SOLVED

Dev channel update to 80.0.355.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.355.1 to the Dev channel!  Even more exciting, Collections are now enabled by default for all Canary and Dev channel users, as well as Collections sync!  This blog post has the details:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/09/improvements-collections-sync-microsoft-edge.  Please note that some users who have manually modified their sync settings in the past may not have Collections sync enabled and will need to turn it on themselves. 

Before we get to all the most noteworthy changes, it’s worth mentioning something that hasn’t changed:  favorites sync is still disabled for most people in order to prevent some crashes and favorites duplication.  However, if you’re currently syncing with Edge mobile, your favorites sync hasn’t been disabled, so if you’re experiencing Edge crashing shortly after startup, it’s likely that your favorites sync is still enabled. 

Added features:

• Added an option to Reading View to increase text spacing.
  • Added a prompt to verify work or school accounts that are automatically added to Edge but aren’t enabled for sync so that users are aware sync isn’t enabled.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where closing a window sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a crash on startup on ARM64 devices.
  • Fixed a crash that occurs when favorites sync is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where closing a tab too quickly after adding an item to a Collection sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where a crash in the Collections pane causes all future additions to Collections to fail until the browser is restarted.
  • Fixed a tab crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge on Mac fails to install updates automatically.
  • Fixed an issue where saving a PDF that has been written on with ink sometimes results in a corrupted file.
  • Fixed an issue Application Guard windows fail to open after a browser update.

Changed behavior:

• Updated the toolbar Feedback icon to be consistent with other Windows feedback icons.
  • Changed the color of the title bar of installed websites and PWAs to be the dominant color of the site’s favicon.
  • Fixed an issue where manually importing data from Chrome isn’t possible if there are too many Chrome browser profiles to fit in the dialog.
  • Fixed an issue where the UI and web content is sometimes seen doubled and shrunken on high DPI displays.  
  • Fixed an issue where importing favorites from a file sometimes causes any favorites on the Favorites Bar not to be imported directly onto the Favorites Bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the Find bar sometimes disappears when the browser loses focus.
  • Fixed an issue where the 1px border on top of the window is missing.
  • Fixed an issue where the prompt to autofill a credit card has two checkboxes to save the card locally.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to the Sync Settings page always triggers a dialog to enable sync.
  • Fixed an issue with changing the order of items in a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where switching tabs quickly after adding an item to a Collection causes the item not to be added properly.

Known issues: 

• The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

As always, we appreciate all the feedback and suggestions we’ve collected from you! 

67 Replies

@jh30uk 

@jh30uk wrote:

@HotCakeX , I had an idea that may be the case, apart from a few site that did this themselves (my trial of YouTube Music) I see no point in Apps or Collection so will not see this feature much thanks anyhow.

Apps are something totally different than Collections feature! 

@JohnnyG76 

Hi Johnny,

Collections is in Canary, by default.  It was in Dev with flags.  It was there (by default), after the last update to Dev.  Then, I read your comment, here, and noticed it was (NOW) not there; have it, again, in Dev, but, by re-enabling the Collections flags.

Cheers,
Drew

@HotCakeX I know that and never said anything to the contrary.

I did say I have no need for either.

@JohnnyG76 just checking, do you mean it's not available automatically, or not available even when you enable the edge://flags/#edge-collections flag?  

New tab page broken for anyone else?

@RicoViking9000 

It's not 'broken' for me, in any way.  In what way or ways do you find it to be 'broken'?  Please, define or explain "broken", in this context.  Thanks. Please, specify or detail the NTP behavior you have.

Cheers,
Drew

For the first time ever in this 80.0.355.1 build, my New Tab Page is broken. I turned off the background image and ever since, the page just loads a blank gray page.

If I refresh, it'll show my Quick Links for a split second and then those disappear, leaving the initial blank gray page.

Absolutely unreproducible on my other two systems. Sigh, most Chromium Edge bugs are turning out like this: appear completely out-of-the-blue, have been repeatedly previously reported, and nobody's really got a clue how they come or how they go.

@ikjadoon 

You raise a good point here.  The fact that I do not have said issue nor can I repro it (and, believe me, I tried!) is an(other) example of the randomness of bugs. Oft the explanation given is "Controlled Roll-out Feature". But, that is not one machine or User affected and not another, by what is an overt bug; that's merely a delay or lag in receiving a new item..  Myself, as an example, there are, have been countless items mentioned in the Forum of problems, breakages, things amiss in one way or another, issues of some sort whilst, my 2 machines see none of the same... not withstanding "Known issues", of course.

Reading stuff one is not experiencing is perplexing OR the fact that something is not universally felt or seen is, if nothing else, interesting, maybe, intriguing.  (even, unexpected).  But, it does make one wonder at why. (Well, makes me curious, anyway)

The variables that can factor into causing this phenomenon are many, it's said.  But, it is, certainly, noticeable that some are impacted & not others. Frequently, the 'bugs' are not hitting everyone.  And, I will vouch for that 1st hand, to support the occurrence.

Oh okay good
Spoiler
@Drew1903 wrote:

Collections is in Canary, by default.  It was in Dev with flags.  It was there (by default), after the last update to Dev.  Then, I read your comment, here, and noticed it was (NOW) not there; have it, again, in Dev, but, by re-enabling the Collections flags.

Well that's not true. Not for everyone.

those features are part of the controlled feature roll out. Microsoft knows which countries are part of it and which countries aren't. they clearly have a list for it. I've tested it MANY times with VPNs because my work needs me to use VPNs and work with other countries.

It's okay, due to controlled feature rollout, not everyone's browser and experience is the same, so it's normal if only a specific group is experiencing a problem.

@ikjadoon Get the same issue. Just reported with feedback. I noticed that NTP show some error in developer tools. Problem with cookies, tracking prevention which not load some resources and an error with javascript.

Edit: Suddenly NTP now works just fine :lol:

I'm seeing that too, tracking prevention set to balanced

cxcxc.png

@josh_bodner 

It would be nice to have  a working keyboard on surface PRO. it's still broken in the URL field since early November

@HotCakeX  Is it blocked in the UK by any chance? Since I can't use the feature to send it to word or powerpoint. 

keeps saying "To send your collection to Microsoft lWord, sign in to Microsoft Edge."

even though I'm already signed in?

https://gyazo.com/2af7738b659a6631ec3e285870ff043e

Hi, It's not blocked in UK, that error seems to be related to something else, maybe the collections feature is bugged, try signing out and in again?

@RicoViking9000 there are two issues that we know about with the new tab page right now.  One of them was due to a feature rollout that we stopped and pulled back.  If you were seeing layout that looked weird or things that didn't load, it was probably that issue.  Anybody who saw this should be back to normal by now.  The other is an issue where the new tabs completely crash when they try to load.  For some users, hitting enter in the address bar to try to navigate again succeeds; it's just the first navigation that won't work.  We're still investigating that issue.  

I have tried that many times, It still doesn't work, sadly.

@xboxking 

You can try clean uninstalling Edge (delete user data during uninstall) and reinstall it again