Dev channel update to 81.0.396.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.396.0 to the Dev Channel.  It’s another small update this week as all the excitement from our Stable launch last week winds down (see this post thanking you for all your help in getting us there:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/a-huge-thank-you-to-this-insiders-group/m-p/11114...).  For those of you on ARM devices, we also released native ARM64 builds to the Beta channel last week.  Now, all of the most noteworthy changes: 

Added features:

• Added a dialog to warn users when they’re visiting a website that uses out-of-date security settings.
  • Added a setting to enable or disable automatic profile switching (when work or school links are opened are opened in a personal profile, the browser will offer to automatically move that link into a window for the work or school profile).
  • Added support for extensions inside Application Guard windows.
  • Added a dialog to warn users when they sign into a browser profile with a different account than they previously used to sign into the same profile.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where navigating to certain websites sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where downloading certain items in IE mode causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page sometimes doesn’t load properly.
  • Fixed a browser crash.

Changed behavior:

• Improved the download status indicator on the Task Bar to only be visible on the icon of a window the download was started from instead of being visible on the icon of every window.
  • Reduced the height of the title bar for websites installed as apps.
  • Fixed an issue where some users can’t sign into the browser or sync using a work or school account.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile button has an incorrectly colored background.
  • Fixed an issue where the context menu item to open a link in a particular profile doesn’t appear if only a single profile is currently in use.
  • Fixed an issue where the address bar and dropdown appear white when the browser is in dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile picture on the profile Settings page sometimes doesn’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where dangerous websites blocked by SmartScreen aren’t blocked consistently.
  • Fixed an issue where the options to choose which data types to import during the first run experience don’t work and all data types are subsequently imported.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking a favorite on the Favorites management page in order to navigate to that site briefly brings up the editing textbox before the navigation starts.
  • Fixed an issue where clearing browsing history while the History page is visible doesn’t update the History page until it’s refreshed.
  • Fixed an issue where the translate icon sometimes doesn’t appear on Mac when it should.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings aren’t updated in Application Guard windows when the setting is changed in a regular window.
  • Fixed an issue where right clicking on context menu items in a Collection doesn’t dismiss the context menu.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on a note in a Collection to edit the text places the cursor at the beginning of the note instead of the location where it was clicked.
  • Fixed an issue where adding items to a Collection from certain websites results in some information being missing from the entry.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs that are supposed to be blocked from printing via management policy sometimes aren’t.
  • Removed support for the NewTabPageCompanyLogo management policy since it isn’t functional.

Known issues:

• Users of certain security software packages will see all tabs fail to load with the error STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. The only way to prevent this behavior is to uninstall that software. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it.  Note that some of these fixes don’t yet exist in the Stable channel, and the issue only appears to affect users with certain hardware.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

A special thanks to all our Insiders who checked out our Stable channel over this past week.  We hope you continue being Insiders so we can keep seeing you here! 

52 Replies
Umm, did someone forget to turn it on? Not getting the update.....

Dennis5mile
Me neither, still latest up to date version is 81.0.389.2 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Yep, same as what I have......

Dennis5mile
Okay it just came
Version 81.0.396.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)
Yep, same for me.. Though the first time I clicked restart it crashed and would not restart, then when it did it was the previous version 389.2, but now is all good...

Dennis5mile

@josh_bodner  is that hard to add an Edit option to edit the url of the quick link in the NTP instead of Rename only? Thanks 

@josh_bodner 

I see that the option to block Mixed Content has arrived in Dev, which is welcome news for SysAdmins like me trying to keep our network secure.  I'm confused about the implementation though.

The help text says "Insecure content is blocked by default on secure sites", but when I run some tests on BadSSL.com, there seems to be no blocking occurring.  I don't see any sort of warning either.

https://mixed-script.badssl.com/  - HTTPS page loaded script successfully from HTTP

https://very.badssl.com/    - Image loaded from HTTP and form that submits to HTTP on HTTPS page

There is also an inconsistent use of the "Not Secure" address bar icon, which appears on HTTP pages.  It is normally grey and easily missed by the average user. It becomes /!\ Not Secure when you encounter a HTTPS error, which is very eye-catching.  I hope in the future that it will be standard /!\ Not Secure on all HTTP sites to remind users they are visiting unsecure sites. 

If you are not ready to make that step yet, would it at least be possible to add detection for the following major security issues, and show the /!\ Not Secure icon?

http://http-password.badssl.com/  - Password field on HTTP page

http://http-login.badssl.com/  - Login form on HTTP page

http://http-credit-card.badssl.com/  - Credit card input form on HTTP page

--EDIT--      After further testing, it seems that the icon does change for these issues, but only when you activate the element.  Can you promote this check to the initial paint, so no user interaction is required?

@josh_bodnerThank you all for your hard work!

When will the ugly yellow folders be fixed?

Screenshot (555).png

They are fixed... they are exactly what they should be... an Icon that represents a folder that LOOKS like a folder and not an outline drawn on a piece of paper.....

Dennis5mile
Let's not start this discussion again. We all agreed last time that everybody is entitled to their personal opinion, and the best option is to add the colour as an option - grey, yellow, blue, green, pink etc.

You can never please everybody, but you can always try...

@josh_bodner 

Where do we find the setting to turn on automatic profile switching?

Thanks

-Fabio

This is my question too. Without the capability of editing the url, only renaming the name does not make sense.

Hope MS Edge team will give a look onto it.

@josh_bodner

Hi,

I still have a problem with app which using external certificate.

How it's works?

1. I have Java app which using installed local trusted certificate

2. After lauching app in browser i have communicate=: "NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID"

3. After all I can login to the app, use for few minutes

4. After couple minutes app frozes and I can only refresh page to reload app

5. After reload I have communicate "NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID" again

On other browsers I don't have that issue. 

Problem is in beta/dev/canary. In stable version I didn't check this.

Also I can't tell you what is that app :) Sorry :(

BR,

Mateusz 

Was exited about the links and profile switching - but I'm confused about how it works. What is "work or school links" and how do you determine that a link is as such? How do you determine if a profile is a "personal profile" or "work or school profile"? Is it based on the type of account logged into the profile?

I'm still missing the option of "Choose the profile to open links from external programs", so I ALWAYS open links from Outlook (or other programs) in the browser profile I have chosen.

Sorry for sounding grumpy, but the whole "Default profile for links" is the single biggest annoyance of Chromium browsers and I feel like it should be a relatively easy fix - easier than the new profile options in this update and so much easier to understand for people.

The local temperature on the NTP showed up (correctly) in Celsius at some point after the previous update. This update seems to have regressed to Fahrenheit. Not that I can know for sure as it only gives the temperature in "degrees" (e.g. "27°") which could be anything. Changing the "language & content" has no effect.

It would also be nice to be able to set the language and country differently. I prefer seeing content in English but English is not an official language where I live. Windows lets me do this already so it'd be great if Edge could just use the system locale as default.

Has history syncing been enabled yet? Or is that a per-profile-basis thing? I recall there was an update weeks ago that said that history syncing was re-enabled, but I haven't been able to activate the option. It still just says something along the lines of "We'll activate it when it's ready"

Is Custom Search sync on the roadmap? I love using custom searches, but they're a pain to set up all over on every new machine. Seems like it shouldn't be any harder than synchronizing Favorites. Please?

"Added support for extensions inside Application Guard windows."

How does this work?

Not sure if it's the same team that work on the mobile version, but are there plans to add <meta name="theme-colour"...> support there? I like how this is integrated on the desktop for installed apps, but after all, this feature was first introduced on chrome for android iirc.

p.s. Thanks for the title bar size change on installed apps as well