Dev channel update to 81.0.403.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.403.1 to the Dev Channel.  One thing that we didn’t get a chance to mention last week was that we had to temporarily disable casting.  It’s still functional, but you have to enable the edge://flags/#load-media-router-component-extension flag.  We plan to enable it by default once again in a future update. 

We also started a discussion here around two features that many of you have expressed that you miss from Edge Legacy:  Set Aside Tabs and Warn On Close.  Users of lots of tabs in particular will want to check out https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-set-aside-tabs-and-warn-on-close/m-p/1...

Finally, we made a new blog post about a very cool web developer feature:  3D view.  You can learn how to enable it and check it out for yourself here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/01/23/debug-z-index-3d-view-edge-devtools/.  As for our most noteworthy changes this week: 

Added features: 

• Enabled the 3D viewer tool in the F12 Developer Tools.
  • Enabled localization of the F12 Dev tools so they will match the language the rest of the browser is using.
  • Enabled the link on the … menu to the Extensions management page in Application Guard windows now that extensions have been enabled.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that use Windows’ credential prompt in order to log in sometimes cause a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where using Collections sometimes causes a browser crash when closing a window.
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected video doesn’t play on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected video doesn’t play on certain devices.

Changed behavior: 

• Temporarily hid the Global Media Controls button that was inherited from Chromium.
  • Improved the white flashes that sometimes occur in Dark Theme when loading internal webpages like Favorites, History, etc.
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck is sometimes not enabled by default.
  • Fixed an issue where editing favorites on the Favorites management page sometimes causes folders to unexpectedly close or open.
  • Improved Browser Task Manager’s persistence of column widths.
  • Fixed an issue where there were two context menu entries to move a tab to a new window.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to translate a page into the same language it’s already in causes the Translate popup not to show the current language correctly.
  • Fixed an issue where the Done or Next button sometimes doesn’t appear during the First Run Experience.
  • Fixed an issue where parts of Collections are inappropriately hidden when the browser’s zoom level is set to greater than 100%.
  • Fixed an issue where pressing Shift+Tab when editing text in a Collection unexpectedly exits text editing mode.
  • Fixed an issue where pasting text into a Collection sometimes shows black on dark text when using Dark Theme.
  • Fixed text formatting issues when pasting text into a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where the option to Read Aloud is shown in places where it can’t be used.
  • Fixed an issue where the list of voices available in Read Aloud sometimes isn’t correct.
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud sometimes doesn’t read long phrases properly when using certain voices.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where websites installed as apps still have a too-tall title bar.

Known issues: 

• The dialog to install a website as an app sometimes doesn’t appear.
  • Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.  Note that some of these fixes don’t yet exist in the Stable channel, and the issue only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

As always, thanks for all your feedback and suggestions, we couldn’t do it without you! 

43 Replies

@josh_bodner 

I'm seeing an issue on the most recent DEV Channel build that doesn't show up in the GA build.  If I attempt to import settings from either IE or Chrome, the browser immediately crashes, regardless if the other browser is open.  This occurs regardless of whether I'm signed into a profile or not.  I have been able to reproduce this on multiple machines.  

Hello,

I have a couple of issues and both have to do with components ( edge://components/ )...

First, there appears to be a regression where edge://components/ is no longer displayed in dark mode/dark theme if you have that selected.

Secondly, "Check for update" does not work. For example: CRLSet has been on Version: 5649 for many days now and it is updated twice daily (so it is quite a few versions out of date).

Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. 

Not a SINGLE tab is loading... Even settings... Please see the screenshot..

Tried to reinstall edge, cleaned all sorts of caches and user profiles folders... No luck...

Any software that I should remove? What is this software? 

Any help on getting this fixed is greatly appreciated! 

@elastep and yes, I've tried --no-sandbox and --disable-features=RendererCodeIntegrity  

switches with no luck.

And I do not have Symantec installed...

@elastep 

@elastep wrote:

Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. 

