Dev channel update to 81.0.381.0 is live

Microsoft

Welcome to the new year!  Today we’re releasing build 81.0.381.0 to the Dev Channel, which as you can see is the first new build from major version 81.  We haven’t been completely asleep during the holidays though; we’ve been slowing turning favorites sync back on for most Canary and Dev users, with the last of them coming back online a couple of days ago.  As sync is re-enabled, some machines may experience duplication-like behavior as the machines get back into a clean state, but that behavior shouldn’t persist, and any changes you make to your favorites should now sync properly (but please let us know if that’s not the case!) 

We also have a couple of informational updates.  First, we’ve proposed our security baseline configuration for when organizations install the Stable channel of Edge:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/18/security-baseline-draft-edge-79/.  There’s an accompanying discussion over on the Security Baselines forum.  Second, we started a discussion around the value proposition of Reading List and how users would like to see us evolve it moving forward:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/reading-list-discussion/m-p/1070553.  As for the most noteworthy product changes: 

Added features:

• Added a feature to suggest URLs to visit that are similar to typed URLs that result in a failed navigation due to the fact that no webpage at the typed URL exists.
  • Added a keyboard shortcut for starting Read Aloud (ctrl + shift + U).
  • Added the ability to paste multiple items into a Collection at the same time.
  • Added a dialog to tell users when a new data type is available to sync.
  • Added support for Guided Switch to suggest going back to a personal profile when visiting links to certain non-work or school resources in a work or school profile.
  • Added support for the Chromium management policy to disable web payment APIs in webpages.
  • Added a management policy for disabling Microsoft Search for Business.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed a crash when syncing favorites.
  • Fixed an issue where favorites that are synced between multiple machines sometimes get deleted from one machine when they’re edited on another.
  • Fixed a crash when syncing Collections.
  • Fixed a crash when sync is enabled.
  • Fixed a crash when syncing with Edge mobile.
  • Fixed a crash when clearing browsing data.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections don’t sync properly.
  • Fixed a crash when importing certain data from other browsers.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge fails to install due to a crash in the installer.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling Edge and re-installing the same channel with a lower version number causes Edge to no longer launch.
  • Fixed an issue where enabling Tracking Prevention prevents some pages from ever loading, regardless of the level Tracking Prevention is set at.
  • Fixed an issue where certain videos don’t load when Tracking Prevention is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention prevented users from logging into certain websites.
  • Fixed an issue where navigation in new tabs sometimes fails, either showing an error that the connection is closed or crashing the tab, but subsequent navigations are sometimes okay. 
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes a crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge is no longer able to launch after uninstalling and reinstalling it.
  • Fixed a crash for users who have certain anti-virus programs installed.
  • Fixed an issue where Amazon Music fails to play.
  • Fixed an issue where sharing a local file (for example, a PDF that’s been downloaded onto the machine) fails.
  • Fixed a crash during shutdown.
  • Fixed an issue where the policy to enable/disable printing headers and footers doesn’t work.
  • Improved the reliability of installation.

Changed behavior:

• Fixed an issue where downloading files in IE mode tabs sometimes prevents the browser from being closed even after the downloads are completed.
  • Fixed an issue where the user can’t remove pages from the list of pages to open when the browser first starts.
  • Fixed an issue where removing a search provider in Settings sometimes results in the inability to add that same search provider again.
  • Fixed an issue where the second page of the print preview dialog doesn’t render properly.
  • Fixed an issue where unselecting categories to be synced during the First Run Experience sometimes results in those data types still being synced.
  • Fixed an issue where the Office New Tab Page is broken.
  • Fixed an issue where creating a new Collection sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where some images can’t be dragged and dropped into a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where using Collections sometimes causes error reporting dialogs to appear.
  • Fixed an issue where certain suggested sites in the Pinning Wizard don’t get pinned to the taskbar.
  • Fixed an issue where the toggle to sync open tabs isn’t functional.
  • Fixed an issue where login details appear as autocomplete candidates for text fields that aren’t used for logging in.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser sometimes fails to properly set the profile picture.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where websites installed as apps don’t open and instead show an error if Edge isn’t already running.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where the update page spins forever or eventually shows an error after a successful update.
  • Improved how much content is blocked by SmartScreen’s dangerous content blocker.
  • Fixed an issue where highlighting text in the address bar then clicking on webpages sometimes causes black-on-dark text when the browser is in Dark Theme.
  • Fixed some graphical flickering when switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs.
  • Fixed a white flash when entering Reading View.
  • Improved the PDF reader’s background area color in Dark Theme.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes don’t use the proper theme.
  • Improved performance when opening Application Guard windows for the first time.
  • Changed the name of the window that appears when you hover over a running instance of Edge on the Task Bar to only be the name of the active tab in that window instead of also containing the name of the profile and browser.
  • Changed the behavior of “deprecated” management policies to still apply properly, which differs from Chrome’s definition of “not supported” policies. Both “not supported” in Chrome and “obsolete” in Edge are policies which are no longer supported and just show an error instead of being applied. 

