Dev channel update to 79.0.301.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.301.2 to the Dev Channel!  In addition to all the noteworthy features and changes mentioned below, we’ve also got a more in-depth look at all the changes we’ve been making to webpage controls in order to update them to the Fluent design language here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/10/15/form-controls-microsoft-edge-chromium/

Added features:

• Added a setting to show or hide the feedback smiley face from the toolbar.
  • The first round of Family Safety features is now available on Windows 10.
  • Added an option to the New Tab Page for users signed into the browser with a work or school account to show Office content from their organization instead of news content.
  • Added a toolbar to Reading View for easy access to Read Aloud and text viewing options.
  • Added the touchscreen scrolling behavior that the existing version of Edge was known for.
  • Added a button in Settings on Mac to open Microsoft AutoUpdate.
  • Added right-click support to menu items on Mac.
  • Added the ability to automatically remove extensions from a user’s device when they’ve been removed from the store they were installed from.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where the browser has high CPU usage when idle.
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page sometimes crashes when scrolled.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using the new tab page.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using IE mode.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using Collections.
  • Fixed a browser crash when importing data from another browser.
  • Fixed a webpage crash when viewing PDF documents.
  • Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes crash when typing in passwords.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix shows error D7354 when trying to play a video.
  • Fixed some hangs.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to print a webpage while it’s in Reading View only prints a single paper’s worth of content instead of the entire webpage.
  • Fixed an issue where certain Read Aloud voices don’t work properly.

Changed behavior:

• Changed the InPrivate icon into a square, as requested by user feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where users signed into the browser with a personal Microsoft account are unable to sync favorites and other content.
  • Fixed an issue where users with multiple accounts lose their account pictures on Taskbar shortcuts.
  • Fixed an issue where the Taskbar shortcut sometimes appears as the default sheet of paper.
  • Fixed an issue where the tab title in the tab band or on the Task Bar is incorrect if a PDF document is open.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting large amounts of text in PDF documents doesn’t work properly.
  • Fixed an issue where searches from the address bar are always in English despite the user’s language being set to some other language.
  • Fixed an issue where Top Sites on the new tab page disappear or are reset after upgrading to a new version of Edge.
  • Fixed an issue where translating a page into a different language and then back into its original language shows an error instead of performing the second translation.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpage controls like the calendar picker aren’t appearing.
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face is removed from the toolbar when it shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face isn’t rendered properly.
  • Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key on the warning dialog that appears when attempting to close the browser while a download is in progress closes the browser instead of just dismissing the dialog.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning about closing the browser while there’s an ongoing download never appears again after it’s dismissed the first time.
  • Fixed an issue where certain functionality like delete doesn’t work on the downloads shelf.
  • Fixed an issue where it’s possible to sign into a work or school account using the wrong type of email.
  • Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On signs users into the wrong account if they sign into the browser with a different work or school account than the one they’re currently signed into Windows with.
  • Fixed an issue where autofill settings are unexpectedly turned off by default for some users.
  • Fixed an issue where cookies are unexpectedly disabled on new installations.
  • Improved text input in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where two scroll bars sometimes appear in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app from the Control Panel doesn’t give any indication as to whether or not it’s succeeded.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where clicking in menus sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where corrupted characters appeared in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Fixed an issue where certain icons are inappropriately mirrored in right-to-left language installations.

As always, your feedback and suggestions have been making a big difference, so thanks for using Edge! 

114 Replies

@punker76 

Hi Jan,

Would you please uninstall/remove Edge Dev from your machine.  Next go grab a brand new Dev, HERE.  Put it back in your machine anew & please, report back with the results.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

It appears some people need to look up IGNORE in the dictionary.

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

@punker76 

Hi Jan,

Would you please uninstall/remove Edge Dev from your machine.  Next go grab a brand new Dev, HERE.  Put it back in your machine anew & please, report back with the results.  Thanks.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

Yup, Already suggested above lol why repeating?

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/Dev-channel-update-to-79-0-301-2-is-live/m-p/9171...

@filetrekker1360 

"If you can't stand the beta heat, get out of the beta fire?"

