Dev channel update to 81.0.396.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.396.0 to the Dev Channel.  It’s another small update this week as all the excitement from our Stable launch last week winds down (see this post thanking you for all your help in getting us there:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/a-huge-thank-you-to-this-insiders-group/m-p/11114...).  For those of you on ARM devices, we also released native ARM64 builds to the Beta channel last week.  Now, all of the most noteworthy changes: 

Added features:

• Added a dialog to warn users when they’re visiting a website that uses out-of-date security settings.
  • Added a setting to enable or disable automatic profile switching (when work or school links are opened are opened in a personal profile, the browser will offer to automatically move that link into a window for the work or school profile).
  • Added support for extensions inside Application Guard windows.
  • Added a dialog to warn users when they sign into a browser profile with a different account than they previously used to sign into the same profile.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where downloading certain items in IE mode causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page sometimes doesn’t load properly.
  • Fixed a browser crash.

Changed behavior:

• Improved the download status indicator on the Task Bar to only be visible on the icon of a window the download was started from instead of being visible on the icon of every window.
  • Reduced the height of the title bar for websites installed as apps.
  • Fixed an issue where some users can’t sign into the browser or sync using a work or school account.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile button has an incorrectly colored background.
  • Fixed an issue where the context menu item to open a link in a particular profile doesn’t appear if only a single profile is currently in use.
  • Fixed an issue where the address bar and dropdown appear white when the browser is in dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile picture on the profile Settings page sometimes doesn’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where dangerous websites blocked by SmartScreen aren’t blocked consistently.
  • Fixed an issue where the options to choose which data types to import during the first run experience don’t work and all data types are subsequently imported.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking a favorite on the Favorites management page in order to navigate to that site briefly brings up the editing textbox before the navigation starts.
  • Fixed an issue where clearing browsing history while the History page is visible doesn’t update the History page until it’s refreshed.
  • Fixed an issue where the translate icon sometimes doesn’t appear on Mac when it should.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings aren’t updated in Application Guard windows when the setting is changed in a regular window.
  • Fixed an issue where right clicking on context menu items in a Collection doesn’t dismiss the context menu.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on a note in a Collection to edit the text places the cursor at the beginning of the note instead of the location where it was clicked.
  • Fixed an issue where adding items to a Collection from certain websites results in some information being missing from the entry.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs that are supposed to be blocked from printing via management policy sometimes aren’t.
  • Removed support for the NewTabPageCompanyLogo management policy since it isn’t functional.

Known issues:

• Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.  Note that some of these fixes don’t yet exist in the Stable channel, and the issue only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

A special thanks to all our Insiders who checked out our Stable channel over this past week.  We hope you continue being Insiders so we can keep seeing you here! 

52 Replies

@stesch79 

@stesch79 wrote:
"Added support for extensions inside Application Guard windows."

How does this work?

You basically launch Application Guard window and then go to Chrome extension store or Microsoft Addon store and then install extension normally.

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

Fixed an issue where the profile button has an incorrectly colored background.

This is technically still an issue, I have two AAD/O365 connected profiles in Edge, previous to this update both profiles would display a "sign in" button which did nothing.  Now that no longer happens, both profiles are signed in, but for both I get the message "Sync isn’t available for this account." with no indication as to why.  This does seem to be a bug because on another computer where Edge Dev is installed and uses one of the AAD/O365 connected profiles syncing appears to work.

Thanks,

-Aaron

@Tom_Fox Last I checked Chrome does not give the ability to theme bookmarks, so I don't get the consternation about this. Many more pressing things like sync!

I wish I could go back several versions! This release is the worst yet. Countless blackouts and crashes and extremely laggy. How is it possible to go backwards?
When I first started using this new Edge version, it felt lightweight and nippy. It's what set it apart from other Chromium based browsers. Now, it feels like it's carry three woolly mammoths on it's back - really lethargic.
It's gotten to the point where it's not feeling unique any more. If the stable releases are anything like this, I shall be going back to something else. Very disappointing.

I still have a problem with app which using external certificate.

@Mateusz_Romanowski this sounds like something our support agents may be able to help with.  Try opening up a support ticket on https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.  

@ahl2ndc your profile type is determined by what kind of email you used to sign into it with.  Signing in with a personal Microsoft account (outlook.com, hotmail.com, etc.) creates a personal account, and signing in with an account your workplace or school created and controls (for example, I work at Microsoft, so my microsoft.com email) creates a work or school account.  