Known issues:

• After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift + esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it. 
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.

We’re looking forward to the release of the Stable channel soon, and thank you for all the help you’ve given us in getting to that point! 

205 Replies

@Deleted @Sansaido 

Sure send me a PM with which Username you would like.

It has to be between 5 - 20 characters long, start with letters and have no symbols except for underscore (_) or hyphen (-).

Speak soon. 

@ikjadoon 

This is unbelievable lol

I just tested Dev channel on a brand new Windows 10 installation (Windows Sandbox)

Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

here is the result:

https://streamable.com/afsij

@ikjadoon 

Pinned icons changing from specific to Edge when pinned to taskbar affects sites converted to apps.  It does not apply to sites Pinned to taskbar via More tools & NOT converted to apps.  I have just tested ALL 3 current Channels (again) and can confirm the bug, the behavior IS, still, happening in all 3. You are correct.

Cheers,
Drew

Look at my videos above.
p.s no conversion happens. Edge can't convert sites into apps.

@HotCakeX 

A bug does not need to hit 100% of the users to be a bug. I appreciate the follow-up troubleshooting here.

1. It was written that "it's not happening in Canary" when it can be reproduced on Canary. It's more precise (and helpful) to say, "Not happening on my Canary build with these steps."

2. It was claimed that dev users they just "need to wait", as the bug was "fixed" in Canary. That's not accurate.

3. True: as I wrote in that same first post, the taskbar icons can be cached.

4. ...again, if it's been cached, then the bug doesn't reproduce.

5. ...again, it could be cached or it could be Twitter's PWA (Twitter logged out doesn't present as a PWA on Dev; on Canary, even the logged-out state is recognized as a PWA).

Canary 81.0.392.0 is, by far, even buggier in installing apps. Some of the time, Edge Canary 81.0.392.0 won't even create the app (i.e., the menu button does nothing), takes ~20 to 30 seconds to create the app, and/or doesn't even use the favicon correctly after installing (not even pinned and it's got the wrong icon).

This bug is best reproduced on sites you've never tried to install as an app before, non-PWAs, pinning immediately after creation as an "app", and: those might not be all the conditions, but they are some. Even I can make the Google.com favicon cache on my Dev build (81.0.381.0), if I either let the window stay open for a long enough time before attempting to pin or keep uninstalling/reinstalling the site:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

This bug does have corner cases where it works and where it doesn't work. But, the bug exists (on all 3x systems I own on Dev 81.0.381 + 2x systems on Canary 81.0.392.0 + 1x systems on Canary 81.0.389.0). The Canary builds are only on two of the systems and I only could test one with yesterday's Canary build, as the other had already updated.

I also created new profiles on each and the bug remains. Because of the unusual retention of whatever icon Edge wants (the correct favicon or the wrong default), as I stated in my initial post, it looks like a caching problem.

//

Again, yes: this is not a bug with "Pin site to taskbar", which simply creates a browser shortcut. "Installing" a site as an app removes the browser UI ("chrome") & forces it to always launch in a new window. 

We have always known, as well, it has oft been mentioned about not simultaneous; It is nothing new or weird, features or bugs not hitting all Users or devices nor necessarily at once. No reason this would be any different. It's almost a norm.

It keeps being repeated: The behavior, only what's converted to apps and manifesting itself in all 3 Channels. No real need for repeating these 'knowns'. Plus, we can see it happen. Can't argue reality.

I'm sure they will have it rectified, soon.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

@ikjadoon 

Spoiler

@ikjadoon wrote:

@HotCakeX 

A bug does not need to hit 100% of the users to be a bug. I appreciate the follow-up troubleshooting here.

1. It was written that "it's not happening in Canary" when it can be reproduced on Canary. It's more precise (and helpful) to say, "Not happening on my Canary build with these steps."

2. It was claimed that dev users they just "need to wait", as the bug was "fixed" in Canary. That's not accurate.

3. True: as I wrote in that same first post, the taskbar icons can be cached.

4. ...again, if it's been cached, then the bug doesn't reproduce.

5. ...again, it could be cached or it could be Twitter's PWA (Twitter logged out doesn't present as a PWA on Dev; on Canary, even the logged-out state is recognized as a PWA).

