Dev channel update to 80.0.361.5 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.361.5 to the Dev channel!  This is the final build for major version 80, which means it’s also our next Beta channel candidate.  This is also the final Dev channel update for the year; we don’t expect to publish anything more until January.  However, we couldn’t leave you without some holiday treats, so here are all of the feature rollouts that have been recently completed for the Canary and Dev channels. 

First, we’ve officially opened up the new Edge Extension Store for submissions!  You can read more about the process for submitting to the store in this blog post:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/16/get-started-extensions-addons-microsoft-edge-chromium

Next, for the web developers, we’ve published an example application on our GitHub page that serves as a comprehensive API demonstration of our new WebView2 control.  You can read more about how to use it in this blog post:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/11/webview2-interactive-api-sample

For our ARM enthusiasts, we’re bringing our native ARM64 builds to the Dev channel today!  These builds have been in Canary for the last few weeks, and we’ve ironed out most of the major issues during that time.  There’s still one known issue though:  certain DRM video on some websites doesn’t play properly. 

If you didn’t see it last week, we made a short post here about some of our work on the Mac touch bar:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Articles/Try-the-revamped-Touch-Bar-experience-on-Microsoft-E...

Finally, we’ve got three features to look for in upcoming builds. 

• One of them is what we’re calling the “pinning wizard”. It will occasionally pop up from your Task Bar and suggest top websites from your history to pin directly to the Task Bar as installed websites.  It can also be used at any time from … > More tools. 
  • For users of high contrast themes in Windows, Edge now supports high contrast themes as well! It will follow the theme you’ve chosen in the OS Settings and brings us back to parity with the support offered in Edge Legacy. 
  • And for users of Immersive Reader (formerly known as Reading View), we’ve greatly expanded the number of color themes you can choose from. Many of these are specially designed to reduce eye strain and increase reading comprehension. 

Before we get on with the rest of the features and additions that are worth mentioning this week, you should know that favorites sync is still disabled for the majority of users.  This includes brand new machines you install Edge on, so if you’re setting up Edge for the first time and want access to your favorites, you’ll need to manually export your favorites to a file on a different machine and import them on the new one.  We’re also working on a deduplication mechanism once favorites sync is re-enabled, which should prevent new duplicates from coming in as well as remove duplicates for users who have already had their favorites duplicated. 

Added features:

• Added support for Dolby Vision playback.
  • Enabled users of Windows Mixed Reality to view 360° videos on VR headsets.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed a crash when opening certain PDFs.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the Feedback button crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a browser crash for users of Collections.
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing passwords into password fields sometimes causes a tab crash.
  • Fixed a crash when playing the Surf game.
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites don’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails for certain videos with error D7381.

Changed behavior: 

• By request, favorites folders are now yellow.
  • Updated Adobe Flash to version 32.0.0.303.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs that fail to save for some reason end up failing silently instead of showing an error to the user.
  • Fixed an issue where the font dropdown in Settings doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the search engine can’t be edited because the Save button doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the current display language can be removed from Edge even though it shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge installations on Azure Active Directory domain-joined machines get signed into the wrong account on first run.
  • Fixed an issue where some webpages aren’t able to be translated, and instead show an error saying that the source language and target language are the same.  
  • Fixed an issue where Learn More links clicked during the First Run Experience open in tabs hidden behind the FRE instead of in a dialog above it.
  • Fixed an issue where navigation to certain websites in IE mode sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes doesn’t load the image properly and instead shows the loading spinner forever.
  • Fixed an issue where pasting items from one Collection into another doesn’t paste them in the correct order.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping an image into a Collection sometimes results in the wrong link being saved.
  • Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots sometimes don’t work properly on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut for saving a PDF doesn’t work on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where desktop notifications are broken on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes fails to automatically update on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling and reinstalling Edge sometimes results in it no longer being able to launch on Windows Insider builds.

