Dev channel update to 79.0.308.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.308.1 to the Dev Channel!  The biggest news today comes from our sync team:  syncing of open tabs between devices is now available.  To see the tabs from your other devices, go to the History section of the … menu.  Additionally, users with work or school accounts can now sync their data to Mac devices.  Some of the other noteworthy changes for this week include: 

Added features:

• Added initial annotation features to PDFs.
  • Added support for using a pen/stylus to move and resize windows.
  • Improved the browser sign-in experience and added new profile icons.
  • Added an error dialog for when the browser is in a state where it can’t be signed into (for example, when running as an Administrator).
  • Added a link to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard from within Settings.
  • Added text indicating if a window is InPrivate or Guest to the tooltip that appears when hovering over the Taskbar icon.
  • Added the ability to edit the names of items in Collections.
  • Added more links to documentation from within the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Added more icons to certain places in the browser such as context menus.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed a crash when signing into the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where trying to print a PDF crashes the tab.
  • Fixed an issue where navigating within an IE tab sometimes causes a browser crash.
  • Fixed a hang when using IE mode tabs.
  • Fixed an issue where clicking on the prompt to restart Edge to apply an update causes a hang on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge would randomly crash.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows fail to open with no indication as to why.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows fail to navigate to websites.
  • Fixed a crash when using Application Guard.
  • Fixed an issue where checking for Edge updates results in the following error: “We couldn't create that component (error code 3: 0x80080005 -- system level)”.
  • Fixed an issue where users can’t click on certain browser UI while the print dialog is open.
  • Fixed an issue where logging into the browser fails because the Sign In button isn’t functional.
  • Fixed an issue where sync doesn’t work, and users unexpectedly had to sign into the browser again in order to restore sync.
  • Fixed an issue where syncing doesn’t work after a user signs into the browser and tries to customize which types of data to sync.
  • Fixed an issue where protected video like on Netflix doesn’t work on ARM devices.

Changed behavior:

• Temporarily removed the “Block” autoplay media blocking option due to certain websites not being blocked properly. This can be re-enabled with a flag. 
  • Temporarily removed the UI for sync options that haven't been implemented yet, so they don’t appear constantly disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge icons on the Taskbar, Desktop, Task Manager, etc. are incorrect or missing.
  • Fixed an issue where video playback on certain sites like Xfinity would appear blocky or scrambled. Note that there is still an active bug with similar behavior. 
  • Fixed an issue where adding a new folder to Favorites from the Favorites management page isn’t possible because the Save button is disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where Flash doesn’t work on certain webpages in Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots appear all black.
  • Fixed an issue where importing settings from Chrome causes webpage text to be smaller than normal.
  • Fixed an issue where Reading View doesn’t properly support right-to-left languages.
  • Fixed an issue where zooming doesn’t work in Reading View on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where some buttons appeared circular when they’re hovered over instead of square/rectangular.
  • Fixed an issue where tooltips sometimes don’t draw their entire border properly.
  • Fixed an issue where signing into the browser with an account that has no picture doesn’t properly set the browser’s profile picture to the default avatar if a profile picture was previously set for the profile.
  • Fixed an issue where copy/paste doesn’t work in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where adding the current webpage to a Collection fails.
  • Fixed an issue where the Tab key has unexpected behavior in certain areas of a Collection.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections exported to Word have extra artifacts added to the documents.
  • Fixed an issue where reordering items in Collections via the keyboard doesn’t work properly.
  • Fixed an issue where downloads blocked by SmartScreen don’t have the button to delete them straight from the Downloads shelf.
  • Fixed an issue where changing which content is shown on the new tab page sometimes causes the wrong favicon to be shown on the tab.
  • Fixed an issue where “Your organization has turned off sync” messages appear when they shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where the number of InPrivate windows currently open isn’t displayed next to the InPrivate indicator in the toolbar.
  • Fixed an issue where the arrow keys sometimes don’t work in PDF documents.
  • Fixed an issue where the search engine imported from the existing version of Edge isn’t set as the default search engine after import.
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback dialog window control buttons appear to be blurry.
  • Fixed an issue where Windows Firewall prompts appear inside Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where the user’s name when signed into the browser has “Profile 1” appended to it.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience greets users as “Profile 1” instead of their name.
  • Fixed an issue where the first run experience sometimes appears on top of web page content instead of on a new tab.
  • Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools on Mac sometimes doesn’t use the proper theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools feedback smiley face doesn’t render properly in light theme.
  • Fixed an issue where two “Initiator” tabs are visible in the F12 Dev Tools Network pane.

As always, we appreciate all the feedback and suggestions you send us.  Thanks for using Edge! 

70 Replies

@josh_bodner I am getting black screen on twitter videos.

When will audio output be fixed?

I'm getting no audio from the dev branch, beta is fine and so is any other browser.

@atifchy 

I hate to tell you, but, mine are fine & normal.

Also, I saw someone say they have no audio output.  That is, also, fine & normal, for myself.

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

this is probably more of a chrome or windows10 issue since it happened with chrome also. after some update, or maybe even recent win10 update, the right click options on the taskbar icon will disappear. If I create a brand new taskbar shortcut for edge or chrome, it will show the expected things like "new window", "new incognito window", etc. after i reboot my computer, right clicking those same taskbar shortcuts for edge or chrome will no longer show those items. It will only show edge or chrome, and "unpin from taskbar". other icons on taskbar that has more right click options still have their options. firefox for example still has its "open new tab", "open new window", "new private window" right click options.

@josh_bodner are you aware of such blurry UI effect? 

clipboard_image_0.png

Please note that everything is blurried except the page content and this is not a compression issue with the image I posted. Blurry effect goes away as soon as such UI elements gets redrawn upon various events, but they blurry back again after a while.

