Dev channel update to 82.0.446.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.446.0 to the Dev Channel.  For this week’s most noteworthy new additions: 

Added features: 

• Added a capability to Guided Switch to ask to switch to a work or school profile when work or school content is being opened in a personal profile. 
  • Added better drag and drop support for Collections. 
  • Added support for more websites to properly add price and rating information to a product that’s been added to a Collection. 
  • Added support for the Native Window Occlusion management policy from upstream Chromium. 
  • Added the option to the Manage Search Engines management policy to allow search provider discovery. 
  • Added improved messaging to accounts that aren’t able to sync to explain why they can’t. 
  • Enabled the new Fluent designs for webpage controls like the calendar picker or dropdown on Mac. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where high CPU usage is seen when idle. 
  • Fixed an issue where showing the “Move to another window” menu sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the “Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when syncing favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an Application Guard window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key when typing in the Address Bar sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix fails to play with error D7356 on certain devices. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing the surf game. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a tab with a PDF document out of a window and into its own window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch for 32-bit Edge when Windows Information Protection is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where sync doesn’t work when certain VPN extensions are installed. 
  • Improved the reliability of updating after Edge hasn’t been updated for a while. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed one cause of audio being randomly muted. 
  • Fixed an issue where address bar history is sometimes not properly deleted when the browser is set to delete browsing data on close. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the favorites deduplication tool causes the option to show only the favicon to get reset for some favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where dialogs that are opened from IE mode tabs appear behind the window. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the Taskbar icon for a window that has a dialog open in an IE mode tab doesn’t also bring the dialog to the forefront. 
  • Fixed an issue where languages in Settings can’t be selected to “Offer to translate pages in this language”. 
  • Fixed an issue where expected popups on certain websites don’t work when Tracking Prevention is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to reset the zoom level to 100% doesn’t work in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking shortcuts on the Taskbar to PWAs sometimes launches a regular Edge window instead of a PWA window. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes/dots drawn on PDFs can’t be erased. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes or dots sometimes aren’t properly drawn on PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where users can’t save payment cards locally because the option to do so is missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where internal pages like Extensions or Favorites sometimes can’t be scrolled. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDF files aren’t opened in an external application when the setting to do so is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where DirectInvoke doesn’t work when SmartScreen is disabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where a message saying you’re required to sign in using a work or school account sometimes appears even when you already are. 
  • Fixed an issue where some products that are added to a Collection don’t have the proper number of ratings. 
  • Fixed an issue where windows opened via Guided Switch sometimes don’t have any UI (tabs, address bar, etc.)
  • Reduced the number of times you need to sign into a website after it’s been moved to another profile via Guided Switch. 
  • Reduced the number of prompts to save a password when the field being saved is a CVV for a payment card. 
  • Reduced the number of times an item in a Collection has no image associated with it. 
  • Improved the first-launch experience of Application Guard after taking an OS upgrade. 
  • Improved messaging on ARM64 to explain why Flash isn’t available on that platform. 
  • Improved the color of the title bar for PWAs. 
  • Removed the ability to add all tabs from an InPrivate or Guest window to a Collection. 
  • Removed support for the Share feature on versions of Windows prior to Windows 10.  

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, we appreciate all your suggestions and your help finding bugs! 

100 Replies

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

whoops, that's my bad!  The "Add all tabs to a new collection" feature is still under a controlled rollout, so not everybody has it yet.  Usually I don't mention things until everybody has them, but this one slipped past me.  It's something for everybody to look forward to though!  

Ah thanks, that explains it

Might have been a bug because now everything is back to normal. I didn't even notice the missing drop shadow but that's probably why it looked so weird.
I like the rounded corners.
@madonion @josh_bodner

I've found the source of the wobble and how to turn it off!

