Dev channel update to 79.0.309.11 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE:  We pushed another update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.11.  

UPDATE:  We just pushed an update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.7.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.309.5 to the Dev Channel!  You may notice that this is only one build away from last week’s Dev, and that’s because this is our candidate for our next Beta release, so we want to make sure it’s extra polished before we release it there.  However, that also means it’s a pretty light week this week in terms of notable changes. 

We do have one known issue right now, where Edge sometimes launches to a blank white window.  There are two possible causes.  If you launch another window and it’s fine, you shouldn’t ever see the issue again.  However, if subsequent windows are also blank, you’ll have to disable Application Guard in order to get Edge back into a working state.  We plan on releasing another update later this week in order to get us in sync with Chromium’s Beta, so the fix for that cause should be in the updated build. 

• Fixed a crash when logging into the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after completing the first run experience.
  • Fixed a hang during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the theme sometimes changes unexpectedly after the first run experience.
  • Fixed some issues with Application Guard windows not successfully opening.
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Application Guard windows to prevent them from hanging on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages don’t open in Application Guard windows even though they should.
  • Fixed an issue where files that should be downloaded in Application Guard windows aren’t.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra “Work” browser profile gets automatically created for some users (note that this may not remove the extra profile; a future fix will ensure that).
  • Fixed an issue where the Mac Touch Bar sometimes doesn’t show the proper content.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page constantly shows “looking for updates” without ever completing.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings are changeable even when they’re disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings that are supposed to be enabled by default are disabled after performing a settings reset.
  • Fixed an issue where the Delete button does not appear next to downloads that have been blocked by SmartScreen.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning not to close the browser because a download is in progress appears even though the user isn’t downloading anything.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are blocked by SmartScreen aren’t removed from history.
  • Improved scrolling behavior on the new tab page.
  • Fixed some issues with the PDF toolbar’s hiding behavior.
  • Fixed an issue where switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs leaves webpages at the wrong zoom level on certain devices.
  • Fixed an issue where no sites open in IE mode tabs when a certain combination of IE mode policies is applied.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips in Collections all say “collection content” instead of the actual content.
  • Fixed an issue where certain print preview content is hard to read in dark theme.

We’ll be back to normal next week, and it’s also Ignite!  Will we see any of you there?  In the meantime though, thanks to everybody who’s been using Edge and telling us everything you do and don’t like about it. 

134 Replies

@Neon01 don't worry, we're already tracking most of these bugs:  

The Netflix issue was fixed in a recent Canary, and should be fixed in the next Dev build as well.  

The SSO issue was also just fixed in Canary within the last day or two.  

The extra profile issue just got another fix put into our codebase so that, in Canary in a day or two, you should finally be able to remove the extra "Work" profile if one got added for you and you still aren't able to remove it.  

The muted sound issue is possibly due to a known design flaw in the way Windows handle's Chromium's different processes, and how it's not 1:1 with each tab (it's also been known to create different entries for difference devices, in case you have both headphones and a built-in speaker, for example).  I saw that @HotCakeX already mentioned this, but is it possible that some/all of Edge's processes are muted in the Windows volume mixer?  

The black line is a known issue that appeared in Canary recently, and since it's not affecting functionality, we prioritized fixing other bugs ahead of it.  Unfortunately, we waited long enough that it made it into Dev.  

The black screenshots were something that we made a partial fix for in a previous update, but it's obvious that there are still users that are running into this issue, so I'll make sure the team knows the fix wasn't complete.  

The extensions updating issue is currently being investigated by our extensions team, but if it makes you feel any better, it's affecting me too, so I'm personally invested in getting it figured out!  

Finally, the spontaneous Application Guard windows issue just had a fix go into Canary within the last day or two as well.  Hopefully this covers all the most prevalent things people have mentioned here!  

@josh_bodner Apologies if I'm being impertinent, but I noticed you said you're already tracking "most of these bugs" and then your elaborate list (thanks for that) missed the first two that I reported in the first post of this thread. :grinning_face_with_sweat: Are those two acknowledged as well? I'm talking about the virtual desktop issues and the ones with the shortcuts.

Help, Chromium Edge has stopped to restore all of my current session when it crashed.
It only restores 4 of 92 browser windows.

<Session Buddy> extension can read all the missing window in [Current Session] and it can restore & retain (suspended tab state, current scroll position, etc) some selected missing window.

Please fix it, I don't want to manual clicking <Focus> button feature 1 by 1 in the extension to restore 92 windows.

The issues happen after update and still persist on the latest Chromium Edge DEV version.

I'll follow up until they fixed the issues.

@josh_bodner 

No, no mutes, only one entry showing for edge in the mixer.

As mentioned, this is unique to the (current) dev builds and the beta build right now works fine which is why I am on that. Any other browser (including Chrome) is also fine.

@paulheu 

As I mentioned, I don't have this issue. Ergo...

