Dev channel update to 80.0.361.5 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.361.5 to the Dev channel!  This is the final build for major version 80, which means it’s also our next Beta channel candidate.  This is also the final Dev channel update for the year; we don’t expect to publish anything more until January.  However, we couldn’t leave you without some holiday treats, so here are all of the feature rollouts that have been recently completed for the Canary and Dev channels. 

First, we’ve officially opened up the new Edge Extension Store for submissions!  You can read more about the process for submitting to the store in this blog post:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/16/get-started-extensions-addons-microsoft-edge-chromium

Next, for the web developers, we’ve published an example application on our GitHub page that serves as a comprehensive API demonstration of our new WebView2 control.  You can read more about how to use it in this blog post:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/11/webview2-interactive-api-sample

For our ARM enthusiasts, we’re bringing our native ARM64 builds to the Dev channel today!  These builds have been in Canary for the last few weeks, and we’ve ironed out most of the major issues during that time.  There’s still one known issue though:  certain DRM video on some websites doesn’t play properly. 

If you didn’t see it last week, we made a short post here about some of our work on the Mac touch bar:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Articles/Try-the-revamped-Touch-Bar-experience-on-Microsoft-E...

Finally, we’ve got three features to look for in upcoming builds. 

• One of them is what we’re calling the “pinning wizard”. It will occasionally pop up from your Task Bar and suggest top websites from your history to pin directly to the Task Bar as installed websites.  It can also be used at any time from … > More tools. 
  • For users of high contrast themes in Windows, Edge now supports high contrast themes as well! It will follow the theme you’ve chosen in the OS Settings and brings us back to parity with the support offered in Edge Legacy. 
  • And for users of Immersive Reader (formerly known as Reading View), we’ve greatly expanded the number of color themes you can choose from. Many of these are specially designed to reduce eye strain and increase reading comprehension. 

Before we get on with the rest of the features and additions that are worth mentioning this week, you should know that favorites sync is still disabled for the majority of users.  This includes brand new machines you install Edge on, so if you’re setting up Edge for the first time and want access to your favorites, you’ll need to manually export your favorites to a file on a different machine and import them on the new one.  We’re also working on a deduplication mechanism once favorites sync is re-enabled, which should prevent new duplicates from coming in as well as remove duplicates for users who have already had their favorites duplicated. 

Added features:

• Added support for Dolby Vision playback.
  • Enabled users of Windows Mixed Reality to view 360° videos on VR headsets.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed a crash when opening certain PDFs.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the Feedback button crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a browser crash for users of Collections.
  • Fixed a crash when closing the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing passwords into password fields sometimes causes a tab crash.
  • Fixed a crash when playing the Surf game.
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites don’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails for certain videos with error D7381.

Changed behavior: 

• By request, favorites folders are now yellow.
  • Updated Adobe Flash to version 32.0.0.303.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs that fail to save for some reason end up failing silently instead of showing an error to the user.
  • Fixed an issue where the font dropdown in Settings doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the search engine can’t be edited because the Save button doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where the current display language can be removed from Edge even though it shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge installations on Azure Active Directory domain-joined machines get signed into the wrong account on first run.
  • Fixed an issue where some webpages aren’t able to be translated, and instead show an error saying that the source language and target language are the same.  
  • Fixed an issue where Learn More links clicked during the First Run Experience open in tabs hidden behind the FRE instead of in a dialog above it.
  • Fixed an issue where navigation to certain websites in IE mode sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes doesn’t load the image properly and instead shows the loading spinner forever.
  • Fixed an issue where pasting items from one Collection into another doesn’t paste them in the correct order.
  • Fixed an issue where dragging and dropping an image into a Collection sometimes results in the wrong link being saved.
  • Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots sometimes don’t work properly on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where the keyboard shortcut for saving a PDF doesn’t work on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where desktop notifications are broken on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge sometimes fails to automatically update on Windows Insider builds.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling and reinstalling Edge sometimes results in it no longer being able to launch on Windows Insider builds.

Known issues: 

• Navigation in new tabs sometimes fails, either showing an error that the connection is closed, or crashing the tab. In some cases, subsequent navigations in the tab are okay. 
  • After an initial fix for it recently, some users are still experiencing Edge windows becoming all black. UI popups like menus are not affected, and opening the Browser Task Manager (keyboard shortcut is shift+esc) and killing the GPU process fixes it. 
  • Highlighting text in the address bar then clicking on webpages sometimes causes black-on-dark text when the browser is in Dark Theme.
  • The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • Some users are still not seeing Collections being enabled by default on Canary and Dev. For users who want to try Collections, enabling the flag at edge://flags/#edge-collections should still work to turn on the feature. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

Thank you for a great 2019 and for all of your help building both this community and the new Edge.  We couldn’t have done it without you! 

