Dev channel update to 79.0.309.11 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE:  We pushed another update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.11.  

UPDATE:  We just pushed an update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.7.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.309.5 to the Dev Channel!  You may notice that this is only one build away from last week’s Dev, and that’s because this is our candidate for our next Beta release, so we want to make sure it’s extra polished before we release it there.  However, that also means it’s a pretty light week this week in terms of notable changes. 

We do have one known issue right now, where Edge sometimes launches to a blank white window.  There are two possible causes.  If you launch another window and it’s fine, you shouldn’t ever see the issue again.  However, if subsequent windows are also blank, you’ll have to disable Application Guard in order to get Edge back into a working state.  We plan on releasing another update later this week in order to get us in sync with Chromium’s Beta, so the fix for that cause should be in the updated build. 

• Fixed a crash when logging into the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after completing the first run experience.
  • Fixed a hang during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the theme sometimes changes unexpectedly after the first run experience.
  • Fixed some issues with Application Guard windows not successfully opening.
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Application Guard windows to prevent them from hanging on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages don’t open in Application Guard windows even though they should.
  • Fixed an issue where files that should be downloaded in Application Guard windows aren’t.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra “Work” browser profile gets automatically created for some users (note that this may not remove the extra profile; a future fix will ensure that).
  • Fixed an issue where the Mac Touch Bar sometimes doesn’t show the proper content.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page constantly shows “looking for updates” without ever completing.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings are changeable even when they’re disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings that are supposed to be enabled by default are disabled after performing a settings reset.
  • Fixed an issue where the Delete button does not appear next to downloads that have been blocked by SmartScreen.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning not to close the browser because a download is in progress appears even though the user isn’t downloading anything.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are blocked by SmartScreen aren’t removed from history.
  • Improved scrolling behavior on the new tab page.
  • Fixed some issues with the PDF toolbar’s hiding behavior.
  • Fixed an issue where switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs leaves webpages at the wrong zoom level on certain devices.
  • Fixed an issue where no sites open in IE mode tabs when a certain combination of IE mode policies is applied.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips in Collections all say “collection content” instead of the actual content.
  • Fixed an issue where certain print preview content is hard to read in dark theme.

We’ll be back to normal next week, and it’s also Ignite!  Will we see any of you there?  In the meantime though, thanks to everybody who’s been using Edge and telling us everything you do and don’t like about it. 

134 Replies

@Serhan86 

@Serhan86 wrote:
Good, especially the ones that installed the stable version of Edge, can uninstall it now and return to the Edge Classic.

That's a very great news :smile:

now I can install the stable version with more confidence 

@Serhan86 

@Serhan86 wrote:

Although it is not officially announced, if you google "microsoft edge stable download" you get the link from search results directly from Microsoft Servers. (no spoofing, no phishing). The link is alive more than 2 weeks and is still now. They want us to use it and see the results of it. Since the stable version is same as the dev version v79.0.309.7, we can uninstall it now. And I did it for me. All the things that happened was a plan of phased release.

That's all true.

1.png

2.png

3.png

5.png

Annotation 2019-11-01 115632.png

@berto82 

@berto82 wrote:
What's new with the latest dev build of Chromium Edge? Asking because I got the update this past Tuesday which is 79.0.309.5 and now just got notified that there is another update. Whats new with this update? I do not see a change log posted.

Those minor updates are probably small bug fixes, all the major changes and new features are posted above :)

Actually Beta is going to receive it's 2nd update, Not 1st.

Beta received it's 1st update back in September 25th 2019.

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2080386

@josh_bodner wrote:

@chandr1000 were any of your windows minimized?  We recently found a bug in upstream Chromium that causes windows that are minimized to not be restored, that may be what you're hitting.  

@josh_bodnerYes, all of missing browser windows are minimized. Is there a bug fix in the newest Chromium Edge update?

My overlay scrollbars are gone and I can't turn them back on...
Just a reminder that the scrollbar availability can be down to the designer of the web page or ad.
Yup, its 7 thanks. Just fixes.

Freaking hell, the overlay scrolling is dropped. Should've not updated my Edge, bloody hell.

@Deleted 

Hmmm, yet, strangely enough (in that case), I have it and w/ no flag, (that doesn't exist).

current-channel-logo@1x.pngMicrosoft Edge

Check.jpg    Microsoft Edge is up to date.
Version 79.0.309.7 (Official build) dev (64-bit)

scrollbar.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

On which website?

@HotCakeX @josh_bodner @Drew1903 

my Dev just got updated to,  "Version 79.0.309.11 (Official build) dev (64-bit)"

Dennis5mile

Also been updated to 79.0.309.11.

@josh_bodner

Interesting, I just noticed that, in version 79.0.309.7, Microsoft added the "Force Dark Mode for Web Contents" flag to the Dev channel:

FDMWC Dev trim.png

In the previous version (79.0.309.5), the flag doesn't appear:

FDMWC Dev trim .5.png

In Canary, Microsoft added that flag only until version 80.0.317.1. I wonder if, after the success and the good reception that the flag had on the Canary channel, Microsoft decided to release that small update on the Dev channel just to add that flag.

@leopeva64-2_

Leo, I use/like Dark Mode.  This will fit in nicely after, I take a couple of minutes to get used to it :lol:

But, seriously, it's pretty cool :cool: and the continuity is great, indeed.  I do like it, though.

And, yes, it is available for Dev AND it IS available for Canary.  This is current Canary

Dark flag.jpg

NB: Sometimes some bits of text can't be seen, though... and that can present a wee problem.  However, things like that CAN be made show with a little cleverness with highlighting, can make those visible.

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner 

Well this issue is not solve by now at least for me. 

Same old, same oldSame old, same oldDual icon on taskbarDual icon on taskbarThe one with tasks is from start menuThe one with tasks is from start menuThis is todayThis is today

This kind of dark mode is still forced.
the type of dark mode that website developers design and present it to the users based on their browser theme is far more better. one of those sites doing this is windowscentral

No, it's down to me turning on a flag that is no longer available. The overlay scroll bar option is no longer available and that's a no no in my book. @HotCakeX