Dev channel update to 85.0.531.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 85.0.531.1 to the Dev channel.  It’s a small week this week since it’s the first one for major version 85.  Everything noteworthy it contains is: 

Added features: 

• Added a setting to enable preloading of certain webpages for faster searches and browsing. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where new installations of Edge sometimes crash on launch. 
  • Fixed an issue where closing the browser too soon after importing data from another browser sometimes causes a crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where pasting content when Information Protection is enabled sometimes crashes the tab. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to restart Edge on Mac to apply an update gives an error message instead of updating the browser. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes appear at their minimum width, even when there’s space for them to be larger. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling down a page sometimes causes it to jump back up to the top. 
  • Fixed an issue where unpinning and re-pinning Edge to the Taskbar sometimes creates a shortcut to the wrong profile. 
  • Fixed an issue where the … menu button sometimes disappears at small window sizes. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where Shy UI sometimes disappears while being interacted with. 
  • Fixed an issue where the highlighted word sometimes doesn’t match what’s being dictated when reading PDFs aloud. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing a PDF sometimes doesn’t center the content on the printed page, leading to cut-off content. 
  • Fixed an issue where the default printer is sometimes forgotten or reset. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Immersive Reader toolbar sometimes disappears when the window isn’t wide enough. 
  • Fixed an issue where translating content in Immersive Reader sometimes leaves grammar markings from the previous language on the page. 
  • Fixed an issue where Youtube videos embedded on webpages aren’t shown in Immersive Reader when they should be. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the “Complete sign in” button sometimes doesn’t enable sync until the browser is restarted. 
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes don’t get proxy settings applied properly. 

Known issues: 

• Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

As always, we couldn’t do this without you!

39 Replies

@josh_bodner the Global Media Controls have suddenly disappeared with this build.  When I play a YouTube for example, the control for the Video and PIP no longer appear in the top right.

I still have it activated in Experiments.

cmescher_0-1591160640326.png

@cmescher still working with command line switch

--enable-features=GlobalMediaControls

@eddiezato it does work with that switch, but doesn't without.  Thanks.

@josh_bodner "New InPrivate window" disappeared from jumplist. Again.

Web page preloading is awesome. i think addons such as ublock origin turn it off though to prevent advertisement preloading.

@josh_bodner 

Please can you provide some more info about your implementation of preloading. Does it only work on popular search engines, or for all websites?

In my company we have hundreds of people in the field, in countries with very slow 3G/4G connections. If their browsers are constantly trying to preload content, this will saturate their already slow connection and make their browsing experience unworkable. Is there a management policy to disable this?

Hi! Had anyone noticed something new with Edge Dev 85? I used to clear all my browsing history when I quit Edge. Next time I open it, it's fresh clean. But since Edge 85 arrived, the search bar suggests links from my browsing history that should have been deleted. Before, the search suggestions were empty. 

I admit : I went in the AppData\Local\...\Default folder and turned "History" and "Visited links" files into read-only... But these files are gone! How can I do the similar manipulation to hard-disable any history logging?

hello , i am new, i was thinking to join dev channel weekly, but when i downloaded and clicked it showed to update existing edge, i thought 2 versions possible one for feedback with no account because it's risky,another for work. is it possible to have have two edges? one stable , one dev? kindly reply. thanks in advance.  @josh_bodner 

@SAS_MAD 

Yes, it is possible and I used both the Edges (Dev and stable) from two months ago and I am currently using two Edges (Canary and stable).

Download the Edge beta channel right now from here. 

@josh_bodner 

I am using Version 85.0.531.1 and it creates a real mess of my Favorites when syncing between my PCs. To make things more interesting it's not only duplicating them by the thousands but also relocate/rearrange them.
Remove duplicates is doing some of the needed work but not all.

Eyal.

Dashlane's form filler does not pop-up on any webpage since this update. Dashlane does see the field since the logo appears in it.

@josh_bodner 

Good time. Please add the Closed tab Recovery button as in the Maxthon browser. Make a browser like the Maxthon of the 4th version. People will be very grateful!!!!@cmescher 

Good time. Please add the Closed tab Recovery button as in the Maxthon browser. Make a browser like the Maxthon of the 4th version. People will be very grateful!!!

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner This build seems crashy as hell. Anything involving moving video between displays or off- and back on-screen (via scrolling) eventually leads to the GPU driver crashing (RTX 2070S here), or if the new hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling in Windows 10 2004 is enabled, to outright system crashes. If Edge Dev ran for an hour, things start getting wonky, leading to the eventual crash.

The GPU driver crashes are undefined Event 14 in nvlddmkm, when hardware scheduling is disabled. When scheduling is enabled, it does bugcheck 0x0000007E.

