken with  win 10 recent update"