Dev channel update to 81.0.389.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.389.2 to the Dev Channel.  It’s a smaller update this week since we’re focusing on our other channels, including our very first Stable channel update:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/01/15/upgrading-new-microsoft-edge-79-chromium/!  As part of that, we also announced a fun opportunity coming up later today to talk directly to some members of our development team.  For details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/updated-a-chance-to-talk-directly-with-microsoft-....  

Additionally, we’ve started a discussion about the future of the Fluent Design Language and how it’s utilized in Edge:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-updating-our-interface-with-fluent-tou....  As for the most noteworthy features and fixes this week: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to hide the Collections button from the address bar.
  • Added a “coming soon” message to all users who still have favorites sync disabled.
  • Added a dialog to inform users when another program on the device installs an extension in Edge.
  • Enabled integration of the Windows built-in spellchecker.
  • Added a management policy to prevent the first run experience from running.

Improved reliability: 

• Re-enabled favorites sync for some users who hadn’t gotten it re-enabled last week.
  • Fixed an issue where sorting favorites and then hitting undo sometimes causes the favorites to be deleted.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the send feedback button sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a crash when using accessibility software like screen readers.
  • Fixed an issue where closing an IE mode tab sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to customize sync settings during the First Run Experience crashes the tab.
  • Fixed an issue where watching DRM-protected video like on Netflix doesn’t play at the highest possible quality on certain devices with Nvidia graphics.

Changed behavior: 

• Improved Read Aloud performance.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel results in the column headers being messed up.
  • Fixed an issue where cancelling an edit on a Collections item doesn’t undo the changes to it.
  • Fixed an issue where sites that are deleted from the Top Sites tiles on the New Tab Page sometimes return.
  • Fixed an issue where the Share UI doesn’t appear when the Share button is clicked.
  • Fixed an issue where the link in Settings to manage a browser profile’s associated account sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where linked clicked from other applications sometimes don’t open if Edge is already running and was launched with administrator privileges.
  • Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention sometimes causes content blocked notifications to the right of the address bar (cookies, for example) not to appear properly.
  • Fixed an issue where the ink customization options when annotating feedback screenshots don’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the Grammar Tools color picker isn’t visible.
  • Fixed an issue where the Cisco Webex extension doesn’t work properly.
  • Fixed an issue where manually navigating to an extension’s page by typing their address into the address bar doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where editing settings from within an Application Guard window that causes the window to have to close and re-open leads to the window closing, but never re-opening.

Known issues: 

• After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it. 
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

For those using the Beta channel, we're also releasing the first update to major version 80 to it this week.  Thank you for all your feedback and bug finds that got us there! 

51 Replies
Can you guys PLEASE do something about the behavior after closing the last tab?

Let's say I finish my work and quickly close 15 tabs with ctrl + W. I have to be careful not to close the last tab. If I accidentally close the browser, I then have to login to 1Password again which is super annoying. I tried to pin a tab and guess what, I can close it with ctrl + W as well, the browser will close and the pinned tab is gone after relaunching the Edge. That is completely unacceptable behavior for a modern browser.

1. Give us the option to NOT close the Edge with last tab, so if I press ctrl + W, the page in that tab will close and the tab is now showing the speed dial (new tab page). That is how Opera works and it's great.

2. If a tab is pinned, DO NOT close the browser. Ctrl + W should never close a pinned tab. This would be a nice "workaround".

Like I said, this behavior is unacceptable to me and it is basically the only reason I can't switch from Opera to Edge. Hopefully you can do something about this soon, I really like the new Edge otherwise.

@Jeffrey Thorpe it seems to be a sort of incompatibility with Forcepoint One Endpoint software. I have the same issue and in fact my organization is using it. Stopping FP services doesn't help, as it didn't help other people having the same issue. However, the problem may be related to QIP.sys driver (which is part of Forcepoint): if you manage to stop it, Edge will eventually work again. In alternative, for me running Edge with parameter "--no-sandbox" fixes it.

Cc: @josh_bodner 

Also you can find the conflicting drivers in Edge in here: edge://conflicts/

Best version ever. Really cool and stable

@samuele2 , thanks for the tip. I added the no sandbox parameter to my shortcut and it Edge Dev is working again. I do get a little warning about the unsupported command line flag but I can live with that until there is a fix for the root cause. 

@DatabaseJase Replying to myself to note that running Edge Dev with parameter "--no-sandbox" fixes this issue too. SEP is most likely the issue because on another PC without SEP this issue doesn't occur.

@josh_bodner 

@DavidMccready 

I know about that extension, that's not the point. I'm using 3-5 extensions (trying to have a few as possible) and I'm not going to use one for such a basic feature.

