Dev channel update to 85.0.538.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 85.0.538.0 to the Dev channel.  There’s not much to share this week, so here’s everything that’s notable: 

Added features: 

• Added more languages that are supported for translating page content. 
  • Added support for the TLS Cipher Suite Deny List management policy.  Updated Administrative Templates to come later. 
  • Added the Win HTTP Proxy Resolver Enabled management policy to control how Microsoft Edge interacts with the Windows proxy resolver.  Note that this policy is already deprecated, and Administrative Templates will come later. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where opening an InPrivate or Guest window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening a PDF sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where using the Touchbar when video is playing sometimes crashes the webpage. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Collections. 
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing passwords from another browser sometimes fails. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the mouse sometimes disappears. 
  • Fixed an issue where audio sometimes doesn’t work when using certain Bluetooth speakers. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where users signed into the browser with work or school accounts sometimes see failures with sync or browser sign-in due to the browser thinking the device isn’t properly enrolled with management software even though it is. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Touchbar sometimes doesn’t show the proper video controls when playing multiple videos in a row. 
  • Fixed an issue where downloads sometimes aren’t shown on the Downloads management page when Smartscreen actions are taken on downloaded files. 
  • Fixed an issue where the … > Apps menu sometimes doesn’t list all installed or pinned websites. 
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience sometimes shows over and over, never letting the browser be used. 

Known issues: 

• Clicking links from external applications while Edge is waiting to restart to apply an update sometimes results in those links not loading properly.  The workaround is just to restart Edge to apply the update, and this is expected to be fixed after next week’s update. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, your feedback is what makes this all possible! 

20 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Oh, common. I've been waiting for InPrivate item in jumplist for like a year. It was resolved month ago and previous build broke it again. And still broken...

@josh_bodner

Spoiler

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the mouse sometimes disappears. 

Very happy that it is fixed.

@josh_bodner 

1 Make ability to turn off Microsoft scrolling personality permanent with switch  in settings. Anything even vaguely resembling old Edge scrolling is an absolute no for me.

2 Sync history with Android Edge.

3 Ability to choose sites to pin to NTP in Android Edge.

4 Ability to force web site contents into a dark mode in Android Edge, either built in like Google Android Chrome or using Dark Reader extension like Firefox Android, Fennec or Fenix.

Without all 4 I won't use Edge on W10 laptop or phone, and will get tired of hoping and checking.

What happened to the 'Enable Native Notifications' flag? I don't like the notifications being built into windows, and in previous releases, and in Chrome too, even now, I can disable the flag to bring back the overlay notifications, which also happen to be much faster. I noticed this like a week ago, is this something you guys can do?

PDF features suck in Edge chromium. I highly recommend to turn the old Edge browser into a dedicated windows pdf and ebook reading app with the already supported immersive reader feature. @josh_bodner 

@josh_bordner
I am finding that open hyperlinks from external applications (Outlook, Sticky Notes, etc) lead Edge v85 to open with a new tab page instead of the requested URL.

@wigster Got fixed in .538, which I guess was some emergency update.

@That_s_Me It's been working great for me on a number of my computers. might be your machine, have you done any troubleshooting, unpin/repin, reinstall?

@Derek Gabriel Oh, I forgot to mention, OS is Windows 8.1 On Windows 10 it was fine since very first versions. Can you check it on 8.1? I had to switch to beta channel for now. I'm using InPrivate like tens times per day and pressing Ctrl-Shift-N for that is too much extra acrobatics for me

>Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app sometimes fails.

Great ! I ran into this issue last build, uninstalling an app crashed Edge in the process. But now that app is stuck in a "semi-uninstalled" state (Edge reports it's not installed, control panel reports it is).

Any idea on what should I do to get out of this state ? Just delete the app's entry from control panel and be done with it, or are there more elements I should make sure to clean up ? 

So far simply deleting the control panel entry did not have any bad repercussions, but the usual prompt "This app appears to be already uninstalled - do you want to remove the entry ?" did not appear so I had to remove it from the registry (For anyone in the same situation, the keys are in HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ , CTRL+F for your app name )

@Derek Gabriel I just installed stable Edge on Win10. Same bug - no "New InPrivate window" item in jumplist :sad:

@That_s_Me I'll ask the team if they're tracking any new Jumplist issues given that this was recently fixed.  

@AmineI I'd only worry about it if it impacts your ability to re-install that same app.  Otherwise, it shouldn't do any harm to leave it.  

@josh_bodner wrote:

@AmineI I'd only worry about it if it impacts your ability to re-install that same app.  Otherwise, it shouldn't do any harm to leave it.  

@josh_bodner I initially couldn't reinstall the app, which is why I was troubleshooting in that direction, but it turned out to be another issue so it's fine now, thanks ! (It was related to the "tabbed apps" flag, and was fixed with this week's build :) .)

@josh_bodner starting with Dev 85.0.538.0 (and even in current Dev 85.0.545.0 as well as Canary 85.0.551.0) the Policies like HomepageLocation, DefaultSearchProvider etc... which need a MDM-Enrolled or AD-Joined Device don't work any more!

They are now ignored and edge://policy shows "Error This policy is blocked - its value will be ignored."

In older Releases like Dev 85.0.531.1 or Beta 84.0.522.20 as well as currend Stable these Policies still work.

@Gunnar Haslinger how were those policies being set, was it something your company did for you or did you set them yourself?  

@josh_bodner 
There is nothing wrong how they are set. I am "the company IT". Stopped working starting with Dev 85.0.538.0 and I cannot find any hint in your Changelog that this is an intentional Change. As there is no hint in the Changelog that the functionality changed it has to be a bug. Stable and Beta 84.0.522.20  are still working fine with these policies (on the same machines). 

edge://policy shows "Error: This policy is blocked - its value will be ignored."

@Gunnar Haslinger if you haven't already, could you send feedback and in it, tell us the exact policies that aren't working anymore?  That way, we will get the logs from your machine and can have an engineer look at it.