Dev channel update to 80.0.345.0 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.345.0 to the Dev channel!  We’ve also got an exciting update over on our blog about how our Tracking Prevention feature is evolving:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/12/03/improving-tracking-prevention-microsoft-edge-79

Before we get to all the most noteworthy changes, it’s worth mentioning something that hasn’t changed:  favorites sync is still disabled for most people in order to prevent some crashes and favorites duplication.  However, if you’re currently syncing with Edge mobile, your favorites sync hasn’t been disabled, so if you’re experiencing Edge crashing shortly after startup, it’s likely that your favorites sync is still enabled. 

Added features: 

• Added support for erasing ink using the eraser side of a pen.
  • Added support for using the arrow keys and spacebar to draw on feedback screenshots in editor mode.
  • Added SmartScreen protection from downloading potentially unwanted apps.
  • Added Extensions and Collections toggles to the sync Settings page but keeping them disabled in anticipation of syncing for those data types being enabled soon.
  • Added dark theme support to certain UI that appears when the browser is managed by Group Policy.
  • Added dark theme support to the local new tab page that is shown when the device isn’t connected to the internet.
  • Added a group policy to enforce whether or not headers and footers are added to printed pages.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where highlighting text on a webpage sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser UI sometimes appears to hang or turn all black, but it still responds to input and can be fixed by killing the GPU process.
  • Fixed an issue where using Read Aloud sometimes crashes the tab.
  • Fixed a crash on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Word sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where adding multiple pages to a Collection from the same tab sometimes fails.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails or overwrites an existing exported Collection.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where users that are signed into Windows with a work or school account are unable to remove the “Work” account that is automatically added to Edge.
  • Removed the link to Manage Favorites from the Other Favorites folder on the Favorites Bar.
  • Changed the button in Settings that switches which profile is active to open a window to a new tab instead of to Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where typing the address of a website that’s already been visited doesn’t properly autocomplete the name of the website in the address bar dropdown.
  • Fixed an issue where some of the privacy links in the First Run Experience open in a new tab in the background instead of in a popup.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking links in a Collection sometimes causes the Collections pane to show an error page.
  • Fixed an issue where adding an item to a Collection sometimes causes a second empty card to appear as well.
  • Fixed an issue where a Collection that’s updated in one window sometimes isn’t updated in another window.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections that are exported to Word sometimes don’t have the images get properly exported.
  • Fixed an issue where items exported from a Collection have an incorrect date applied to each reference.
  • Fixed an issue where invalid URLs can be dragged and dropped into a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling PWAs or installed websites doesn’t also prompt to delete browsing data for that site.

Known issues:

• The Settings page appears too big/zoomed in on certain machines.
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 

As always, we’re very thankful for all of your usage and feedback! 

104 Replies

Opening the new tab page is not working: it loads and spins indefinitely. Typing in another URL works: just the default new tab page has broken. 

I remember this bug in previous builds, but hadn't been hit. Looks like it's my turn now.

Already reported via the Smiley.

18363.476, Windows 10 Pro x64.

EDIT: after about ~10 minutes of using the browser, the New Tab page started to work intermittently. But still, about 80% of the time, I'm stuck here with the spinning favicon. Once the New Tab page does load, it loads extremely fast (much faster than previous builds).

AqPYgkm

@HotCakeX it's only for some PDFs though, not all of them?  Is there anything common to the PDFs you can't draw on, like maybe graphics or forms?  

@FedeDiLo oh man, I would love that as well!  Let me ask around if this is something we've got in our backlog yet.  

@josh_bodner 

After this update: I've run into an issue with this latest build - Edge loads a grey screen and I can't get into any menus/pages/settings. edge://settings loads forever, I can't clear the cache, and all URLs instantly fail. Right click has no response so I can't inspect or do anything, it's like it is failing to load the page.

Currently running latest build (just relaunched a minute ago) with Windows 1903, build 18947.1000

Delete the User Data folder, same issue. Loaded as guest gave me the same as well. 

No DNS setup and using my ISPs. Trying with VPN (just in case), same issue. 

Also note: Add-ons crash on launch but I can't get into Extensions to disable them the normal method.

@josh_bodner 

Josh, please, comment on or explain the following.  There is a pronounced effort to bring 'tools' to PDFs, the latest being Highlighter.  These things (abilities/functions) sound an awful lot like what is in Add notes Add notes icon.jpg  of Edge HTML.  Having this stuff for PDFs is, certainly, great, but, simultaneously, Add notes should be/must be in the browser!  We should not be hearing about this for PDFs, only and not for the browser, also! Supposed to be in the browser so people can CONTINUE to use it to then Share  which, is why their icons sit/live side-by-side By side.jpg.

Not, only, need the Add notes icon, but, the Share icon is not where it belongs (YET).  It's not a big help buried in the ellipsis.