@josh_bodner What time does the Microsoft edge 80 update for the stable and beta version come out?

I've been waiting all day since they said it came out this week and it's always Tuesdays

The "Enabled integration of the Windows built-in spellchecker" feature, does not seem to be fully supporting Hardware Keyboard - Autocorrect misspelt words as I type feature from Windows 10? 

@Thomaszko I wonder if this is something we also don't support yet for the onscreen keyboard, or is just specific to the hardware keyboard.  Either way, could you file in-product feedback about this so we can get it in our bug database just in case it's not already?  

Spoiler

3. Why do you keep opening the old Edge after updates to new Win 10 builds, even though EdgeDev is the default browser?

3. Go to Windows settings => Apps => Default Apps and then set the Edge Dev as default browser.

@HotCakeX I think he means the fact that, after you upgrade to a new build of Windows, we auto-launch Edge Legacy.  That behavior is hard-wired and has nothing to do with the default browser.  We're working on replacing that behavior so that Edge Stable (once it's installed) will be able to auto-launch itself, but since Edge Stable isn't going to be auto-installed on peoples' machines for a while, you'll probably want to just install Edge Stable yourself if you want to stop seeing Edge Legacy.  

@HotCakeX wrote:

@ViniciusFonseca 

@ViniciusFonseca wrote:

Hello guys! Why isn't sign in supported when running Edge as administrator? What's the reasoning behind this limitation? Is there a policy to change this behavior? Thanks!!

Hi,

this is my problem too. Google chrome works and allows sign in when it's run as administrator but Edge has the problem

@HotCakeX I'm curious why you want to run Edge as administrator?  Doing so defeats a lot of the security that the sandboxes provide, so it's not a state we want people to be in.  (It also caused people whose machines were configured in a certain way to not be able to load any webpages; see https://textslashplain.com/2019/09/27/aw-snap-every-tab-crashes/.  That's why we put in the warning when you're running Edge as an administrator!)  

I'm using 3-5 extensions (trying to have a few as possible) and I'm not going to use one for such a basic feature.

@stark I'd like to know more about why this feature that's easy to implement as an extension shouldn't be.  Is it just a principled thing, like that the browser should do as much as it can natively? (Which also has counter-arguments that a browser should be as simple as possible.)  Or is it because of fears of performance penalties?  Personally, I find it very helpful that we now have access to the Chrome extension store since there are lots of features that can be implemented as extensions now instead of having to wait for us to get around to building them in natively.  

What time does the Microsoft edge 80 update for the stable and beta version come out?

@ZeroUserr The update to bring Beta up to version 80 happened last week, so if your Beta isn't at 80 yet, something's probably wrong.  It and Stable will never be at the same version, which means that 80 will come to Stable once 81 hits Beta (although they were both technically at 79 together before we officially released Stable since we were just publishing the same bits to Beta and Stable back then in order to test our Stable publishing pipeline).  

Replying to myself to note that running Edge Dev with parameter "--no-sandbox" fixes this issue too. SEP is most likely the issue because on another PC without SEP this issue doesn't occur.

@DatabaseJase just remember to remove that flag once we get it fixed!  No update on the fix yet, but I've asked the devs if there's anything we should expect for next week.  

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX wrote:

@ViniciusFonseca 

@ViniciusFonseca wrote:

Hello guys! Why isn't sign in supported when running Edge as administrator? What's the reasoning behind this limitation? Is there a policy to change this behavior? Thanks!!

Hi,

this is my problem too. Google chrome works and allows sign in when it's run as administrator but Edge has the problem

@HotCakeX I'm curious why you want to run Edge as administrator?  Doing so defeats a lot of the security that the sandboxes provide, so it's not a state we want people to be in.  (It also caused people whose machines were configured in a certain way to not be able to load any webpages; see https://textslashplain.com/2019/09/27/aw-snap-every-tab-crashes/.  That's why we put in the warning when you're running Edge as an administrator!)  

Hi thanks for the reply,

well the thing is I don't want to deliberately run Edge as admin, sometimes the situation enforces it.

like when I use Edge on Windows server or in Windows Sandbox.

those are not rare situations at all. in those cases we can't use sign in.

I understand it's a security risk but at least for users that know what they are doing, there needs to be a way to go around it..

the de-elevate on launch flag doesn't help

ismayil.59@hotmail.com
You are risking getting spam emails putting your email in there in plain text

well the thing is I don't want to deliberately run Edge as admin, sometimes the situation enforces it.

like when I use Edge on Windows server or in Windows Sandbox.

@HotCakeX ah, that makes sense, those local admin accounts launch everything as an admin.  I'll see if we've got any plans around getting that auto-de-elevate to work in those contexts.