Dev channel update to 80.0.334.2 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE 2:  We published 334.4 today to more broadly disable favorites sync, which should fix some sync-related crashes that users have been experiencing.  

UPDATE:  We published 334.3 today to fix an issue where navigation on some websites was taking an extraordinarily long time for some users.  We're also hoping to publish another small revision next week to fix a couple of known crashes.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 80.0.334.2 to the Dev channel!  The most important thing to know this week is that, after last week’s sync issues, we’ve temporarily disabled favorites sync to prevent any more duplication.  As for the other noteworthy changes: 

Added features: 

• Added a right-click option to sort individual favorites folders by name from the Favorites management page.
  • Added a new setting to always use Strict Tracking Prevention inside InPrivate windows.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed a crash on launch.
  • Fixed an issue where searching from the address bar sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed a SmartScreen crash when downloading certain items.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting context menu items on certain favorites entries causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where renaming a Collection sometimes crashes the Collections pane.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows sometimes crash upon startup.
  • Fixed an issue where navigation fails in Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where closing tabs that contain websites that are blocked by SmartScreen sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where deleted or edited favorites aren’t synced properly, causing the edit to be undone when it syncs back down.
  • Fixed an issue where syncing gets stuck in the “Setting up sync” state on browser startup.
  • Fixed an issue where processes that grow too large and stop working aren’t automatically fixed.
  • Fixed an issue where sync sometimes fails after restoring tabs after a browser crash.
  • Fixed an issue where large Collections aren’t properly exported to Word.
  • Fixed an issue where exporting a Collection to Excel sometimes fails.
  • Reduced the number of times a user needs to sign out and sign back into the browser in order to fix sync.

Changed behavior: 

• Temporarily disabled the ability to export Collections to Word and Excel on Mac.
  • Temporarily disabled one form of DRM support on ARM64, which may impact the ability to play certain DRM-protected videos.
  • Fixed an issue where windows that are minimized when the browser is restarted aren’t restored properly.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix playback fails with error D7356.
  • Fixed an issue where the space bar doesn’t work when typing in the address bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the enter key doesn’t work when typing in the address bar.
  • Fixed an issue where the Windows Hello prompt to log into a website with the user’s OS credentials sometimes shows in an infinite loop.
  • Fixed an issue for users of work and school accounts where websites that try and fail to use the browser profile’s credentials to log in don’t subsequently allow the user to fall back and try the user’s OS credentials.
  • Improved the way Collections export images to Word documents.
  • Fixed an issue where items sometimes fail to be added to Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where webpage contents sometimes render all black if Collections is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where adding certain images to Collections results in a card with a broken image.
  • Fixed an issue where PWAs installed for one user on a machine sometimes can’t be launched by other users on the machine.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where feedback screenshots can’t be included when submitting feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where link context menus don’t show all the options if they’re opened via the keyboard instead of the mouse.
  • Fixed an issue where some websites that are pinned to the Task Bar launch new tabs instead of activating existing tabs when tabs with those websites already exist.
  • Fixed an issue where open tabs aren’t properly imported from Chrome.
  • Fixed an issue where the wrong icon appears on web notifications.

Known issues: 

• There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Last month, some users got a “Work” account automatically added to the browser that wasn’t removable. Although we recently enabled the ability for some users to remove this account, there’s still an issue where users who are signed into Windows with a work or school account may not be able to remove that account from the browser. 
  • Clicking a link on one virtual desktop currently opens a new tab in a window on a different virtual desktop if there’s no window open on the current desktop but there is on another. This is a regression from past behavior, which opened a new window on the current desktop. 
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix.  Additionally, after getting the update for the new icon, there are still places on the Start Menu, for example when searching, that still show the old icon. Other places like the Task Bar may be able to be fixed by un-pinning and then re-pinning any Edge shortcuts that already exist there. 
  • Sometimes the browser will appear to not respond to any user input (clicking or scrolling in webpages doesn’t do anything, hovering over UI doesn’t make it change), but clicking on certain buttons still works (like the … menu). The cause of this is due to an error in the GPU process, and opening the browser task manager (right-click near the window minimize/maximize/close buttons or hit shift+esc on the keyboard) will open a window that will allow you to end the GPU process, which will fix the issue.  This issue was inherited from upstream Chromium, and a fix for it just went in upstream, so the next Dev update should have it.