Known issues: 

• Navigation in new tabs sometimes fails, either showing an error that the connection is closed, or crashing the tab. In some cases, subsequent navigations in the tab are okay. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected, and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift+esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it. 
  • Highlighting text in the address bar then clicking on webpages sometimes causes black-on-dark text when the browser is in Dark Theme.
  • The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

Thank you for a great 2019 and for all of your help building both this community and the new Edge.  We couldn’t have done it without you! 

177 Replies

@josh_bodner I notice that high GPU usage occurs when the download bar is on in Dev 80.0.361.9. I need to close the download bar and then the GPU usage is back to normal.

@josh_bodner 

I've sent 3-4 Smiley reports about this bug, but thought I'd post it here, too, in case anyone else has experienced this.

A very unusual bug where page contents, after being rendered, aren't cached. So if you scroll too fast, the entire page is re-drawn as you scroll (!). Especially noticeable on longer pages. Have not seen this before, until this most recent build.

To a normal user, it just looks/feels like an ancient 1990s browser that can't keep up with modern websites. It's often fixable with a restart, but that gets old.

See a short video here: https://streamable.com/iritz

System:

i5-8600K (monitor above is powered by the UHD 630 iGPU; driver 26.20.100.7584)

32 GB DDR4-3200

Samsung 960 EVO 250 GB

1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz

Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 (18363.535)

What I've tried:

1. Restarting does fix it for a few minutes.
  2. Turning off hardware acceleration reduces its severity, but it's still present.
  3. Reproducible on any long page.
  4. Reproducible in inPrivate windows.

I believe this latest build has been the only build I've experienced it.

- Edge Canary 81.0.369.0 - https dont't work, my problem exists

@welzewool now that I'm back from the holidays and we've had a few more Canaries put out since then, are you still having problems with this?  The fact that it worked for you in Chrome Canary when you checked makes me expect that this should be fixed in our Canary now as well, but let me know if that's not the case.  

I notice that high GPU usage occurs when the download bar is on in Dev 80.0.361.9. I need to close the download bar and then the GPU usage is back to normal.

@sdmmr does this affect Canary as well, or just Dev?  I can't get this behavior to occur in any channel on my own machines, so I suspect it may be something a little more specific to your setup.  

So if you scroll too fast, the entire page is re-drawn as you scroll (!)

@ikjadoon Scrolling is one of the areas that we know Chromium was less smooth compared to Edge Legacy, and while we've started making investments in this area, there's still a lot of work we want to do.  I'd be very curious if you can get the same thing to happen in Chrome, since it's very likely we're inheriting this from them.  

@SOI_7 @josh_bodner @HotCakeX Isn't this discussion about whether folders should be yellow, outlined, or customisable shades a wider question about the overall look and feel of Microsoft products as a whole?  Is Windows 10 Fluent Design the go-to standard, are there different standards across other products such as Microsoft Office and Azure?  Or is Chromium Edge something different?

Generally speaking Xbox is Green and Windows 10 is blue - but for Chromium Edge to work across all platforms, what should it look like?  It's awesome logo is green and blue - what should the folders look like?

There was a lot of work done recently between versions 1903 and 1909 of Windows 10 to change the File Explorer folder icon's shade of yellow so that it was visible on dark or light themes.   This attention to detail should be given to the folders in Chromium Edge too, but I do hope custom options will be available too, and the application of a group policy is a great idea too. 

Perhaps a business would like to folders to match their branding, or there may be some LGBTQI people would like rainbow folders if that's even possible?  :hearteyes:

Posted via Edge Dev Version 80.0.361.9 (Official build) Dev (64-bit) on MacBook

Sadly Microsoft has never been good when it comes to UI consistency, all their products have their own design language despite the Fluent Design guidelines
This sounds nice! all of it :)

The biggest problem with Fluent Design on the current day - it isn't something determined at least for the public. The first apps on win10 had acrylic transparency, strict angles for fields and buttons, and bevel highlighting, current "Fluent Design" doesn't have them at all and apps after recent updates lost these distinctive features. So we can't speak about any consistency especially with archaic win 8 file explorer as an example of future proof planning which got on win10 only not so good dark theme and updated search.

