Dev channel update to 80.0.361.5 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.361.5 to the Dev channel!  This is the final build for major version 80, which means it’s also our next Beta channel candidate.  This is also the final Dev channel update for the year; we don’t expect to publish anything more until January.  However, we couldn’t leave you without some holiday treats, so here are all of the feature rollouts that have been recently completed for the Canary and Dev channels. 

First, we’ve officially opened up the new Edge Extension Store for submissions!  You can read more about the process for submitting to the store in this blog post:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/16/get-started-extensions-addons-microsoft-edge-chromium

Next, for the web developers, we’ve published an example application on our GitHub page that serves as a comprehensive API demonstration of our new WebView2 control.  You can read more about how to use it in this blog post:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/11/webview2-interactive-api-sample

For our ARM enthusiasts, we’re bringing our native ARM64 builds to the Dev channel today!  These builds have been in Canary for the last few weeks, and we’ve ironed out most of the major issues during that time.  There’s still one known issue though:  certain DRM video on some websites doesn’t play properly. 

If you didn’t see it last week, we made a short post here about some of our work on the Mac touch bar:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Articles/Try-the-revamped-Touch-Bar-experience-on-Microsoft-E...

Finally, we’ve got three features to look for in upcoming builds. 

• One of them is what we’re calling the “pinning wizard”. It will occasionally pop up from your Task Bar and suggest top websites from your history to pin directly to the Task Bar as installed websites.  It can also be used at any time from … > More tools. 
  • For users of high contrast themes in Windows, Edge now supports high contrast themes as well! It will follow the theme you’ve chosen in the OS Settings and brings us back to parity with the support offered in Edge Legacy. 
  • And for users of Immersive Reader (formerly known as Reading View), we’ve greatly expanded the number of color themes you can choose from. Many of these are specially designed to reduce eye strain and increase reading comprehension. 

Before we get on with the rest of the features and additions that are worth mentioning this week, you should know that favorites sync is still disabled for the majority of users.  This includes brand new machines you install Edge on, so if you’re setting up Edge for the first time and want access to your favorites, you’ll need to manually export your favorites to a file on a different machine and import them on the new one.  We’re also working on a deduplication mechanism once favorites sync is re-enabled, which should prevent new duplicates from coming in as well as remove duplicates for users who have already had their favorites duplicated. 

Added features:

• Added support for Dolby Vision playback.
  • Enabled users of Windows Mixed Reality to view 360° videos on VR headsets.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed a crash when opening certain PDFs.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the Feedback button crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a browser crash for users of Collections.
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing passwords into password fields sometimes causes a tab crash.
  • Fixed a crash when playing the Surf game.
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites don’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails for certain videos with error D7381.

Changed behavior: 

• By request, favorites folders are now yellow.
  • Updated Adobe Flash to version 32.0.0.303.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs that fail to save for some reason end up failing silently instead of showing an error to the user.
  • Fixed an issue where the font dropdown in Settings doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the search engine can’t be edited because the Save button doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the current display language can be removed from Edge even though it shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge installations on Azure Active Directory domain-joined machines get signed into the wrong account on first run.
  • Fixed an issue where some webpages aren’t able to be translated, and instead show an error saying that the source language and target language are the same.  
  • Fixed an issue where Learn More links clicked during the First Run Experience open in tabs hidden behind the FRE instead of in a dialog above it.
  • Fixed an issue where navigation to certain websites in IE mode sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes doesn’t load the image properly and instead shows the loading spinner forever.
  • Fixed an issue where pasting items from one Collection into another doesn’t paste them in the correct order.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping an image into a Collection sometimes results in the wrong link being saved.
  • Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots sometimes don’t work properly on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut for saving a PDF doesn’t work on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where desktop notifications are broken on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes fails to automatically update on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling and reinstalling Edge sometimes results in it no longer being able to launch on Windows Insider builds.

Known issues: 

• Navigation in new tabs sometimes fails, either showing an error that the connection is closed, or crashing the tab. In some cases, subsequent navigations in the tab are okay. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected, and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift+esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it. 
  • Highlighting text in the address bar then clicking on webpages sometimes causes black-on-dark text when the browser is in Dark Theme.
  • The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

Thank you for a great 2019 and for all of your help building both this community and the new Edge.  We couldn’t have done it without you! 

177 Replies

@Havret wrote:

I thing the bug with bookmarks sync is back. I cannot remove any bookmarks because they are shortly restored. It's pretty annoying to tell the the truth. 

