Dev channel update to 82.0.425.3 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 82.0.425.3 to the Dev Channel.  As anticipated last week, this is the first build for major version 82.  Because this is the first Dev Channel build in a new version, we don’t have too much new to talk about, although we do have another opportunity for you to talk to us next week.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/edge-engineers-available-to-talk-with-you-on-feb-... for the details! 

Additionally, we made some new blog posts about some of the performance improvements we’ve been working on:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/02/13/performance-optimizations-edge-81/, and some of the Mac manageability improvements we’ve been making:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/02/20/edge-profiles-jamf-applications-custom-settings/.  Also, one of our engineers made a detailed post about how the ability to choose a default profile to open links in works:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/select-a-default-profile-to-open-external-links-i....  And as some users have noticed, we’ve begun rolling out Extension sync in Canary, so look for that soon in Dev!  Now, for what’s new: 

Added feature: 

• Added a management policy to allow the deletion of browsing data from Edge Legacy when it’s replaced by the installation of Edge’s Stable channel. 

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where importing favorites from another browser sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing settings from other browsers sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection via the context menu sometimes causes a crash. 
  • Fixed a crash when using Collections. 
  • Fixed a browser crash when closing a window for Collections users. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser. 
  • Fixed a crash when closing a window on Mac. 
  • Fixed an issue where printing a PDF sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to log into a webpage that uses the Windows login dialog sometimes causes a browser crash. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleting form autofill suggestions sometimes crashes the browser. 
  • Fixed an issue where users signed into the browser with a work or school account may see sync stop working. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleted Collections and deleted items in a Collection sometimes reappear when Collections sync is enabled. 
  • Fixed an issue where deleting a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane. 
  • Fixed an issue where importing certain data from other browsers like Chrome sometimes fails. 
  • Fixed a memory leak when viewing many Collections. 

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where on-premises work or school profiles (profiles with a DOMAIN\NAME format instead of a NAME@COMPANY.COM format) are not removable.  Note that we’ve also got more changes coming to stop creating these types of profiles by default.  See https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/enterprise/updates-to-auto-sign-in-with-on-prem-active-direct... for details. 
  • Fixed an issue where scrolling on a trackpad using the two-finger gesture sometimes causes webpages to jump straight to the top or bottom on certain devices. 
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to install a website as an app or pin it to the taskbar sometimes fails because the UI to finish the action never appears. 
  • Fixed an issue where address bar history is sometimes not properly deleted when the browser is set to delete browsing data on close. 
  • Fixed an issue where enabling Tracking Prevention prevents logging in on certain websites. 
  • Fixed an issue where video that uses Dolby Vision sometimes flashes or stutters. 
  • Fixed an issue where video playing on certain websites like Apple TV sometimes freezes. 
  • Improved performance of playing certain DRM-protected video on ARM64 devices. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where extensions that use native messaging don’t work properly. 
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the Touchbar sometimes isn’t responsive when playing fullscreen video. 
  • Fixed an issue where using IE mode tabs in multiple windows sometimes causes dialogs to appear over the wrong window. 
  • Fixed an issue where the update notification on the … menu fails to appear when there’s a pending Edge update.  
  • Fixed an issue where editing a Collection in one window sometimes doesn’t cause the Collection to be updated in other windows that are open. 
  • Fixed an issue where changing a setting doesn’t update the Settings UI, even though the setting is successfully changed. 
  • Changed the microsoft-edge: protocol evaluation to more closely match Edge Legacy’s behavior of not decoding URLs before navigating to them. 

Known issues: 

• Some users are seeing favorites get duplicated after we made some fixes in that area last month. The most common way this is triggered is by installing a new channel of Edge or installing Edge on another device and then signing into it with an account that has already signed into Edge before. 
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only supported way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. We’re currently engaging with the developers of that software to try to find a fix. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.  Note that this only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

We plan on updating Beta to major version 81 this week thanks to all your testing and feedback.  We couldn’t have done it without you! 

46 Replies

@Kam 

Spoiler

@Kam wrote:

@HotCakeX 

I just wanted to know. Sorry if I disturbed you.

oh not at all, I just simply asked why :)

@Rahsna Asurac 

Spoiler

@Rahsna Asurac wrote:

@josh_bodner (Tried to find the post mentioning the remove duplicate favourites tool, couldn't. )

After using the fav clean-up tool on *dev* I see more duplicates on *live* channel. It was suppose to remove them, not add more!? Also: I pressed UNDO on my *dev* device, but it would seem that it still went ahead with the changes. The latter should be fixed, and fast :)

Did anyone else try it and hit "undo" instead of the "OK" button?

I think for the bookmark duplication removal tool to work properly all Edge channels should have that, stable channel is too old and insider channels have newer features, their conflicts can lead to data loss and duplication.

Yes, I agree. I could certainly use it right now :grinning_face_with_sweat:
Now it has duplicated most of my favourites (folder and items) four times :face_screaming_in_fear:
This is why I don't use Edge as my default browser, only have it for testing purposes :)
Can you do it?

@Kam wrote:
Can you do it?

