Dev channel update to 79.0.301.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.301.2 to the Dev Channel!  In addition to all the noteworthy features and changes mentioned below, we’ve also got a more in-depth look at all the changes we’ve been making to webpage controls in order to update them to the Fluent design language here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/10/15/form-controls-microsoft-edge-chromium/

Added features:

• Added a setting to show or hide the feedback smiley face from the toolbar.
  • The first round of Family Safety features is now available on Windows 10.
  • Added an option to the New Tab Page for users signed into the browser with a work or school account to show Office content from their organization instead of news content.
  • Added a toolbar to Reading View for easy access to Read Aloud and text viewing options.
  • Added the touchscreen scrolling behavior that the existing version of Edge was known for.
  • Added a button in Settings on Mac to open Microsoft AutoUpdate.
  • Added right-click support to menu items on Mac.
  • Added the ability to automatically remove extensions from a user’s device when they’ve been removed from the store they were installed from.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where the browser has high CPU usage when idle.
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page sometimes crashes when scrolled.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using the new tab page.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using IE mode.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using Collections.
  • Fixed a browser crash when importing data from another browser.
  • Fixed a webpage crash when viewing PDF documents.
  • Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes crash when typing in passwords.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix shows error D7354 when trying to play a video.
  • Fixed some hangs.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to print a webpage while it’s in Reading View only prints a single paper’s worth of content instead of the entire webpage.
  • Fixed an issue where certain Read Aloud voices don’t work properly.

Changed behavior:

• Changed the InPrivate icon into a square, as requested by user feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where users signed into the browser with a personal Microsoft account are unable to sync favorites and other content.
  • Fixed an issue where users with multiple accounts lose their account pictures on Taskbar shortcuts.
  • Fixed an issue where the Taskbar shortcut sometimes appears as the default sheet of paper.
  • Fixed an issue where the tab title in the tab band or on the Task Bar is incorrect if a PDF document is open.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting large amounts of text in PDF documents doesn’t work properly.
  • Fixed an issue where searches from the address bar are always in English despite the user’s language being set to some other language.
  • Fixed an issue where Top Sites on the new tab page disappear or are reset after upgrading to a new version of Edge.
  • Fixed an issue where translating a page into a different language and then back into its original language shows an error instead of performing the second translation.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpage controls like the calendar picker aren’t appearing.
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face is removed from the toolbar when it shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face isn’t rendered properly.
  • Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key on the warning dialog that appears when attempting to close the browser while a download is in progress closes the browser instead of just dismissing the dialog.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning about closing the browser while there’s an ongoing download never appears again after it’s dismissed the first time.
  • Fixed an issue where certain functionality like delete doesn’t work on the downloads shelf.
  • Fixed an issue where it’s possible to sign into a work or school account using the wrong type of email.
  • Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On signs users into the wrong account if they sign into the browser with a different work or school account than the one they’re currently signed into Windows with.
  • Fixed an issue where autofill settings are unexpectedly turned off by default for some users.
  • Fixed an issue where cookies are unexpectedly disabled on new installations.
  • Improved text input in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where two scroll bars sometimes appear in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app from the Control Panel doesn’t give any indication as to whether or not it’s succeeded.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where clicking in menus sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where corrupted characters appeared in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Fixed an issue where certain icons are inappropriately mirrored in right-to-left language installations.

As always, your feedback and suggestions have been making a big difference, so thanks for using Edge! 

114 Replies

@filetrekker1360 

@filetrekker1360 wrote:

@That_s_Me The context menus you are expecting won't be supported in Windows 8.1.

Uhm... Who told you that? In IE11 they were since Windows 7 and they are still works in Windows 8.1. So there are no technical difficulties to make them work again.

@That_s_Me They work a little differently in 10 and there's no real reason to target them for 8.1 / 7 as 7 is now unsupported and I'm not sure how many people use 8.1 or why they'd want to, but it's a very very small number.

True, Windows 7 end of life: January 14, 2020
I wonder if they even release new versions of Edge insider and updates for Windows 7 version after that time

@filetrekker1360 

@filetrekker1360 wrote:

They work a little differently in 10 and there's no real reason to target them for 8.1 / 7 as 7 is now unsupported and I'm not sure how many people use 8.1 or why they'd want to, but it's a very very small number.

So, that's just your opinion, which you forgot to mention early?:xd: And it not related in any way to developers intentions? New browser is targeted to 3 versions of Windows, so it's fair to have feedback from them.

@filetrekker1360 wrote:

7 is now unsupported

No, it's not yet.

