SOLVED

Dev channel update to 80.0.355.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.355.1 to the Dev channel!  Even more exciting, Collections are now enabled by default for all Canary and Dev channel users, as well as Collections sync!  This blog post has the details:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/09/improvements-collections-sync-microsoft-edge.  Please note that some users who have manually modified their sync settings in the past may not have Collections sync enabled and will need to turn it on themselves. 

Before we get to all the most noteworthy changes, it’s worth mentioning something that hasn’t changed:  favorites sync is still disabled for most people in order to prevent some crashes and favorites duplication.  However, if you’re currently syncing with Edge mobile, your favorites sync hasn’t been disabled, so if you’re experiencing Edge crashing shortly after startup, it’s likely that your favorites sync is still enabled. 

Added features:

• Added an option to Reading View to increase text spacing.
  • Added a prompt to verify work or school accounts that are automatically added to Edge but aren’t enabled for sync so that users are aware sync isn’t enabled.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where closing a window sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a crash on startup on ARM64 devices.
  • Fixed a crash that occurs when favorites sync is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where closing a tab too quickly after adding an item to a Collection sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where a crash in the Collections pane causes all future additions to Collections to fail until the browser is restarted.
  • Fixed a tab crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge on Mac fails to install updates automatically.
  • Fixed an issue where saving a PDF that has been written on with ink sometimes results in a corrupted file.
  • Fixed an issue Application Guard windows fail to open after a browser update.

Changed behavior:

• Updated the toolbar Feedback icon to be consistent with other Windows feedback icons.
  • Changed the color of the title bar of installed websites and PWAs to be the dominant color of the site’s favicon.
  • Fixed an issue where manually importing data from Chrome isn’t possible if there are too many Chrome browser profiles to fit in the dialog.
  • Fixed an issue where the UI and web content is sometimes seen doubled and shrunken on high DPI displays.  
  • Fixed an issue where importing favorites from a file sometimes causes any favorites on the Favorites Bar not to be imported directly onto the Favorites Bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the Find bar sometimes disappears when the browser loses focus.
  • Fixed an issue where the 1px border on top of the window is missing.
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to autofill a credit card has two checkboxes to save the card locally.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to the Sync Settings page always triggers a dialog to enable sync.
  • Fixed an issue with changing the order of items in a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where switching tabs quickly after adding an item to a Collection causes the item not to be added properly.

Known issues: 

• The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

As always, we appreciate all the feedback and suggestions we’ve collected from you! 

67 Replies

@matsmcp  

@josh_bodner 

I have the same issue with the virtual keyboard on an ASUS tablet.....URL field is useless in tablet mode

---->It would be nice to have  a working keyboard on surface PRO. it's still broken in the URL field since early November

Will it be a dark mode option for all websites in Microsoft Edge? Thanks. I hope that will be.

I asked for final version of Edge that will be launched in January? Thanks.@HotCakeX 

@Reka731 

Yes, absolutely, it will be due to its extreme popularity.  AND, There is a flag to enable it, now. 
Darkpagesflag.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

Yeah most likely, depends on which version Microsoft is deciding to be their first stable release.
currently Google chrome stable channel is on version 79 but Microsoft is still holding it on Beta channel.
soon beta should be upgraded to version 80

@RedBeta It should work in beta.

The bug was fixed in chromium yesterday so now it's just a matter of MS releasing a build based on chromium 81.0.3997.0 or newer

@matsmcp 

Mat, I have all 3 Channels on 1909 AND 2004.  Right now, of the 6, Dev on 2004 does Dark pages, by default.  All the others, still, need the flag Enabled.  This is another one that is not hitting everywhere simultaneously.

Cheers,
Drew

Dark pages by default?
forced dark page by default? that's Not a good thing
Hi all, I cannot change the fonts from the standard ones. Version 80.0.355.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

@davequail 

@davequail wrote:
Hi all, I cannot change the fonts from the standard ones. Version 80.0.355.1 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

Yeah, another issue that wasn't supposed to but moved anyway from Canary to Dev channel. it is fixed now in Canary so Dev channel should wait for its turn to receive the same fixes too, probably in the next Dev update.

@josh_bodner 

Hi,

Two bugs:

1. Downloading big files (>100MB) crash the browser (try to download some linux image ;))

2. If you have website which using local certificate (installed in trusted folder) browser not allow that page (even with enabled #allow-insecure-localhost flag)

@Mateusz_Romanowski is downloading the files crashing Edge Dev or Edge Canary?  If it's Dev, can you try it in Canary and see if it still happens?  I tried downloading some 500MB driver packages with my Edge Dev today and couldn't get it to crash.  

Hi,
does the crash happen at the beginning, during or at the end of the bigger than 100MB downloads?

@josh_bodner I checked only Dev version. I try to check Canary version.

I think maybe it is because I have #enable-parallel-downloading flag enabled? I'll check this also.

@HotCakeX 

Hi,

On the beginning when I put path to downloaded file (user/downloads it's not my default path - always ask)

@Mateusz_Romanowski I tried enabling that flag in today's Dev update and couldn't reproduce the crash, so you may want to update and try again yourself.  Also, are you running any extensions?  Those might be interfering as well.  

@Drew1903 Thank you kindly for trying to reproduce it; my apologies in the delay replying to your sincere testing. I was out of a working system for this week (not related to Chromium Edge, heh).

But, you're exactly right. Controlled "feature rollouts" in testing environments, especially buggy ones that have no discussion or introduction, have always been problematic for testers. It's a win-lose situation where the loss of autonomy by testers is the gain of autonomy by developers. Testers can't begin to write meaningful bug reports because "not reproducible" is a feature of these rollouts--our task as testers, on the other hand, should be engaging the product faithfully & describing its behavior via our access to "live, user" machines with myriads of physical hardware configurations, browser profile settings, and browsing patterns. 

When you instead use "feature rollouts", testers are left in the dark. Does "not reproducible" mean it's a third-party issue unique to this system? Does "not reproducible" mean the trigger condition is too rare to produce spontaneously? Or, here, is this just another "feature rollout" that was enabled for just this machine?

Thanks for confirming, @little_terry and @HotCakeX . The same happened on my machine: once they reversed the rollout from this machine, the bug disappeared.

Cheers, @josh_bodner , for the update on what exactly was going on. Definitely the former.

Nice in-depth explanation. I hope after Edge stable is released and the rate the new features are introduced in Edge insider is decreased, the controlled feature roll out go away and everyone in the same channel (Canary/Dev/Beta) have access to the same set of features.
just like in google chrome.