Dev channel update to 83.0.467.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, we’re hoping to get back on track by releasing build 83.0.467.0 to the Dev channel.  For our other channels, we’ve posted an update to our blog post here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/03/20/update-stable-channel-releases/.  It outlines our plans for Beta, which will skip version 82 and then see and update straight to version 83 later, as well as Stable, which will soon be updated to version 81 in order to align with Chromium’s release schedule.  Additionally, we announced an update to our TLS 1.0/1.1 deprecation plans for Edge Legacy and IE here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/03/31/tls-1-0-tls-1-1-schedule-update-edge-ie11/

In more fun news, we released a new teaser video here that shows off some upcoming features like Line Focus in the Immersive Reader, Vertical Tabs, and Give with Bing:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg5cUyPBHjI.  We also wanted to make sure you know that we really do read your feedback:  https://twitter.com/MSEdgeDev/status/1244684674166710273.  As for the most noteworthy additions over the last few days: 

Added feature: 

• Added the ability to resume a download from the Downloads management page. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where watching protected video on certain devices sometimes causes a bluescreen.  Note that this fix temporarily prevents certain video features from working until a more permanent fix can be put into place. 
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening the Collections pane sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when exporting a Collection to a Word document. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites experience hangs when Tracking Prevention is enabled. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where inactive tabs no longer use the Windows accent color if it’s set to appear in title bars. 
  • Removed the ability to install or launch apps or PWAs from the … menu in InPrivate windows. 
  • Changed the link that appears on the Favorites Bar if there are no favorites there to go to the Favorites Management page instead of the Import page. 
  • Changed the behavior of installing websites as apps to no longer create a desktop shortcut as part of installation. 
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites report a problem with cookie settings. 
  • Fixed an issue where folders on the Favorites Bar sometimes don’t open. 
  • Fixed an issue where inking on a local PDF file and clicking the save button unexpectedly shows the Save As dialog. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the video scrubber on the Touchbar was appearing for webpages that don’t have any video content. 
  • Fixed an issue where videos sometimes aren’t added properly to a Collection. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item from the new tab page to a Collection results in the wrong favicon being shown in the Collection. 

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some previous fixes in that area. The most common way this is triggered is by installing the Stable channel of Edge and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available.  However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we wait for some of the fixes we’ve made to come to Stable, make sure to leave plenty of time in between runs of the deduplicator.  We hope that this will be improved once version 81 is released to Stable. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black.  Opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware, and is most easily triggered by resizing an Edge window. 
  • Some users are seeing “wobbling” behavior when scrolling using trackpad gestures or touchscreens, where scrolling in one dimension also causes the page to subtly scroll back and forth in the other.  Note that this only affects certain websites and seems to be worse on certain devices.  This is most likely related to our ongoing work to bring scrolling back to parity with Edge Legacy’s behavior, so if this behavior is undesirable, you can temporarily turn it off by disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

Thanks for hanging with us as we had to deviate from our usual pace over the past couple of weeks! 

49 Replies

@josh_bodner

Very pleased to see inactive tabs using the Windows accent color again in Dev as well as Canary. You are still referring to disabling the edge://flags/#edge-experimental-scrolling flag as a temporary measure to use: I still believe you should turn it into a setting - something like 'Touch screen scrolling' with an on/off switch. For me, on a non-touch-screen laptop, the scrolling behaviour with that flag disabled is exactly what I expect, no more and no less. Keep it with a setting. Don't try and make a one-size-fits-all scrolling for both touch screen and non touch screen; it will end up falling between two stools, good for neither. I never used Classic Edge for a number of reasons, amongst which the to me horrible scrolling behaviour was one, with all that bouncing off the bottom and the top of a page. Even if you get the 'experimental-scrolling' in new Edge just like old Edge, for me it will still be one reason not to switch to new Edge from my current normal browser (there's no question of me deciding to switch until you have history syncing between laptop and mobile Edge). Scrolling is just not supposed to be like that on a non-touch Windows laptop/desktop. Keep the current experimental-scrolling as an OPTION for touch screen users, and keep the current experimental-scrolling OFF as an option for non-touch-screen users that doesn't need diving into the flags page. Options are good; options are a selling point. Forced no-option funky behaviour is bad.

Hey @josh_bodner
Sorry to bother you with this again, but any news on the "allow sign-in while running as an admin" feature? I don't see it on the planning posts (from MissyQ), not even in a 32-week horizon. Thanks!

@josh_bodner "Fixed an issue where inactive tabs no longer use the Windows accent color if it’s set to appear in title bars." Ha, very interesting. I was wondering if that was a glitch or a design choice. Nice to see it back to normal.

@josh_bodner Hey, I just want to mention how excited I am about vertical tabs. When the new Edge was first announced, I was afraid it was going to be a Chrome clone, but everything from Collections, to tracker blocking, to menu design, to the upcoming vertical tabs has put those fears to rest. This will help set Edge apart, and it also shows love to desktop users with big widescreen displays (at a time when many developers just care about mobile).

@josh_bodner 

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.22.19 AM.png

Randomly, Microsoft Edge Helper is hogging all of my i9 CPU. 

It's only renderings for videos, but I like the layered look they show. It feels like a modern version of Windows 7 Areo theme. 

rjpaulsen_0-1585754955880.png

I keep hoping there will be an improvement to the active tab when using the dark theme. When Edge has the focus, the active tab is basically the same as the other tab:

rjpaulsen_0-1585755253828.png

When Edge does not have the focus, it's much easier to see the active tab:

rjpaulsen_1-1585755311216.png

...it almost seems backwards.

Yeah, I like the "cards" they use in the UI for the various elements.

@josh_bodner It's me again. The vertical tabs got me thinking, because I was curious how tied the Edge UI is to its Chromium underpinnings. Not being a developer, I really don't know how it all works. But if MS can devise something as dramatic as vertical tabs, they clearly have a great ability to redesign things to their liking, despite using the Chromium base. So (and maybe this isn't the best place to put this, but I hope someone gets the message) this means MS could definitely implement tab switching in recently used order. Chrome users have been begging for this for years. If Edge can do it, it'd be a seemingly small but clear signal that they really care about desktop users. Please! :folded_hands:

@josh_bodner 

Ridiculously high CPU usage occurring on random open tabs - 25%+

Thank you for the tab accent colour fix... it was driving me nuts!

@josh_bodner I've reported this bug via feedback but want to post it here for visibility. The Dark Reader extension is starting to have high CPU usage since this update. I think the update broke it somehow.

Yes I'm facing this issue too but I think its because of Dark Reader extension. I think this update broke that extension and am seeing CPU usage above 25%

@bhargavreddy 

Is that something built in? As I don't have that extension.

@Mapantz interesting. So when I have the high CPU usage and I delete that process from task manager I get a balloon pop up saying that dark reader extension has crashed. That's why I thought the update might have broken dark reader extension. Could be a different underlying issue too then

@bhargavreddy 

When I open the task manager and delete the process, one of the tabs I have open says it has crashed.

Yeah, after using it for a while with the dark reader extension removed, I still encounter high CPU usage. But when I kill that task I don't seem to get any crashes.

@josh_bodner attaching browser task manager to show the CPU usage of extensions.

@bhargavreddy 

Here's what happens to webpages for me when I kill the process that's using silly amounts of CPU.