Yesterday I tried the bookmark syncing between 2 different Edge version, both logged in to the same personal Microsoft account on Windows 10 latest version.

Edge insider canary Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Edge stable Version 79.0.309.56 (Official build) (64-bit)

so I kept both of the browsers open, side by side. I tried deleting a bookmark/favorite in canary and after 3 seconds I could see the same bookmark was deleted from the stable version.

next thing I tried deleting a bookmark in stable version and after 3 seconds the same bookmark disappeared from the canary version.

I also tried deleting folders, it took longer to sync. my folder had around 100 bookmark entries in it.

but I noticed a strange behavior. when I deleted my folder containing 100 bookmarks in either of the Edge versions, I couldn't keep the folder drop down menu open in the other version.

by drop down menu, I am referring to the drop down menu that appears when you click on a bookmark folder on the bookmark bar in Edge browser.

the reason why I couldn't keep that drop down menu open was that, when I deleted the whole folder in one Edge browser instance, it was constantly syncing and deleting the bookmarks inside that folder, one by one, and on the other Edge instance, i could see that the bookmarks are being disappeared one by one, so that was the reason I couldn't keep the bookmark folder drop down menu open. because Edge needed to close it in order to sync the contents inside the folder. I hope this changes so it won't be necessary anymore for the drop down menu to be closed every time.

@HotCakeX 

If you have two instances of the browser open, then yes, if I remove sth it disappears from the other window too. The problem is however when I close the browser, and reopen it. Shortly after all of the bookmarks are back. :\ It's driving me crazy. 

I see Favorites is back and Syncing on Dev 80.0.361.9. Hopefully, all is now OK. Will add and remove some Fave's and check across all my PC's.
I'm using 80.0.361.9 and it is broken for sure. Few minutes ago I removed most of my favorites. Now they are all back. :\

@Havret 

I have noticed that all of my Favicons have gone AWOL. This is across 3 of my PC's :sad:

@Havret Another issue...it has brought back Favorites I deleted/removed some months back! This really not good at all. :sad:

Yep, apparently the new build introduces some regressions. :\

@Havret I have also discovered many duplications and triplications, so am going to turn off Fave's Sync and delete all and import from backup! Serious regression bugs.

@Havret 

@Havret wrote:

@HotCakeX 

If you have two instances of the browser open, then yes, if I remove sth it disperses from the other window too. The problem is however when I close the browser, and reopen it. Shortly after all of the bookmarks are back. :\ It's driving me crazy. 

I tried it your way too,

again on these versions which are the latest ones in each channel

Edge insider canary Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

Edge stable Version 79.0.309.56 (Official build) (64-bit)

tried it both ways, tried with both favorites and favorite folders.

one browser closed and the other open, and vice versa. none of the deleted favorites came back. waited even 2 hours, still didn't come back.

which Edge insider channels/versions are you using?

which OS version?

@Havret 

@Havret wrote:
Yep, apparently the new build introduces some regressions. :\

new build on which channel? I know Dev hasn't been updated since last year

@davequail 

@davequail wrote:

@Havret Another issue...it has brought back Favorites I deleted/removed some months back! This really not good at all. :sad:

Which channel and version are you using?

https://imgur.com/a/zHaUs2m

In order to reproduce you have to close all instances of the edge. After a short while, all removed bookmarks are back. As @davequail said even the staff that I removed months ago.

@HotCakeX wrote:

@sdmmr wrote:

Another issue is saving a webpage as a "Single File" will save as ".html" instead of ".mhtml" when using provided filename without any changing.

Working correctly on Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

tried both with and without changing the default name

@HotCakeX It's great! Expecting the next build of Dev and Beta will also work correctly.

Yes, they'll probably release the next Dev update on monday

@Havret 

Dev 80.0.361.23 

The following comment refers to all 3 Channels (latest builds).  There was a time, quite a while ago, where I had deleted Favs repopulating and some doubles or triples.  This was certainly & also true for the "Other Favorites" folder.  However, I have not had this behavior anymore for a long time.  I have been checking as I have been seeing what is being said about this in this thread.  I have looked at or tried everything mentioned & cannot repro it.  Deleted Favs are not returning, for me.

Cheers,
Drew

You mentioned earlier in the other post that Favorite syncing is not even available for you, due to it being a controlled feature roll out, so it's normal you are not experiencing those problems.
I am using the current Dev channel which I suspect is really out of date.
I am usingthe current Dev channel which I suspect is pretty much out of date at the moment.