Dev channel update to 80.0.320.3 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE 3:  320.5 has been released with the fix for Netflix not working.  

UPDATE 2:  320.4 has been released with the fix for the Task Bar icons issue.  The Netflix issue is expected to be fixed in another update tomorrow.  

UPDATE:  We're expecting to release a small update in the next day or two to fix an issue where users with multiple browser profiles still see the old Edge icon on the Task Bar, and an issue where Netflix doesn't work.  

Hello insiders, we’ve got some big news today!  With today’s Dev Channel update to 80.0.320.3, we’re officially releasing a new icon for all Microsoft Edge channels.  You can read more about it here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/11/04/edge-chromium-release-candidate-get-ready.  That page also contains a date, January 15th, which is when we expect to release our first Stable Channel build, at which point Edge will be generally available to download on Windows and Mac. 

Some of you may have noticed a cryptic update last week.  That was part of a series of puzzles that hundreds of insiders participated in over the past weekend.  The puzzles culminated in a surfing game hidden inside Edge, and the reward for beating it was the chance to see the new icon before anybody else.  You can click here for instructions on how to unlock the game, or just search Twitter for #FindWhatsNext to try solving some of the puzzles! 

With all of these exciting announcements, we do have a few known issues that are still in this week’s build: 

• Extensions that are installed from the Chrome Web Store aren’t getting automatically updated. We expect the fix for this issue to be in today’s Canary and next week’s Dev. 
  • The fix for the issue where Edge’s first launch leads to a blank white window didn’t make it into this week’s build. We now expect it next week. 
  • There are some issues where users with multiple audio output devices sometimes don’t get any sound from Edge. In one case, Edge becomes muted in the Windows Volume Mixer and unmuting it fixes it.  In another, restarting the browser fixes it. 
  • At certain zoom levels, there is a noticeable line between the browser UI and the web contents.
  • Some users were still seeing screenshots that are automatically taken by the feedback tool turn out garbled or all black. Another potential fix for this is expected next week. 
  • Jumplist entries are not consistent between the Start Menu and the Task Bar for some users. We believe this is due to the shortcut on the Start Menu not getting migrated properly after an Edge update and are working on a fix. 
  • Sometimes the browser will appear to not respond to any user input (clicking or scrolling in webpages doesn’t do anything, hovering over UI doesn’t make it change), but clicking on certain buttons still works (like the … menu). The cause of this is due to an error in the GPU process, and opening the browser task manager (right-click near the window minimize/maximize/close buttons or hit shift+esc on the keyboard) will open a window that will allow you to end the GPU process, which will fix the issue. 

And now, for all of the new things that are worth noting: 

Added features:

• Added the ability for websites installed as apps to be restored when a browser session is restored after update, crash, etc.
  • Added support for an upstream Chromium policy that allows a user to remember a decision to open a link using another application (for example, to join a meeting in Microsoft Teams).
  • Added support for periods in single-word intranet URLs.
  • Added the ability to delete Collections items using the Delete keyboard key.
  • Added a dialog for when browser sign-in is disabled by policy.

Improved reliability: 

• Fixed an issue where Edge crashes shortly after launch for some users if sync is enabled.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking the back button crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where editing text in the address bar sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed a browser crash when updating extensions.
  • Fixed an issue where using the built-in abusive ad blocker sometimes causes the browser to crash upon launch.
  • Fixed an issue where certain websites like YouTube rendered huge, making them unusable.
  • Fixed an issue where print preview does not load.
  • Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes don’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where right-clicking on a PDF sometimes causes the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating to certain webpages with videos causes the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows hang upon startup.
  • Fixed an issue where all Edge windows open completely white with no UI, but disabling Application Guard mitigates the issue.
  • Fixed an issue where certain DRM-protected videos don’t play.
  • Fixed an issue where certain protected videos like from Netflix don’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips don’t appear.
  • Improved the reliability of history and favorites items appearing in the address bar suggestions dropdown.
  • Improved the reliability of installation.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On stops working and users unexpectedly see a username/password prompt to log into websites.
  • Fixed an issue where two Edge shortcuts are sometimes on the Taskbar after an update.
  • Fixed an issue where Work profiles that were erroneously added to the browser were unremovable.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows open when the browser is launched even though they shouldn’t.
  • Fixed an issue where enabling Application Guard sometimes causes downloads to be blocked in non-Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience sometimes runs every time the browser is opened.
  • Fixed an issue where the profile Settings page has no way for the user to fix an issue with their browser sign-in when one is needed.
  • Fixed an issue where sync can’t be turned off while it’s in the “setting up” state.
  • Fixed an issue where certain UI buttons show $1 instead of their keyboard shortcut in their tooltip.
  • Fixed an issue where the favorites bar is shown when in full screen mode.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections content sometimes gets truncated.
  • Fixed an issue where Spellcheck squigglies appear in Collections items even though they aren’t actionable.
  • Fixed an issue where an incorrect image is used when adding certain webpages to a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking the button to open the text styles flyout in a Collection sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where text styling in a Collection isn’t applied properly when using the keyboard to do the selection.
  • Fixed the text style dropdown when editing text in a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections contents sometimes can’t be deleted.
  • Fixed an issue where the cancel button isn’t functional in certain Collections dialogs.
  • Fixed some issues with the Mac Touch Bar when working with multiple tabs at the same time.
  • Fixed an issue where open tabs sometimes aren’t properly imported from Chrome.
  • Fixed an issue where extensions aren’t sorted by name on the Extensions management page.
  • Improved compatibility of certain websites with Tracking Prevention.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge shortcuts were created in the wrong location in the Start menu.

