Dev channel update to 79.0.301.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.301.2 to the Dev Channel!  In addition to all the noteworthy features and changes mentioned below, we’ve also got a more in-depth look at all the changes we’ve been making to webpage controls in order to update them to the Fluent design language here:  https://blogs.windows.com/msedgedev/2019/10/15/form-controls-microsoft-edge-chromium/

Added features:

• Added a setting to show or hide the feedback smiley face from the toolbar.
  • The first round of Family Safety features is now available on Windows 10.
  • Added an option to the New Tab Page for users signed into the browser with a work or school account to show Office content from their organization instead of news content.
  • Added a toolbar to Reading View for easy access to Read Aloud and text viewing options.
  • Added the touchscreen scrolling behavior that the existing version of Edge was known for.
  • Added a button in Settings on Mac to open Microsoft AutoUpdate.
  • Added right-click support to menu items on Mac.
  • Added the ability to automatically remove extensions from a user’s device when they’ve been removed from the store they were installed from.

Improved reliability:

• Fixed an issue where the browser has high CPU usage when idle.
  • Fixed an issue where the new tab page sometimes crashes when scrolled.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using the new tab page.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using IE mode.
  • Fixed a browser crash when using Collections.
  • Fixed a browser crash when importing data from another browser.
  • Fixed a webpage crash when viewing PDF documents.
  • Fixed an issue where webpages sometimes crash when typing in passwords.
  • Fixed an issue where Netflix shows error D7354 when trying to play a video.
  • Fixed some hangs.
  • Fixed an issue where attempting to print a webpage while it’s in Reading View only prints a single paper’s worth of content instead of the entire webpage.
  • Fixed an issue where certain Read Aloud voices don’t work properly.

Changed behavior:

• Changed the InPrivate icon into a square, as requested by user feedback.
  • Fixed an issue where users signed into the browser with a personal Microsoft account are unable to sync favorites and other content.
  • Fixed an issue where users with multiple accounts lose their account pictures on Taskbar shortcuts.
  • Fixed an issue where the Taskbar shortcut sometimes appears as the default sheet of paper.
  • Fixed an issue where the tab title in the tab band or on the Task Bar is incorrect if a PDF document is open.
  • Fixed an issue where selecting large amounts of text in PDF documents doesn’t work properly.
  • Fixed an issue where searches from the address bar are always in English despite the user’s language being set to some other language.
  • Fixed an issue where Top Sites on the new tab page disappear or are reset after upgrading to a new version of Edge.
  • Fixed an issue where translating a page into a different language and then back into its original language shows an error instead of performing the second translation.
  • Fixed an issue where certain webpage controls like the calendar picker aren’t appearing.
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face is removed from the toolbar when it shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where the feedback smiley face isn’t rendered properly.
  • Fixed an issue where hitting the ESC key on the warning dialog that appears when attempting to close the browser while a download is in progress closes the browser instead of just dismissing the dialog.
  • Fixed an issue where the warning about closing the browser while there’s an ongoing download never appears again after it’s dismissed the first time.
  • Fixed an issue where certain functionality like delete doesn’t work on the downloads shelf.
  • Fixed an issue where it’s possible to sign into a work or school account using the wrong type of email.
  • Fixed an issue where Single Sign-On signs users into the wrong account if they sign into the browser with a different work or school account than the one they’re currently signed into Windows with.
  • Fixed an issue where autofill settings are unexpectedly turned off by default for some users.
  • Fixed an issue where cookies are unexpectedly disabled on new installations.
  • Improved text input in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where two scroll bars sometimes appear in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where uninstalling a website installed as an app from the Control Panel doesn’t give any indication as to whether or not it’s succeeded.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where clicking in menus sometimes doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where corrupted characters appeared in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Fixed an issue where certain icons are inappropriately mirrored in right-to-left language installations.

As always, your feedback and suggestions have been making a big difference, so thanks for using Edge! 

114 Replies

@josh_bodner Good afternoon,

"Clear browsing data on close" is no longer working for me since this update. It was working on previous versions until I updated today. I'm seeing "Browsing history", "Cookies and other site data" and "Cached images and files" data being retained even with the option to clear upon close them being checked.

I've submitted feedback, but thought it was worth a mention here.

Thanks.

Capture.PNG

@josh_bodner News feed is still broken! In each update you are adding more bugs than fixing :face_with_tears_of_joy::face_with_tears_of_joy:

Hi,

What I have noticed with the new tab is that it takes a few seconds to load even if the content is turned off and because of which the tab doesn't open instantaneously! I was pumped about the new update when the changelog mentioned the option to turn off contents on new tab page. However it seems like it is still loading the content even though the content is not visible on the new tab page making it a mere cosmetic change!

