Dev channel update to 80.0.345.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.345.0 to the Dev channel!  We’ve also got an exciting update over on our blog about how our Tracking Prevention feature is evolving:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/03/improving-tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-79

Before we get to all the most noteworthy changes, it’s worth mentioning something that hasn’t changed:  favorites sync is still disabled for most people in order to prevent some crashes and favorites duplication.  However, if you’re currently syncing with Edge mobile, your favorites sync hasn’t been disabled, so if you’re experiencing Edge crashing shortly after startup, it’s likely that your favorites sync is still enabled. 

Added features: 

• Added support for erasing ink using the eraser side of a pen.
  • Added support for using the arrow keys and spacebar to draw on feedback screenshots in editor mode.
  • Added SmartScreen protection from downloading potentially unwanted apps.
  • Added Extensions and Collections toggles to the sync Settings page but keeping them disabled in anticipation of syncing for those data types being enabled soon.
  • Added dark theme support to certain UI that appears when the browser is managed by Group Policy.
  • Added dark theme support to the local new tab page that is shown when the device isn’t connected to the internet.
  • Added a group policy to enforce whether or not headers and footers are added to printed pages.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where highlighting text on a webpage sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser UI sometimes appears to hang or turn all black, but it still responds to input and can be fixed by killing the GPU process.
  • Fixed an issue where using Read Aloud sometimes crashes the tab.
  • Fixed a crash on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Word sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where adding multiple pages to a Collection from the same tab sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails or overwrites an existing exported Collection.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where users that are signed into Windows with a work or school account are unable to remove the “Work” account that is automatically added to Edge.
  • Removed the link to Manage Favorites from the Other Favorites folder on the Favorites Bar.
  • Changed the button in Settings that switches which profile is active to open a window to a new tab instead of to Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where typing the address of a website that’s already been visited doesn’t properly autocomplete the name of the website in the address bar dropdown.
  • Fixed an issue where some of the privacy links in the First Run Experience open in a new tab in the background instead of in a popup.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking links in a Collection sometimes causes the Collections pane to show an error page.
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes causes a second empty card to appear as well.
  • Fixed an issue where a Collection that’s updated in one window sometimes isn’t updated in another window.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections that are exported to Word sometimes don’t have the images get properly exported.
  • Fixed an issue where items exported from a Collection have an incorrect date applied to each reference.
  • Fixed an issue where invalid URLs can be dragged and dropped into a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling PWAs or installed websites doesn’t also prompt to delete browsing data for that site.

Known issues:

• The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

As always, we’re very thankful for all of your usage and feedback! 

104 Replies
Currently I have just removed Dev and installed Beta.
Still, Edge developers are going to improve the smooth scrolling experience for the new Edge, as i showed in the link

The file picker and save dialog is blurry and scaled up now instead of sharp and crisp. I'm running Edge in 125% scaling but the dialog appears to be on 100% scaling and scaled up by Windows. Does this happen to anyone else? Do newer canary builds also show this behavior?

@josh_bodner Not sure if its related but Edge updated for me today and I had three BSOD for memory management.  I was in Edge at the time.  

@Dale_Wrobel 

@Dale_Wrobel wrote:

@josh_bodner Not sure if its related but Edge updated for me today and I had three BSOD for memory management.  I was in Edge at the time.  

Hi

if you're not sure, you can find out what caused the BSOD with these tools

BlueScreenView 

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

(free)

WhoCrashed

https://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

(free & paid)

@josh_bodner 

Touch keyboard broken for a month.

might be time to put on the buglist

After all, It's a rather poor experiance that MS edge doesn'r work on MS Surface running MS Windows

@josh_bodner 

Josh, thanks for the info.  I have read through the comments following this latest Update/Build.

FWIW, have 345 on both 1909 and 2004 and both are running just fine.  No mini overlay window, no crashing, touch keyboard works fine, everything, so far, seems a-ok.  Oh and Fav Bar "icons only" stay as set.  As so often, possible 'bugs' not necessarily universal.

Cheers,
Drew

Sync status is still "broken"

it's better to keep a backup of your favorites somewhere else for safe keeping

Annotation 2019-12-05 005621.png

@HotCakeX Sorry for the delay. Let me see what I can do to get off of it and into the proper Insider Preview build. I never had any of the issues from that video and the upgrade link just tells me "Thanks for updating to the newest version" - so I guess I'll see about getting off of this one.

Changed my ring to Fast and getting the new preview. 19035 - much appreciated. I just assumed I was still working instead of being on Custom. I set it and forgot it. ^_^
On Google Doc, please enable "make available offline" (only works on chrome)

@Artimidorus 

@Artimidorus wrote:
Changed my ring to Fast and getting the new preview. 19035 - much appreciated. I just assumed I was still working instead of being on Custom. I set it and forgot it. ^_^

Oh great, you're welcome, now we're on the same build :)

And I am fixed and back in my favorite browser. Figured it was odd for it to break in the way it did, turns out I was just on a bad copy of Windows. I'll pay more attention to this in the future for sure.

@Artimidorus if you ever run into the situation again where no page, including Settings, will load, see this article for a couple of workarounds:  https://textslashplain.com/2019/09/27/aw-snap-every-tab-crashes/.  The short story is that there are a couple of known causes of this behavior:  one of them is for certain users.  If they open Edge with Administrative privileges, they'll see this.  Most people can use Edge in Admin mode just fine though, but that's why we put the little dialog to warn people when they're in Admin mode.  The other known cause is having certain software installed (usually antivirus software) that tries to inject DLLs into Edge.  

@Drew1903 don't forget, we've got a discussion going here to try to figure out why people want to be able to ink on webpages:  what types of pages do they do it on, what do they write, what scenarios can they accomplish with ink that they can't any other way.  That will help us know where to start prioritizing the work:  https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Inking-on-Web-Pages-Discussion/m-p/1006005.  

@John4290 and @Ronald Lawrimore, this is a known bug we're tracking.  It's worth noting that we've only seen this happen so far on high DPI displays (displays where Windows' scaling is set to >100%), so it would be really good to know if you're seeing it on displays with normal DPI scaling.  

@josh_bodner 

just re-downloaded DEV and you are correct, I have 2 4K monitors and they were at the default recommended 150%, switching it to 100% where my aging eyes can't read the fine print the flashing mini window goes away, additionally the Canary Build does not have this defect.  I was just going to use it till next week when the next beta and try again.

Thanks hope that helps.

That's great, keep it up!

I have the same error with a screen resolution of 125% or 150%. With 100% all is fine. But my tablet pc "has to run with 150%”. With 100% all text is to small. So i deinstalled edge dev and installed edge beta, too.

@josh_bodner all https connection stop to work with 80.0.345.0.