Not a SINGLE tab is loading... Even settings... Please see the screenshot..

Tried to reinstall edge, cleaned all sorts of caches and user profiles folders... No luck...

Any software that I should remove? What is this software? 

Any help on getting this fixed is greatly appreciated! 

Forcepoint (websense)

@HotCakeX Yes... Shoot... Thanks for the help.

Anytime!

@Jeffrey Thorpe @elastep for anybody running into the STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION issues with Forcepoint, we're actively engaging with them about this issue.  They can reproduce it themselves, but they don't have a fix for it yet (nor do we), and we're also looking into engaging Google since this is likely something we inherited from upstream Chromium.  

If I attempt to import settings from either IE or Chrome, the browser immediately crashes

@SixStringFlyboy I believe this is an issue that was fixed in today's Canary (which means it should be in the next Dev build).  You could download Canary and try it if you want to confirm.  

I have a couple of issues and both have to do with components ( edge://components/ )...

@puff-m-d I'll let the owner know, thanks for reporting!  

Yep I'm seeing issues with Office 365 Outlook as a PWA. I get notifications of new messages but the UI doesn't update. Only since the last dev channel update.

I'm also noticing intermittent text corruption in the 81.0.403.1 build on my system with Intel UHD 620 integrated graphics.

Hello,

The second issue that I posted about in my above post ( https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-403-1-is-live/m-p/1140... ), ""Check for update" does not work.", now appears to be fixed.

@jbart007@josh_bodner and @Heath Bates 

I'm also encountering text rendering issues like you'd described occurring when selecting text after updating to Edge v81.0.403.1 and also installing KB4528760 and KB4532938 for Win10, like seen in the below screenshot:

Edge Text Rendering Bug 1.jpg

I've provided some additional details (as well as referenced your comments) in my attempts to narrow down under what circumstances this occurs in a new thread:
Bug: Selecting Text Causing Other Lines to Render as Random Characters (in Edge v81.0.403.1)

Hopefully, that new thread will at least help save time for others encountering the issue and considering submitting bug reports regarding it or provide some more details to help narrow down and fix the issue.

The issue remains in some cases even after deselecting text, and appears intermittent, as I'd detailed in that thread. Alt-tabbing and other cases where rendering/repaint gets triggered again result in different random characters appearing each time.

Please feel free to chime in, in that thread, if have any further details to add.

1. the problem is only happening in Edge Dev channel, other channels like stable or Canary don't have that problem.
2. Windows 10 updates don't have effects on it, very unlikely, because I'm on insider fast ring, didn't install those updates that belong to stable Windows 10, yet I could easily reproduce that bug on Edge Dev.
3. best thing is to wait it out, the fix is already included in Canary, so on the next major update, Dev will also receive the bug fixes.

@HotCakeX thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear a fix is in the pipeline for release to Edge Dev channel. Edge Dev just updated now, so hopefully don't end up seeing the issue in it. Will reply if reoccurs.

@HotCakeXUnfortunately, the major update for Dev channel just out today (81.0.410.1) failed to fix the text rendering issues occurring after text selection.

You can see the issue remains in the below screenshot (eg. occurring on this page) with random characters under "Pay as you go" above the selected text, which appears as different random symbols every time re-rendering occurs (eg. Alt-Tab and back).

image.png

Also, the issue remains even after deselecting text, as shown in the below screenshot, even after Alt-Tab or otherwise causing it be re-rendered again:

image.png

Hi@DanMoorehead_PowerWeb5AI 

Yes,

"the visual glitch is completely random and not caused by any user actions, although highlighting the text should fix it (at least until it happens again). It's caused by an upstream Chromium bug, and we received the fix for it from them earlier this week, so it should make it into the next Dev release."

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-410-1-is-live/m-p/1154...

@josh_bodner Is sync of Search Engines on the roadmap? Or will the be included as part of the the general "Settings" sync toggle?