Dev channel update to 79.0.309.11 is live

Microsoft

UPDATE:  We pushed another update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.11.  

UPDATE:  We just pushed an update, which now brings the build number to 79.0.309.7.  

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.309.5 to the Dev Channel!  You may notice that this is only one build away from last week’s Dev, and that’s because this is our candidate for our next Beta release, so we want to make sure it’s extra polished before we release it there.  However, that also means it’s a pretty light week this week in terms of notable changes. 

We do have one known issue right now, where Edge sometimes launches to a blank white window.  There are two possible causes.  If you launch another window and it’s fine, you shouldn’t ever see the issue again.  However, if subsequent windows are also blank, you’ll have to disable Application Guard in order to get Edge back into a working state.  We plan on releasing another update later this week in order to get us in sync with Chromium’s Beta, so the fix for that cause should be in the updated build. 

• Fixed a crash when logging into the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where typing in the address bar sometimes causes the browser to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes crashes after completing the first run experience.
  • Fixed a hang during the first run experience.
  • Fixed an issue where the theme sometimes changes unexpectedly after the first run experience.
  • Fixed some issues with Application Guard windows not successfully opening.
  • Disabled hardware acceleration in Application Guard windows to prevent them from hanging on certain machines.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpages don’t open in Application Guard windows even though they should.
  • Fixed an issue where files that should be downloaded in Application Guard windows aren’t.
  • Fixed an issue where an extra “Work” browser profile gets automatically created for some users (note that this may not remove the extra profile; a future fix will ensure that).
  • Fixed an issue where the Mac Touch Bar sometimes doesn’t show the proper content.
  • Fixed an issue where the Settings page constantly shows “looking for updates” without ever completing.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings are changeable even when they’re disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings that are supposed to be enabled by default are disabled after performing a settings reset.
  • Fixed an issue where the Delete button does not appear next to downloads that have been blocked by SmartScreen.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning not to close the browser because a download is in progress appears even though the user isn’t downloading anything.
  • Fixed an issue where websites that are blocked by SmartScreen aren’t removed from history.
  • Improved scrolling behavior on the new tab page.
  • Fixed some issues with the PDF toolbar’s hiding behavior.
  • Fixed an issue where switching between IE mode tabs and non-IE mode tabs leaves webpages at the wrong zoom level on certain devices.
  • Fixed an issue where no sites open in IE mode tabs when a certain combination of IE mode policies is applied.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips in Collections all say “collection content” instead of the actual content.
  • Fixed an issue where certain print preview content is hard to read in dark theme.

We’ll be back to normal next week, and it’s also Ignite!  Will we see any of you there?  In the meantime though, thanks to everybody who’s been using Edge and telling us everything you do and don’t like about it. 

134 Replies

@josh_bodner 

Hi Josh, 

was there a recent change to SSO behavior. For the last 2 releases Single Sign On stopped working for AD. 

Thanks

@Muschkin 

Hi,

I agree, same behavior for me also, since last 2 flights or so.

Why is SSO not working with AD?

Kind regards,

Krzysztof Sienkiewicz

@josh_bodner 

Still no sound at all on this dev build, current beta build is fine as is any other browser. Needless to say, if this issue translates into beta builds I am going to have to move back to Chrome however sad..

@josh_bodner 

Hello Josh, really hope the team is just kiddin' to make this version a beta, with all these unresolved issues: 

• The most annoying "automatic" sign-in with the magically created "work" profile, unable to sign-out or delete it and concurrently losing "profile 1" 
  • Virtual keyboard often not popping up on certain input-fields (especially login-/search-fields, e.g.  search in chrome web store). This issue came up first with the 80.0.x builds of canary, I think. 
  • Screenshots in feedback broken since numerous builds 
  • No automatic updates for extensions from the chrome web store 
  • Still no way to sort favorites on touch-devices with finger or pen 
  • The strange black line underneath the toolbar/favorites bar 

Shouldn't all this be fixed first before working on petty details like round or squared buttons? Sorry, just my opinion. 

Best regards

@josh_bodner For a few days, Edge started asking me for my credentials to access intranet pages. It was capable of authenticating without my input a couple of weeks ago.

@Neon01 

Spoiler

@Neon01 wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Hello Josh, really hope the team is just kiddin' to make this version a beta, with all these unresolved issues: 

• The most annoying "automatic" sign-in with the magically created "work" profile, unable to sign-out or delete it and concurrently losing "profile 1" 
  • Virtual keyboard often not popping up on certain input-fields (especially login-/search-fields, e.g.  search in chrome web store). This issue came up first with the 80.0.x builds of canary, I think. 
  • Screenshots in feedback broken since numerous builds 
  • No automatic updates for extensions from the chrome web store 
  • Still no way to sort favorites on touch-devices with finger or pen 
  • The strange black line underneath the toolbar/favorites bar 

Shouldn't all this be fixed first before working on petty details like round or squared buttons? Sorry, just my opinion. 

Best regards, Niels

You said nothing but the truth.

These bugs must be fixed without creating additional bugs somewhere else in the code of Edge insider browser.