Paul, please, try the following:

Remove Dev. Grab a fresh DL HERE. Then, re-install & see hear if any difference/improvement.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

@Drew1903 

Thanks, but as mentioned, this was done. In fact I did a full fresh install of Windows just to make sure I was not missing anything. DEV build outputs no audio for me at all, any other browser is fine.

That it works for you, probably on a stock audio environment is fine, the fact it is the only browser I try that does not work for me indicates there is an issue with the build, especially as it used to work fine a few builds back (it stopped working I think 4-5 or so builds ago) and it works as expected on the beta build.

@paulheu 

Mmm, I see... seems I'd missed where you had written that, ooops. :facepalm:  That suggestion was due to it being exclusive to Dev.  But, a moot point, anyway since, already, done.

And it stopped a few Builds ago... strange one, for sure... have to admit, regrettably, I don't know what to say or think with this one. Wish I had a helpful thought, but, has me stumped.  And, that's "stock" audio or not, still, rather bizarre, especially Dev & no other.  I do hope you can sort it or a future Build changes things.  Or that someone else has an apt idea.

Cheers,
Drew

For most of the problems you are facing, a browser reset would be the same as a browser reinstall, so don't bother uninstall/reinstalling all the time.
it is possible that the extension you are using for restoring sessions is causing conflicts with Edge insider's own session restore feature

@josh_bodner - what are the chances of us getting a feature similar to what Vivaldi offers - "Notes"? It's a sidebar menu + a context menu feature. You can save any text into a note and then paste it onto any text field from a sub-menu in the context menu.

@josh_bodner 

In Dev, the display screen of the add-on "stylus" continues to be abnormal. Is there a plan to fix it?

Beta is displayed normally.

Dev.jpg

@AndrzejZ_IG 

@AndrzejZ_IG wrote:

@josh_bodner - what are the chances of us getting a feature similar to what Vivaldi offers - "Notes"? It's a sidebar menu + a context menu feature. You can save any text into a note and then paste it onto any text field from a sub-menu in the context menu.

I would say very high changes :)

Have a look:

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Top-feedback-summary-for-October-29/td-p/963366

"Inking for web pages", like the Edge classic, it is integrated with Microsoft OneNote

@AndrzejZ_IG 

Hi,

You are speaking of Add notes Add notes.jpg  It is one of the things that draw people to Edge.  And, the understanding is, that it will show in a future Build.  Supposedly, it is one of the items on the Team's agenda.  (And) Actually, Add notes can do heaps more in addition to grabbing text.

But, speaking of grabbing text... That can, actually, be done, now, since the last Update, in Edge C. using caret browsing.

CB.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@HotCakeX 

I don't think so.
Session restoration always working before. The feature was broken after the latest update.

Have you tried open 93 windows + 2124 tabs?

Nope because I don't need to.
Add notes is different than caret browsing though.

@HotCakeX wrote:

"Inking for web pages", like the Edge classic, it is integrated with Microsoft OneNote

I never had a chance to use that feature, but does it allow for just copying a piece of text? What I'm after is this:

clipboard_image_0.png

This is in the context menu of the browser, available for all text fields (with the "Copy to Note" being available on every instance of a selected text).

And the "Lorem ipsum" note is this:

clipboard_image_1.png

Editable through the Vivaldi side-bar.

The main features I'd love to have are: copying of text, having it available in the context menu as a sub-item (with possible sub-folders) and the ability to change the "header" of the note, as in the way it shows in the context menu.

@AndrzejZ_IG 

Spoiler

@AndrzejZ_IG wrote:

@HotCakeX wrote:

I never had a chance to use that feature, but does it allow for just copying a piece of text? What I'm after is this:

clipboard_image_0.png

This is in the context menu of the browser, available for all text fields (with the "Copy to Note" being available on every instance of a selected text).

And the "Lorem ipsum" note is this:

clipboard_image_1.png

Editable through the Vivaldi side-bar.

The main features I'd love to have are: copying of text, having it available in the context menu as a sub-item (with possible sub-folders) and the ability to change the "header" of the note, as in the way it shows in the context menu.

The thing is, it doesn't really matter how Add notes was in Edge classic, what matters is how Add notes (web page inking) is going to be implemented into this new Edge insider browser.

your suggestions are great and should be considered when Microsoft is implementing web page inking into the new Edge browser.

@AndrzejZ_IG 

Add notes allows for copying, saving & sharing textt & heaps more... images, crops, plus, User added notations or other mark-ups.

Anyway, aside from that, for now & newly introduced, you can copy text using caret browsing and it goes to Clipboard & can then be accessed via Win+V, whenever later.

CB.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

@Drew1903 

Add notes does it but in the classic Edge which in a month or two is going to be replaced by the new Edge insider. so no, there is no information whatsoever about how web page inking is going to look like in the new Edge browser.