Dev channel update to 84.0.488.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 84.0.488.1 to the Dev channel.  This is our first update for major version 84, and we’ve also got a discussion going around what color you expect your InPrivate windows to be:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/inprivate-theming/m-p/1314407.  As for all the most noteworthy changes: 

Added features: 

• Added a dropdown UI when browsing in fullscreen mode to be able to access tabs and the address bar without exiting fullscreen (unofficially referred to as Shy UI). 
  • Added a management policy to prevent the creation of a desktop shortcut when Edge is installed. 
  • Added messaging to inform users when the internal PDF reader is disabled via the “Always Open PDF Externally” management policy. 

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where protected video on certain websites doesn’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue dragging a tab out of a window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an InPrivate window on Mac crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where cancelling an autofill payment card authentication sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigating from an IE mode website to a non-IE mode website in the same tab sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to check for updates on edge://settings/help showed a “Could not create Component” error. 
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud and Grammar Tools sometimes don’t work. 
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes fail to open on devices with low battery. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing autofill data from other browsers sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed an issue where pinning websites to the Taskbar fails when the site’s name is too long. 

Changed behavior: 

• Improved the number of situations where browser sign-in is supported even though the browser is running with admin privileges. 
  • Increased the languages supported for spellchecking when using the Windows-native spellchecker. 
  • Fixed an issue where a Jumplist is missing or incorrect after installing Edge. 
  • Fixed an issue where password fields on webpages sometimes can’t be typed into. 
  • Fixed an issue where icons are missing from menus. 
  • Fixed an issue where text sometimes isn’t visible in PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where the “Press F11 to exit full screen” notification sometimes appears on the wrong screen. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleting an item in History scrolls the page back to the top. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are added to Collections sometimes fail to load an accompanying image for its Collection item. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping items into a Collection sometimes results in images that don’t load. 
  • Fixed an issue where some Collections UI isn’t visible when the browser is using zoom levels > 100%. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Touch Bar media scrubber sometimes doesn’t appear on pages that have media. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Favorites bar or find on page popup sometimes aren’t visible in the Shy UI. 
  • Fixed an issue where items on the Downloads shelf sometimes appear highlighted even when they’re not being hovered over or clicked. 
  • Fixed an issue where form autofill sometimes suggests incorrect card or address info when some fields of a webpage are already filled in before autofill is triggered. 
  • Fixed an issue where the street portion of saved addresses can’t be removed when editing a saved address in Settings. 
  • Changed Collections to use the name of the collection as the sheet name when exporting a collection to Excel. 
  • Disabled the Pinning Wizard in guest windows. 

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved now that version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, thanks for all your feedback and all the bugs you find! 

41 Replies
With dev switching to 84, is beta also switching to 83 today?
When custom new picture for NTP is getting out of controlled feature rollout?

@josh_bodner 

You are still saying "you can temporarily turn [the scrolling personality] off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag"

I am still saying the day that option disappears I uninstall all versions of Edge and give up on it. I simply will not put up with overscroll 'rubber-banding' and all the rest on my laptop. You should have an overt option in Settings for users to switch between the two scrolling methods and stop saying it's 'temporary'.

You also say "Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices." It happened for me with EVERY page on EVERY website where the page was long enough for vertical scroll.

AND part of the justification is matching behaviour for e.g. touch screen phones. Scrolling on my Android does NOT cause the contents to rubber-band overscroll. There is an overscroll effect indicator overlay over the contents, but the actual contents just stop dead at top or bottom.

@josh_bodner 

"dropdown UI when browsing in fullscreen". Was waiting for this for a long time. Great Job.

Suggestions:

1. It's hard to access the top part in full-screen mode as the UI drops down. It's a bit hard in this site as well as Facebook, youtube [Using large text size and 125% Zoom].
  2. The taskbar also should popup if pointed.

@DavidGB For what it's worth, on 2 different computers (one a MS Surface 5 with Intel graphics and the other a Dell Alienware Alpha with nVIDIA graphics) I get neither the wobble nor a bounce from scrolling.  I haven't changed any flags....

And iPhone do bounce at the top and bottom.  Not saying I like it or hate, but it's there.  *shrug*

Big news from this user and perhaps other Star Trek fans. I can now view (with this new Edge release) Star Trek:Picard  w/o having to turn off hardware acceleration in settings, which is the default setting if memory serves. Took me awhile to stumble on this "solution" but it seems OK now.  Stand down yellow alert and thanks!!

No idea if this was "fixed" on the CBS All Access end or not. They are the providers of this program.  All other sites worked OK w/acceleration enabled, but not CBS, till now.

Surface Go with Win10 fully up to date if that matters.

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner 
"Improved the number of situations where browser sign-in is supported even though the browser is running with admin privileges."

YAY!! It works!! Finally!! Thank you!!

@josh_bodner I'm still seing problems with videos and gifs, they become black sometines, but they are playing, sometimes moving the page up or down, shows the video, or it becomes black only when showing the controls over it, or the mouse is over

@josh_bodner Is there a way to make the Shy UI less aggressive? Whenever I try to click on a UI element near the top of the screen (the Facebook 'f', for example) the tab & address bar drops down and gets in the way. It's very, very annoying!! A longer timeout before dropping down the bar, or even a smaller trigger area (closer to the top edge of the screen) would go a long way here. Thanks!!
But the Shy UI didn't work with video fullscreen like YouTube right?

Hi @josh_bodner 

After updating to this build I can no longer paste items in Microsoft Community Editor. Have to switch over to Edge stable in the meantime. Feedback already filed.

Shy UI works fine on keyboard systems, just use Control-L to bring up the address bar in fullscreen mode.

How about for touchscreen tablets like Surface Pros? On those devices, I have to exit fullscreen mode to access the address bar.

@josh_bodner So I seem to have a hit weird bug after updating to the latest build.

I can copy/paste words/links onto Google Doc/Slack only once but beyond this, I can copy/paste stuff onto the address bar but stuff is not being pasted onto Google Doc or Slack. Is there a workaround/fix for this bug. I have deleted cookies and restarted the browser but the bug still remains.

@josh_bodner 

I'm glad to see the Dropdown UI is now activated by design and has become an official feature of edge. I experimented with it since it became available months ago by enabling edge://flags/#edge-enable-shy-ui 

But unfortunately the issues of the previous versions are still unsolved: 

• You can't invoke it on a touch device with your finger (only with a pen/stylus), the swipe-in function is just missing. Which is a bit annoying, because fullscreen mode is primarly used on tablets because of the limited screen space. 
  • It regularly freezes edge after a few touches on tabs, press and hold to exit fullscreen mode also doesn't work then anymore. Only way to exit edge is to hit the device's Windows-button and then shut down edge by long press the taskbar icon. 
  • I've also noticed that there are many websites where the right-click menu (press and hold on touch devices) to exit fullscreen mode isn't shown, so again no way to leave fullscreen except to shut down edge. 
  • And after you exit fullscreen mode, it gives you this (notice the tabs are all invisible now)

Screenshot (2).png

Thanks for the good work, at least we have a urgently needed feature that was always missed in Chrome, but please keep an eye on fixing the above. 

I noticed the same issue with touch, didn't think of the pen input workaround, thanks though!
I filed feedback :)

@josh_bodner  Paste/CTRL V not working in gmail.  Fine in chrome and FF.

So the problem is not confined to a single site I mentioned above. Thanks Steve for the confirmation.

• Fixed an issue where a Jumplist is missing or incorrect after installing Edge. 

Oh, finally! :lol: Bye-bye Ctrl-Shift-N

Jeez, you harp on this every time.