Thank you to everybody who’s been using Edge over the past year.  With our GA just around the corner, we hope you know that this is just the beginning of our journey.  The Edge Insider program and builds will continue even when there’s a Stable build available, and your feedback on them will be as crucial as ever! 

299 Replies
Oh,
well I've had crashing problems since version .320 and now on .323 (Canary) it still continues, I thought it was similar to what I'm experiencing
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Edge-insider-crashing/td-p/982554

@josh_bodner 

Josh, this is all, certainly, terrific.  However, there is a rather serious situation, still, needing to be rectified and that is the multi desktop behavior.  Still, opening where, already, a browser open instead, of (staying) in the correct, presently used/viewed desktop.  Do we have an ETA on the fix for that?

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner Are there any changes planned in the favourites? Favourite button - The Favourite bar should be in the form of a folder, not a developed list. Other favorites - this should not be a folder, but a developed list. In general, the classic Edge solution in this area should be restored, because it is more convenient. The solution taken from Chrome is an inconvenient way to overgrow content over form. To the extent that it disqualifies me from using Edge as a basic browser for Firefox, which has a sensibly solved favorite - a button that gives direct access to the main favorites.

@kqf_chris 

thank you it helped me too

@Mitchris 

Hi Mitch,

You are not alone.  Many of use want what's in  Edge with the Favs button be carried over to Edge C.

Now, regarding "Other favorites". IF there is nothing in that, it disappears.  If nothing is added to it, it stays gone.  You may have nothing needed in there, presently or it's redundant stuff... at any rate, if all currently in there are deleted (albeit, 1 by 1) "Other favorites" will not show, anymore.

Cheers,
Drew

You can put all your favorites inside a Folder.
Also I think it will be good to be able to rename "Other favorites" to anything we want.
I have Edge Dev, no crash but my start page is Bing and i have picture of the day, and it is very slow to start.

@wigster 

I get this too. Edge Canary updated and opens fine; Edge Dev crashed on opening after the update restart, leaving an msedge.exe in the task manager, and crashes every open since, whether I end the msedge.exe from the last attempt first or not.

@Basaingeal The new icons are there.  If you're not seeing the updated design try removing Edge from the desktop and adding it again.  You should see the new icon in the start menu.  I'm running build 80.0.320.3 (Windows 64-bit)

Without the "Dev" label on the icon, right?

@HotCakeX No, it has the DEV tag.

If you're having trouble getting the icon to update (nothing already mentioned in this thread fixed it for me unfortunately), just sign out of Sync and straight back in, that's fixed it for me on all PCs I've tried so far (you won't lose anything, just make sure to not tick the option to clear your browsing data).

Weird, mine didn't when I went to the Edge dev install directory. only the clean version of new icon with any tags.
I had to give them custom names like Beta, Dev etc again

@wjrandon 

found all the custom icons

Annotation 2019-11-06 020706.png

@wigstersame for me too. Got both Dev and Canary installed on 2 PC's. After update of both versions on both PC's they crash on opening. I can get Canary to work after a close and open but Dev is just unusable...

@josh_bodner doesn't pertain to the desktop version so much but will the Android Edge client also be updated to the new icon? :smile:

From the all well known browsers why Edge beta is the second on this list? 
https://brave.com/brave-tops-browser-first-run-network-traffic-results/

@kqf_chris I talked with somebody on our identity team, and apparently there's still a known issue where, if you're signing into Windows with a work or school account, then that same account will get added as a profile in Edge that you can't remove.  Do you think this is what you're running into?  

@Drew1903 unfortunately no ETA on the fix since it's coming from upstream Chromium.  For what it's worth, our OS integration team does want to look into our support for virtual desktops more closely since we haven't done any work there ourselves yet, but the work isn't that high of a priority since virtual desktops were never super popular among Windows users.  

@andypat there are a few known crashes that we're tracking.  One of them is related to sync (a different issue than the one last week even though it's the same behavior), so if you can get to edge://settings/profiles/sync fast enough to disable sync that might help you.