Dev channel update to 83.0.474.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 83.0.474.0 to the Dev channel.  Believe it or not, this is actually going to be one of the last builds for major version 83, in accordance with our updated release schedule here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/03/20/update-stable-channel-releases/.  We’ve also got a nice long article here detailing our work on scrolling:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/04/02/scrolling-personality-improvements/.  As for everything else that’s worth mentioning:

Added features: 

• Added the ability to show which folder a favorite is in when you search for a favorite on the Favorites management page and then right click a result. 
  • Added the ability to create a list of sites that are exempt from the deletion of cookies when the browser is configured to delete browsing data upon closing. 
  • Added an option to use quieter website notifications that don’t show unprompted popups. 
  • Added a search box to the Mac Touchbar when there is only one tab open. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes when showing the Guided Switch popup. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Word sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes on launch when Application Guard is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigating in an Application Guard window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where the Downloads management page sometimes crashes. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to use the F12 Dev Tools in a language that’s different than the browser’s language sometimes causes the Tools to fail to launch. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites sometimes hang when trying to load if Information Protection is enabled. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots are all black if the media autoplay blocking setting is set to Block. 
  • Fixed an issue where menus like the … menu are sometimes displayed incorrectly near screen edges. 
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar while the left mouse button is pressed results in characters not being properly typed. 
  • Fixed an issue where a tab that’s restored after restarting the browser will navigate to the same page when the back button is clicked if the page that was restored was blocked by SmartScreen before the browser restart. 
  • Fixed some issues around interacting with windows for websites that are pinned to the Taskbar. 
  • Fixed an issue where websites that should be viewed in IE mode are sometimes opened in regular tabs instead. 
  • Fixed an issue where Guest mode is still available when the Force Sign In management policy is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where an image sometimes won’t be added correctly to an item in a Collection and instead it will just show a loading spinner. 
  • Improved messaging when using the Command+Q keyboard shortcut on Mac.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/articles/macos-blog-improved-messaging-on-the-command-q-alert... for more details. 

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved once version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • Some users are seeing high CPU use in tab or extension processes.  Usually, ending the process, for example via Task Manager, reduces the CPU use back down to normal.  We are currently investigating, and a set of steps to reliably reproduce this behavior would help us if anybody has some. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

We appreciate your patience as we work through these trying times! 

56 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Hello,

Can we be able to sync this site list between devices? because it's a lot of work to add sites one by one to the list and there is no easy way, like a checkbox next to the cookies, to select them, so if we could sync these between devices it would make life a lot easier, thank you

"Added the ability to create a list of sites that are exempt from the deletion of cookies when the browser is configured to delete browsing data upon closing. "

by the way, one of the last builds of 83 means this one is the last one and next Dev build will be on version 84?

@HotCakeX Next week's update is scheduled to be our Beta candidate/final 83 build.  It's just that there won't be that many builds between this one and next week's, so next week's update is likely to be lighter than normal.  

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX Next week's update is scheduled to be our Beta candidate/final 83 build.  It's just that there won't be that many builds between this one and next week's, so next week's update is likely to be lighter than normal.  

So..next week's update (next Dev channel update) will be the last Dev channel update that is on version 83.

"there won't be that many builds between this one and next week's"

in this part you're talking about Canary channel, right?

or maybe you mean that the actual build number (83.0.474.0) won't increase much?

@josh_bodner 

I've read the new blog post on 'scrolling personality', and I can only repeat what I said before.

Never mind the wobble, I thought the overscroll rubber-banding was a bug that would be fixed before asking here and being told what it was and how to turn it off. Here you are again saying that the ability to turn off the 'scroll personality' in flags is only 'temporary'.

To be clear, on my Windows 10 precision touchpad non-touch laptop I expect - and insist on - my browser scrolling to be the same as it is in Firefox, Google Chrome and the rest of my programs, none of which rubber-band. With the 'scrolling personality' disabled in flags I get the scrolling I expect and am happy.

If you remove that flag I will be very UNhappy - unhappy enough that the first Canary and Dev I update to where I cannot turn off overscroll rubber-banding etc I will uninstall Edge and stop considering it as a browser I may migrate to. (I certainly won't migrate until several features are added to Android Edge including the ability to sync history and open tabs between android and desktop.)

And any talk about trying to emulate anything about the EdgeHTML Edge scrolling to me is bad, as hideous scrolling was one (though by no means the only) reason I only ever tried it once after first getting a Windows 10 machine.

You really should not be trying to come up with ONE scrolling behaviour for every OS and interface. Do not expect all laptop and desktop users to just get along with things you implement for the sake of touch screen users. KEEP AN OPTION FOR TRADITIONAL DESKTOP SCROLLING BEHAVIOUR.

Overscroll rubber-banding (and other new 'features' of the 'scrolling personality') are not just something I don't like but will maybe learn to live with over time while grumbling. They are something that alone and without any other consideration will make me uninstall all versions of Edge and never look at it again (and on Android phones too, even though overscroll is expected there, as I will always use same make browser on laptop and phone for syncing, so if you kill it for me on laptop, that's an automatic uninstall on phone too).

Stop trying to have one scrolling personality. Have at least two, with an option in settings (not hidden in flags), one 'touch' personality and one traditional desktop one. Otherwise, the moment that disable personality ceases to be temporary and disappears, so will I from your maybe-userbase.