The side-to-side wobble on fast scrolling, along with the way it will overshoot the top and bottom of the page then bounce back to the actual top and bottom, is all part of something called the 'Microsoft Edge scrolling personality' which I found in edge://flags. I disabled it, re-started, and now Edge scrolling is rock solid - no side-to-side wobble and no more overshoot of top and bottom. (So vague rubbery scrolling is a 'personality'?)

So that's where the problem is. Leaves the question of whether turning it off loses anything. Horizontal overscroll still steps forwards and backwards through the tab's history (which is a feature I hadn't noticed until looking at this).

Frankly the 'personality' scrolling wobble and overshoot-and-bounce is disconcerting enough that unless turning it off loses something significant I suggest having the option in settings rather than make users have to dig into the flags page. And I would have it DISABLED in the stable channel: as I said before, in its current state it makes Edge feel like some cheap shoddily made machine.

@josh_bodner 

Thanks for all your hard work on Edge and EdgeDev.

Under Known Issues, I am still having sync problems with Favorites as described below, despite following your advice: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time. 

Since this week's update, the deduplicator tool is now running terribly slow. Instead of taking a few to about 30 seconds to deduplicate favorites in EdgeDev, it takes as much as 5 minutes or more to run. Then, eventually,  the symptoms re-appear on all devices running EdgeDev.

Also, after installing the stable version of Edge on my devices I keep getting hundreds if not thousands of duplicate favorites in the stable version of Edge. I uninstalled and then re-installed stable Edge, but the duplicate entries re-appeared. 

Syncing favorites is still a massive problem for me. Any additional advice or a fix for these problems would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

PS I have also submitted this problem through the Feedback Hub link in EdgeDev, along with a screenshot. 

@Dino_Zuma 

Spoiler

@Dino_Zuma wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Thanks for all your hard work on Edge and EdgeDev.

Under Known Issues, I am still having sync problems with Favorites as described below, despite following your advice: 

Since this week's update, the deduplicator tool is now running terribly slow. Instead of taking a few to about 30 seconds to deduplicate favorites in EdgeDev, it takes as much as 5 minutes or more to run. Then, eventually,  the symptoms re-appear on all devices running EdgeDev.

Also, after installing the stable version of Edge on my devices I keep getting hundreds if not thousands of duplicate favorites in the stable version of Edge. I uninstalled and then re-installed stable Edge, but the duplicate entries re-appeared. 

Syncing favorites is still a massive problem for me. Any additional advice or a fix for these problems would be appreciated. 

Thank you. 

PS I have also submitted this problem through the Feedback Hub link in EdgeDev, along with a screenshot. 

They explained here that not to use Stable and Beta channels with Dev/Canary.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/top-feedback-summary-for-march-4/m-p/1209808

"As mentioned last week, we have an update to the Favorites sync issue. This is now resolved in Dev and Canary builds, which means it means the criteria for us to mark it as Addressed in this list. However, if you are using the Beta or Stable builds and syncing your favorites through those to Dev or Canary, there is a chance you will continue to see the issues listed. This is expected until the fix is pushed through to those builds. If you are experiencing favorites syncing issues in Dev and Canary and are not using a Beta or Stable build, please submit feedback through the browser so the team can investigate. Thanks so much to everyone who provided feedback around this so that the team could fully investigate and address these syncing issues!"

@Graymatter I noticed you now have to click four times to restore/maximize the window, at lest in one of my machines. It's a workaround until the Dev build is updated with the fix.

@AmineI a lot of the theory behind rolling out features gradually is that, without a control population, you can't determine the causality of any regressions with any amount of certainty.  In other words, if we unintentionally break something when we add a new feature, especially if it's something unrelated, we stand a much better chance of pinpointing it to being caused by the addition of that feature if there are still some people without that feature that we can compare to.  Plus, having an off switch in general lets us turn things off when bad things happen, which has already proven useful a few times.  

@Migue333 can you try it in any other channels?  I'm having trouble reproducing the behavior you're seeing.  In all the channels, on my Surface Laptop, tap and hold doesn't open the context menu on the title bar, but it does on links on pages.  

