Dev channel update to 81.0.389.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello Insiders, today we’re releasing build 81.0.389.2 to the Dev Channel.  It’s a smaller update this week since we’re focusing on our other channels, including our very first Stable channel update:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2020/01/15/upgrading-new-microsoft-edge-79-chromium/!  As part of that, we also announced a fun opportunity coming up later today to talk directly to some members of our development team.  For details, see https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/updated-a-chance-to-talk-directly-with-microsoft-....  

Additionally, we’ve started a discussion about the future of the Fluent Design Language and how it’s utilized in Edge:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-updating-our-interface-with-fluent-tou....  As for the most noteworthy features and fixes this week: 

Added features: 

• Added the ability to hide the Collections button from the address bar.
  • Added a “coming soon” message to all users who still have favorites sync disabled.
  • Added a dialog to inform users when another program on the device installs an extension in Edge.
  • Enabled integration of the Windows built-in spellchecker.
  • Added a management policy to prevent the first run experience from running.

Improved reliability: 

• Re-enabled favorites sync for some users who hadn’t gotten it re-enabled last week.
  • Fixed an issue where sorting favorites and then hitting undo sometimes causes the favorites to be deleted.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the send feedback button sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a crash when using accessibility software like screen readers.
  • Fixed an issue where closing an IE mode tab sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to customize sync settings during the First Run Experience crashes the tab.
  • Fixed an issue where watching DRM-protected video like on Netflix doesn’t play at the highest possible quality on certain devices with Nvidia graphics.

Changed behavior: 

• Improved Read Aloud performance.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel results in the column headers being messed up.
  • Fixed an issue where cancelling an edit on a Collections item doesn’t undo the changes to it.
  • Fixed an issue where sites that are deleted from the Top Sites tiles on the New Tab Page sometimes return.
  • Fixed an issue where the Share UI doesn’t appear when the Share button is clicked.
  • Fixed an issue where the link in Settings to manage a browser profile’s associated account sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where linked clicked from other applications sometimes don’t open if Edge is already running and was launched with administrator privileges.
  • Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention sometimes causes content blocked notifications to the right of the address bar (cookies, for example) not to appear properly.
  • Fixed an issue where the ink customization options when annotating feedback screenshots don’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the Grammar Tools color picker isn’t visible.
  • Fixed an issue where the Cisco Webex extension doesn’t work properly.
  • Fixed an issue where manually navigating to an extension’s page by typing their address into the address bar doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where editing settings from within an Application Guard window that causes the window to have to close and re-open leads to the window closing, but never re-opening.

Known issues: 

• After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it. 
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

For those using the Beta channel, we're also releasing the first update to major version 80 to it this week.  Thank you for all your feedback and bug finds that got us there! 

51 Replies
Nice, has the problem with forcepoint causing Access Violation error been solved?

@josh_bodner This update has a bug in the dark theme that caused the omnibox - along with the suggestion box, to be locked at light theme, regardless of the preferences. I really hope this will be fixed in the next Dev build.

@josh_bodner This and the previous dev channel builds have been broken for me.  When opening Edge the application area is all white with no UI visible.  After a while the UI loads and the infamous "This page is having a problem" appears (no access to about, settings, or feedback).

I expect this is all related to Symantec Endpoint Protection, which appears to have on-going issues with the latest Chrome 81 builds, since this issue doesn't happen on machines I test that do not have SEP installed.

Workaround is to use the Beta channel which is still based on Chrome 79.

Stable is also using Chromium 79 :)
microsoft.com/edge

@josh_bodner The "Enabled integration of the Windows built-in spellchecker" feature, does not seem to be fully supporting Hardware Keyboard - Autocorrect misspelt words as I type feature from Windows 10? Is this something you will be enabling in the future?

Also, do we know why overlay-scrollbars flag has been removed? I have been using it on chrome for years and was happy to know that edge was supporting them in insider; the native Windows 10 thick scrollbars are just too large and not very modern looking, occupying significant amount of space when not needed. Would be great if Edge scrollbars would be able to use XAML scrollbars like the ones used by the UWP framework.

I now have to use extension called Minimal Scrollbar to achieve similar result, although not supported on all website, it makes the scrollbars so much more pleasant.

