Dev channel update to 82.0.446.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.446.0 to the Dev Channel.  For this week’s most noteworthy new additions: 

Added features: 

• Added a capability to Guided Switch to ask to switch to a work or school profile when work or school content is being opened in a personal profile. 
  • Added better drag and drop support for Collections. 
  • Added support for more websites to properly add price and rating information to a product that’s been added to a Collection. 
  • Added support for the Native Window Occlusion management policy from upstream Chromium. 
  • Added the option to the Manage Search Engines management policy to allow search provider discovery. 
  • Added improved messaging to accounts that aren’t able to sync to explain why they can’t. 
  • Enabled the new Fluent designs for webpage controls like the calendar picker or dropdown on Mac. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue on Mac where high CPU usage is seen when idle. 
  • Fixed an issue where showing the “Move to another window” menu sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the “Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when syncing favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where opening an Application Guard window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key when typing in the Address Bar sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix fails to play with error D7356 on certain devices. 
  • Fixed a crash when playing the surf game. 
  • Fixed an issue where dragging a tab with a PDF document out of a window and into its own window sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash on launch for 32-bit Edge when Windows Information Protection is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where sync doesn’t work when certain VPN extensions are installed. 
  • Improved the reliability of updating after Edge hasn’t been updated for a while. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed one cause of audio being randomly muted. 
  • Fixed an issue where address bar history is sometimes not properly deleted when the browser is set to delete browsing data on close. 
  • Fixed an issue where using the favorites deduplication tool causes the option to show only the favicon to get reset for some favorites. 
  • Fixed an issue where dialogs that are opened from IE mode tabs appear behind the window. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the Taskbar icon for a window that has a dialog open in an IE mode tab doesn’t also bring the dialog to the forefront. 
  • Fixed an issue where languages in Settings can’t be selected to “Offer to translate pages in this language”. 
  • Fixed an issue where expected popups on certain websites don’t work when Tracking Prevention is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut to reset the zoom level to 100% doesn’t work in Immersive Reader. 
  • Fixed an issue where clicking shortcuts on the Taskbar to PWAs sometimes launches a regular Edge window instead of a PWA window. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes/dots drawn on PDFs can’t be erased. 
  • Fixed an issue where very small ink strokes or dots sometimes aren’t properly drawn on PDFs. 
  • Fixed an issue where users can’t save payment cards locally because the option to do so is missing. 
  • Fixed an issue where internal pages like Extensions or Favorites sometimes can’t be scrolled. 
  • Fixed an issue where PDF files aren’t opened in an external application when the setting to do so is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where DirectInvoke doesn’t work when SmartScreen is disabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where a message saying you’re required to sign in using a work or school account sometimes appears even when you already are. 
  • Fixed an issue where some products that are added to a Collection don’t have the proper number of ratings. 
  • Fixed an issue where windows opened via Guided Switch sometimes don’t have any UI (tabs, address bar, etc.)
  • Reduced the number of times you need to sign into a website after it’s been moved to another profile via Guided Switch. 
  • Reduced the number of prompts to save a password when the field being saved is a CVV for a payment card. 
  • Reduced the number of times an item in a Collection has no image associated with it. 
  • Improved the first-launch experience of Application Guard after taking an OS upgrade. 
  • Improved messaging on ARM64 to explain why Flash isn’t available on that platform. 
  • Improved the color of the title bar for PWAs. 
  • Removed the ability to add all tabs from an InPrivate or Guest window to a Collection. 
  • Removed support for the Share feature on versions of Windows prior to Windows 10.  

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before.  Fixing this should be easier now that the deduplicator tool is available. However, we’ve also seen duplication happen when running the deduplicator on multiple machines before either machine has a chance to fully sync its changes, so while we work on fixing this, make sure to only run the deduplicator on one machine at a time. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to test a potential fix, which we hope to bring to Dev and Canary soon. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process usually fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, we appreciate all your suggestions and your help finding bugs! 

100 Replies

@ngnlx 

Spoiler

@ngnlx wrote:

@josh_bodner I have faced the issue when using Collections feature.

I have more than 10 collections in the list. I try to add the current website to collection that have position 11(in the collections list) but I can't do that because Edge just list out first 10 item in collections list from 1 => 10, I can't do same with another collection that have position greater than 10. Please verify this.

I tried adding 15 items to a single collection and it worked. either by drag and drop or by right-click and add to collection.

Version 82.0.451.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

@HotCakeX 

@HotCakeX wrote:

@ngnlx 

Spoiler

@ngnlx wrote:

@josh_bodner I have faced the issue when using Collections feature.

I have more than 10 collections in the list. I try to add the current website to collection that have position 11(in the collections list) but I can't do that because Edge just list out first 10 item in collections list from 1 => 10, I can't do same with another collection that have position greater than 10. Please verify this.

I tried adding 15 items to a single collection and it worked. either by drag and drop or by right-click and add to collection.