@DavidGB ah yes, this must be related to our work to bring scrolling back to where it was in Edge Legacy.  Obviously, we still have some work to do!  That's why it's behind a flag still.  

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

a lot of the theory behind rolling out features gradually is that, without a control population, you can't determine the causality of any regressions with any amount of certainty.  In other words, if we unintentionally break something when we add a new feature, especially if it's something unrelated, we stand a much better chance of pinpointing it to being caused by the addition of that feature if there are still some people without that feature that we can compare to.  Plus, having an off switch in general lets us turn things off when bad things happen, which has already proven useful a few times.  

Can we control it client-side?

I'm sorry, I figured what the issue is. When extension sync got enabled, the extension miniGestures (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/minigestures/apnjnepphihnjahpbfjiebcnpgmjnhfp) got installed on the Surface since I use it on my desktop and this is the source of the issue. I had used Edge on InPrivate mode to rule out extensions when I made my initial post but it also synced the option to have this extension run on InPrivate mode and I hadn't realize it.

@josh_bodner 

Yes the scrolling 'personality' is behind a flag, but the default is currently enabled, as it was set at default, I'd certainly never changed it (or even noticed it before) and explicitly disabling it cured the wobbly, rubbery scrolling. I'm suggesting the default should be disabled for the Stable channel at least, and for us mooks on Dev and Canary it would be better in settings where we can see it, realise it's a thing, and can easily turn it off when we find it too disconcerting. I mean up until i found that flag and disabled it, I just thought the scrolling was generally messed up; I really had no reason to suppose it was being caused by an experiment that needs a lot more work.

As I never used Edge Legacy, what exactly is this scrolling 'personality' supposed to do beyond normal, crisp, responsive and not-wobbling-all-over-the-place scrolling as in Firefox, Chrome, and Edge with the 'personality' turned off? If I had some idea what you're trying to do and what benefit it's supposed to provide I'd be more inclined to go through the performance of digging down to the flag and re-enabling it from time to time to test it.

@josh_bodner Posted in the wrong place before.

There's a scrollbar issue. I whizz my cursor over to the scrollbar to drag down the page, and it doesn't move, even though it is highlighted. 

This is awesome, regarding “Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/set-aside-tab-feature-collection-added-to-edge-in...

@josh_bodner

I lost all my passwords saved on New Edge after setting Windows User(not Network Account) password and restarting my computer. I had no User password before using New Edge.

New Edge Version: beta 81.0.416.31

Sorry, maybe I should not report that here.

But it is kind of difficulty to get in touch with you guys from China.

It is too slow to visit this Community and all websites of Microsoft. :(

I did Send Report on browser by the way.

Thank you.

@HotCakeX I forgot. I did repeat that twice by the way. 

@josh_bodner I see, thanks for your precisions :) !

@Aying1224 

@Aying1224 wrote:

@HotCakeX I forgot. I did repeat that twice by the way. 

Sorry, which comment you're replying to?

@HotCakeX 
I'm running only Dev versions on all my pc's & tablets, but the favorites syncing issues are getting out of hand.
I get doubles all the time, even after cleaning them up. It seems the cleanup isn't synced back into the cloud.
And yes, after an upgrade of the Dev channel, the dupes are aback straight away. Already logged this.

It's annoying, and I'm for sure not mixing several builds of Edge atm...

cheers!

I hope you're not using Edge (any channels) as your default browser because with these favorite sync issues, you might lose your data.
it happened to me that's why I use Firefox at my default and Edge canary 2nd.

favorite duplication never happened to be more, I use Firefox nightly, used to use Chrome Canary, also used many new browsers that were on beta and unstable phase, none of them had favorite duplication. I don't know how favorite syncing is implemented in Edge but I'm afraid it is a fundamental issue and they might need to redo the sync engine from scratch to be 100% sure that favorites are no longer lost or duplicated.