Do what

@josh_bodner 
Any news on the "sign in while running as an admin" limitation/feature? Last time I understood that it had external dependencies to be fixed by other teams before Edge could support it. Any feedback from those teams? Thanks!!

@josh_bodner 

Has the audio endpoint issue been resolved or is a fix coming? I have had to switch away from Chromium browsers at home because of it. 

I run a redirection driver/device (Synchronous Audio Router) which (can) creates custom/virtual endpoints that are actually persistent on restarting applications (unlike windows 10) and is able to reroute several audio sources windows 10 does not. Unfortunately Chromium currently will not have any audio while using this driver/device while any other browser or application works just fine.

@paulheu 

Spoiler

@paulheu wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Has the audio endpoint issue been resolved or is a fix coming? I have had to switch away from Chromium browsers at home because of it. 

I run a redirection driver/device (Synchronous Audio Router) which (can) creates custom/virtual endpoints that are actually persistent on restarting applications (unlike windows 10) and is able to reroute several audio sources windows 10 does not. Unfortunately Chromium currently will not have any audio while using this driver/device while any other browser or application works just fine.

Since it's a Chromium bug, I think you should mention it in here:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/list

Microsoft is simply one of Many contributors of Chromium, but the ones in charge of directly modifying it is in that website.

@HotCakeX 

In a previous discussion on this, the response was that MSFT was aware of the issue and was working (with Chromium) on resolving it (as it is a Windows specific issue).

In that context I'd consider this the right place to mention it, it was reported on feedback hub and it is on the Chromium list as well.

Okay good, by the way if a problem only happens on windows it doesn't mean Microsoft should only care about fixing it. Google Chrome has the most market share on Windows, so if there is something wrong, they should get worried too.
because other operation system don't use Chrome stuff.
Linux uses Firefox because it's open source and doesn't contain Google crap in it.
Mac users use Safari which is webkit.
so Google's only hope is Windows users.

I wish Edge didn't require downloads of certain files. For example, when using work items in TFS from within Visual Studio 2019, if I want to open an attachment (i.e. Excel spreadsheet), Edge requires me to download and save it before I can open it. PDFs as well. Frequently PDFs must be downloaded instead of simply opening in the browser. I don't want to have to save every file I open.

@hopmedic 

Spoiler

@hopmedic wrote:

I wish Edge didn't require downloads of certain files. For example, when using work items in TFS from within Visual Studio 2019, if I want to open an attachment (i.e. Excel spreadsheet), Edge requires me to download and save it before I can open it. PDFs as well. Frequently PDFs must be downloaded instead of simply opening in the browser. I don't want to have to save every file I open.

Edge should open your PDFs in browser by default.

you can check in here and see if the option is correctly turned off: edge://settings/content/pdfDocuments

also check in your Windows 10 settings and make sure Edge is the default PDF viewer.

you can do it by right-clicking on a PDF file, selecting "open with.." and choose Edge and check the box where it says "always use this application".

Excel files need to be downloaded, there is no other way to modify them with installed Excel program on your computer. alternatively you can open Excel files in Excel online from OneDrive or upload your local files to Excel online.

https://office.live.com/start/excel.aspx

@DaveLPG good to know that there's a workaround for not being able to access Star Trek!  We've had other issues recently around CBS and other video streaming sites not working, and we found that it was because people were using Tracking Prevention in Strict mode, so I'd be curious if that also fixed your problem, or if yours is a completely different issue.  

@Rahsna Asurac We've noticed a few people who have multiple Edge channels installed and who run the favorites deduplicator tool actually end up with more favorites, so we're working on making that not happen!  The undo thing might be new though, thanks for mentioning it!  

@ViniciusFonseca Unfortunately, it's probably going to be a while before any progress is made around being able to sign in while in admin mode.  Most of the dependencies are in Windows, and their ship schedule (even for fixes) is quite a bit slower than ours.  Also, there are lots of scenarios that can cause this behavior, so it requires many changes.  We have had some good discussions around which scenarios to prioritize, and right now the top cause we're planning on tackling is when UAC is turned off since that happens in many places (Windows Sandbox, local Windows admin accounts, etc.).  

@HotCakeX I think hopmedic meant that we don't have the "Run" or "Open" option like Edge Legacy had, as discussed here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/provide-run-open-save-save-as-options-when-downlo....  

@Davy49 yeah, that's why the Block option is hidden by default.  There are some deficiencies in Chromium's underlying blocking capabilities that require some time and effort to fix, and in the meantime we decided that blocking the Block option to prevent too many people from hitting false negatives like this to begin with was a better user experience for the population of Edge users overall.  

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX I think hopmedic meant that we don't have the "Run" or "Open" option like Edge Legacy had, as discussed here:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/provide-run-open-save-save-as-options-when-downlo....  

About that, I was wondering what's the status of that feature? that topic was opened ~ 5 months ago, still on latest canary version I don't see any sign of that feature.

Hi,@josh_bodner

Thanks for your reply concerning the autoplay issue, I was able to 'enable' the block option in settings before that option in flags got removed. While it does seem to help on some site's, on others it has virtually little to no effect.

David