@paulheu 

@paulheu wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Still no sound at all on this dev build, current beta build is fine as is any other browser. Needless to say, if this issue translates into beta builds I am going to have to move back to Chrome however sad..

Hi,

Have you tried resetting browser settings? edge://settings/reset

Maybe you muted a website but forgot to unmute it, or maybe Edge insider Dev is completely muted in your Windows settings. have you checked them? you can do so in Volume Mixer

@josh_bodner Thanks Team Edge Insider!! As silly as this might sound, you've won me over to the Microsoft platform entirely and devices too. Keep up the great work!!! Just love it. Thanks so much!! Your efforts are appreciated

@HotCakeX @josh_bodner 

yes, this is a clean install.. Any other browser works fine, DEV channel Edge has no sound..

Now, I do run a non standard setup using Synchronous Audio Router but I tested switching to standard driver with same result, no sound at all.

This is also not on a specific page, _any_ page has no sound.

@Muschkin 

I think SSO stopped when the extra 'domain' profile was created. The creation has been removed with this build, but the side-effect of not having SSO has not.

@Ed Leeuwen van I second this comment.

What's odd is that, at least for me on our Jira Server site, sso actually works for the site but the prompt within edge always comes up the first time its open in a session. Hitting ok just makes it repeat infinitely, hitting cancel and then opening a new tab has me signed in. On the other hand our internal confluence server that uses the same type of AD based sso method has the prompt but canceling ends in having to sign in manually. All of this was working flawlessly before. Perhaps it was adding this domain profile.

@HotCakeX 

Spoiler

@Neon01 

You said nothing but the truth.

These bugs must be fixed without creating additional bugs somewhere else in the code of Edge insider browser.

Thanks, nice to hear that from a dedicated user like you. 

Noticing with concern how this great project is slowly going down within the last weeks.

May I ask you a question? Being a power tablet user, I really miss two (imho) key features: swipe-in of the toolbar/addressbar in full-screen mode (like classic edge) and scrollable, touch-friendly tabs.
I've suggested this several times in here without great response, so what's your opinion? Am I expecting too much or do you think we both should try to up-vote this a bit? 

Best regards

@coolxxy @HotCakeX @Neon01 @josh_bodner 

I can confirm the black line bug below the browser chrome (i.e., the address bar). 1920 x 1080 13.3" @ 125% scaling. 

2019-10-30_11-18-22.png

2019-10-30_11-15-03.png

2019-10-30_11-14-13.png

Edge Version 79.0.309.5 (Official build) dev (64-bit). Will check other machines today.

EDIT: on a desktop system (24" 1920 x 1080, 100% scaling) running the same build as above, there is no black line.

2019-10-30_12-45-23.png

2019-10-30_12-47-56.png

@Neon01 

@Neon01 wrote:

Thanks, nice to hear that from a dedicated user like you. 

Noticing with concern how this great project is slowly going down within the last weeks.

May I ask you a question? Being a power tablet user, I really miss two (imho) key features: swipe-in of the toolbar/addressbar in full-screen mode (like classic edge) and scrollable, touch-friendly tabs.
I've suggested this several times in here without great response, so what's your opinion? Am I expecting too much or do you think we both should try to up-vote this a bit? 

Best regards, Niels

Thank you!

I have the same opinion as you, full-screen mode without address bar and tabs isn't very useful. Edge classic offers a true full-screen experience where users don't need to exit full-screen mode only to choose another tab or type something in the address bar.

Google chrome and now the new Microsoft Edge lack that functionality, I hope the new Edge implements it soon, preferably before stable release.

this deserves an upvote ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Now I see why I never noticed that line ( ಠ ͜ʖಠ)
because I use 100% scale, dark theme and always show bookmarks, lol.

@josh_bodner  Hi, Josh. I've been watching Netflix on Edge Dev, and after last update, i cant see any videos on netflix on Edge Dev. I deleted all caches and data, password, turned  off and on the browser, and also turned my desktop off and on, but none of things that i did didnt work at all. It's just loading and loading endlessly. Not any error messages came out, just keep showing me loading mark. I checked any videos and live streaming on youtube , and it worked fine. Only Streaming videos of Netflix on Edge dev had issue not like any other sites. Hope you guys fix this bug soon. 

@josh_bodner Hi, I saw that the issue with Netflix playback was reportedly fixed this week. However, I am still experiencing an issue with it. When I attempt to play something (I've tried with different shows/films, it happens with all of them), an error message is displayed (see attached screenshot) with the error code 'D9'. It's definitely Edge, not a different issue; I tried in Chrome and it worked fine. Any info on this? Hope it's fixed soon. Thanks.

@coolxxy I can confirm the black line with the same screen resolution.

@paulheu 

Paul, FWIW, audio is fine (for me) in Dev.

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

I've just got a bug out of the blue where every time I launch Edge Dev, an application guard window will launch alongside it. It wasn't there when I updated to the latest build and it's honestly sort of infuriating. What's up with that? Disabling and re-enabling the Application Guard feature didn't fix it.

EDIT: I fixed it by manually editing the Local State file where wdag["container_was_running"] was mistakenly set to true, so I set it to false. It seems that under certain scenarios, that value will get stuck on false.