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner 

@josh_bodner wrote:

@HotCakeX it's only for some PDFs though, not all of them?  Is there anything common to the PDFs you can't draw on, like maybe graphics or forms?  

Hi,

Yes only on some of them, they have texts, graphics, table inside them, but so do the rest of my PDFs that work with inking, it's hard to find the difference..

@Artimidorus 

@Artimidorus wrote:

@josh_bodner 

After this update: I've run into an issue with this latest build - Edge loads a grey screen and I can't get into any menus/pages/settings. edge://settings loads forever, I can't clear the cache, and all URLs instantly fail. Right click has no response so I can't inspect or do anything, it's like it is failing to load the page.

Currently running latest build (just relaunched a minute ago) with Windows 1903, build 18947.1000

Delete the User Data folder, same issue. Loaded as guest gave me the same as well. 

No DNS setup and using my ISPs. Trying with VPN (just in case), same issue. 

Also note: Add-ons crash on launch but I can't get into Extensions to disable them the normal method.

Hi,

i think you need to change your Windows 10 because you mentioned you are using Build 18947...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlkpoB_xw2w

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Hi,

in here https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-December-3/m-p/1044780

• An option for a share button in the toolbar is planned, though we’re not ready to set an expected date just yet.

Do NOT manually set your DNS IPs if you're in an Active Directory environment.  You'll have a bad day.

@CurtisBrabham 

@CurtisBrabham wrote:

Do NOT manually set your DNS IPs if you're in an Active Directory environment.  You'll have a bad day.

Of course :)

that was for personal computers, local AD joined computers (non-admins) wouldn't even be able to change their DNS without the required permissions.

though AAD (Azure AD) devices won't be having any problems if they change their DNS ^^

@josh_bodner 

I had to remove the latest DEV and install Beta. Whenever Edge was launched, it created a miniature version of itself in the upper left hand corner of the main Edge screen. Any movement of the mouse to interact with the maximized version would only produce results on the miniature version.

Also noted that Beta channel will not let you remove the default work profile.

Hi,
that sounds like something a malicious website would do, or a malfunctioning extension
try clean installing Dev again (choose to remove user data during uninstall)
https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/download
chances are it will fix it

Pretty big scrolling performance regression here. I don't see it on Canary. Scrolling is janky, often under 60fps, and a lot of lost frames. It's really showing when scrolling with a touchscreen and activating the fling animation.

Since Canary is OK (in fact, better than ever), I suppose it's temporary, but Dev is annoying to use for a bit.

Hi @vincethewipet 

you can try turning smooth scrolling on

Annotation 2019-12-04 180808.png

@josh_bodner Love the new Edge. I use it 99% of the time. Hoping that an issue with moving tabs to another screen or window can be improved upon. When I move a tab it seems to take the whole window with it and I have to move the new- or the old - one back in order to have both visible. Keep up the good work. JGHan

Thank you for the suggestion.

But smooth scrolling is on by default since Chrome 49. Anyway it's not an animation problem, it's a performance problem.

Since I don't see it in Canary, I will assume it's a temporary bug, nothing to worry about :).

@vincethewipet 

@vincethewipet wrote:
Thank you for the suggestion.

But smooth scrolling is on by default since Chrome 49. Anyway it's not an animation problem, it's a performance problem.

Since I don't see it in Canary, I will assume it's a temporary bug, nothing to worry about :).

Chrome 49?

I'm not talking about Google chrome, it's all about Edge insider browser in here and smooth scrolling is being implemented again, Microsoft is actively working on it.

you can also see improvements on smooth scrolling is on the list here

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-December-3/m-p/1044780

@Ronald Lawrimore 

Did you resolve this, I have the exact same issue where a mini window overlays the main window, did a fresh install including going to safe mode and deleting denied folders.  Fresh install and still didn't work, rinse and repeat and installed Canary build and it works as expected as does Beta, so the issue is specific to DEV.

For reference I had only 2 extensions Citrix and Last Pass, I had removed both in testing as well so unlikely related, but worth mentioning.

Thanks

Can confirm - I had noticed this smooth scroll issue in Canary about a week or two ago, and it's finally gone now. It's too bad they couldn't fix it before it found its way into Dev, though.

@HotCakeX 

This work is not about the smooth-scrolling flag. The Edge team is not duplicating existing flags, that would be a giant mess, and impossible to merge back in Chromium.

Smooth-scrolling is about replacing the old step-by-step scrolling of Chromium. Enabling the smooth-scroll flag should do nothing, since it's default. Turning it off will remove the scrolling animation in some cases (for example, using Page Up or Page Down to navigate a web site).

Microsoft is using a different flag for edge-like scrolling (edge-experimental-scrolling). It's also on by default in Edge. I also think this work has landed in Chromium recently. 

Here is the commit: https://chromium-review.googlesource.com/c/chromium/src/+/1906299

Those flags are mostly for scrolling personality. Performance improvements are made elsewhere.