Example:

Log Name: System
Source: nvlddmkm
Date: 2020-06-04 17:42:36
Event ID: 14
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-CRRU2JI
Description:
The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\Video3
CMDre 00000003 00000200 00001000 00000005 00000018

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="nvlddmkm" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49322">14</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2020-06-04T15:42:36.3942149Z" />
<EventRecordID>13294</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="19468" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>DESKTOP-CRRU2JI</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\Video3</Data>
<Data>CMDre 00000003 00000200 00001000 00000005 00000018</Data>
<Binary>0000000002003000000000000E00AAC0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

@Eyal_Shahar 

Spoiler

@Eyal_Shahar wrote:

@josh_bodner 

I am using Version 85.0.531.1 and it creates a real mess of my Favorites when syncing between my PCs. To make things more interesting it's not only duplicating them by the thousands but also relocate/rearrange them.
Remove duplicates is doing some of the needed work but not all.

Eyal.

I'm also seeing favorite sync issues, duplication, removal, relocation, favorites not syncing at all etc.

i'm not only seeing them on Dev but also on Stable Edge version 83. these don't look like they are going away any time soon and sync issues are the main roadblock not letting me use Edge as my main browser and so i'm stuck with my Firefox until Edge developers decide to give sync issues the Highest priority and Fix it for good.

Been using Edge canary more than a year, as long as i can remember Edge always has had favorite sync issues..

As I am deleting duplicates every day, the sync process is ahead of me and yesterday it created almost 30,000 duplicates on each computer :facepalm:.

Today, it also deleted some of my favorites. 

It's getting risky...  :sad:

Yeah..always have a backup of your favorites in a HTML file or on a different browser until this gets fixed.. :(

@Eyal_Shahar  Syncing Favorites has been a perennial issue on my Win 10 computers (2 running W10 1909 Stable with Edge Stable, 1 running W10 2004 Stable with Edge Stable, 1 running W10 WIP Fast Ring with Edge Stable, Dev and Canary).  I've experienced unwanted duplications, as you have, failures to replicate Favorites across computers, dropped Favorites, and Favorites rearranged for no apparent reason.  Edge seems to handle syncing okay for a while, and then acts up.  This has been going on since April 2019 and hasn't improved.

In each case I am running Edge "clean" (that is, no extensions or other add-ons or third-party addons  except the Font Rendering Enhancer extension to mitigate the "wimpy font" issue somewhat), so I'm reasonably sure that the sync issues are embedded in Edge itself rather than in conflicts with third-party extensions or addons.  My Favorites are also relatively straightforward (16 core Favorites on the "Favorites Bar" and 15 news-related Favorites running under "Other Favorites"), with no folders or other complications, so I'm reasonably sure that nothing in the Favorites structure is causing the problem.  My W10/WIP computer (the one on which I run W10 Fast Ring and Edge Dev/Canary) was off line for several weeks last month and during that period the problem occurred on the computers where I run W10 2009 (at that time) with Edge Stable, so I'm reasonably sure that the problem is not related either to WIP or Dev/Canary use.

In short, normal troubleshooting does not get to the bottom of the problem.  The only possible pattern I see (seemingly confirmed by Josh Bodner's discussion at "Known Issues") is that the issue might be related to the fact that many users encountering the problem have been involved in the MEI program, suggesting that something might have gotten tangled up in the server sync account tied to their MSA early on that keeps triggering the problem.

I run Firefox as my primary browser on all my Windows computers, two Linux computers and two Android devices, and have for years.  In contrast to Edge, my Firefox installation uses a complicated Bookmarks nested structure and about 150-200 Bookmarks, syncing across OS platforms.  I have never -- not once -- encountered an issue with syncing on any of those devices in the years since I started syncing Firefox (so long ago I can't remember when I started).

I will be testing Edge on Linux if and when Microsoft gets around to releasing a Linux version for testing.  My plan has been to move over to Edge as my primary browser after the Linux version has been running stable for a while with the basics intact and operating.  I won't do that, though, until the Edge syncing problem is resolved.  I don't demand much from a browser (95% of the features in modern browsers are wasted on me), but I do demand that the basics -- security, usability, syncing and so on -- work reliably.  When it comes to something as basic as syncing, Edge isn't yet at that point.

Because Firefox is is almost certain to remain my primary browser for another year or two, I don't have a dog in this fight.  But my husband currently uses Edge Classic on his two computers, and (according to the trade press) is going to be moved over the Edge Chromium in an upcoming Windows Update.  I can only hope that he and others being ported over the Edge Chromium don't encounter the issue.  What a mess that would create!

I've got issues where do i report them?