@josh_bodner 

I am seeing the high CPU usage on tabs, but, it's random. Random tabs and at random times. I do not know what exact steps you need in order to be able to reproduce the issues in house.

Please let me know how I can help. Thank you!

- Michael

Same here, dont know how to reproduce id (even that I updated it the latest version). What I found out is that when I open browser task manager its always New tab entry thats using the most of CPU (https://imgur.com/a/L7CyORT) - 68.7 is the cpu usage at that moment. Even when I close the new tab (no new empty tabs opened) - cpu usage is still high. I have also, before that, disabled dark reader extension.

@josh_bodner wrote:
Some users are seeing high CPU use in tab or extension processes.  Usually, ending the process, for example via Task Manager, reduces the CPU use back down to normal.  We are currently investigating, and a set of steps to reliably reproduce this behavior would help us if anybody has some.

@josh_bodner 
I noticed this issue myself yesterday. It only happened with Feeder (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/rss-feed-reader/pnjaodmkngahhkoihejjehlcdlnohgmp). Since I have a Surface Pro 6, I would hear the CPU fan going out of control every time my browser was on with the extension installed and running. It would slow down after a while only if I ended the process or uninstalled the extension. I have no issue with it on either Chrome or Opera when it's installed from the Chrome Store, so this is definitely a MS Edge issue.

By the way, Netflix stopped working again yesterday (or during the weekend) and this new patch didn't solve the problem. The screen is white or black and the video is loading, but not playing. If I try to skip ahead, it crashes.

cool. my lastpass extension was one of the culprit that causing high cpu. end task from taskmgr closed the lastpass extension until next restart of edge. hope it helps
Sheesh!
Looks like rubber band scrolling effect was in apple products too and users tried to get rid of it as well

@josh_bodner 

Just wanted to say that I love the scrolling behaviour updates. Ran side-by-side against Chrome 81 and there is a big difference in the 'feel' (much smoother, much more natural fling, overscroll bounce effect, etc) and this is across mouse, keyboard and touch (this was running on a Surface Studio 2). 

Nice job. 

@Michael Sovitzky-Reinders @josh_bodner 
Since the Dev channel update to 83.0.474.0, no more high CPU usage for me (currently 4 hours of non-stop usage). 

@josh_bodner reposting my issue from the old thread:

Image of the day won't update on my main internet connection but updates fine on VPN.

Console throws up this error when Edge tries to get new image of the day using my main connection:

{"errId":8182,"errMsg":"Missing Hotspots Surface Creative.","errSource":"ImageHotspots.manager.ts","severity":1,"pb":{"customMessage":"Hotspots creative: null"}}

Image updates fine on VPN without any errors.

Started happening more than a month ago, different browser versions. Various troubleshooting steps (reinstalls, new settings etc) did not help.

@lunarsound 

Spoiler

@lunarsound wrote:

@josh_bodner reposting my issue from the old thread:

Image of the day won't update on my main internet connection but updates fine on VPN.

Console throws up this error when Edge tries to get new image of the day using my main connection:

{"errId":8182,"errMsg":"Missing Hotspots Surface Creative.","errSource":"ImageHotspots.manager.ts","severity":1,"pb":{"customMessage":"Hotspots creative: null"}}

Image updates fine on VPN without any errors.

Started happening more than a month ago, different browser versions. Various troubleshooting steps (reinstalls, new settings etc) did not help.

Yup that's what I'm getting too. but the opposite, when I connect VPN, I lose access to custom image on NTP and it reverts back to Bing daily images.

all of these are proof that it's still in controlled feature rollout phase and again Edge team didn't mention this..honestly it's confusing. why not announce a feature ONLY AFTER it's globally available?

@Stefan2142 Exact same behaviour here. Happens randomly when I open a new tab. Closing the tab back down does not bring CPU usage down. Have been closing entire browser when this happens to start fresh.

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:
  • Some users are seeing high CPU use in tab or extension processes.  Usually, ending the process, for example via Task Manager, reduces the CPU use back down to normal.  We are currently investigating, and a set of steps to reliably reproduce this behavior would help us if anybody has some. 

THIS should be number one all in flashing RED and all CAPS. 

I have to restart the browser several times a day as my laptop tries to fly away using the coolers. It's all random but I've noticed that youtube music and salesforce web sites like to eat cpu the most...

@josh_bodner 

I've experienced issues with high CPU when running extensions.  This happens reliably with The Great Suspender extension for Chrome (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg).  This was happening regularly with the previous Edge Dev build on 64-bit Windows 10.  I can repro this by opening up a number of tabs (e.g. 10) and leaving them idle until The Great Suspender suspends a number of the tabs.  Message me directly if you want more exacting steps or details.

high cpu usage:
sometimes on sites with mixed media that includes 'streaming elements' eg video/audio, this can happen even if the video is stopped, or closed out.
on pages like google docs, it can happen if the page(s) are open for awhile, eg longer than an hour.
I've seen this happen on amazon.com product pages and search results pages.
there appears to be no direct triggering event or sequence, it just appears to happen out of nowhere.
The scrolling personality is one of Edge's most popular, defining features. If it's that big of a dealbreaker for you, you're probably better off just sticking to Chrome or Firefox.