Dev channel update to 82.0.446.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.446.0 to the Dev Channel.  For this week’s most noteworthy new additions: 

Added features: 

• Added a capability to Guided Switch to ask to switch to a work or school profile when work or school content is being opened in a personal profile. 
  • Added better drag and drop support for Collections. 
  • Added support for more websites to properly add price and rating information to a product that’s been added to a Collection. 
  • Added support for the Native Window Occlusion management policy from upstream Chromium. 
  • Added the option to the Manage Search Engines management policy to allow search provider discovery. 
  • Added improved messaging to accounts that aren’t able to sync to explain why they can’t. 
  • Enabled the new Fluent designs for webpage controls like the calendar picker or dropdown on Mac. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where high CPU usage is seen when idle. 
  • Fixed an issue where showing the “Move to another window” menu sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the “Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when syncing favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an Application Guard window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key when typing in the Address Bar sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix fails to play with error D7356 on certain devices. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing the surf game. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a tab with a PDF document out of a window and into its own window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch for 32-bit Edge when Windows Information Protection is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where sync doesn’t work when certain VPN extensions are installed. 
  • Improved the reliability of updating after Edge hasn’t been updated for a while. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed one cause of audio being randomly muted. 
  • Fixed an issue where address bar history is sometimes not properly deleted when the browser is set to delete browsing data on close. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the favorites deduplication tool causes the option to show only the favicon to get reset for some favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where dialogs that are opened from IE mode tabs appear behind the window. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the Taskbar icon for a window that has a dialog open in an IE mode tab doesn’t also bring the dialog to the forefront. 
  • Fixed an issue where languages in Settings can’t be selected to “Offer to translate pages in this language”. 
  • Fixed an issue where expected popups on certain websites don’t work when Tracking Prevention is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to reset the zoom level to 100% doesn’t work in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking shortcuts on the Taskbar to PWAs sometimes launches a regular Edge window instead of a PWA window. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes/dots drawn on PDFs can’t be erased. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes or dots sometimes aren’t properly drawn on PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where users can’t save payment cards locally because the option to do so is missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where internal pages like Extensions or Favorites sometimes can’t be scrolled. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDF files aren’t opened in an external application when the setting to do so is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where DirectInvoke doesn’t work when SmartScreen is disabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where a message saying you’re required to sign in using a work or school account sometimes appears even when you already are. 
  • Fixed an issue where some products that are added to a Collection don’t have the proper number of ratings. 
  • Fixed an issue where windows opened via Guided Switch sometimes don’t have any UI (tabs, address bar, etc.)
  • Reduced the number of times you need to sign into a website after it’s been moved to another profile via Guided Switch. 
  • Reduced the number of prompts to save a password when the field being saved is a CVV for a payment card. 
  • Reduced the number of times an item in a Collection has no image associated with it. 
  • Improved the first-launch experience of Application Guard after taking an OS upgrade. 
  • Improved messaging on ARM64 to explain why Flash isn’t available on that platform. 
  • Improved the color of the title bar for PWAs. 
  • Removed the ability to add all tabs from an InPrivate or Guest window to a Collection. 
  • Removed support for the Share feature on versions of Windows prior to Windows 10.  

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, we appreciate all your suggestions and your help finding bugs! 

100 Replies

@HotCakeX  Still can using Edge as a  default browser , all you do is to disable Favorites in synchronize settings and keep backup as a saved html file

@MarsMas 

@MarsMas wrote:

@HotCakeX  Still can using Edge as a  default browser , all you do is to disable Favorites in synchronize settings and keep backup as a saved html file

That's not convenient for average users. and to explain it to everyone to do it is impractical. best thing is to wait it out and let the developers fix it before using Edge as default browser.

they should have delayed the rollout through Windows update for at least 3 or 4 months, until Edge stable reached version 82 or 83 at least.

@HotCakeX i see ok 

lol that works.
Ah, okay, 'cuz I couldn't find it either. This "leak" does make me happy though!

@josh_bodner Please fix Edge interaction with MPV player.

Problem:

If a file extension associated with mpv player, it becomes impossible to download such file with Edge. Either nothing is happening when pressing "Save As" or trying to download the file using "Download" function of the native Edge media player, or Edge offers to Open the file in mpv instead of offering to save it.

Steps to repro:

Try downloading a random webm file with Edge - there shouldn't be any issues. Doesn't have to be webm, just a media file associated with mpv.

Now "install" mpv from the link below using a bat file, associate webm with mpv and try to download the same webm again - either nothing is happening or Edge offers to Open this file in mpv player. 

MPV player in quiestion: https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/

Integrated in OS via mpv-install.bat that comes with the player in mpv/installer folder (since the player is portable), here's full contents of this bat: https://pastebin.com/CtkxRPyT

I know mpv isn't a popular Windows player but I don't have such issues saving files with vanilla Chromium or Firefox, so this leads me to believe this is an Edge issue and not mpv. 

I've attached an example of the Open dialogue that pops up when I press "Save As".

@josh_bodner welp, my previous post was classified as spam and removed so reposting a tl;dr version without any links.

There's a weird issue with how Edge interacts with mpv player on Windows. It's impossible to download a media file that is associated with mpv player using Edge. For example a webm file associated (open with) with mpv. Either nothing will happen when you try to save it in Edge (no Save window popup) or Edge will offer to Open a file (in mpv) instead of showing "Save" window.

