Dev channel update to 79.0.287.2 is live

Microsoft

Hello insiders, today we’re releasing build 79.0.287.2 to the Dev Channel!  There’s a lot in here, but we’re most excited to announce two long-awaited features:  media autoplay blocking, and a more customizable new tab page! 

You can find the media autoplay blocking setting under edge://settings/content/mediaAutoplay.  While you’re in Settings, you may also want to check out some additions to Tracking Prevention.  We now offer a list of all the trackers we’ve ever blocked, as well as a page of exceptions that will allow you to better customize your Tracking Prevention behavior. 

On the new tab page, there are four big new features, some of which you’ve been asking for.  First, the new tab page now supports dark theme.  Next, you can scroll through previous Bing images of the day using the arrows at the bottom left of the page.  While you’re scrolling, if you scroll down to the news feed, you’ll see that we added more personalization options.  And finally, if you don’t want to see the news feed at all, now you don’t have to, because we added the option to turn it completely off! 

In addition to those features, some of the other major changes that are worth mentioning include: 

New features:

• Re-added a prompt to enable Windows location settings if a site requests location permissions but OS-level location settings are disabled.
  • Enabled changing font size in Reading View.
  • Added middle click support to Collections items.
  • Added a tooltip to long Collection titles.
  • Added error messaging for when another program is preventing Edge from installing an update.
  • Added a policy to control the Renderer Code Integrity feature (see https://textslashplain.com/2019/09/27/aw-snap-every-tab-crashes/).

Improved reliability:

• Fixed a crash on launch.
  • Fixed an issue where Edge on Mac crashes when it checks for updates.
  • Fixed an issue where opening certain PDFs causes the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where some PDF files don’t load properly.
  • Fixed an issue where downloading pages of a PDF that’s being viewed sometimes hangs.
  • Fixed an issue where tabs sometimes hang during navigation.
  • Fixed an issue where page translation via the built-in translator sometimes fails silently.
  • Fixed an issue where opening all Collection items sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where watching certain videos in full screen causes playback to freeze.
  • Fixed some issues where enabling sync settings sometimes crashes the browser.
  • Fixed an issue where Sync was not working and showed an error next to the profile button on the toolbar.
  • Fixed an issue where syncing is stuck in the “Setting up your sync…” state.
  • Improved reliability of sync for work or school accounts over unreliable network connections.
  • Fixed some sign-in errors that occur when signing into the browser with a work or school account.
  • Fixed an issue on Mac where syncing for work or school accounts doesn’t work.
  • Fixed an issue where trying to import data from the same browser multiple times fails on the subsequent attempts.
  • Improved the performance and results when searching for Edge settings.
  • Fixed an issue where importing data from another browser can sometimes cause the tab to crash.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings aren’t imported correctly from the previous version of Edge.
  • Fixed an issue where certain audio playback doesn’t work.

Changed behavior: 

• Fixed an issue where the icons for the buttons on the toolbar like the back button or the … menu aren’t centered in the button.
  • Fixed an issue where a new taskbar shortcut is created when Edge is updated to a newer version even though there’s already an existing shortcut.
  • Fixed an issue where the X button to close a tab is incorrectly placed when tab sizes are sufficiently small.
  • Fixed an issue where the X button to close a tab sometimes stays highlighted even when it’s not being interacted with.
  • Fixed an issue where the hover state of the X button to close a tab is too big.
  • Fixed an issue where the address bar theming is too dark in dark theme.
  • Fixed an issue where the ESC key minimizes Edge on Mac when it shouldn’t.
  • Fixed an issue where the F12 Dev Tools sometimes don’t use the proper theme on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where some context menu items in the F12 Dev Tools appear twice.
  • Fixed an issue where some UI overlaps in the F12 Dev Tools.
  • Fixed an issue where some sections of the edge://accessibility page are missing.
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as Apps don’t properly respond to changes in the browser’s theme.
  • Fixed an issue where websites installed as Apps sometimes aren’t removed from every list in the browser when they’re uninstalled.
  • Fixed an issue where the “Continue running background apps when Microsoft Edge is closed” setting is missing on Mac.
  • Fixed an issue where feedback screenshots that are cropped become much lower quality.
  • Fixed an issue where the “Save and Include” button on the feedback diagnostic data windows isn’t visible.
  • Fixed an issue where context menus sometimes don’t close when switching tabs.
  • Fixed an issue where the tab favicon sometimes isn’t shown in Reading View.
  • Fixed an issue where the ESC key doesn’t cause Read Aloud to exit.
  • Fixed an issue where copying text from a Collection into another program copies the underlying HTML code instead of just the text.
  • Fixed an issue where Collections created through the context menu don’t show any confirmation that the collection is created.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows don’t use dark theme even though the rest of the browser does.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows don’t have their tabs restored when Edge is restarted.
  • Updated the … menu in Application Guard windows to clarify that the Exit option will only close Application Guard windows.
  • Fixed an issue where Application Guard windows unexpectedly open up when the browser is launched.
  • Fixed an issue where the Sync page in Settings briefly shows incorrectly after confirming the settings.
  • Fixed an issue where the PDF toolbar is still visible when it shouldn’t be.
  • Fixed an issue where text selection in PDFs selects an extra character.
  • Fixed an issue where the retry button on deleted downloads appears to be disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where Flash settings are sometimes not properly displayed.
  • Fixed an issue where context menus on the Settings page sometimes don’t dismiss properly.
  • Fixed an issue where multiple context menus appeared on certain Settings pages.
  • Fixed an issue where certain settings unexpectedly become disabled.
  • Fixed an issue where the Delete Browsing Data popup is sometimes missing some of its contents.
  • Fixed an issue where the link to the Extensions store was missing on the Extensions page when no Extensions are installed.
  • Fixed an issue where the Print Preview window was too small.
  • Temporarily disabled Sync for work and school accounts for outdated versions of Edge on Mac and downlevel Windows.