@filetrekker1360 wrote:

I'm not sure how many people use 8.1 or why they'd want to, but it's a very very small number.

And then again - why you telling me your own opinion, while I was writing feedback to developers?:lol:

@That_s_Me Support ends in January 2020 but the purposes of this project it's effectively unsupported as the final version of this product will be released after end of support.

I'm just letting you know why it won't work and probably never will. 

@filetrekker1360 

I'm just letting you know why it won't work and probably never will. 

Nope, you're just telling me your opinion on reasons for that. At least you're finally added "probably", that's fair.

@That_s_Me Well, it's factual that it won't work in the current build due to API differences and probably never work as for the reasons I mentioned (Windows 8.1 has 0.2% market share) - sorry you're not happy about these facts. if you are happy with Windows 8.1 that's great but you'll run into more and more niggles with it as it's effectively abandoned by developers.

@filetrekker1360 Oh, god:facepalm: Why you're keep telling me things which I'm not even arguing to?:xd:

@josh_bodner  - is there going to be an option to sync Collections at some point or even export/import them?  I use them all the time on one laptop, but my other laptop, I have to rebuild the Collections.

Please figure out a way to allow sync for Businesses with AD Connect to Azure for Teams Free allowing company login as MS Work account (without O365, my current employer is Software Assurance everything on Prem).
We can get other services syncing Like OneNote to their Work AD accounts via Azure login with this setup, why not allow sign into browser this way for Sync, currently I can sign in but it says sync disabled by Admin (I am the admin, please allow me to enable this) people want to sync these items across their work devices (Office PC, Surface, iOS devices), and I would love to make this the default browser and steer them in this direction over using personal accounts or worse Chrome + Personal...
Speaking of iOS that app let me sign in to my work MS account and enable sync for everything, but desktop app says disabled.

@josh_bodner did the newest update break something on twitch or is my graphic card dying? If im watching www.twitch.tv streams im getting weird artifacts. Doesnt happen in other Browsers so far. See pics below. 

image.pngimage.png

With this update in the last 12 hours my browser has crashed 3 times out of nowhere, doesnt freeze, just flatout closes without any notice and isnt bringing up the windows error reporting dialog either, though i am glad to see that the microsoft rewards page is back to working like it should with this update

I've noticed that content doesn't load for me unless I scroll down, and that this lag is likely caused by the bing image of the day loading. Do you have bing image of the day turned on?
Classic edge never ran well enough for me to actually experience smooth scrolling in Classic Edge. XD

Now that it's available on the Chromium version's touch screen, I can totally see what all the fuss is about!

I too hope it starts working more holistically, especially on my trackpad.

@josh_bodner 

Hi,

I still getting annoying start and settings views with the latest dev build. I can't say what's wrong, maybe a missing or corrupt font?

2019-10-16_21h36_00.png2019-10-16_21h36_08.png

kind regards

Jan

@Chris Childerhose 

@Chris Childerhose wrote:

@josh_bodner  - is there going to be an option to sync Collections at some point or even export/import them?  I use them all the time on one laptop, but my other laptop, I have to rebuild the Collections.

Hi,

Word and Excel online are currently possible but I agree there needs to be more and preferably use the installed versions of them when available instead of Online.

@anikun2k10 

@anikun2k10 wrote:

With this update in the last 12 hours my browser has crashed 3 times out of nowhere, doesnt freeze, just flatout closes without any notice and isnt bringing up the windows error reporting dialog either, though i am glad to see that the microsoft rewards page is back to working like it should with this update

Hi,

you're hitting a known bug that was available previously on Canary and is now shipped to the Dev, But it is fixed in Canary so Dev needs to wait for the next update (every week) to get the patch

@punker76 

Spoiler

@punker76 wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Hi,

I still getting annoying start and settings views with the latest dev build. I can't say what's wrong, maybe a missing or corrupt font?

2019-10-16_21h36_00.png2019-10-16_21h36_08.png

kind regards

Jan

Hi,

it's happening because the fonts are set "Too Big" in the settings, all you have to do is to go to the settings / Appearance / Customize fonts and change them back to normal

the normal values are this:

Annotation 2019-10-17 010924.png

Annotation 2019-10-17 010937.png

You can also try resetting all browser settings back to their default values

Annotation 2019-10-17 011122.png

@HotCakeX 

I can't do this, because the settings page is also not readable :\

Well in that case you're gonna have to uninstall your Edge Dev and during uninstall, when asked, choose to delete all data (this step is necessary) and then reinstall it again..