Easy way to reproduce is try to download a webm with Edge when webm isn't associated with any player, and do the same after assigning webm format to open with mpv.

This doesn't happen with Chromium or Firefox, only new Edge.

Can we control it client-side?

@HotCakeX sometimes; not every feature is given a user-controllable flag, but can still be turned on or off server-side via a controlled rollout.  In general, if it's behind a flag, that means it's not ready yet, and there's no way to know just how ready something is.  It may be ready enough to be under a rollout already, or it may be so unstable that it causes you to crash on launch (I've learned that one the hard way).  Plus, the more flags you turn on, the more likely you are to compound the instability.  

@DavidGB The idea behind Edge's "scrolling personality" is that the page content follows the finger's movements "naturally" at all times, so even when there is nothing to scroll, i.e. when overscrolling, the page moves to indicate that you have reached the edge of the page in a more fluent manner than just having the scrolling stop abruptly.
It's very similar to the general scrolling behavior you get on iOS and macOS, and the same idea as that behind gestures like zoom pinch-to-zoom. Typically when you see people lauding the "scrolling performance" of Edge, what they mean is precisely the way it smoothly follows the finger even beyond the scrollable area.

I disagree that it should be disabled by default. I don't have anything against a settings toggle, though, I don't care either way. If anything were to be changed about the scrolling behavior, I would perhaps tone down or remove the *horizontal* overscrolling, as sometimes it conflicts with the back/forward gesture and sometimes the site will scroll to the side slightly when I only wanted it to go up. *Vertical* overscrolling feels good, though.

@josh_bodner What exactly is the bug you say you have opened in this context?

it would be better in settings where we can see it, realise it's a thing, and can easily turn it off when we find it too disconcerting

@DavidGB in this case, there's no setting because there was never intended to be an option of whether to use Edge's scrolling behavior or Chromium's.  Bugs notwithstanding, we believe Edge Legacy's behavior was superior, so it's just intended to replace Chromium's default behavior.  

what exactly is this scrolling 'personality' supposed to do

The major parts of it are that it behaves like most other touchscreen devices do when scrolling with your finger:  you can pull past the page area, it bounces back if you scroll and let go and let it hit the end of the page, etc.  

@lunarsound which channel of Edge do you see this in?  And if you change your setting to ask before saving a file, does it help?  

@adrianghc the bug is that using the two-finger gesture to scroll in one dimension (vertically, for example) is way too eager to also try to scroll in the other (horizontally), and also gives up way too fast when it does, causing it to go back and forth in that dimension while it's only going in one direction in the other every time you do the gesture, which makes a page look like it's constantly moving left and right as you scroll down it.  The way the website is programmed affects it, so it's worse on some sites than on others.  

I see, thanks. That sounds like a bug report I can get behind.
Thank you, with these measures in place, Canary is as safe as Dev and probably Beta channel to use

@josh_bodner Changing "ask before save" has no effect on this and it happens on all channels: Canary, Dev and Beta. 

Mpv on Windows integrates into OS via mpv-install.bat that comes with the player so it might be due to some weird registry paths mpv adds. But since other browsers, including vanilla Chromium, have no such issue and work fine, this leads me to believe that this is mainly an Edge issue.

@josh_bodner 

OK, so you basically just said:

1 We are not giving a choice.

2 The only option is going to be behaviour suited to people using it on touch screens.

Seriously? Just a middle finger presented to all the people using it on desktops and non-touch-screen laptops. That is what your (team, not you personally) decision represents.

Having an OPTION of two behaviours, one for touch screens, one for non-touch-screen laptops and desktops would be a cool selling point (especially if there was a degree of auto-switching as to whether it is being use on a touchscreen device or in touchscreen mode on a device able to be used either way).

But what you just said says to me Microsoft no longer cares about the non-touchscreen market.

I have a touchscreen PHONE (which would use the Android Edge) and a NON-touchscreen laptop. Fine, I get the message. That really makes my day, along with the dark mode changes in yesterday's Canary I HATE, have made it unusable for me, and which aren't just options that let me keep the old theme if I want.

Please thank the UI design team for at least having given me an excellent browser dark mode before now taking it away that's let me redesign Firefox's dark mode to match through userChrome.css, making it the best Firefox has ever looked to me. Until this Edge dark theme change and my changing Firefox to match what Edge's was, on the theme/UI front I had it scored Edge 1 Firefox 0. Now you've wrecked Edge's dark theme but I've got Firefox's like Edge's was it's now Edge 0 Firefox 1.

How a simple tab background becoming dark renders the whole browser unusable?
the dark theme design was never finished, this change was simply another piece of puzzle to have a complete dark theme in Edge. it's still the same browser.
I wasn't complaining when Edge had a half cooked dark theme all this time and I had to use all kinds of tricks to install a chrome theme.

@DavidGB we're still investigating supporting custom themes, which may help you in the future, but for now, which change to dark theme is it that you don't like?  

@lunarsound did you install Edge after installing MPV or before?  Have you tried re-installing either to see if it helps?  

@josh_bodner yup, tried pretty much everything I could think of. Both reinstalling and switching install order on my main OS as well as Windows Sandbox - nothing changes, media download with Edge stops working for files set to open with mpv. Changing default app for the media file type from mpv to anything else instantly fixes download issues for that particular type.