177 Replies

@bogdancalapod 

@bogdancalapod wrote:

@HotCakeX Well, Edge is based on Chromium code, so they inevitably will always be behind the official Chrome version. 

True but only few days.

currently, Edge dev and canary channels are only few days behind google chrome dev and canary channels.

but for the stable channel, Microsoft is intentionally postponing and delaying the release to stay behind the google chrome's development.

Microsoft's Edge version 79 will be released in January 15 2020 while Google chrome version 79 WAS released in December 10th 2019.

@josh_bodner 

Did y'all notice, since updating, that Dev & Canary both have yellow realistic-looking manila folders  YellowFolder.jpg in Favorites?

Cheers,
Drew

@HotCakeX 

If you want the users that are using Edge to recognize themself it should look and work the same way.

In light mode white folders on a white background is bad with good eyes in normal conditions. In bad light or with reduced eyesight it unusable.

Making it setable is good 

Oh of course we did, the majority of the comments in this topic are literally about the same yellow favorite folders, and the request to revert them back to how they were ;)

@josh_bodner 

This makes me very worried

"Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.361.5 to the Dev channel!  This is the final build for major version 80, which means it’s also our next Beta channel candidate. "

We know that the touch keyboard DOES NOT work in M80 until 3987 so please do not base a beta on something we already know is broken. Every surface using the old keyboard expirience or running on older LTSB will loose their keyboard

@josh_bodner 

Please do NOT use the UGLY yellow folder icon

It's really ugly. 

OR

let us set custom colors/icon for folder icon

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edge's new icon 

clipboard_image_0.png

Edge's old icon

clipboard_image_2.png

Which is better??

@Speednet Ugh.... No, can we get it back to the b/w version?
The yellow folders looks horrible. :(

@matsmcp 

Spoiler

@matsmcp wrote:

@HotCakeX 

If you want the users that are using Edge to recognize themself it should look and work the same way.

In light mode white folders on a white background is bad with good eyes in normal conditions. In bad light or with reduced eyesight it unusable.

Making it setable is good 

That's not necessary. there is no rule for that, it's not supposed to be the same.

I don't see any indication that Microsoft wants people Not to feel the difference between old and new Edge.

all I see is Microsoft want people to give them a chance and try the new browser and forget the past bad memories of built in browsers in the Windows and so the first thing people always do after installing Windows Won't be to install a 3rd party browser on their OS first and then continue configuring the rest of the settings.

@poyi Hong 

@poyi Hong wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Please do NOT use the UGLY yellow folder icon

It's really ugly. 

OR

let us set custom colors/icon for folder icon

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Edge's new icon 

clipboard_image_0.png

Edge's old icon

clipboard_image_2.png

Which is better??

Totally agree.

Microsoft made a good design for the favorites folder icon and then threw that away and copied google chrome. users didn't want yellow folders, we want to be able to set custom colors for the folders in the favorites. including the default gray color, yellow and many more colors.

I'm sorry, but I love the yellow icons. Old ones were harder to identify since they were only outlines, and I like them also because they're more coherent to the whole Microsoft UI rules (folders are yellow not only in legacy Edge, but also in File Explorer). And I disagree about the resemblance with Chrome, because it uses a different folder icon, despite being both yellow

@josh_bodner 

Suggestion/idea:

Have options to set colours or even icons (e.g. briefcase, book, lightbulb) for individual folders, with an additional default option (somewhere in the bookmarks manager).

Individualised icons might help for people like me who have about 10 folders in their bookmarks bar (relating to work, studies, interests, hobbies, side projects, reading). That is all I use my favourites bar for, and I'm sure there are others that do the same.

Conceptual ideal case:

The browser could change icons automatically -- say, if I have a folder called "work" on the favourites bar, it could change the icon to a briefcase. The next time I open my updated browser it would say "Look, we changed the icons on your favourite folders. Would you like to keep them this way?"

@RobWuijster Well, no, the icons are most certainly not "ugly".  That kind of over-the-top invective does not make a good case for Microsoft to listen to your opinion.  You're also implying that the entirety of the Windows file system is "ugly", since it also uses yellow folder icons.

When looking at folder icon color, it is much better to use logic when justifying your opinion, such as the logic that using yellow icons allows Edge to match the rest of the operating system.  Also, as many others have noted, the old gray icons were terrible because they did not provide any clear visual differences with the similar gray website icons.  So Microsoft made a great decision to go with the yellow icons. 

@SOI_7 

@SOI_7 wrote:
I'm sorry, but I love the yellow icons. Old ones were harder to identify since they were only outlines, and I like them also because they're more coherent to the whole Microsoft UI rules (folders are yellow not only in legacy Edge, but also in File Explorer). And I disagree about the resemblance with Chrome, because it uses a different folder icon, despite being both yellow

Sorry but honestly I don't know what is there to "identify". It's a favorites bar, it contains favorites and favorites folders, we already know what's in there.