Version 82.0.451.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

I believe @ngnlx is referring to:  Right-click a web page > Context menu displayed > select Add page to Collections > pop-out displayed with only your first 10 Collections (and an option to create a new Collection).  If you have more than 10 Collections, the 11th to n'th Collections are not shown in the pop-out list.

@Graymatter 

Thanks, yes you were right

dwdw.png

it doesn't show more than 10 last collections.

to fix this, I think they need to add a small scrollbar to the list so user can scroll up/down to select other collections.

@HotCakeX 

Favourites out of sync

Synchronized: Passwords Show input button. During the start.

Asynchronous: The favorites. Show the favorites bar. Theme.

@Graymatter 

It still works, just not double clicking. Try quadruple clicking. :xd::xd:

@josh_bodner The corners of the context menu and all flyouts aren't round anymore. Was that an intentional change?

context.pngflyout.png

@Curundor wrote:

@josh_bodner The corners of the context menu and all flyouts aren't round anymore. Was that an intentional change?

context.pngflyout.png

@Curundor  Interesting.  Mine are still rounded, and you seem to be missing the drop shadow as well.  See image below.  I'm using Windows 10 latest Insider Release Preview.  What OS are you using?

Graymatter_0-1584023668914.png

My guess is it was intentional as the original fluent design introduced in Win10 is boxy with sharp corners. I personally like it because then it feels more at home within Win10 as the OG Edge did and helps to differentiate from other browsers at a visual level.

@josh_bodner 

Whoa!!! I can almost use my Surface Pen now...  Did you change something and not highlight it?  It seems that there is a lag/delay between tapping in a text box and the handwriting input panel popping up, but it usually does!  If not, double-tapping occasionally does the trick.  (Is that by design?)  It feels rough, but it's a start!

@okartal 

Spoiler

@okartal wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Favourites out of sync

Synchronized: Passwords Show input button. During the start.

Asynchronous: The favorites. Show the favorites bar. Theme.

sync them with settings?

@josh_bodner 

Where is this option? a controlled feature rollout?

"Add all tabs to a new collection” context menu option

@josh_bodner "Fixed an issue where clicking the 'Add all tabs to a new collection' context menu option crashes the browser. " Hey, cool, I didn't even know that was a context menu option at all. That pretty much brings over the behavior from the old Set Tabs Aside feature, as I was hoping. Awesome :lol:

This reminds me (and this isn't just Edge), but why does the title bar context menu still look like something from Windows 98?

@JordanQ 

@JordanQ wrote:

@josh_bodner "Fixed an issue where clicking the 'Add all tabs to a new collection' context menu option crashes the browser. " Hey, cool, I didn't even know that was a context menu option at all. That pretty much brings over the behavior from the old Set Tabs Aside feature, as I was hoping. Awesome :lol:

And where is this option exactly that we can't find?

@DavidGB we're actively working on both open tabs and history syncing, which is why they both have grayed out switches with "Coming soon!" in the sync settings page.  No timeline we can announce right now though.  

For the scroll wobbling, I know for a fact this is something we're tracking since I opened the bug for it :smile: This is something that some hardware experiences more than others, so if you and anybody else who experiences it feel comfortable sharing what devices you have, it could help us.  For example, I see it a lot on my Surface Laptop's trackpad.  

For the website darkening, we're hoping to bring support for the full flags page to mobile, so in theory, if you can get to it via flags in mobile Chrome, you should eventually be able to do so in mobile Edge, assuming we also bring that particular flag over.  

@Migue333 are you using the mobile/Android/iOS version of Edge when you see the hold to open behavior failing, or the desktop/Windows/Mac version?  

@ngnlx @candicepoon owns Collections and will be happy to hear that you're using it so much!  I just checked our database, and we've already got a work item in the backlog to show the full list.  

@AmineI whoops, that's my bad!  The "Add all tabs to a new collection" feature is still under a controlled rollout, so not everybody has it yet.  Usually I don't mention things until everybody has them, but this one slipped past me.  It's something for everybody to look forward to though!  

@josh_bodner Thanks for the heads-up ! Controlled rollout, eh - hyped. Now I'll definitely check my context menu regularly for that option :lol:.

By the way, I've always wondered how/why these controlled rollouts were used in a test context. I see the point of controlled rollout for big releases, like Stable Windows 10's build updates, but I understand it less for features in an Insider build - been wondering that for a while, and not only regarding Edge Insider but also Windows Insider. Since we use an Insider channel, it should mean we're fine with testing, encountering and reporting issues & bugs, I believe.
Is it about user satisfaction ? Separating crashes due to the feature in testing and others ? Not sure honestly. 

I'm talking about the desktop version of Edge Dev build 82.0.446.0 on a Surface Pro 7 on Windows 10 build 19041.113. And the failing behavior applies to links on websites and the title bar outside of tabs.