Mmmm, indeed.  Except the issue is many people do not realize what betas are.  Ergo, they don't expect 'problems', things missing, stuff that doesn't work or doesn't work correctly, cosmetics that are not right (colours, spacing, positioning, layouts, et al).  Betas are not & will not be perfection.  They will have flaws, snags & breakages.  This is why we work on them.  Back in the day they were not offered to the public.  But, even the public must be aware that betas are unfinished works-in-progress... products Insiders are helping to Build to have a solid, safe & Globally appealing product to release in a non-beta form.  There is another similar cliche - "Beta testing is not for the faint of heart."

Cheers,
Drew
Microsoft_WindowsInsiderProgram_Wallpaper.png

@wangshanghai 

It's quite the opposite.  You should have someone help you with it.  A good suggestions is go to Tips.  It has most everything about Win10 in there for you and all in plain English plus, pictures & such.  You can learn much there quickly to make using your wonderful OS easy for you.

Cheers,
Drew

@wangshanghai 

IE is a thing of the past, leave it there.  If you are not an Enterprise customer you do not need IE Mode.  If one has to use IE for some reason it's in the OS, without any need for IE Mode or through another browser.

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner 

Somehow, these threads quickly devolve about topics not about this specific version. Which is fine perhaps, but that muddles the "regression discussion" or new bugs in this version only.

Maybe a self-serving comment: ...as this new 79.0.301.2 version has crashed 7x in one day here: no new extensions, no changed settings (except Strict -> Moderate trackers blocking). I can only remember Chromium Edge crashing ~4-6 weeks ago, and that was just twice

edit: just saw your comment, @HotCakeX . Glad to hear they've fixed it already in Canary!

@anikun2k10 

Geeez, sure glad mine is not doing anything like that.  Suggest you remove Dev & go get a fresh download & install anew.  Get it, again, HERE

Cheers,
Drew

@josh_bodner It's just here but Youtube isn't loading properly? Only the video shows and I can't maximize it or see comments or other content of the webpage. Also, not even the title of the video appears in the tab, only "YouTube".

I disabled Adblocks and other extensions as well, the problem persists. I'll have to redownload the browser? :\

clipboard_image_0.png

Edit: I downloaded another version of the browser, the Beta, and the problem persists. So it's either a Youtube problem or an ISP problem?

Edit 2: yeah, it's youtube: https://downdetector.com/status/youtube/ hahahah

I just think IE mode is convenient in China !@Drew1903 

You are right, but I just a college student, my roommate will help me ! Thanks !@Drew1903 

Except not needed since you have actual IE already in your OS.

除了不需要,因为您的操作系统中已有实际 IE

Cheers,
Drew

Sent from Windows Mobile

@wangshanghai 

You're welcome and I am glad you have someone to help you.  Remember to read through Tips.  Put Tips in the search box Under All or Apps.

欢迎你,我很高兴你有人来帮你。 记住通读提示。 在"全部"或"应用"下的搜索框中放置提示。

Tips1.jpg

Tips.jpg

Cheers,
Drew

On a Mac and in the developer tools window, when I press the key "Cmd", the window shifts trough the panels.

It's unusable this build.

Is there any way I can revert to the previous one?

Regards

79.0.301.2 starts with previously opened tabs for 1 window only, despite being closed (Windows shutdown) with 2 windows.

@Drew1903 

Spoiler

@Drew1903 wrote:

@wangshanghai 

IE is a thing of the past, leave it there.  If you are not an Enterprise customer you do not need IE Mode.  If one has to use IE for some reason it's in the OS, without any need for IE Mode or through another browser.

It's probably needed in China that's why he's asking for it..

@wangshanghai 

That's right, cause it loads websites inside Edge UI but with IE engine, that's definitely more convenient 

The IE mode and how to set it up is Not yet added to the Tips app.
Tips app does Not contain guides for Insider or Beta contents..

@wangshanghai 

when you said previously that you wished it was simpler, it actually were like this, just a simple button

https://pureinfotech.com/enable-ie-mode-microsoft-edge-chromium/

open-website-internet-explorer-edge-chromium_

But replaced with Group Policy now

https://www.ghacks.net/2019/07/29/only-microsoft-edge-enterprise-will-support-internet-explorer-mode...

First time that I'm having problems with the Edge.... My Edge is crashing sometime... I'm browsing and suddenly the Edge closes! I'm trying to find the pattern to report the bug.
Yeah, when Edge Canary was around that version (79.0.301.2) it had that problem too, but Canary is on version (79.0.306.0) now and the problem is fixed, Dev needs to wait for the next update cycle to receive the fix as well.