Specially if you organize your favorites in multiple folders like I do, I do NOT need 20 repetitive colorful icons to "identify" they are folders every time I need to use the favorites. Since they are repetitive, they should be more subtle to avoid becoming visual pollution in the browser window like they are now. If it was a single element, it would not be a huge issue to be yellow, but that's not the case with a list of the same elements that can grow pretty big. In design, less is usually more! The content should be the focus, not the interface.

Yeah. the icons are not exactly like chrome, but it's the same in the sense that it looks outdated/not in sync with a modern design, specially dark mode on top of standing out too much.

In my examples bellow, the second option is way cleaner and less intrusive, and I have no issues identifying they are folders. I respect if people have personal preferences, but I don't think "identifying" the icons is an issue to justify this change.

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_1.png

There is nothing to be sorry about.
it's obvious that 50% like the yellow and 50% like the original gray ones.
so what Microsoft should do is to give us OPTIONS. gray, yellow, pink, purple and a few bunch of other colors. that's the best thing that can happen.

@Speednet 

@Speednet wrote:

@RobWuijster Well, no, the icons are most certainly not "ugly".  That kind of over-the-top invective does not make a good case for Microsoft to listen to your opinion.  You're also implying that the entirety of the Windows file system is "ugly", since it also uses yellow folder icons.

When looking at folder icon color, it is much better to use logic when justifying your opinion, such as the logic that using yellow icons allows Edge to match the rest of the operating system.  Also, as many others have noted, the old gray icons were terrible because they did not provide any clear visual differences with the similar gray website icons.  So Microsoft made a great decision to go with the yellow icons. 

It's only your opinion and there are hundreds of others that may be the same as yours and may be different.
you think yellow is the best, good for you.
for me gray is the best.
let's not say which group has more popularity because we can't be sure. and Microsoft shouldn't make one group happy and the other group sad.

I think it was wrong to change the colors to yellows without a proper public poll or survey.
because now there are people who don't like it.

There needs to be an option to change the colors. it's as simple as that.

gdfgfdg.png

See, that's a few colors from tab groups. they don't need to give us the whole 16 Millions of RGB spectrum, although it would be awesome to have a color picker :)

I made a proper respectful reply to someone else's comment and it was deleted as "spam". Moderator? Why? Please restore my message.

@HotCakeX 

Yes there are rules for it - at least in the corp world. You do not wan't to break standards or reduce user experience because the users will reject it (remember win 8 without a startmenu?)

Any unnecessary change is an unnecessary cost for retraining users.

So lets now take a look at folders:

In File Explorer - they are yellow

in Internet Explorer - they are yellow

In Edge Classic - they are yellow

aka the Windows standard is Yellow

Chrome uses yellow too

Is white on white easy to see - no

is it good for seeing impaired - no

does it work well on tablets - no 

aka it's poor user experience

Therefore Yellow is a lot better if you want to have a product that people will use instead of downloading third party software since it's the most downloaded third party gives yellow folders.  For reference the most downloaded third party sw for Win8  according to an MS representative at Tech Ed  was start menu enablers)

@thekylef 

@thekylef wrote:

I made a proper respectful reply to someone else's comment and it was deleted as "spam". Moderator? Why? Please restore my message.

you can message either of our 2 newly appointed moderators about the issue

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Welcome-our-new-Community-Managers-Missy-and-Fawk...

@matsmcp 

Spoiler

@matsmcp wrote:

@HotCakeX 

Yes there are rules for it - at least in the corp world. You do not wan't to break standards or reduce user experience because the users will reject it (remember win 8 without a startmenu?)

Any unnecessary change is an unnecessary cost for retraining users.

So lets now take a look at folders:

In File Explorer - they are yellow

in Internet Explorer - they are yellow

In Edge Classic - they are yellow

aka the Windows standard is Yellow

Chrome uses yellow too

Is white on white easy to see - no

is it good for seeing impaired - no

does it work well on tablets - no 

aka it's poor user experience

Therefore Yellow is a lot better if you want to have a product that people will use instead of downloading third party software since it's the most downloaded third party gives yellow folders.  For reference the most downloaded third party sw for Win8  according to an MS representative at Tech Ed  was start menu enablers)

you mentioned those 4 negative aspects of gray folder colors. so why there are still people who are asking for it if it's so bad?

actually I got a new idea.

if the majority of issues with gray folder icons were experienced on light Edge theme then why not change folder colors in addition to the rest of the UI colors when Edge theme is switched from Dark to White. that is another way to make everyone happy.

One difference to me is in file Explorer the folders are the content! They can stand out.

In the browser, the favorites folders in the favorites bar are more part of the interface. They are repetitive elements and should not stand out so much and just become visual pollution and distraction. Focus should be on the content, not the interface.