Dev channel update to 81.0.396.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.396.0 to the Dev Channel.  It’s another small update this week as all the excitement from our Stable launch last week winds down (see this post thanking you for all your help in getting us there:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/a-huge-thank-you-to-this-insiders-group/m-p/11114...).  For those of you on ARM devices, we also released native ARM64 builds to the Beta channel last week.  Now, all of the most noteworthy changes: 

Added features:

• Added a dialog to warn users when they’re visiting a website that uses out-of-date security settings.
  • Added a setting to enable or disable automatic profile switching (when work or school links are opened are opened in a personal profile, the browser will offer to automatically move that link into a window for the work or school profile).
  • Added support for extensions inside Application Guard windows.
  • Added a dialog to warn users when they sign into a browser profile with a different account than they previously used to sign into the same profile.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where downloading certain items in IE mode causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page sometimes doesn’t load properly.
  • Fixed a browser crash.

Changed behavior:

• Improved the download status indicator on the Task Bar to only be visible on the icon of a window the download was started from instead of being visible on the icon of every window.
  • Reduced the height of the title bar for websites installed as apps.
  • Fixed an issue where some users can’t sign into the browser or sync using a work or school account.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile button has an incorrectly colored background.
  • Fixed an issue where the context menu item to open a link in a particular profile doesn’t appear if only a single profile is currently in use.
  • Fixed an issue where the address bar and dropdown appear white when the browser is in dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile picture on the profile Settings page sometimes doesn’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where dangerous websites blocked by SmartScreen aren’t blocked consistently.
  • Fixed an issue where the options to choose which data types to import during the first run experience don’t work and all data types are subsequently imported.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking a favorite on the Favorites management page in order to navigate to that site briefly brings up the editing textbox before the navigation starts.
  • Fixed an issue where clearing browsing history while the History page is visible doesn’t update the History page until it’s refreshed.
  • Fixed an issue where the translate icon sometimes doesn’t appear on Mac when it should.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings aren’t updated in Application Guard windows when the setting is changed in a regular window.
  • Fixed an issue where right clicking on context menu items in a Collection doesn’t dismiss the context menu.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on a note in a Collection to edit the text places the cursor at the beginning of the note instead of the location where it was clicked.
  • Fixed an issue where adding items to a Collection from certain websites results in some information being missing from the entry.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs that are supposed to be blocked from printing via management policy sometimes aren’t.
  • Removed support for the NewTabPageCompanyLogo management policy since it isn’t functional.

Known issues:

• Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.  Note that some of these fixes don’t yet exist in the Stable channel, and the issue only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

A special thanks to all our Insiders who checked out our Stable channel over this past week.  We hope you continue being Insiders so we can keep seeing you here! 

52 Replies

@josh_bodner  Thanks for the update. Loving the new Edge.

I'm now using the official release version as my main browser and I'm happy it doesn't use the intrusive yellow icons. If you guys decide to bring them from the dev to the release version, PLEASE include an option for us to choose between the modern and yellow icons. PLEASE don't force these yellow icons on all of us.

Also, why is what appears to be a Microsoft staff in this post marking someone's personal opinion on the yellow icons as a "best answer". Looks very biased and improper to me.

If I want to edit the 2nd tile creating a new one will be set to the last right.

@little_terry ah, got it, the position is important to you.  Makes sense, I'm a visual learner and like things to be consistently placed too :smile:  It sounds like being able to re-order the top sites tiles would also solve this problem, right?  

When you write "sign into it with", does that mean signed in to the browser, so I can synchronize my favorites and so on or is it enough to sign in on a Office 365 sign in page?

@ahl2ndc I mean explicitly sign into the browser.  We don't log you into the browser whenever you log into a Microsoft-powered website, but one of the benefits you get when you log into the browser is single sign-on.  In other words, we use the credentials you logged into the browser with and automatically use them to log into eligible websites (which it sounds like may not be a good thing in your case if you're logging into websites with different accounts than what you'd be logging into the browser with!)  

As for which profile a link opens in, the default behavior is just to use the most recently active profile (or if you've got multiple windows open, each of them in different profiles, it's just the most recently active window).  I don't think the automatic profile switching will kick in if you're not signed into the browser with all the profiles either.  

I used a junction to link it back to default location. Everything on edge works fine like this except collections.

@lssatvik Collections is still under active development, so it's possible that they're changing the underlying file structure that they rely on, and the way you're redirecting your profile folder is breaking the assumptions they're making about where their files live.  Given that moving your user data folder isn't something we explicitly support, you'll probably need to open a support ticket so that our support agents can get some more details about your situation.  

@thekylef I'm not sure why that post got marked as a best answer, I'll see if our community managers @Deleted or @MissyQ  can look into it.  

@josh_bodner Oh yes, reordering would be a valid alternative solution to edit the url. Thanks for the interest!

Yeah, I have no idea either.. I log in and there it was.... "Best Response"

Dennis5mile

BTW, it is marked as "Best Response" not best answer......

Dennis5mile

@thekylef 

Also, why is what appears to be a Microsoft staff in this post marking someone's personal opinion on the yellow icons as a "best answer". Looks very biased and improper to me.

Since Microsoft Employee accounts have the ability to mark any comment as best response, they just sometimes do this, they think they like a comment, so instead of actually using the like button, they mark it as best response.

@josh_bodner 

You as the OP can easily remove the best response mark.

@thekylef 

So you are saying all the other icons in the menu don't look like what they represent just because they don't have a color? Your argument makes zero sense.

All favorites use site icons (the web sites I have added as favorites) are using colors. For me the colorless icons sticks out, when surrounded by all the other icons.

clipboard_image_1.png

An argument for making an option for the folder icons to change looks (color vs. monokrome) is that icons can be a big part of the UI for a lot of people and that the change of color makes sense in that regards (big part of the UI).

Edit: Removed a word, so my first sentence makes more sense

OK. This works. But the Extension menu item is grayed out. You can only access extensions via edge://extensions.

@josh_bodner I did not change location in between, so this doesn't make intuitive sense to me. However I just checked the NTP again and the temperature is correct again. Note that clicking on the "wrong" (really, most likely just Fahrenheit instead of Celsius) weather icon did send me to the correct weather page before. This would be a lot easier to diagnose if there was a way to force it to show the actual units though (FWIW I've never seen the unit being omitted for Celsius before, even in English -- is this a Fahrenheit thing?).

@stesch79 

@stesch79 wrote:
OK. This works. But the Extension menu item is grayed out. You can only access extensions via edge://extensions.

Can you use the quote? not sure which one you're replying to