Dev channel update to 79.0.309.11 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE:  We pushed another update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.11.  

UPDATE:  We just pushed an update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.7.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.309.5 to the Dev Channel!  You may notice that this is only one build away from last week’s Dev, and that’s because this is our candidate for our next Beta release, so we want to make sure it’s extra polished before we release it there.  However, that also means it’s a pretty light week this week in terms of notable changes. 

We do have one known issue right now, where Edge sometimes launches to a blank white window.  There are two possible causes.  If you launch another window and it’s fine, you shouldn’t ever see the issue again.  However, if subsequent windows are also blank, you’ll have to disable Application Guard in order to get Edge back into a working state.  We plan on releasing another update later this week in order to get us in sync with Chromium’s Beta, so the fix for that cause should be in the updated build. 

• Fixed a crash when logging into the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after completing the first run experience.
  • Fixed a hang during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the theme sometimes changes unexpectedly after the first run experience.
  • Fixed some issues with Application Guard windows not successfully opening.
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Application Guard windows to prevent them from hanging on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages don’t open in Application Guard windows even though they should.
  • Fixed an issue where files that should be downloaded in Application Guard windows aren’t.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra “Work” browser profile gets automatically created for some users (note that this may not remove the extra profile; a future fix will ensure that).
  • Fixed an issue where the Mac Touch Bar sometimes doesn’t show the proper content.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page constantly shows “looking for updates” without ever completing.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings are changeable even when they’re disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings that are supposed to be enabled by default are disabled after performing a settings reset.
  • Fixed an issue where the Delete button does not appear next to downloads that have been blocked by SmartScreen.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning not to close the browser because a download is in progress appears even though the user isn’t downloading anything.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are blocked by SmartScreen aren’t removed from history.
  • Improved scrolling behavior on the new tab page.
  • Fixed some issues with the PDF toolbar’s hiding behavior.
  • Fixed an issue where switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs leaves webpages at the wrong zoom level on certain devices.
  • Fixed an issue where no sites open in IE mode tabs when a certain combination of IE mode policies is applied.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips in Collections all say “collection content” instead of the actual content.
  • Fixed an issue where certain print preview content is hard to read in dark theme.

We’ll be back to normal next week, and it’s also Ignite!  Will we see any of you there?  In the meantime though, thanks to everybody who’s been using Edge and telling us everything you do and don’t like about it. 

134 Replies

@adrianghc Thanks for keeping me honest!  

The virtual desktops issue is actually a regression in upstream Chromium that we inherited, so we're waiting on the fix to be made up there too.  No word on when that's going to happen though.  

We also are investigating the cause for the inconsistent jumplists depending on which shortcut you click, but don't have a fix in for it yet.  

@chandr1000 were any of your windows minimized?  We recently found a bug in upstream Chromium that causes windows that are minimized to not be restored, that may be what you're hitting.  

@paulheu I'm curious if you could install Canary and see if your audio is muted there.  If so, that's a pretty clear indication that there's an Edge bug we need to dig into, and if not, there still may have been, but it could have been fixed recently.  

@vy1618b I think the bug you're seeing is coming from upstream Chromium, and you can verify that by installing Chrome's Canary and see if the extension behaves the same way as it does in Edge Dev.  If so, we'll need to wait on a fix from the Chromium side.  

Hi @josh_bodner 

Is there any plan to prevent that in the future? I'm talking about the direct effect that a 3rd party has over Microsoft Edge browser, and that 3rd party is Google with their Chromium code.

Can Microsoft take the current state of Chromium source, create a fork or parallel project of it, and then develop new features for it discretely? without intervention of Google?

this way it will be kept open source, people can help improve it but it will be the Microsoft who will decide which changes are allowed to be accepted and which changes aren't.

I honestly think it's a big deal to do this.

@josh_bodner Thank you very much for getting back to me. It's too bad issues from upstream get passed on to Edge, but I guess that's one of the disadvantages one has to deal with. At least this way there are two parties interested in fixing the bug and not only one, so fingers crossed we'll see the fix soon!

@Drew1903 Actually, it appears that I was mistaken. The flag for the overlay scrollbars was removed from Chromium dev builds v78 and up. The reason the overlay scrollbar appears to be the default for you and I is simply that we had the flag set when we updated to the version where the flag is removed from edge://flags. However, the default behavior seems to be in fact to the old-school scrollbars, not the overlay scrollbars.

@josh_bodner scrollbar is not working with mouse after zooming with touchscreen

@josh_bodner 

I tried Canary and issue is there as well.. No sound at all.