Other problem, yellow folders aren't something that community frequently ask. We asked for Acryl, for good dark theme which doesn't flash with white when form still loading content end etc. So looks like this was someone internal desition, we didn't see any poll confirms this. Obviously Edgium was designed as monochromic, and IMHO a good manner to change something without conferring is to give the user a choice. Yellow as default, monochrome as optional it isn't something special or harmful for the product. Everyone knows that more than 80% of users always use the default setting anyway.

@Graham-STMC 

@Henry08 Sorry, that's completely false.  As someone who has requested getting rid of the horrible gray folder icons since the very beginning (and restoration of proper consistent yellow color folders) I have seen hundreds of similar comments from my meager forum and web browsing on the topic.  Just because you personally don't like the consistent yellow color doesn't mean that you represent the majority opinion.

This is so true, Acrylic theme was among the first things asked and it's more important IMO.
I'm currently using Firefox ver 72 ad the bookmarks look the same way as Edge 79, gray nice colors. no more ugly yellow folder colors.

Isn't this discussion about whether folders should be yellow, outlined, or customisable shades a wider question about the overall look and feel of Microsoft products as a whole?  Is Windows 10 Fluent Design the go-to standard, are there different standards across other products such as Microsoft Office and Azure?  Or is Chromium Edge something different?

@Graham-STMC I think part of the problem is that what constitutes "Fluent" continues to change (perhaps "evolve" would be a more gracious way of putting it).  For example, the Acrylic transparency that was such a hit with some of Edge Legacy's users was a specific implementation of a broader idea, not the exact specification to be followed pixel-for-pixel by successors:  https://medium.com/microsoft-design/evolving-the-microsoft-fluent-design-system-9b37fb890c82.  I feel like the implication here is that we should be trying to integrate all of Microsoft's products to be more cohesive-feeling, and it's a sentiment that I absolutely agree with.  

@josh_bodner So many comment that the Android ecosystem is so fragmented, personally I think Microsoft has a great opportunity, perhaps starting with Edge, to provide something special that makes its products and services stand out or even shine, with one standard.  There are many great design elements in all of them from Office through Skype and here with Edge.  I realise there is perhaps a history of different departments fighting but perhaps under the current leadership, and the great innovations such as the forums for Insiders, a focus should be possible.

To me the transparent tiles of Windows Phone 8.1 were amazing - but the overall look was spoilt by the odd brand that needed a specific look.  Perhaps it is an impossible task in today's need for recognition but there should be some commonality.

@HotCakeX To each their own.  I would NEVER use Firefox as an example of excellent UI design.

@josh_bodner I do not have Canary so I don't know. I tried in Beta and it does not occur. 

I tried Guest Profile and a new Profile in Dev and the issue still occurs.
I sent a Smiley Feedback with attachments and diagnostics and hope that it can help you.

Another issue is saving a webpage as a "Single File" will save as ".html" instead of ".mhtml" when using provided filename without any changing.

Absolutely, agree with and support what you say here 100%.

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

@josh_bodner 
I think the bug with bookmarks sync is back. I cannot remove any bookmarks because they are shortly restored. It's pretty annoying to tell the the truth. 

I'm glad that Microsoft launcher exists on Android so i can have the same look and feel, even the location of app shortcuts, when I change my phone.

@Speednet 

@Speednet wrote:

@HotCakeX To each their own.  I would NEVER use Firefox as an example of excellent UI design.

I was only talking about its bookmark folder icons though but have you tried Firefox 73?

@sdmmr wrote:

Another issue is saving a webpage as a "Single File" will save as ".html" instead of ".mhtml" when using provided filename without any changing.

Working correctly on Version 81.0.381.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit)

tried both with and without changing the default name