We expect to have one or two minor additions to this Dev build later this week which will increase the final part of the version number, but there shouldn’t be any new features added in those updates.  And until next week, thank you all for using Edge and for sending us all your feedback and suggestions! 

89 Replies

@XRaiderv18 

Mine are unchanged.  Have always stayed how I arrange them.  Good to know if things are universal, wide-spread or rare.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@TanvirArjel 

Where is it?

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 on my favorites toolbar, I have my gmail, fios login, first energy outage favorites..I tried to move my google fi login favorite next to my gmail, closed the browser, relaunched the next day and boom..its gone, and youtube music is RIGHT back where it shouldnt be.

@ikjadoon 

Speaking of ads or not... suggest setting Tracking Prevention to Strict.  You may :lol: at its effect... with or without ads Blocked or an ad blocker extension.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@leopeva64-2_ 

I have mentioned this previously, but, before some may have seen it...

Depending on what OS Accent colour is used/selected this can become a non-issue.  One can have oodles of contrast.  IF one has grey on grey, yes, it will be challenging.  Try some other OS accent colours AND tell them to apply to Title bar & window frames.

1st hand experience, it does the trick, nicely.

Here's an example
Contrast.jpg
Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@smartgreenrobot 

Figure on, probably, Spring 2020.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@XRaiderv18 

Ok, well, even though I don't have the same behavior... What happens if you arrange how you want in Manage Favorites, close & re-open?  OR even in the Favs.jpg list.  Is there any difference if you do it elsewhere than the Favs Bar itself?

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@josh_bodner 

Next, you can scroll through previous Bing images of the day using the arrows at the bottom left of the page. 

And finally, if you don’t want to see the news feed at all, now you don’t have to, because we added the option to turn it completely off! 

Josh, I don't seem to have either of these ⬆ My NTP does not seem any different than ever including controls.  Is it another Controlled Feature Roll-out?

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 It's a bit hard to explain, but ever since the previous build the scrolling with my mouse wheel feels like the original Edge and not like any other chromium based browser. You feel each click of the mouse wheel rather than the super smooth feeling.

both methods produce the same result. I move a favorite through the normal view...or the manager, when I next launch the browser..its back where it started life at.

@tgienger Try disabling "Enable Experimental Scrolling" in edge://flags 

@leopeva64-2_ 

Thanks,

looks like it only works when the link is pasted in the address bar or transferred from another app (like clicking on a YouTube video link from an email and opening it in the Edge insider canary) Yes it does work on Youtube! the video is not started (but preloaded) and there is a play button on the video ready for the user to click on. however if you navigate and click on another video from there then the autoplay won't work and video plays automatically. I think this area needs a bit of fixing.

@ikjadoon wrote:

@josh_bodner 

Is Microsoft going to incorporate a stronger ad blocker in upcoming builds? If not, then this is an unusually titled item "Ads - block / allow" under Site Permissions.

When this is enabled, a tiny fraction of ads are blocked for normal users. This Setting toggle has gotta be renamed to "Intrusive ads" (and someone at MS should define "intrusive" so users know what this setting actually does), if more ad blocking isn't coming.

21iLO94

Just my two cents.

@ikjadoon 

You're right, that option seems not to be doing much, but in the privacy settings when I set tracking prevention to strict it blocks half of the ads. though not ads like those on YouTube videos that need more sophisticated ways like ublock origin extension.

@TanvirArjel 

@TanvirArjel wrote:
Great update! Finally most awaited `turn off news feed completely` arrived! Thank you. Microsoft Edge Team.

This still appears to be part of the A/B testing for the Dev..different users reported they don't have this option

@tgienger 

@tgienger wrote:

@josh_bodner Mouse wheel scrolling, at least in Windows 10, is still broken from the previous build. I would like to know if this is planned to stay this way so I can move on and use a different browser. Thanks.

Hi,

have you tried enabling this flag? it makes a lot better like the classic Edge.

Annotation 2019-10-02 091827.png

I don't know what other browser can do it better specially when Microsoft helped Google fix their scrolling in Chromium source.

@tgienger 

Ah, Smooth scrolling... it's "Coming soon".  BUT, in the meantime > edge://flags & type smooth scrolling in the search box

FlagSS.jpg

I have it since forever...why I (forgot) and didn't notice anything 'bad'.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@XRaiderv18 

@XRaiderv18 wrote:

still seeing an issue where favorites in the favorites bar that have been moved, are back where they were moved from.

I'm having this problem too!

for the same reason I'm afraid to setup Edge insider sync between 2 computers, data might be overwritten or corrupted.

@Drew1903 

@Drew1903 wrote:

@XRaiderv18 

Mine are unchanged.  Have always stayed how I arrange them.  Good to know if things are universal, wide-spread or rare.

with A/B testing going on, people tend to have problems that others don't, so it's normal and this fact doesn't make Any problem rare or unimportant.

@Deleted 

The person needs to Enable the Smooth scrolling flag.

Cheers,
Drew
thVY64FD02.jpg

@Drew1903 wrote:

Ok, well, even though I don't have the same behavior... What happens if you arrange how you want in Manage Favorites, close & re-open?  OR even in the Favs.jpg list.  Is there any difference if you do it elsewhere than the Favs Bar itself?

Nah no difference, no matter from where you rearrange the bookmark, in the end it ends up going to the end of the bookmarks list where it was first added to automatically.

the user needs to rearrange the bookmark 3-4 times until the change gets registered in the sync engine.