Dev channel update to 79.0.309.11 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE:  We pushed another update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.11.  

UPDATE:  We just pushed an update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.7.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.309.5 to the Dev Channel!  You may notice that this is only one build away from last week’s Dev, and that’s because this is our candidate for our next Beta release, so we want to make sure it’s extra polished before we release it there.  However, that also means it’s a pretty light week this week in terms of notable changes. 

We do have one known issue right now, where Edge sometimes launches to a blank white window.  There are two possible causes.  If you launch another window and it’s fine, you shouldn’t ever see the issue again.  However, if subsequent windows are also blank, you’ll have to disable Application Guard in order to get Edge back into a working state.  We plan on releasing another update later this week in order to get us in sync with Chromium’s Beta, so the fix for that cause should be in the updated build. 

• Fixed a crash when logging into the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after completing the first run experience.
  • Fixed a hang during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the theme sometimes changes unexpectedly after the first run experience.
  • Fixed some issues with Application Guard windows not successfully opening.
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Application Guard windows to prevent them from hanging on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages don’t open in Application Guard windows even though they should.
  • Fixed an issue where files that should be downloaded in Application Guard windows aren’t.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra “Work” browser profile gets automatically created for some users (note that this may not remove the extra profile; a future fix will ensure that).
  • Fixed an issue where the Mac Touch Bar sometimes doesn’t show the proper content.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page constantly shows “looking for updates” without ever completing.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings are changeable even when they’re disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings that are supposed to be enabled by default are disabled after performing a settings reset.
  • Fixed an issue where the Delete button does not appear next to downloads that have been blocked by SmartScreen.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning not to close the browser because a download is in progress appears even though the user isn’t downloading anything.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are blocked by SmartScreen aren’t removed from history.
  • Improved scrolling behavior on the new tab page.
  • Fixed some issues with the PDF toolbar’s hiding behavior.
  • Fixed an issue where switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs leaves webpages at the wrong zoom level on certain devices.
  • Fixed an issue where no sites open in IE mode tabs when a certain combination of IE mode policies is applied.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips in Collections all say “collection content” instead of the actual content.
  • Fixed an issue where certain print preview content is hard to read in dark theme.

We’ll be back to normal next week, and it’s also Ignite!  Will we see any of you there?  In the meantime though, thanks to everybody who’s been using Edge and telling us everything you do and don’t like about it. 

134 Replies

@Dennis5mile 

And that makes our third dev update in a week. I don't see notable changes in .11, but I haven't looked particularly carefully.

I'm curious what version the new release candidate / beta channels are on: same 79.0.309.11 like dev?

If so, I'm surprised the release candidate won't have history syncing: judging by the sync issues we've seen so far, you'd think history syncing would need a lot more testing (between Android <-> PC <-> iOS <-> MacOS).

@HotCakeX @josh_bodner 

As I feared, with 79.x pused to beta I now have no sound enymore on this build.. So here ends my travels with Edge Insider.. It was fun while it lasted.

With this push, when using Edge and playing sound, it no longer shows up in sound settings for me either in Windows. Back to chrome I guess.. :\

That's really sad..
there are flags related to audio like:

Enable Hardware Audio Offload
Audio Focus Enforcement
Use realtime priority thread for Audio Worklet

in edge://flags/

that you could try but there is something in your Windows installation that is causing interference. of course you can get it fixed by refreshing your Windows but that's up to you.

I think it's related to Chromium source cause users in there are complaining about the same thing. it's sad that their issues effect us as well..

@HotCakeX 

Yeah, played with those, Unfortunately with no effect.. Oh well.. Chrome it is...

Yeah i guess..

@tgienger 

Strange thing is (maybe) that I seem to have the overlay in all 3 Channels w/ no flags involved.

Cheers,
Drew

The worst thing is that the devs are probably not aware of this issue about missing taskbar items and not tracking this bug

@paulheu as people have suspected, this is in fact a known Chromium bug that we're also tracking on our end where Chromium doesn't follow the default audio endpoint.  In some cases, restarting the browser will fix it, but if that doesn't help you, you could also try opening a ticket with our support agents to see if they've got any other tricks for getting you working again until we can get a fix in for this issue.  

Also @Limyx826 the dual icons on the taskbar is a known issue, and we're working on a fix.  

@josh_bodner 

Google search

Clicking on the magnifying glass on the left side of the search window does not respond

Dev version and new beta version both NG

Google search.jpg

@vy1618b wrote:

Google search

Clicking on the magnifying glass on the left side of the search window does not respond

Dev version and new beta version both NG

Google search.jpg

Maybe because you're already in that search section?

@Muschkin 

I just installed “79.0.309.11”. And also noticed Single Sign On is not working anymore. Does anybody know a solution ? As this is very annoying

Thanks a lot

@HotCakeX 

It doesn't react even if it changes to other words on this page.
Is the magnifying glass in the wrong position?
Clicking on the magnifying glass does not respond.
Click on the space to the right of the magnifying glass to react.

@josh_bodner 

Report from vy1618b

Is it really a bug in chromium?
I reported to chromium and received an answer.
Isn't it a bug in Edge?
Please check the following site.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1020547

Thank you, now I understand!
it's definitely a bug, a weird one.

so in Edge insider Canary (Version 80.0.320.0 (Official build) canary (64-bit))
that Magnifying glass icon to initiate search does not work, user needs to click a bit on the right side of it to work.

on Google chrome Version 78.0.3904.87 (Official Build) (64-bit), it works fine.