@josh_bodner The bug mentioned in this post, is now present in this new version of the Dev channel:

Spoiler
Edge bug dev 1.50.gif

@TanvirArjel 

Spoiler

@TanvirArjel wrote:

Capture.PNG

@josh_bodner News feed is still broken! In each update you are adding more bugs than fixing :face_with_tears_of_joy::face_with_tears_of_joy:

Yeah, for me it had been like that for a few updates until Version 79.0.304 was released and that fixed the issue. (the issues are the same between Can and Dev)

@josh_bodner 

Environment friendly feedback - aka recycled since none of it has been done and is  blocking for a browser change

1. Google integration - No thanks. I value privacy - not Google profit

2. Fix the favorites icon - it's still the wrong one

3. Add these buttons to the favorites menu 

clipboard_image_0.png

3. prevent mouse button hijacking

4. Fix Epub

@matsmcp 

2. Fix the favorites icon - it's still the wrong one

It's the same icon used by the old Edge, or what do you mean exactly?

@matsmcp 

Hi,

Which Windows 10 version/build are you using? because on the latest one my Edge classic toolbar looks like this

Annotation 2019-10-15 212342.png

Nice stuff @josh_bodner 

I would like to make a suggestion, can you carry over the Site To Zones GPO feature that exists for Internet Explorer?

It's a god send in Small to Medium sized businesses that with Internet Explorer we can fully stop users downloading files from websites unless we assign the website one of the number values in the Group Policy setting to be either "1 - Intranet" or "2 - Trusted Sites".

This ofcourse implies that the GPO setting to prevent users downloading is also carried over

@josh_bodner  Hi Josh, I'm still seeing this issue where lots of websites such as Wikipedia are really zoomed out. I posted about it here, there are screenshots included comparing Beta to Dev. Please get this one fixed! https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Discussions/webpages-seem-zoomed-out-in-Dev-version-79/m-p/88...

@josh_bodner 

Hello, I noticed exiting reading mode takes a while, because the web page appears to reload. Can you add an option to keep these sites in memory when reading mode is enabled, to allow for smoother transition back to the original site.   

Just wondering is tab sync actually part of this release or not...? Isn't listed in the notes above despite being called out on the Edge Insider page twice, and I'm also not seeing it as an option to enable in any of my Dev installs

@Ed Sparks 

Hi, you're not alone, I don't have it either,

Annotation 2019-10-14 144215.png

It's still part of the controlled feature roll-out

@HotCakeX 

that screenshot is from an older one. Don't know exact build)

Hello @josh_bodner,

Still no InPrivate menu in taskbar, like on this screenshot (not mine, Windows 10):Annotation 2019-09-25 234733.png

I'm using Windows 8.1 x64. Mine menu:mine_menu.png

@josh_bodner The perfect scrolling experience is what separates Classic MS Edge from every other browser, including the new Chromium Edge.

The only things keeping me using Classic MS Edge as my main browser are:

1. Laptop multi-touch touchpad 2-finger scrolling/fling not as smooth in Chromium Edge as in Classic Edge.
  2. Multi-touch touchpad scrolling animations (e.g. rubber band/bounce) apply to main content area but not scrollable HTML elements. To see what I mean, try touchpad scrolling in Settings -> Site permissions on the right hand side, or other places such as the main content area in Spotify web app, or the left navigation pane on docs.microsoft.com pages (e.g. docs.microsoft.com/en-u..) . No scrolling bounce when reaching the end of scrollable content.
  3. Multi-touch zooming animations (e.g. feedback bounce) don't occur when zooming too far in/out.
  4. Tooltips in whole browser (which are no longer rendered via comctl32.dll in Google Chrome and Chromium Edge) aren't rendered correctly on HiDPI displays. Sometimes the border lines are wrong colour or missing completely. This is a longstanding issue, please fix.image.png
  5. When favourites bar is disabled, the address bar has an annoying black line as a border. This was previously a 2px grey line. The line should be 1px grey as in Classic Edge. image.png
  6. There is no option to set window frame colour to grey/dark grey/translucent (i.e. as UWP apps look).

Please fix these. I've been testing Chromium Edge for months and most of these issues have been present but have never been addressed.

I'd love to use Chromium Edge as my main browser but until these issues are fixed I will likely keep using Classic Edge as long as possible because the high level of polish makes my Windows laptop feel like a premium experience, regardless if other browsers are getting faster and gaining other improvements.

@HotCakeX @josh_bodner 

Glad to see I'm not alone.
Super annoying that this kind of language is used then if it's still part of CFR

Also why post it as a full "new feature" panel and then not include it in the release notes?

"Added the ability to automatically remove extensions from a user’s device when they’ve been removed from the store they were installed from."
can i disable this ?
i mean your forcing us to remove a plugin we want if it was publicly available before!
this will only force me and the others like me from downloading from your store :p

@josh_bodner 

Was tab sync supposed to remove history syncing's placeholder? Hopefully a one-off bug and history syncing is still a planned feature for Chromium Edge.