Dev channel update to 84.0.488.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 84.0.488.1 to the Dev channel.  This is our first update for major version 84, and we’ve also got a discussion going around what color you expect your InPrivate windows to be:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/inprivate-theming/m-p/1314407.  As for all the most noteworthy changes: 

Added features: 

• Added a dropdown UI when browsing in fullscreen mode to be able to access tabs and the address bar without exiting fullscreen (unofficially referred to as Shy UI). 
  • Added a management policy to prevent the creation of a desktop shortcut when Edge is installed. 
  • Added messaging to inform users when the internal PDF reader is disabled via the “Always Open PDF Externally” management policy. 

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where protected video on certain websites doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue dragging a tab out of a window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an InPrivate window on Mac crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where cancelling an autofill payment card authentication sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigating from an IE mode website to a non-IE mode website in the same tab sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to check for updates on edge://settings/help showed a “Could not create Component” error. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud and Grammar Tools sometimes don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes fail to open on devices with low battery. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing autofill data from other browsers sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning websites to the Taskbar fails when the site’s name is too long. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved the number of situations where browser sign-in is supported even though the browser is running with admin privileges. 
  • Increased the languages supported for spellchecking when using the Windows-native spellchecker. 
  • Fixed an issue where a Jumplist is missing or incorrect after installing Edge. 
  • Fixed an issue where password fields on webpages sometimes can’t be typed into. 
  • Fixed an issue where icons are missing from menus. 
  • Fixed an issue where text sometimes isn’t visible in PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where the “Press F11 to exit full screen” notification sometimes appears on the wrong screen. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleting an item in History scrolls the page back to the top. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are added to Collections sometimes fail to load an accompanying image for its Collection item. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a Collection sometimes results in images that don’t load. 
  • Fixed an issue where some Collections UI isn’t visible when the browser is using zoom levels > 100%. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Touch Bar media scrubber sometimes doesn’t appear on pages that have media. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Favorites bar or find on page popup sometimes aren’t visible in the Shy UI. 
  • Fixed an issue where items on the Downloads shelf sometimes appear highlighted even when they’re not being hovered over or clicked. 
  • Fixed an issue where form autofill sometimes suggests incorrect card or address info when some fields of a webpage are already filled in before autofill is triggered. 
  • Fixed an issue where the street portion of saved addresses can’t be removed when editing a saved address in Settings. 
  • Changed Collections to use the name of the collection as the sheet name when exporting a collection to Excel. 
  • Disabled the Pinning Wizard in guest windows. 

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, thanks for all your feedback and all the bugs you find! 

41 Replies

@josh_bodner I agree with everyone else that I'm happy to see the dropdown UI in fullscreen mode. Thanks! That's the way legacy Edge did it, and it's one more advantage over Chrome.

The browser is pretty solid, but I still get unreliable connection when using teams on it. When someone share the screen within teams the shared presentation bounces from top to bottom and freezes from time to time.

@josh_bodner Agreed with the other comments on Shy UI. Love it as a way to maximize my real estate on a small screen and it makes me much more likely to use it more often now that i dont have to keep toggling out to interact with the address bar. However, it is a little too aggressive in popping down when my mouse wanders remotely close to the upper edge, and there isn't a way to toggle it with touch. 

Oh good. I thought I was going nuts. I couldn't paste anything in my Gmail message (which is installed as an app) or Word Online either. Glad to see others are experiencing it as well.

I tried to add the site to the Allow list for the Clipboard options in Settings to make sure the site has access to the clipboard. Oddly, it may work once using Ctrl+V with whatever was last copied, but if I try to copy something else, or use Win+V to copy something from my history, it stops working completely. Restarting the browser doesn't work. But I can copy and paste on this website just fine. 

@josh_bodner 

No idea what is causing it, but the latest version keeps crashing and closing down.

Out of the frying pan in to the fire, springs to mind!

@Sumit Dhiman and everybody else seeing paste issues, we believe this is fixed in our current Canary builds, which means it should also be fixed in next week's Dev.  

@josh_bodner Hi. I just updated Edge to 84.0.488.1. I'm experiencing an issue where right-clicking on navigation arrows (to get to the previously viewed websites) literally crashes the browser. It happens every time. 

@josh_bodner Right clicking the back button crashes the browser.

@josh_bodner Please Do windows phone 10 like Animations and Transitions throughout Edge browser in next version and also please consider the idea of live tiles like BOOKMARKS (favorites) it would make a lot of difference if you talk about these thing please

@josh_bodner 

Since the update I cannot paste anything into the gmail compose email dialog.  I frequently copy and paste text, pictures whatever into a new email in gmail.  Today after the update to latest edge, I cannot copy and paste anything into gmail.  I right click and select paste and nothing happens, neither will ctrl C/V.  I restarted edge, restarted windows and could not get anything to paste.  I opened internet explorer and pasted things into gmail with it fine.

@rbyogi  Same issue in all Google apps.

@Cloud11PL 

Thank you! I have been trying to figure out what was causing that, as it happens pretty quickly.

@Sumit Dhiman Also having paste issues in latest dev build. Also in Gmail and OneDrive word as others have been experiencing.

Holding the cursor down on the back button, in order to view a list of previously visited pages, causes Edge to force close

@rageoffury 

@rageoffury wrote:

Holding the cursor down on the back button, in order to view a list of previously visited pages, causes Edge to force close

Hi,
yes it's a known issue which is fixed in the higher channel Canary.
Version 84.0.492.0 (Official build)
you have to wait to receive the fix on your Dev channel which will most likely be in the next update.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/when-hitting-back-button-on-latest-edge-canary-th...

Wow, yeah I almost can't even click in the Search the community field on this site without the UI popping up.
Can anyone help, when using Microsoft Edge if I click a magnet link I keep getting a popup stating that "this site wants to open biglybt" (Torrent manager) on previous Edge this was never an issue, just clicked on magnet link and Torrent manager would open automatically and start downloading

@josh_bodner What happened to the pull to refresh flag. I loved that feature! Can you please add it back?

@Sumit Dhiman 

I've had a similar problem come into this Dev build: I can't copy or paste (but I can cut) on G Suite websites (Gmail and Google Calendar tested). I've filed feedback on this. The menu options are selectable, but they and the keyboard shortcuts don't actually do anything on these pages. They still work elsewhere (other non-G Suite tabs, address bar, settings, etc.). 

EDIT: should've read the rest of the thread. Thanks!

@josh_bodner 

I've noticed periodic, like once every couple of minutes, cpu spikes of edge into the 50-60% range, and almost always at the same time, a spike in the windows search filter process, sometimes its accompanied by a spike in the avast antivirus service.

now..I am leery at turning off my search indexer, and going without my antivirus seems like ten kinds of dumb, that said, neither service saw spikes like THAT before the last update to the dev channel edge.