This is on external HDMI screen (1080p 24'', primary display) attached to a Dell Venue 11 Pro (1080p 11'', disabled). Everything else in the OS having HiDPI related issues have been fixed, so I don't know if this bug is still OS-related.

Please bring Overlay Scrollbars flag back, or make scroll bars respond to dark and white theme.

@LuKePicci 

I do know you hadn't directed this at me, but, I'll let you know, on (my) Windows 10 nothing is blurred, anywhere.  See what others say, do they, also, have it or not.  If so, then, start reporting it.  But, to repeat, mine is fine & normal.

Cheers,
Drew

@Will Y 

Hi Will,

There have been other, also, recently mentioning 'broken' or missing or partial jumplists.  I will suggest it is not an OS issue nor a universal one.  I am, also, running 10 and the jumplists are ok and always, have been.

Cheers,
Drew

@paulheu 

Hi Paul,

Not sure this is a (universal) bug.Certainly, for myself, it can be heard loud & clear 

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner wrote:

Added features:

• Improved the browser sign-in experience and added new profile icons.

I don't know what is improved in it, but I strongly hate when something says that it signed me in automatically without asking me and getting my permission. And no sign out button

@josh_bodner 

>> Tab sync sounds cool, if it works... reading other notes (here) hints at a Controlled Feature Roll-out.  I'll try it shortly... just finishing up installing a new Windows Insider Build; will try between it, a vm & the host.  Seems like I have it between Channels on the same device.  I'll amend this once my IB is live; at 90%, now.

Ok, update to the above:
I, too, do not (yet) have the History in other devices or Channels; must be a Controlled Feature Roll-out.

Cheers,
Drew

@monotwist 

Can do that because you are (already) signed in to your device/computer with your same account for both that & the browser.  You're signed out when the browser is closed. And, also, allow me to show you... 1st on any & all pages, followed by MSN.ca Home page. 

The basic beginning is clicking on your Profile picture

Next, click text in the red circle
Profile.jpg
To
And there is the sign out button
ProfileSO.jpg

And here is another Sign out button; or, again, use the Profile picture on the toolbar, same as above.

HomeSO.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

Windows Integrated Authentication is now broken in Dev as well as Canary. I raised the issue when it was in Canary. I can't believe you pushed this issue down to Dev!!

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Windows-Authentication-Not-Working-Canary-amp-Dev...

@Keith Davis IWA seems to be broken for me too. 

@Drew1903of course it depends on different hardware/display specs, have you ever experienced some other HiDPI/external display issues on that same Windows device? I think there is some correlation

Noticing the screenshots that @rw1234 included regarding inconsistent scrolling, this reminded me that I often wonder why the arrows above and below scroll bars are now so minute. Many of my older clients like to place their pointer over the arrows to click them to gradually move content up and down, rather than clicking and holding the scroll bar 'handle' or using gestures on their touchpad with fingers, which if you are over the age of 80 can be quite challenging! The arrows are really difficult to see sometimes.

Hi @Antonio Andreas S.Pires, Microsoft has stopped supporting e-books using the epub format.  You can get a reader extension for that file type by searching for epub reader. For more information on this you can see our statement here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517840/microsoft-edge-download-an-epub-app-to-keep-reading Thanks - Elliot

Thank you @Graham-STMC, this is a great write up.  We have been working hard to make the transition from both current Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome as easy as possible.  I would love to get your feedback on our success so far.  Many, even most, of our Insiders are technologically savvy and we are a little worried that we aren't getting enough feedback from the population of users that you work with.  Thanks - Elliot

Thanks @Elliot Kirk. . I have been making a few comments through the Feedback Hub in Windows 10 for several years based on my clients experiences. A few of them accuse me of dragging them screaming into the 21st Century, but once they realise the synchronicity that Windows 10 provides (across Android and somewhat on iOS too) they really like the system. 

Most hate change, many aren't able to glance at a screen and recognise icons, (when faced with something new, they prefer to spend time reading everything on screen before they click anything,) and several experience genuine sense of fear that they might do something wrong and destroy their computer or lose their data. 

So many people I work with, most of whom are aged between 55 and 90 (!) have been using Microsoft's products in offices and at home for years, whether its Office, Windows, Skype, or even mail apps, but they get very confused about what they are actually using to do each task.  (And those using tablets from other manufacturers that don't run Windows 10 are sometimes utterly confused!)

The clear icons that were introduced with Windows 8 and the extensive labelling that has gradually been added to Windows 10 over the years is really helpful.  I am really impressed with the Fluent Design standard as well, it is really helping to unify everything and keep things simple, whilst looking really good as well.

As part of this forum it is great to see the dedication and passion that is going into making the UI just right; the discussion about whether buttons should be rounded or square..  I believe they should be square because it's Edge, not Firefox or Chrome...   and the recent observation that there was a slightly thicker line below the search box on the home and new tab pages shows a real dedication to detail that I totally approve of.  The inclusion of built in PDF reading (and inking), Read Aloud and other features from Classic Edge into Chromium Edge is also extremely important for those that find using a browser difficult or confusing - it needs to 'just work.'  New features such as 'Collections' need to be publicised widely - and perhaps even advertised on TV or in the press for older people to understand them.

People see things differently.  I think it was a really good decision to keep a big blue or white 'e' as the icon for Edge, because it is easy to explain 'click the big 'e' to explore the Internet on Edge,' but by comparison some are confused by the icon for the Mail app - a couple of ladies I know that served as Air Hostesses on Concorde tell me that it looks more like the BOAC 'SpeedBird' logo than an envelope!