Dev channel update to 79.0.294.1 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.294.1 to the Dev Channel!  It’s a pretty normal week this week, so you can see the most noteworthy changes below: 

Added Features:

• Added messaging to warn users when they install an extension that has the ability to change their search provider, home page, or new tab page.
  • Added improved messaging and reporting abilities when navigating to unsafe websites.
  • Added a button to set up syncing from the profile flyout.

Improved Reliability:

• Fixed an issue where PDFs sometimes fails to load.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows fail to navigate and show “This page is having a problem”.
  • Fixed an issue where opening all items in a Collection sometimes leads to a browser crash.
  • Temporarily disabled Renderer Code Integrity by default to prevent situations where it causes all tabs to crash upon loading.
  • Fixed an issue where Read Aloud would sometimes stop when reading long words.
  • Improved the success rate of single sign-on for work or school accounts.

Improved Behavior:

• Fixed an issue where tooltips don't appear when hovering over links, UI, etc.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge opens in Application Guard mode when it shouldn’t.
  • Fixed an issue where the various sync toggles sometimes don’t work after signing in with a work or school account.
  • Improved the appearance of the Downloads shelf.
  • Fixed an issue where the option to open a new tab from the tab band’s context menu appears twice.
  • Fixed an issue where various sync toggles appear disabled even though they shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where the button to sign out of the browser is sometimes missing from Settings.
  • Fixed an issue where profile pictures sometimes don’t appear in Settings.
  • Improved the appearance of the Task Bar icon when using multiple profiles.
  • Fixed an issue where users with multiple profiles see a generic icon instead of their profile picture on the Task Bar shortcut.
  • Fixed an issue where Tracking Prevention reported blocking trackers from one tab when viewing a different tab.
  • Fixed an issue where IE mode tabs sometimes are zoomed improperly when they load.
  • Fixed an issue where windows sometimes have a 1px colored line on top of them.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where keyboard shortcuts sometimes don’t work in Collections.
  • Fixed an issue where mobile favorites that are imported from another browser aren’t placed in the correct folder.

As always, we thank you for using Edge, and for sending us all your great feedback and suggestions!

58 Replies
Whew! Thanks for the explanation from the developer, it's great to hear that the features are still coming. It's the one thing from Chrome that I miss.

Incidentally, I noticed in the latest stable Chrome that they added the cool favicon/spinner animation that Edge sadly removed in the last build. Hopefully that will make its way back in too. I thought it was very helpful.

@Yoneff 

Yes, it's a must-have feature!

it's still in their list as "under review", been there for 7 weeks now

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Articles/Top-Feedback-Summary-for-October-8/m-p/900617

Provide run / open / save / save as options when downloading files

@Speednet 

@Speednet wrote:
Whew! Thanks for the explanation from the developer, it's great to hear that the features are still coming. It's the one thing from Chrome that I miss.

Incidentally, I noticed in the latest stable Chrome that they added the cool favicon/spinner animation that Edge sadly removed in the last build. Hopefully that will make its way back in too. I thought it was very helpful.

You're welcome ^^

Yes absolutely, to me History and Extension sync are as important as favorite sync

Yeah, when it was added, some people in this forum posted that it's a bug, I knew it was a new feature but since other people asked to be removed, Edge devs removed it..

@josh_bodner this release claims there are fixes to IE Mode, however, I can't see IE Mode in all recent releases, though it's enabled in flags. How to work with it?

@andsav 

Hi,

in addition to enabling the flags related to IE mode, you also need to add the group policy files to your computer/server for the Edge insider, only Dev and Beta are supported for now.

you can get the policy files from here:

https://www.microsoftedgeinsider.com/en-us/enterprise

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/deployedge/edge-ie-mode

@HotCakeXThank you!

I hope IE Mode will get much easier to use, not only enterprises need it. For instance, there are banking and tax management applications written in Java (due to need to use cryptography, I believe), which require launching java plug in. And it looks like it's much easier for a consumer to launch IE directly than to configure IE Mode in Edge Preview.

You're welcome,
True..when IE mode was first introduced, there was a button on the ellipsis menu that would let you launch the website you're viewing in IE mode, it was simple though, no way to tell the level of IE compatibility or whether open the website in IE program itself or open it in IE mode inside Edge insider, they removed it few months ago..
it's unfortunate Chromium dropped NPAPI support that was required for Java plugin and we're left only with IE

@josh_bodner no audio in dev edge on a sp6 since update. I was running the canary, it updated, lost all audio and i couldn't get it working again, so I switched to dev, and now that dev has updated it's not working again. Any ideas? 

@atifchy I also am seeing this issue with the laggy YouTube videos.

@atifchy 

@atifchy wrote:

I am having excessive cpu usage at startup. Besides edge becomes laggy while watching 1080p+ youtube video. Also it has the full screen open/close bug from chrome.

Could you please explain the open/close bug that you are experiencing when full screen?

@josh_bodner 

Happy to see the Renderer Code Integrity issue being addresses. This one had pushed me back to Firefox (ack!) as I posted about in the forums. Glad to be back on the dev and beta. ;)

@josh_bodner favorites are still self migrating off the favorites bar when rearranged.

@HotCakeX You will understand it after seeing this images. Screenshot (18).pngScreenshot (19).pngScreenshot (20).png

⬆ that happens after clicking esc.

Also I was having black screen on some videos so I disabled hardware acceleration  video decode.

@josh_bodner 

Environment friendly feedback - aka recycled since none of it has been done and is  blocking for a browser change

1. Google integration - No thanks. I value privacy - not Google profit

2. Fix the favorites icon - it's still the wrong one

3. Add these buttons to the favorites menu 

clipboard_image_0.png

3. prevent mouse button hijacking

4. Fix Epub

@atifchy 

Spoiler

@atifchy wrote:

@HotCakeX You will understand it after seeing this images. Screenshot (18).pngScreenshot (19).pngScreenshot (20).png

⬆ that happens after clicking esc.

Also I was having black screen on some videos so I disabled hardware acceleration  video decode.

Thanks, Yes I have the same black bar at the bottom that appear for a few milliseconds after I click on the full screen button.

This happens on Chrome, Edge insider and Edge classic, (on Edge classic it's white bar instead of black)

I think it's a problem with YouTube website itself. it can't be that all of these browsers have bug even when they have different engines (EdgeHTML and Chromium).

@sweatshopking 

I got a SP6 and I got sound in both canary and dev. Both fully updated so it's not a affecting all error.

It doesn't happen on Firefox though
Gotta ask Mozilla what their secret is then :)
Same here - I'm on 79.0.294.1 (Official build) Dev (64-bit) on Mac OS Catalina. My fan was full speed with just two tabs open. I had to kill Edge to get it to calm down.

I can't use the smiley face icon or menu to Send Feedback. Clicking on either will crash Edge.

UPDATE: It seems to be working now. Not sure what was causing the crash issue, but it was a fresh install on a (practically) brand new MacBook Pro running Catalina. Edge was installed after the Catalina update.

The high CPU usage and fan seems to mostly come into play when a video is playing in chrome (including autoroll ads on news sites), but I've not narrowed it down entirely.