Dev channel update to 84.0.522.5 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders!  Today we’re releasing build 84.0.522.5 to the Dev channel.  We expect this to be the final build for major version 84, give or take a few small patches past .5.  In community news, we’re excited to share an overview of our surf game to celebrate its arrival in Stable after Stable’s recent update to major version 83:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/05/26/surf-game-edge-stable/.  The surf game was originally the final part of the hidden journey to unveil our new logo last November, and now is a fun game you can play if you ever find yourself offline (or anytime!)  We also posted about the improvements we’ve been making to spellcheck:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/05/28/improved-spellcheck-microsoft-edge-83/

In product news, we’re excited to announce that Read Aloud is now available in PDFs!  We put together an overview of it here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/microsoft-edge-read-aloud-now-with-pdf-support/m-p/1....  We also have a small preview of what to expect from Sidebar Search here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/introducing-sidebar-search-in-microsoft-edge/m-p/140....  In other news: 

Added features: 

• Added support for Read Aloud in PDFs. 
  • Added support for full page translation in Immersive Reader. 
  • Added the ability for text saved to a Collection to take you back to the location on the webpage it came from. 
  • Added back support for the Chromium “Force Dark Mode for Web Contents” flag. 
  • Enabled Shy UI on Mac. 
  • Added support for the F6 key to change focus on Mac. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where certain types of videos like HEVC don’t play properly. 
  • Fixed an issue where webpages with videos sometimes hang. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where attempting to save an edited PDF brings up the “Save As” dialog every time it’s saved instead of silently saving. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Find on Page popup sometimes gets stuck and can’t be interacted with. 
  • Fixed an issue where history entries in the Jumplist sometimes aren’t cleared after closing the browser when history is set to be cleared on close. 
  • Fixed an issue where favorites on the Favorites Bar sometimes forget that they’re supposed to be icon only. 
  • Fixed an issue where extensions that allow keyboard shortcuts to be set aren’t able to have those shortcuts be changed on edge://extensions/shortcuts. 
  • Fixed an issue where autofill popups sometimes appear when they shouldn’t with incorrect suggestions. 
  • Fixed an issue where browser profiles associated with a work or school account are sometimes unintentionally signed out or removed. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where languages on the Language Settings page sometimes can’t be selected to “Offer to translate pages in this language”. 
  • Fixed an issue where starting Read Aloud on certain pages leaves Edge in a state where Read Aloud can’t be stopped even though there’s nothing to read. 

Known issues: 

• Tabs sometimes appear squished or too small, even when there are only a few of them.  This is most often caused by clicking a link in a different program that opens a new tab in Edge, and can usually be fixed by changing the size of the tab band, for example by resizing the window. 
  • Users of the Kaspersky Internet Suite who have the associated extension installed may sometimes see webpages like Gmail fail to load.  This failure is due to the main Kaspersky software being out of date, and is thus fixed by making sure the latest version is installed. 
  • Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 

Thanks to you, look for this build to be heading to Beta soon! 

27 Replies

@josh_bodner 

I'm sorry to say that this version has brought back the problem of not clearing caches/cookies and not logging out of sites that surfaced in the 83.0.478.5 build.

I mentioned this is 83.0.478.5 thread and then decided to try DEV 84.0.516.1 which was working as expected but now the 84.0.522.5 build is broken again.

I really like this browser and hope you find the problem that seems to somehow keep cropping up in these interim builds. 

Robin

@RPSBerlin we've had a hard time reproducing the behavior on our end every time this comes up, so it would help us a lot if you could give us any more information you can (as well as file feedback so we have an accurate count in our feedback database of how many people are experiencing this issue):  

• Are you running any extensions?  If so, does turning them off make any difference?  
  • Are you manually clearing your browsing data or using the setting to clear it automatically when you close the browser?  
    • If it's the first one, which categories are you clearing and for what time period?  
    • If it's the second one, are you sure you're closing all browser windows, including those for other profiles, InPrivate windows, installed apps/websites, etc.?
  • If you have passwords saved, are you sure you're not just being logged back in with them, or with single sign-on if you're seeing this on a Microsoft website?  
  • For that matter, how are you determining that data isn't getting cleared?  
  • If you create a new profile in Edge, can you reproduce the same behavior there?  Or, if you have another device, can you reproduce the behavior in the same version of Edge on it?  
  • Since we think this contributed last time, do you see any entries on edge://crashes, like maybe the browser is crashing on close, which is cutting the delete short?
  • Most importantly, are there any specific sites (that you care to share) that you can reproduce this on, especially if it's consistent?  

@josh_bodner  Thanks so much!

@josh_bodner All this is useless, unless MS decide to bring back a vital feature that ALL MS browsers currently have (except EDGE Chromium)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/provide-run-open-save-save-as-options-when-downlo...

Just double checked: Yes, does also apply to new profiles!

@josh_bodner 

Hi Josh,

I'll answer these in order but I will say after two days of not working that miraculously today it was working again on 84.0.516.1 (it's asking me to update but I'm loathe to update in case it stops working again...)

• Are you running any extensions?  If so, does turning them off make any difference?  

I run LastPass and it wasn't causing any problems on two previous builds of both 83 and 84 and then not working on the two following builds. I did try uninstalling it on 83 but that didn't make any difference so haven't bothered trying it with 84.

• Are you manually clearing your browsing data or using the setting to clear it automatically when you close the browser?
  • If it's the second one, are you sure you're closing all browser windows, including those for other profiles, InPrivate windows, installed apps/websites, etc.?

I have it set to clear absolutely everything every time I close the browser. No other profiles. I generally shut my whole computer down. In fact that's how I noticed it wasn't logging me out as I'd still be logged into all my sites once I started computer back up.

• If you have passwords saved, are you sure you're not just being logged back in with them, or with single sign-on if you're seeing this on a Microsoft website?  

No passwords saved in Edge.

• For that matter, how are you determining that data isn't getting cleared?  

Because when I open the program I'm still logged into every site I need to sign in to access.

• If you create a new profile in Edge, can you reproduce the same behavior there?  Or, if you have another device, can you reproduce the behavior in the same version of Edge on it?  
  • Since we think this contributed last time, do you see any entries on edge://crashes, like maybe the browser is crashing on close, which is cutting the delete short?

No crashes. Closes as expected.

• Most importantly, are there any specific sites (that you care to share) that you can reproduce this on, especially if it's consistent? 

As I said every site I log into but just off the top of my head: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Google, my websites webmail server etc etc.

Take care!

Robin

@josh_bodner The highlight just get darker every time you click on it, before it disappeared the second time you click on the highlighted text. 

@RPSBerlin I was thinking about this more, and I was wondering, do you leave any programs open when you shut down your computer, or do you manually close Edge?  One reason the cleanup wouldn't trigger on Edge closing is if Edge isn't actually closing, which would be the case if it's still open when the computer is shut down.