@paulheu 

Paul, do you have another machine, computer that you can see if you have audio in that environment?  It has to be something preventing sound besides the Channels themselves.  A 'bug' is not going to affect only just one 1 person.

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

@Drew1903 @josh_bodner 

Actually a bug can affect a few or even a single person if it only happens in a specific situation.

Here's my setup:

3700X/RTX2080 32GB

RME HDSPe AIO audio

Synchronous Audio Router which provides virtual audio targets on top of the ASIO driver for the RME card

Current WIN10 version

Default audio target is a virtual device called "Applications"

Any browser works in this setup except Edge DEV and as now found Canary.

When I look at Sound settings, on playing audio using any working browser I see the browser show up in the list, on Edge DEV and Canary this does not happen. 

I tried to specifically route the Canary and DEV applications to a target in SAR but this also did not work.

It may be unique to my environment, yes very likely in fact. IMO it is still a bug in the DEV channel though and my fear is that this will translate to the Beta channel once it is updated and that will mean I will no longer be able to use Edge.

@adrianghc 

I am not quite sure that follows, exactly, since, I don't believe I ever had the overlay flag enabled, actually, I know I did not.  And (now) it, the scroll bar, is not hiding in any of the 3 Channels.

Cheers,
Drew

Good, especially the ones that installed the stable version of Edge, can uninstall it now and return to the Edge Classic.
It is also updated to the same version with the dev channel.

@Serhan86 

I can't tie this to whatever it is referring or responding.  But, I cannot bite my tongue, either.  There is no stable version and anyone who installed a premature leaked one should not have.  Just couldn't restrain myself.  Deja vu... reminds of people who replaced their OSs with beta "Preview"/Insider Builds or leaked RTMs or something... that, always, worked out SO well :facepalm::unamused:.

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 Although it is not officially announced, if you google "microsoft edge stable download" you get the link from search results directly from Microsoft Servers. (no spoofing, no phishing). The link is alive more than 2 weeks and is still now. They want us to use it and see the results of it. Since the stable version is same as the dev version v79.0.309.7, we can uninstall it now. And I did it for me. All the things that happened was a plan of phased release.

@Serhan86 

And Canary is 80.xxxxxxx whilst, Beta which, updates every 6 weeks is about to receive its 1st update... We are a long way time-wise from an (official) Stable or GA release.  Even if a so-called one is accessible, now.  That's my humble view, anyway, that there are 3 Channels, presently, for consideration and leave it at that, for the time being, at least.  I feel anything else, currently, is jumping the gun, so to speak.  Maybe, that perception is wrong or unnecessary, but, I prefer to stick with it.

Cheers,
Drew

What's new with the latest dev build of Chromium Edge? Asking because I got the update this past Tuesday which is 79.0.309.5 and now just got notified that there is another update. Whats new with this update? I do not see a change log posted.

@berto82 

Hi Bert,

I'm fairly certain 7 is mostly backend tweaks & subtleties, tidying things up before & since Beta is about to update; as opposed to any major superficial changes or additions not listed for 5

Cheers,
Drew

That's odd, the new update should have done a better job cleaning the old flags..

@paulheu 

@paulheu wrote:

Actually a bug can affect a few or even a single person if it only happens in a specific situation.

Here's my setup:

3700X/RTX2080 32GB

RME HDSPe AIO audio

Synchronous Audio Router which provides virtual audio targets on top of the ASIO driver for the RME card

Current WIN10 version

Default audio target is a virtual device called "Applications"

Any browser works in this setup except Edge DEV and as now found Canary.

When I look at Sound settings, on playing audio using any working browser I see the browser show up in the list, on Edge DEV and Canary this does not happen. 

I tried to specifically route the Canary and DEV applications to a target in SAR but this also did not work.

It may be unique to my environment, yes very likely in fact. IMO it is still a bug in the DEV channel though and my fear is that this will translate to the Beta channel once it is updated and that will mean I will no longer be able to use Edge.

Yes you're right, it is very possible that the issue will be shipped to the Beta channel soon.

and you said audio works in Chrome and other browsers which proves your setup is alright, but only Edge insider has problem.

I used to use a similar audio setup like you before, not everybody is supposed to use the default settings.

@Drew1903 wrote:

I am not quite sure that follows, exactly, since, I don't believe I ever had the overlay flag enabled, actually, I know I did not.  And (now) it, the scroll bar, is not hiding in any of the 3 Channels.

The flag was there and now removed,

even Google chrome users are complaining

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/14340482?hl=en