Canary 81.0.392.0 is, by far, even buggier in installing apps. Some of the time, Edge Canary 81.0.392.0 won't even create the app (i.e., the menu button does nothing), takes ~20 to 30 seconds to create the app, and/or doesn't even use the favicon correctly after installing (not even pinned and it's got the wrong icon).

This bug is best reproduced on sites you've never tried to install as an app before, non-PWAs, pinning immediately after creation as an "app", and: those might not be all the conditions, but they are some. Even I can make the Google.com favicon cache on my Dev build (81.0.381.0), if I either let the window stay open for a long enough time before attempting to pin or keep uninstalling/reinstalling the site:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (3).gif

This bug does have corner cases where it works and where it doesn't work. But, the bug exists (on all 3x systems I own on Dev 81.0.381 + 2x systems on Canary 81.0.392.0 + 1x systems on Canary 81.0.389.0). The Canary builds are only on two of the systems and I only could test one with yesterday's Canary build, as the other had already updated.

I also created new profiles on each and the bug remains. Because of the unusual retention of whatever icon Edge wants (the correct favicon or the wrong default), as I stated in my initial post, it looks like a caching problem.

//

Again, yes: this is not a bug with "Pin site to taskbar", which simply creates a browser shortcut. "Installing" a site as an app removes the browser UI ("chrome") & forces it to always launch in a new window. 

The bug is best reproduced on a fresh Windows 10 installation and that's exactly what i did by doing the test on Edge dev and it wasn't happening as you could see.

on a fresh Windows 10 installation, where no user modification has applied, it doesn't matter whether 100% users experience it or not, it won't be relevant anymore, because we eliminate the unique user configurations factor entirely.

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:
We have always known, as well, it has oft been mentioned about not simultaneous; It is nothing new or weird, features or bugs not hitting all Users or devices nor necessarily at once. No reason this would be any different. It's almost a norm.

It keeps being repeated: The behavior, only what's converted to apps and manifesting itself in all 3 Channels. No real need for repeating these 'knowns'. Plus, we can see it happen. Can't argue reality.

I'm sure they will have it rectified, soon.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

on a fresh Windows 10 installation, without any user configurations or even sign ins, everyone has the same experience.

Why? because there is only 1 official Windows 10 installation media.

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-381-0-is-live/m-p/1106...

Sent from Android Mobile

@carlosmontanez 

I'm also having an issue with Dev and Canary.  I get access violation.  

Description
Faulting Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Edge Dev\Application\msedge.exe

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: BEX64
Application Name: msedge.exe
Application Version: 81.0.381.0
Application Timestamp: 5e0eac60
Fault Module Name: StackHash_f5c3
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 00000000
Exception Offset: PCH_FD_FROM_unknown+0x0000000000000000
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Data: 0000000000000008
OS Version: 10.0.18362.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: f5c3
Additional Information 2: f5c3901b05a3140a6dfabbc332a93f50
Additional Information 3: 9fd8
Additional Information 4: 9fd80debcb93fdb0aa26667b67200f58

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: edf7209e6fcd899069cfdb93400cd7c1 (1859946596608563137)

I can't use edge to submit the feedback because it doesn't work.

Beta works fine.

Access/use the Feedback in Beta. Tell them to which, Channels the submission applies. Will, still, end up in right place.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

You can use this form to submit your feedbacks too:
https://microsoftedgesupport.microsoft.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Sent from Android Mobile

100% sure?

Sent from Android Mobile

@josh_bodner 

Since this latest build my browser crashes almost every time I close a tab. (FYI).

@Rick Bertuzzi 

Hi Rick,

I cannot repro the behavior you mention.  Nothing I do causes crashes, not with this current Build nor past Builds.  Try uninstalling & redoing it with a new download of Dev & see if it makes any difference.  Are your other Channels ok?

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

I cannot repro the behavior you mention.  Nothing I do causes crashes, not with this current Build nor past Builds. 

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/dev-channel-update-to-81-0-381-0-is-live/m-p/1101...

Sent from Android Mobile

@Drew1903 

Thanks for the reply Drew. I'll see if I can find a way to reproduce the issue consistently and post the steps. I saw this exact issue mentioned in a previous build release notes (Fixed an issue where closing a tab sometimes causes the browser to crash).

Regards,

Rick

@Rick Bertuzzi 

No worries, Rick.  See what Josh or Missy has to say about it, too, for what reply an, actual, MS / Edge person may offer.  So often something arises that is not seen on all machines.

Cheers,
Drew

So it's one of the issues that previously existed on version 80.

Sent from Android Mobile
Is it able in all countries?. Can not update in Spain

@javicuasih 

@javicuasih wrote:
Is it able in all countries?. Can not update in Spain

Cannot update to 81.0.381.0 ?

maybe try uninstall and then reinstall it from here

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download/