When you're actively using your work account, you should have an option at edge://settings/profiles/multiProfileSettings to enable the feature, although @fpintos we've noticed that some people don't have a link to that page on edge://settings/profiles.  Then, if you click on a link in a different application (for example, Outlook) that navigates to a location in your work's domain, protected by its login, etc., and the most recently used Edge window was for your personal account, it will trigger the automatic switching logic.  

Changing the "language & content" has no effect.

@AlanPlum we recently found one possible cause of the temperature being wrong, and it's that the location isn't being set properly.  Can you check to see if your location is correct?  

@PottyZA it was favorites sync that we re-enabled a few weeks ago, not history.  History shouldn't be rolled out to anybody yet.  

@AaronMcHale can you sign out of your account?  If so, we've seen instances where signing out and then signing back in fixes sync for some people.  

is that hard to add an Edit option to edit the url of the quick link in the NTP instead of Rename only? 

@little_terry what would be the difference between editing the URL and just creating a new tile?  

@josh_bodnerWhy red color is used when cookies are blocked?

clipboard_image_0.png

I have blocked third party cookies, which I think is norm, so almost every site I visit, I see more or less this icon. I am fine with icon, but why red color is added recently, it should be monochrome. It is not dangerous to block cookies, mere monochrome icon is enough as in last 2019 dev build.

I believe Browser UI should be non intrusive and simple.

Thanks for the info, I must've been mistaken. Keep up the good work!
Have you tried? When I try it only says "This site is trying to open TWINUI". And nothing happens after clicking to "Open".

Thank you Josh - and excuse my bad attitude.

When you write "sign into it with", does that mean signed in to the browser, so I can synchronize my favorites and so on or is it enough to sign in on a Office 365 sign in page? I have multiple profiles that are almost all signed into different Office 365 tenants. But only one profile where I'm signed into the browser itself. Just to clarify.

How does the browser determine if a link is protected by my office 365 (work) login? I have seen multiple times, that a link is opened in a not-logged-into-browser profile, where I would expect it to open in my main profile (where I have logged into the browser with my work Office 365 user).

Here are some examples:
Yammer
Azure DevOps
xxx.sharepoint.com (our Office 365 SharePoint tenant)

Can the Outlook 365 link protection be messing with the logic of which profile to open?

@stesch79

@stesch79 wrote:
Have you tried? When I try it only says "This site is trying to open TWINUI". And nothing happens after clicking to "Open".

yes i tried installing extensions from Chrome extension store in Edge canary and Dev in Application Guard window.

@josh_bodner the position for instance. If I want to edit the 2nd tile creating a new one will be set to the last right.

Collections Export to Word still results in an error.

And there is a new issue, where I cannot add a page as an app (page is not added or does not show up).

EDIT: The pop-up to Install the site as app shows up, when i click on any url or search anything in search bar.

@josh_bodner 

I wish to report an issue with collections

I have stored my edge profile somewhere else.I used a junction to link it back to default location. Everything on edge works fine like this except collections. The collections tab doesn't respond in this configuration all no collection is visible. I can't create a new collection or do anything . Everything becomes normal once I keep the profile folder back and remove the junction. Please resolve this issue as only this feature doesn't work.

Santosh

@Dennis5mile 

@Dennis5mile wrote:
They are fixed... they are exactly what they should be... an Icon that represents a folder that LOOKS like a folder and not an outline drawn on a piece of paper.....

Dennis5mile

So you are saying all the other icons in the menu don't look like what they represent just because they don't have a color? Your argument makes zero sense.

The outlined icons also LOOK perfectly like folder CAN be easily identified as a folder by anyone. Saying it doesn't look like a folder sounds more like an excuse to impose your personal preference on everyone else. Looking like a folder is not the problem here.

The real issue with the yellow icons, whether your like them or not, is they are extremely intrusive and distracting. Modern UI should be less polluted, get out of the way and let the content be the focus. In this case the favorite icons are stealing all the attention specially in dark mode. Not to mention they are completely inconsistent with the rest of the browser which uses a much cleaner, modern and refined design.

To me, they look ugly, outdated and very distracting to a point it becomes unconformable to me every time I open a new tab. But I know some people still like them and I respect that.

The best option is allowing us to toggle between the new modern design consistent with the rest browser or the legacy yellow icons for those who prefer them. That way, everyone can use the one they like the most which gives the best experience for THEM!

Your opinion is not the only one that matters or the "right" one for everyone. Yellow icons might be "exactly" what they should be for YOU, but they are NOT for ME and a lot of other people.

clipboard_image_0.png

I cannot add a page as an app (page is not added or does not show up).

@ph_007 looks like other people (including myself) are seeing the same thing.  I'll make sure we have a bug filed for it!