Still missing feature to directly "Open" a file without downloading it first (all MS browsers have this feature)

@Yoneff 

@Yoneff wrote:
Still missing feature to directly "Open" a file without downloading it first (all MS browsers have this feature)

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Provide-run-open-save-save-as-options-when-downlo...

Maybe they mean this flag is turned on by default

Use Windows Spellchecking
Use Windows spellchecking dictionaries when available to find spelling mistakes and provide suggestions. – Windows
#win-use-native-spellchecker

@josh_bodner 

1. Will EdgeDev continue to be separate from the now-released new Edge?

2. How do we remove the old Edge from our computers? Uninstall is grayed out.

3. Why do you keep opening the old Edge after updates to new Win 10 builds, even though EdgeDev is the default browser?

@JimRome 

Spoiler

@JimRome wrote:

1. Will EdgeDev continue to be separate from the now-released new Edge?

2. How do we remove the old Edge from our computers? Uninstall is grayed out.

3. Why do you keep opening the old Edge after updates to new Win 10 builds, even though EdgeDev is the default browser?

1. Yes, definitely, 100%. just like Google uses their Beta/Dev/Canary channels to continue developing Google chrome further, Microsoft uses Beta/Dev/Canary channels to develop and improve Microsoft Edge.

new features always appear in Canary, then on Dev, then on Beta, and finally on Stable channel.

so yes they will be separate which also means you can have and install them all at the same time on the same computer without any problem.

2. You don't. it's a built in preinstalled UWP app and there is no option in the Windows settings nor in control panel to remove/uninstall it.

when you install stable version of the new Microsoft Edge, it will automatically replace the Legacy Edge, although you can make a minor adjustment to the Group Policy to allow them to run side by side.

3. Go to Windows settings => Apps => Default Apps and then set the Edge Dev as default browser.

however, if you install Edge stable, it will replace Legacy Edge and no link will be opened in the Legacy Edge anymore.

@josh_bodner 
Still having a problem when trying to buy free monthly Xbox Gold Live Gold games for Xbox 360.

The transaction starts but then fails to complete, and shows only the spinning circle icon forever. This problem is repeatable on both my PCs and only when using Edge Dev, while other browsers (Firefox, Edge) work fine.

I have reported this issue before but still no joy. I'm surprised this has not been fixed yet, considering that it is a transaction failure that affects purchases on an official Microsoft website. 

Hi,
could you try a few things please?
1. temporary disable your extensions: edge://extensions/
2. temporary disable Tracking prevention: edge://settings/privacy
3. clear saved browser data (cookies, site permissions etc): edge://settings/clearBrowserData

do them and then try again your transaction.
if they fix your problem then great, if they don't, you won't lose anything :)

Hello guys! Why isn't sign in supported when running Edge as administrator? What's the reasoning behind this limitation? Is there a policy to change this behavior? Thanks!!

@ViniciusFonseca 

@ViniciusFonseca wrote:

Hello guys! Why isn't sign in supported when running Edge as administrator? What's the reasoning behind this limitation? Is there a policy to change this behavior? Thanks!!

Hi,

this is my problem too. Google chrome works and allows sign in when it's run as administrator but Edge has the problem

Any update on smooth scrolling for edge. @josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner 

Having issue with opening web pages. Every time I open a web page I it just clocks for a minute then I get the "This page is having a problem" with an error code STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION. I noticed this issue being reported in the previous release discussion thread but was hoping it was going to be fixed in this thread.

Did a little more testing and found that any site I have that tries to open in IE11 will actually open in Edge Dev. I also looked at my event logs and found some errors. They all appear to be similar, so I proved the information below. I hope you find this information helpful.

Event Viewer Log:

Faulting application name: msedge.exe, version: 81.0.389.2, time stamp: 0x5e1cf243
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000201b02
Faulting process id: 0x360a4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d5ce31cb53ce32
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report Id: 640f9920-822b-4ee8-8b70-afa3d3602947
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

cc: @Steven Sanders 

Are you using Forcepoint/Websense in the organization?
Thanks for the quick reply. I know we did at one time and I used to see "report spam to spam@forcepoint" in our external emails but I don't see that any more. I will need ask out IT Security to see if it is currently being used unless there is any way for me to tell.

I take it that this is a known issue with Forcepoint/Websense that started with 831. If so, is it going to be resolved in the next release?
I'm not really sure, that's something josh_bodner would need to answer :)