We won’t be updating next week due to the holidays, but in the meantime we’re very thankful for all your feedback and suggestions! 

60 Replies

@vista_fan89 

Apparently they are aware of the GPU problem, but so far no fix.

@Jordan Paris 

@josh_bodner 

I am also facing same situation, I tried 'Reset Setting' as well and still very slow loading.

This forced me to go back to chrome now for time being.

@credulos I hope they fix the GPU issue ASAP, it should be their bugfix priority, because it greatly harms the experience.

@josh_bodner 

Major issues encountered:

Page load times are awful --> I've moved to Brave only for now.

UI doesn't always respond to clicks as per your GPU note above.

Scrolling still horrible.

On the bright side, I haven't seen the intermittent crashing when testing phishing links that I had prior to this update.

@josh_bodner 

Crash on Startup:

Process: Microsoft Edge Canary [6043]
Path: /Applications/Microsoft Edge Canary.app/Contents/MacOS/Microsoft Edge Canary
Identifier: com.microsoft.edgemac.Canary
Version: 80.0.340.0 (80.340.1911200)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Microsoft Edge Canary [6043]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2019-11-22 20:06:50.027 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G10017)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: 11E9AB5D-3FA0-D5B3-80B2-BD63FE863442

Time Awake Since Boot: 93000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 CrBrowserMain Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00002121212121e1

Mac OS X High Sierra

clipboard_image_0.png

@josh_bodner It seems like this update has actually fixed the virtual desktops issue! :)

Hi @josh_bodner 

while working on the favorites syncing, can you please include "show icon only" attribute of the favorites too? currently the sync engine doesn't recognize it and reverts them back every time

@josh_bodner On another note, was it intentional for the title bars of "apps" (but not the main browser) to become so tall?

I think it makes them look a lot better - more like (but not identical to) native Windows Store apps. @adrianghc 

@millermk At least for me with 125% scaling, they are far too tall for that. Compare these two (the red close button makes it more apparent):

clipboard_image_2.png

clipboard_image_3.png

Actually, the old size was closer to that of UWP app title bars for me. But maybe that's because my scaling is different than yours.

Yeah it's so thicc now!
on focus mode it's the same.

@adrianghc You make a good point (which is why i mentioned closer). I think I associate big with store and small with desktop, even if it's too big, but I'd love to see the title bar match store apps exactly as suggested by adrianghc, and also to see some margin/padding between the close button and the window title (again, to match store apps).

E.g. see YouTube Music running as edge installed app and Microsoft News running as store app:

clipboard_image_0.png

Edge will crash when adding a page to a Collection now. Didn't have any issues with this so far.
The page is added just before the crash, so after a restart it's available in the Collection.
tabs grouping doesn't working in latest canary version, is it planned feature downgrade or a bug?

@royamicus185 

@royamicus185 wrote:
tabs grouping doesn't working in latest canary version, is it planned feature downgrade or a bug?

Hi,

it didn't go anywhere, try to enable this flag

Annotation 2019-11-26 141150.png

this big title bar started appearing since 2-3 weeks ago, I remember it wasn't so big before that.

I think it's another thing that is caused by a change (unwanted one) in Chromium source.
I just checked Google Chrome canary's UI in focus mode and PWA mode, they look the same, big like that.

at first Edge insider had its own small nice UI but unfortunately Chromium affected it..

doesn't work even with this flag(

@royamicus185 

did you try this?

Annotation 2019-11-27 102618.png

.346 has fixed the crash on startup.  Looks like it was related to the Information/News tab.  If I was *real* quick and closed it as soon as I could I could then open a new blank window.  .346 is working normally.

@royamicus185 

Actually, it is.  Did you enable its flag?

GpsFlag.jpg

Cheers,
Drew